Skip to content

Northern Tales of the Sword Coast (NTotSC) for BG:EE (and BGT and EET) - Download

Comments

• jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,671
    I splitted the mod into components. Mainly because Keelor, Lucky arrow, Hunting hounds, Pilar and Gheldehar, and Svlast's torment are "unfinished business" (i.e. unused original game content) and therefore also restored either by bg1ub, or Jarl's Adventure Pack (BGT only), so they needed to be optional choices for compatibility.
    The fighting encounters are small, well, fighting encounters which have nothing to do with any of the quests and also some have no possibility to avoid the fight, so you either have to kill although you might not want to or you face a complete OP foe. I thought it useful to make it an own component because those have nothing to do with the main component at all.
    But all dungeons are introduced by the main component. There are no endless dungeon crawls like in DSotSC, if that is your concern.
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    Thanks. Got a spoiler question:
    Isn't Svlast the paladin that has killed his own brother for error, and the brother is coming back as a revenant?
    @Arthas Exactly. I think it's just one of his brethren though, meaning not his brother as in "same parents", but that's details.
    edited May 2019
    By the way,
    1) is there a particular reason you chose to mantain this mod? I saw a lot of "criticism" for big mods and this one is one of them.

2) why was this one chosen to be reworked by both you and K4thos ? I saw the readme and you did a ton of work. Why not another big mod?
    Post edited by Arthas on
    @Arthas I took over maintenance because k4thos / @swit already did tons on that version himself, so I didn't want this work to go to waste. But I underestimated the amount of time and dedication it took to make it independent of BGII and DSotSC ressources, and to close holes in quests and dialogues. Still, there are players who love the old BG1 mods and one of them is the reason I considered it, and I think NTotSC turned out quite fine.
    and @k4thos too.

By the way, did anyone compare the nim furlwing quest from NTSOC with the one added by Unfinished bussiness?
  • benibielbenibiel Member Posts: 8
    Arthas wrote: »
    By the way, did anyone compare the nim furlwing quest from NTSOC with the one added by Unfinished bussiness?

The dialogue etc. is similar (or exactly the same? It's been a while since I've played either). The encounter happens in slightly different locations (UB= either Larswood or Peldvale, NTotSC= one of the added areas) and you get a slightly different reward - one you get a scroll of Summon Cow, one some kind of Summon Animal (uh, I don't remember which is which because I don't like it and it always goes wrong and she gets angry at me and just aargh.)

The rest of the mod I love and is on my always-install list, and for one of the "big mods" it fits really well into the original game.
    What is Knights Grabmal Mod?
    @Arthas
    What is Knights Grabmal Mod?

That's a questmod for ToB which is not finished yet.
    Good :)

Add an evil path, please ahah
    Good :)

Add an evil path, please ahah

Of course. ;)
    While we are at it, you can spoiler yourself with some of the areas here (open the spoiler in the first post). No ETA, but hopefully an alpha this year. In German. :p
    Were you inspired by Titan quest, or are these from here?

Did you make them yourself? These area seems cool and from the game itself. Actually, one could think that other Gods (other than the classical ones) are trying to interfere with charname.
    The area artist is @Acifer (and the linked thread is not about the mod but about the area art, just in case anyone tries to translate that). There is no official thread about the questmod yet. (It wasn't supposed to be known yet, but @Arthas just had to go through mod ressources and find compatibility notes, hadn't you. :D ) I'll leave the decision to Acifer to spoil content. But yes, it's a god's temple, so to say, and it's one that is not common in BGII yet.
    I keep getting lost in readmes to see what's the work a modder did on a mod. Actually, I love reading changelogs exactly for this reason. Let me assess how much work was poured into it and if it's worth trying.
    You just rose to my favorite player of the month. Seriously.
    (No, I'm not really having such a list but if I had one, you'd be there!)
  • IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 521
    That sounds exciting! If you need playtesters by autumn, I'm probably going to tackle an EET run (finally! XD )
    Isewein wrote: »
    That sounds exciting! If you need playtesters by autumn, I'm probably going to tackle an EET run (finally! XD )

Thank you for the interest, but there are following problems: currently the mod is in German, and it is for the original engine. EE(T) version would come after that, and translating into English is something I loath. Really. Look at the sad state my Solaufein mod is in. So an English version would take some more time unless we find willing souls who help with the tranlsation. (And I need to finish the mod first.)
  • IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 521
    I see. I'm just so excited that any new quest mod is being worked on, really! Especially coming from you it will undoubtedly be quality content; no matter how long we will have to wait for it.

This is why I've been holding off on a new playthrough. There is some nice mods only available for EE, and I really would like to finally try out SoD, but then again so much functionality (and new development, as it would seem) are still limited to BGT. A perfectionist's nightmare, 'tis!

Oh, and I'm sorry for never finishing the proofreading of your Solaufein mod - I've had a pretty crazy year privately and at work. Maybe I'll get back to it later this year.
    No worries! I know how it goes myself. And thank you for the kind words! 90% of the quest in the "Grabmalmod" mod is from Knight, though, so it's better than what I create. ;)
    edited May 2019
    1) Am I the only one that found the quest concerning Shaella extremely confusing?

You are told two differents stories and you don't even know who to believe.

Shaella says you have to go under candlekeep, the other mage tells you that there is an area (I couldn't find the area nor it was clear enough which area) where you can find the book. I actually explored around to no avail.

The fact also that one points to you to a certain place, while the others to another, seems really "confusing". Especially because the place you are pointed to can be explored after much time (you have to switch chapter) and the fact that I could explore around the area that I was pointed to, with no clear explanation of where to go left me disappointed. Where is the Area the mage points me to?

2) Also... another question: I've found a key near a house inside a tree in the area below Beregost. Do you know if it's from this mod or Ascalon pack?
    1. Shaella is obviously out of her mind - she already read the book. The man outside should be the one with the more sound quest info. The entrance to the quest area is in the Fire Leaf Forest area in the south, between the two rivers on teh island is the travel trigger.

2. This is from NTotSC:
    the key is for the desc of the mage Haeball who resides in the tower in Larswood.
    I get it. But the mage is too vague too about where you are supposed to go.

Beside... how are you supposed to get that key "normally"? I mean, I found it thanks to the highlight function but I would never found it otherwise. Do you get suggestions ingame?
    The entry in Haeball's journal is all you get for the key.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited May 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Jastey, sorry to hijack but I saw you released a new mod, imoen4ever

COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    @Arthas ;) Still in development. I'll make a proper announcement when it's finished content-wise.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited May 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @subtledoctor Thanks for the feedback! I'm all open to nerfing the fights, but I'm not good at designing valid (in D&D terms) stats&thac0 and stuff. Reducing the number of fire slamanders is easy, making the tanar'ri lesser ones (if there are such in BGII) might also be possible, but giving Haeball and the orc priests proper scripts is something I'd need help with. So, if anyone wants to nerf the mentioned fights (maybe even depending on game difficulty) please give me a call!
    I could check Haeball's scripts, though, as he should have a generic mage script assigned.