Skip to content

New Planescape game?

I am not sure if anyone else has seen or posted this, but this may be a clue about the next game from Beamdog.

http://www.pcgamer.com/a-new-planescape-game-might-be-in-development-at-beamdog/

Comments

• FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited November 2017
    It wouldn't be inconsistent with the somewhat demonic images we have seen, or the steampunkish interface elements.

I think the Blood War has been mentioned too.
    Post edited by Fardragon on
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    If it lets you properly create a character like IWD and BG, and the combat system is reminiscent of those two games then I'm down with it regardless of the setting.

If it forces you to play a character like PST does and it has crappy combat then I'm gonna have to skip it. PST is mind-numbingly boring to the point where it feels more like a chore than a game. I don't understand the praise. And anyone that feels like replying to this post with "oh you just don't get it", no, I get it. I just don't like it.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    But you just said you don't get it :P

Anyway, that's some nice news!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AndrasteAndraste Member Posts: 78
    Dev6 said:

If it forces you to play a character like PST does and it has crappy combat then I'm gonna have to skip it. PST is mind-numbingly boring to the point where it feels more like a chore than a game. I don't understand the praise. And anyone that feels like replying to this post with "oh you just don't get it", no, I get it. I just don't like it.

Planescape: Torment is one of the best interactive narratives I've ever played (maybe the best) and also a terrible RPG. For me the former outweighs the latter, but I wouldn't disagree with anyone who found the fixed protagonist and awful combat too much to overcome.

So I'd certainly like to see a game in the Planescape setting that a) let's you make a character and b) has non-terrible combat. (The PST UI was also awful, but Beamdog already fixed that in the Enhanced Edition.)
    Andraste said:

Dev6 said:

Planescape: Torment is one of the best interactive narratives I've ever played (maybe the best) and also a terrible RPG. For me the former outweighs the latter, but I wouldn't disagree with anyone who found the fixed protagonist and awful combat too much to overcome.

So I'd certainly like to see a game in the Planescape setting that a) let's you make a character and b) has non-terrible combat. (The PST UI was also awful, but Beamdog already fixed that in the Enhanced Edition.)
    I have a feeling that if PST was a book I'd probably be able to enjoy it. As it is though... I just can't.
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited November 2017
    Modrons Cube and another area are the only two places that REALLY test your patience with tedious combat, from what I recall. The rest is quite mild, bad combat yes...But still pretty mild.
    I wasn't bothered about the combat in PST - if you find yourself in a lot of fights you are playing it wrong anyway.

T:ToN is the game with really awful combat.

What I would want from another Planescape game is it retains the humour of the first, not like T:ToN, which takes itself so serioudly that it disapears up its own back passage.
  • redlineredline Member Posts: 296
    edited November 2017
    Fardragon said:

I wasn't bothered about the combat in PST - if you find yourself in a lot of fights you are playing it wrong anyway.

I agree, and that speaks volumes about PS:T's design shortcomings. It's like the inverse of Deus Ex: HR, which gave players loads of opportunities to be a non-combat character then threw them at bosses who had to be taken down in combat. PS:T, meanwhile, has a complex combat system that is basically meant to be ignored.

I enjoyed it much more when I treated it like a point-and-click adventure a la Monkey Island. It's definitely not to be played like Baldur's Gate.
    You can't not find yourself in lots of combat in PS:T because the game is packed harder with filler combat than a Diablo clone.
  • redlineredline Member Posts: 296
    edited November 2017
    scriver said:

You can't not find yourself in lots of combat in PS:T because the game is packed harder with filler combat than a Diablo clone.

That's Black Isle/Obsidian's MO, for sure. It was true for them in the IWD/PS:T era and Pillars of Eternity was no different. Heck, The Stick of Truth was stuffed to the gills with pointless combat too.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    scriver said:

The good thing is that you can run past most of the filler enemies without having to fight them.
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,174
    Planescape may have benefited from not being wedded to the AD&D ruleset. A social conflict mechanic with the option to escalate to physical violence - e.g. from Dogs in the Vineyard- may have suited the game better.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Dev6 said:

Andraste said:

Dev6 said:

I have a feeling that if PST was a book I'd probably be able to enjoy it. As it is though... I just can't.
    Ok. Here you go.

http://www.wischik.com/lu/senses/pst-book.html

It's also one of the goodies included when you get PST from GOG.
    Mantis37 said:

Planescape may have benefited from not being wedded to the AD&D ruleset. A social conflict mechanic with the option to escalate to physical violence - e.g. from Dogs in the Vineyard- may have suited the game better.

Planescape is presumably part of the D&D IP, so any future Planescape game would have to use 5e rules (which at least means it wouldn't be using the same combat system as PST).
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited November 2017
    Fardragon said:

So the right way to play is running away from most fights because the combat system is awful? lol

scriver said:

The good thing is that you can run past most of the filler enemies without having to fight them.
    You can run past most enemies in BG and IWD too, that's not the point.
    chimaera said:

Dev6 said:

I don't understand the praise.

The praise comes from the reactivity. For all that you have to play the tno, the game pays attention to what you make of him. If he is wise or charismatic, if he commits lawful or chaotic deeds, and so on. An evil, wise mage will play differently from a good aligned, but dumb fighter.

By comparison, the BG series lets you create whomever you want, but most of the time you just play the generalist charname. The biggest reaction you can get is... which (if any) NPCs is going to hit on charname in BG2. IWD has some dialogues for flavor, but it plays like a heroic, 'save the world' story, even should your entire party consist of evil halfling barbarians.

At which point it comes down to the question: what do you understand under "properly create a character"? Because if most of the choices made at character creation are cosmetic only, like in IWD and BG, then in my opinion that's not something to be praised.
    I'm not saying BG and IWD are perfect, but I think that kind of character creation has many more possibilities than PST.
    An evil wise mage plays differently than a good dumb fighter, but that doesn't change the fact that you're still playing as TNO. Oh you want to play as a woman? A dwarf? A nature-loving druid? Well that's too bad.
    I understand you enjoy PST, I don't. You think BG/IWD character creation is mostly cosmetic, I don't. Let's just agree to disagree. I know a lot of people love PST and I didn't mean to get into a fight with anyone, I was just stating my opinion.
    I will, however, agree that the way you can change TNO's alignment during the actual game is an interesting mechanic that could be reused in a new game.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited November 2017
    Dev6 said:

Fardragon said:

So the right way to play is running away from most fights because the combat system is awful? lol

No, the right way to play is to talk your way out of fights. The smattering of trash mobs can easily be dealt with a few quick spells.

The combat system isn't very different from Baldur's Gate.

Hint: don't dump-stat wisdom.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Just thought that I'd add a link to another article with these rumours:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-11-14-beamdog-new-planescape-torment-unravel

So Planescape: Unravelled maybe?
    Yes, the other article mentioned that title, but I hadn't made the connection.
    Planescape without Ravel? NEVER!
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    My guess would be that unravelled could refer to the great factols war, which permanently changed the nature of the planescape setting
    It's clearly a pun on the witch Ravel, although the title may have multiple meanings.

One option, if you wanted to make something similar to PST, would be to have a de-powered Ravel as protagonist. However, I think it more likely that this will be a more BG-like take on the setting, or Dragon Age-like, since David Gaider is head writer. Ravel could be the antagonist, she could be fun if she appears throughout taunting the PC.
    tbone1 said:

Maybe the main quest involves the composer of “Bolero”.

I love you so much right now.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    If the new game is really going to be in the Planescape setting, I for one will be very disappointed. I am just not into the steampunk, weird, Lovecraftian, other-dimension tone of the whole thing at all.

I also need a good, engaging character building and combat tactics system to enjoy a game. I'm not interested in spending my gaming time with an interactive novel, and I still haven't bought or played PST:EE.

That doesn't mean it wouldn't be a successful project for them. They just won't have me as a customer for it. If enough other people are into it and will buy it, then that's great. Enjoy.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Dev6 said:

tbone1 said:

Maybe the main quest involves the composer of “Bolero”.

I love you so much right now.
    Don’t tell my wife. I tend to save my best Mystery Science Theatre 3000 comments for her.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666

If the new game is really going to be in the Planescape setting, I for one will be very disappointed. I am just not into the steampunk, weird, Lovecraftian, other-dimension tone of the whole thing at all.

I also need a good, engaging character building and combat tactics system to enjoy a game. I'm not interested in spending my gaming time with an interactive novel, and I still haven't bought or played PST:EE.

That doesn't mean it wouldn't be a successful project for them. They just won't have me as a customer for it. If enough other people are into it and will buy it, then that's great. Enjoy.

and i enjoy rpgs more for characters, story and world building and less because of combat.

also just because it's going to set in the planscape setting does not mean it's gonna play like torment. as tides showed thee story of torment only works once so it's more likely gonna be it's own thing in the same setting.

keep in mind that if we count mask of the betrayer we have only explored 5 planes at most. there is a ton of the planes we have never seen.