Skip to content

Baldur's Gate Fanart Challenge #2: Girdle of Masculinity/Femininity

Comments

• PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    @Belgarathmth

You like your elves one way, I like 'em mine. ;)

I was sort of operating under the impression that even gender bent, Aerie would still look very effeminate, she's just too willowy not to. I've now put them side by side for comparison, since you obviously guessed it.

I'm actually tweaking the picture now to make a non-Aeriesque portrait, if you're interested, I'll sling it over in a PM when it's done and you can take a look.
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    @Syntia13 can I just say, that masculine version of Imoen is so fantastically done! I was really, thoroughly impressed with it. So good. Just wanted to vocalise how good I felt your work was :)
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @Pantalion, sure, I'd love to take a look at any more portraits that you do.

I hope that you won't bristle at what is intended as constructive criticism, but I don't think that Arius as you have posted him looks like an effeminate male. "He" is still very clearly a female with short-cropped hair. If you really want to create even an effeminate male out of the original portrait, it needs more work. There are certain facial features common to all males, no matter how "effeminate", that are not quite present in your Arius portrait as "he" now stands.

You are definitely on the right track with the mouth. Your male jaw, chin, cheeks, nose, eyes, and brow still need more work.

Let's see if I can find abstract templates by Googling. Yep, I found this website with only a first Google search, and it analyzes the situation extremely well, with many examples in the article. @Syntia13's male Jimoen fits the "perfect" male facial blueprint. Your "Arius" still isn't quite there yet. I've also seen Discovery channel specials on this issue. Here's the website:

http://www.beautyanalysis.com/mba_facevariationsbysex_page.htm
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    All males?

Challenge accepted. Google Stav Strashko. ;)

I hold to the Giant in the Playground idea of elves myself, a race where androgyny is far more common than following the rules of human appearance. You're right I may have overemphasised it with Aerin however.

This aside, not bristly at all, I consider it most helpful to receive feedback and am always interested in improving my GiMP Fu.
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    The thing that strikes me about the male Aerie is the eyeballs. They are still too femininely almond. Upper lip is still too emphasized in a feminine way as well.

But, that's about the end of my constructive criticism there. She's still an elf so being willowy and feminine even man-ized works.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    You know what would be hilarious? That aside from changing gender, the characters would als swap personalities. Imagine a borderline creepy positive Xan, or an overly masculine and brave Khalid. Or a humble Tiax, even! The possibilities! XD
  • asuzuasuzu Member Posts: 12
    This forum gets weirder every day. I understand that most original BG1 fans are well over 30 yrs now as I am, but the sheer amount or sexuality concerned treads is simply worrying.
  • Wikkid_SuhnWikkid_Suhn Member Posts: 136
    @asuzu :Sooner or later we are going to start posting nudes of ourselves.

@Syntia13 You sir have frightened me with your hauntingly accurate rendering of a male version of Branwen. I doubt I will ever look admiringly on this woman again, now that I know her dark secret.
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    Syntia13 said:

So, after the Jimmy's apparent success, I went back to Brandon. He refused to cut his hair. ;)
    What do you guys think?

Howard Carpendale, is that you? :D
  • MechaliburMechalibur Member Posts: 265
    Syntia, that is just... fantastic. Even with the long hair, Brandon looks quite manly.
  • ZaccaroZaccaro Member Posts: 39
    @Syntia13 @Pantalion @Wonderboy2402 Woah! Nice work you both have done! Syntia's work is seamless and I have a feeling you've done this before hmm? And Pantalion's Aerie is really good too though it isn't as perfect as "Jimmy" there. :D I have to say that "Minsc" made me laugh and smile for the rest of the day. This thread made my day.
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    edited November 2012
    @asuzu
    Oh don't be a stick in the mud. This is not a 'sexuality' concerned thread. This is a nice innocent fanart challenge that happens to deal with a hilarious in-game genderswapping cursed item.
    So far there is nothing that SEXUAL about it. Haven't you noticed most of the pictures are just the faces. It is not as if people are posting exposed breasts or genitals, or saying anything in general about the sexual habits, sexual orientation, or level of sexual activity of said characters. So far, even with the subject, this thread is just good, innocent fun.

Also, check the average BG gamer age poll. The majority of us are in our mid to late twenties.
  • SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    Lol, that Branwen looks like Arnold Schwarzenegger in Conan The Barbarian
    edited November 2012
    @Syntia13, you made another great gender-swap portrait with the Brandon photo. I wasn't able to imagine Branwen as a handsome man, until I saw your photo. You are a really skilled photo-retouching artist.

@LadyEibhilinRhett, @Zphal, both of your "Xana's" are looking good. We have some really talented people around here.

I'd love to see if somebody can make an attractive woman out of Canderous' photo. I would guess that the male elves are easiest to convert to female, and the human males the hardest. Maybe Canderous would have the best shot at being an attractive woman if he went toward maturity, maybe a Captain Janeway type with a bun. Or not.
  • flame867flame867 Member Posts: 32
    Lol, She Minsc, Hilarious!
  • KingsclawsKingsclaws Member Posts: 13
    Damn I missed out when is the next one ? :D
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    @Kingsclaws You haven't missed anything; this one lasts until November 30th. :)
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    @Syntia13 - Anomeena looks like something you did earlier, because your newer stuff is WAY better! (Seriously - I'm a rabid fan of your stuff most of the time!) Anomeena needs higher cheekbones withiwill really take the 'man' out of her lower face. And pull the jawbone in under the ears.

I wonder what would happen to his misogynistic ways after a week in her armor...
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078

Damn I missed out when is the next one ? :D

You haven't missed out, man. This challenge is still open for another week and a half.
  • KosonKoson Member Posts: 284
    @Syntia13 Your male Imoen and Branwen are amazing, but female Anomen has still a long way to go in order to reach them.
    @Pantalion, good picture. That's Valygar, right? I would never have guessed he would look so much like Mazzy as a woman. "She" isn't a knockout as a woman, but she's pretty. I'm glad to see some male-to-female portraits being entered.

@Syntia13, I actually kind of like your "Anomena". She isn't what we would call "beautiful", but she does look like a "she". If I didn't know that that was a transformed Anomen, I'd think I was looking at a hardened, no-nonsense warrior woman, which is probably what a transformed Ano would be.

I notice that both of the male warrior transformations remind me of Mazzy. That's kind of interesting.

I'd love to see somebody do Keldorn, and try their hand at "painting" a more mature woman.
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    I especially like Valygareena, and Anomastasia is ok, but still looks like a man, or maybe just a butch woman.
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    edited November 2012
    asuzu said:

This forum gets weirder every day. I understand that most original BG1 fans are well over 30 yrs now as I am, but the sheer amount or sexuality concerned treads is simply worrying.

Then feel free not to read or post in such threads.