Skip to content

Baldur's Gate Fanart Challenge #2: Girdle of Masculinity/Femininity

Comments

• PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    @Belgarathmth - I imagine part of it is that Valygrl is borrowing one of Mazzy's tops. ;) Both have quite pronounced cheekbones and have a similar colour scheme (yellow backgrounds for both) and a similar shade of skin tone.

I've been told quite correctly that "her" eyes are still a little too far apart for a female face, so if I were to spend more time on it, asides from cleaning up the lines, that'd be the most important change. Maybe later though.

@Syntia13 - I like it, but I found something a little "off" with it, if you understand my meaning. The right side of her jaw (right side of the picture, rather than her actual right side) is a little too angular/sharp, and the cheekbones could possibly be just a tiny bit rounder.

Another possible thing is the hair, Anomen's cowlick is fairly distinctively masculine - it's actually realistic, since it's the result of his life as a male with male hairstyles shaping it, but it does add to the manliness factor.

Finally, the forehead is too "square" (much like my Aerie's forehead was left too "round"). This hasn't come up with Jimoen (whose fringe hides it), or Bran (who's got that headband), but with Anomen's high, masculine forehead and hairstyle, it's probably the primary reason I get a very "manly" vibe from it.
  • Wonderboy2402Wonderboy2402 Member Posts: 121
    A lot of these are really good! I wonder if these couldn't be modded into the BGee game? When a character actually does have their gender switched by the belt?
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345

A lot of these are really good! I wonder if these couldn't be modded into the BGee game? When a character actually does have their gender switched by the belt?

Good idea, but afaik difficult to implement. Unlike Edwin's story-controlled switch the girdle can be applied at any time and to any character. I think you'd have to add an effect to it for every character you wanted a picture-swap for; or add an effect to each character it concerns to be implemented upon a sexchange.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    @Syntia13 That second take strikes a lot closer to the mark. Good work!
  • KosonKoson Member Posts: 284
    @Syntia13 Ania is better, but still off the mark for me. Maybe you could:
    - alter the nose a bit (I realize for Imoen and Branwen you didn't change it), make it slightly more narrow at the bridge;
    - darken the ponytail, at the moment is a different, lighter shade of brown;
    - maybe, just maybe, bring down the hairline a little;
    - try narrowing a bit the face, it somehow seems too wide for "her".
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    At risk of becoming an unquestioning fan here but I think the Anomina is great, serves it's purpose and would fit in seamlessly with the pre-existing portraits.
  • PhillipDaiglePhillipDaigle Member Posts: 654
    Syntia13 said:

So, after the Jimmy's apparent success, I went back to Brandon. He refused to cut his hair. ;)
    What do you guys think?

ahaha i'm dyin' here
  • Raistlin82Raistlin82 Member Posts: 256
    Pantalion said:

Just a quick one.

Which is...?

Valygar and Mazzy's bastard lovechild?

• Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    @Raistlin82: Please stay civil. People here are posting their own attempts at this fanart challenge and put effort into their work. No need for condescending talk.
  • @LadyEibhilinRhett & @Zphal Nice drawings, the photoshops are great but your drawingsskills are also great ( and i think its ever harder to do)
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Her neck looks a little thick, but maybe it's just the shadows. Very impressive!
  • Raistlin82Raistlin82 Member Posts: 256
    edited November 2012
    Syntia13 said:

@Raistlin82 If you are making a joke, it is helpful to add an emoticon to let the reader know that.

I guess you're right. :)
    I wrote it quickly, and I didn't even think about the off chance of the author taking offense.
    And in fact, well... the author didn't.

Somebody else did. Somebody who likes bossing others around (as I found out from some private messages I got from other users regarding her) and used my post as an excuse to do just that.
    What can I say? False accusations and hipocrisy get me in a bad mood. :)

PS: once again... I really DO like the Mazzy (?) piece, I just find it interesting and funny that it looks a lot like Valygar (?). Or, you know, the other way around...
    edited November 2012
    I prefer FemCernd to the original.
    how are you doing these things!
  • eksterekster Member Posts: 234
    Okay, some of these are freakishly good... to the point that I just might want to add them to BG:EE for my next playthrough... only problem will be is that I'll keep thinking of whoever gets that portrait as the original character that got a sex change instead of a whole different character whenever I'd see that picture. :p
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Cern is awesome, Heardalia.... I can see the pain it caused you, especially since ManHaer has this weird inverse curve to his jawline and funky sunken cheeks. I don't think the picture angle does any favours either, so I'm not sure what might be done with it.

@Raistlin82 - I confess I wasn't sure if you were trying to be humorous or critical, but figured it was unnecessary to comment either way. It is intended to be fem-Valygar, but it is indeed a strange coincidence that Mazzy and he share a similar skin tone and facial features.
    edited November 2012
    I agree that the Haerdalice looks strange, could be weird material you were working with to begin with!

I was wondering if maybe you had reduced the amount that the eyes were sunken under the brow, making the face look a little flat?
    Comparing the two, the male version has far mare shadow under the top of the eye socket, whaddya think?

+cool website!
  • IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    Syntia13 said:

@Raistlin82 If you are making a joke, it is helpful to add an emoticon to let the reader know that. I'm not the author of the pic you commented on, and yet my reaction to your post was "Ouch". A simple " ;) " would have greatly softened that.

Back on topic, another old file. You can tell it's old, because nowadays I would have left the tattoos unchanged. I modified it quite a bit, so it's kind of like "Carpet People" - not what I drew back then, and not what I would draw from scratch today. You could say it's a bastard child of the old me and the current me. ;P

I do believe the neck is a little thick compared to the new Jawline. It is however, fan-bloody-tastic. I am tempted to steal female cernd for my own nefarious uses... (for a player character at some point)
  • sebassebas Member Posts: 56
    This challenge is awesome fun. And so are you guys. Keep at it! :D
  • KosonKoson Member Posts: 284
    Syntia13 said:

I think I'll do Mazzy next, turning girls into guys seems to be easier than the other way round). ;)

Well, Cernd turned out to be a really good male to female change :).
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    If Cernd was female, and looked like that, I might just put her in my party.
  • eksterekster Member Posts: 234
    Speaking of that Cerndina... if 'she' can get a neckjob, I would -love- to have a higher res picture of it to use for one of my charnames. It's looks really good, and fits in perfectly with the other portraits. :D
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    @Raistlin82: Passive-aggressive? Really? Look who's talking. I think your post was way more passive-aggressive, no wait, active-aggrissive than mine. Your post could have been interpreted in many ways and I just happened to interpret 'bastard love child of Valygar and Mazzy' as a negative statement, because 'bastard lovechild' still has, for as far as I know, a negative connotation up to today. As @Synthia13 said, you could have indicated your 'joke' better with an emoticon. Also, seeing your reaction to my original post, I can objectively conclude that mine was still far less offending than yours. I just don't want to see any insults flung around. It is easier to criticize art than to make it yourself, afterall. Also, forum police? Excuse me? I just pointed something out another poster could have done just as well. Because, y'know, people have different views, different opinions and thus also different interpretations of what a person is saying. I'm sorry I didn't get your so-called joke then. But such an overreaction from your side was unnecessary as well. As for these PMs you've been getting, I don't know anything about them, nor what could have provoked such a negative attitude towards me. I am a generally peaceful person, I have no tendency to being forum patrol. We have @Tanthalas for that. Also, maybe you should consider talking to me first and getting to know me before judging me on a couple of posts from others. I'd greatly appreciate it. Because I don't deserve to be badmouthed behind my back. I just don't.
    @Synthia13: Those last portraits are again very well done. You really have a talent for this kind of work. :)