Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition has been released! Visit www.planescape.com to purchase and check for details. Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition Official Soundtrack is available.
Soundtracks for BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, IWD:EE are now available in the Beamdog store.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Druidic vs clerical magic

Which is better and why?

I have a party in BGI right now that I plan on exporting and playing in BGII when I finish the game.

That means I have 3 tomes of understanding to distribute.

This is a Legacy of Bhaal game, and the party includes a druid (totem kit) and a fighter/cleric.

Who should get all 3 WIS increases?
JuliusBorisov

Comments

• Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 2,000
    You can justify either. I'm currently playing a LoB game and decided to give the tomes to the druid. That was principally to get an extra 5th level spell as they're so great for druids. However, I could equally have decided to get an extra skeleton warrior for the cleric given how wonderful they are (great in the standard game, but even better in LoB).
    EnuhalJuliusBorisov
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 1,775
    anyone with wisdom lower than 18 must NOT get the tomes because it's a waste. if you have a mage that can reach wis 18 use the appropriate number of tomes on him, and the rest doesn't matter

if both the cleric and druid have wis 18, druid should get it for the bonus lvl 5 slot (pretty good)

cleric (or fighter/cleric, doesn't matter) doesn't really need any of the bonus slots because he won't be casting a lot as he gains levels (he will be fighting a lot more) and he'll have a ton of slots by that point as well (in ToB for example). more spell slots for him will be more cosmetic than functional.
    Kloroxlelag200
  • WesboiWesboi Member Posts: 338
    Im team druid always thought clerics was overrated but that's clearly my own opinion.
  • BorekBorek Member Posts: 161
    I think it'll be more useful for the druid since i assume you haven't modified the XP tables, so it'll level fairly slowly even being single class.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 3,142
    Depends on what you want. I personally always use a Druid over a cleric.
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 164
    If druids could cast lesser restoration and raise dead, I'd pick them over clerics every time. Because they don't, I usually go with cleric.

• Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 2,000
    edited October 10
    @jsaving if you're talking raise dead then presumably you're not thinking of BG1. In SoD and BG2 there are plenty of scrolls / items that druids can use to do restoration and raise dead.
  • SkatanSkatan Member Posts: 2,431
    Druids low level spells are really, really lackluster and since WIS benefits mostly the first levels of spells, I'd argue clerics gains more from it than druids. If you can reach WIS 21, as others have said above, that can help the druid of course but is it worth it for one single extra level 5 spell? I'd rather take the added level 1-4 spells on my cleric to get a few extra utility spells and the added level 5 for another casting of ie chaotic commands.

• bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 1,775
    Skatan said:

Druids low level spells are really, really lackluster and since WIS benefits mostly the first levels of spells, I'd argue clerics gains more from it than druids. If you can reach WIS 21, as others have said above, that can help the druid of course but is it worth it for one single extra level 5 spell?

i'd say yes. the druid needs that one slot more than a cleric needs 10 lvl 1-4 slots. a cleric would also benefit from a level 5 slot, but it's really a crucial set of spells for a druid (insect plague, iron skins) and for a cleric not so much
    lelag200
  • extremeragnarokextremeragnarok Member Posts: 19
    With my playstyle, the only reason to have a cleric is for Protection From Evil, 10' radius.
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 646
    Generally I think clerics get better spells. Particularly for healing and buffing.

On the other hand druids get Iron Skins which is amazing. So much so that it’s pretty much a toss up.

Plus the elemental prince summon hla is awesome too.
  • NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 315
    The main difference is that Druids are primarily offensive spell casters or summonses while clerics are more geared for physical combat or defense. I'd give the extra spell to the Druid, simply because level 5 spells on Clerics are kind of middling while Insect Plague and Pixie dust are amazing for LoB. The only consideration is Greater Command, but Insect Plague is generally better IMO
    ThacoBell
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 614
    Avengers are a better pick than cleric, spell wise, and are useful at all levels in my view. Otherwise it's more or less up to preference come BG2, with each specializing in certain things.

But the druid ends up dominating spell wise by the end of BG1. Those wood nymphs and their spell list just add way too much to reasonably compare the two.