Skip to content

A few new screenshots

Comments

• DinoDino Member Posts: 291
    edited November 2012
    srvk said:

In the second screenshot, too much of the user interface is unused. Compare it with this pic for example http://www.wuphonsreach.org/Games/BaldursGate/ThreeCows-OriginalBaldursGate.jpg. The buttons for maximizing/minimizing the dialog are not looking good (personal opinion)

But, thumps up for the small icons on character portraits. It will be a really useful feature.

Atleast there is now room enough to allow for every skill icon on the bar, instead of having them stuffed under 'extra abilities' (Yes, Cleric/Thief Im looking at you). That said, it might still be an issue. Well, one can hope!

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @Dino

Unfortunately, its still an issue.

Hopefully they'll keep improving the UI post-release.
  • DinoDino Member Posts: 291
    Doh!
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Luckily enough, there's hotkeys for us PC users :P

(although I admit I never used them, neither in BG1 nor in BG2, aside from Q, I, R)
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Tanthalas said:

@Dino

Boo! That was a lost opportunity, but I guess there must have been good reasons why this wasn't possible to implement.
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    edited November 2012
    bdeonovic said:

haters gonna hate.... I think it looks great :)

Its not hating to have a preference for the BG2 GUI colour, it looks a lot more pleasant and less out of place than the gray / blue one does:

http://i.imgur.com/Qh2OD.jpg

vs

http://www.redbull.co.uk/cs/RedBull/RBImages/000/000/733/15/photo610x343/baldurs-gate-ipad-1.jpg

The brown BG2 GUI blends in perfectly with the backgrounds of BG1, the blue one is an eyesore.
    No, the BG1 GUI is an eyesore too. The border colour they picked is too bright and clashes too much with the game IMO.
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    edited November 2012
    GUI is fine for me, i never liked the BG2 one, too "elven" for me, and i wasn't that fond of the gray stony BG1 one either.

I actually like the light blue stone theme it has. Looks like... blue marble?

Maybe, the colour difference with the game environment attracts attention, since blue is a strong colour, but it's not like you're playing something where if you get distracted it's the end. I like the feeling it gives. Maybe it's just me.
  • MatthieuMatthieu Member Posts: 386
    I prefer the "stonish" GUI of BGI and usually play with it on BGT. This one seems just perfect to me and unless there's a better GUI for BGII:EE I may try finding a mod to use this one too.
  • GoForTheEyesBooGoForTheEyesBoo Member Posts: 97
    You sir/madam are both a gentleman/lady and a scholar.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    edited November 2012

Tanthalas said:

@Dino

Boo! That was a lost opportunity, but I guess there must have been good reasons why this wasn't possible to implement.
    The reason is because by default they're all mapped to the F-keys at the top of a PC keyboard. That's also why they're grouped in fours (that's how the F-keys are laid out as well).

I suppose you could (from a design perspective) add a second row, which are operated by holding Shift + F-key. But that's the reason.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November 2012
    Mungri said:

No, the BG1 GUI is an eyesore too. The border colour they picked is too bright and clashes too much with the game IMO.

Yeah, I really have absolutely no positive things to say about this post. May this post burn in hell. How you can think that BGII UI looks better in BG1 than BG1 UI is beyond me.
    Because I've played it with both and I prefer one over the other. I dont see whats so difficult to understand.

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Personally, I had issues with the contrast in the original BG1 UI. I liked the stony concept, but some of the colors were just a bit too close to one another.

But really, I'm looking forward to seeing what modders do with the new UI. If it's easy to customize, I think we'll see a lot more "Custom UI" mods.
    Mungri said:

Because I've played it with both and I prefer one over the other. I dont see whats so difficult to understand.

There's this crazy thing called "consistent art style." BGII UI is great for BGII, it fits the setting. BG1 is a different setting. The BGII UI clashes like crazy with the art style of BG1, it's really that simple.
    edited November 2012
    But when you convert BG1 to BG2's engine entirely, it doesnt clash at all, as is the case in BGT and Tutu.

I know that you havnt / refuse to play BG1 with either of these mods, so what are you basing your opinions on? From these gameplay videos, the BG2 GUI looks beautiful in BG1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0_Yl7fw0SM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFW_Q4ky6Ss

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wV8kb9ckr8

I dont get what makes you think it 'clashes like crazy with BG1'. It looks a lot more natural any fitting than the blue / gray colour does throughout the whole game.

Everything about the BG1 engine including the GUI colour is primitive in comparison to BG2. I dont see the appeal in keeping the same colour scheme just because the first game had it, I didnt find the art style of BG1's backgrounds with the GUI consistent in any way.
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560
    Every time I see these UI screenshots, I grit my teeth and worry.

• LozLoz Member Posts: 19
    edited November 2012
    Quartz said:

Mungri said:

Yeah, I really have absolutely no positive things to say about this post. May this post burn in hell. How you can think that BGII UI looks better in BG1 than BG1 UI is beyond me.
    Um... telling a guy his post should 'burn in hell' because he has different artistic tastes from you? I happen to prefer the BG1 UI in BG1 and the BG2 UI in BG2 aswell, but this is pretty offensive... not to mention reeking of pretension.
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560
    Agree with @Mungri about the border in those screenshots. It's overdone and ugly.

Agree with @Quartz that the original BG UI worked well for that game. The more I play it, the better I like it. Tutu is an abomination in more ways than one.
    edited November 2012
    Mungri I just said it looked bad ... do you think I haven't seen it? I initially really liked the idea of merging the two games, then I saw screenshots, and heard of all the little details it breaks, and changed my mind accordingly.

Anyway I'm not convincing you of anything ... you think it looks good, I think you're crazy, it's that simple. And you probably think I'm crazy too. That's fine.

-------

That said, I'm not concerned about the new UI. It looks like they tweaked some things, like the distance between the portraits seems greater which is very appreciated as that looked weird in earlier screenies. The blue seems slightly strange but whatever, like @Tanthalas said we will get used to it, we're worrying too much. I think it looks kind of pretty; a little awkward since I've been playing the vanilla game for 13 years, but how is that surprising? I'm just glad they changed it from BGII UI, which is what I was expecting them to do out of laziness.
    Post edited by Quartz on
  • BazzaBazza Member Posts: 57
    Damn I was going to create a thead for this titled "Red Bull gives you Avariel wings". Nice find.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited November 2012

I bet someone out there is making a tiny shrine of all these screenshots :P

Ehm, well... (here).

I'm not going to add the two new ones from the Red Bull interview thread until I find them full sized, as they're just teasers in the dimensions shown.

If anyone can point me towards BG:EE screenshots I have overlooked please share! Thanks

edited November 2012
    PS, the new GUI has definitely grown on me and fully won me over. Initially I was a little jarred by it. But it was actually in comparisons with the original stone and other possible looks that I came to the conclusion that I do really like it a lot. For those who don't care for it, I'm sure that in no time the modding community will make other customized versions to suit a wide variety of tastes. I even wonder if the new GUI might not include a couple of skins to choose from. That'd be neat if it does, but gravy if so.
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    sorry to say but i dont feel the blue ui.
    edited November 2012
    Kind of late now to be making such a feature request of the devs, but FWIW: this.

• CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    I've already gotten used to the new UI colors. I hated it at first, but it has grown on me.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    As I said some months ago when the issue of the blue UI first came out, after I start playing I won't even notice there is an UI.

So unless they plan to make it flash random neon lights in my face during the game, I think the blue is nice.