Skip to content

SOD-NPCs in SOA

Hi!
Since I've been absent for approx 18 months I've probably missed this discussion several times but here goes...

Looking through posts here on the board it's quite obvious that quite a few (to say the least) would like the four NPCs from SOD as well as Baeloth added to SOA.

Doing this would probably take a bit of work and therefore cost a bit but I am willing to bet that the average player would be willing to make a small economic contribution, say $ 5-8, to Beamdog to see this happen.

This would also make the game even more replayable as more NPCs mean more parties, whereas a new area is exciting the first time you play it and then you kind of know it.

Would this be a way forward? Would the devs consider this?

/J

Comments

• megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    modders have to do it. and most of them are working on other projects to focus on adding the sod npcs.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Yeah, Beamdog has stated that they have no plans to add more content to BG2. Personally I think HAVE TO do something to close the lingering plot threads from SoD.
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    edited November 2017
    It is inexcusable to introduce plot threads right at the very end of SOD and then not close them.
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    edited November 2017
    There is an existing mod for the bear NPC already.

I know of two mods that are under construction
    - one to rescue Cealar and make her a joinable NPC for ToB, this way you can have all your former antagonists in your final party: Sarevok, Irenicus (Longer Road mod), Caelar (mod under way)
    - a mod to make Corwin joinable already in BG1 part when you reach the town and then make her continuous into SoD. The friendship has more time to establish this way and can turn to romance during SoD. It seems that this is supposed to end with SoD nevertheless.

(- there is also a mod that brings Skie back to life in BG2, however this is not picked up by the Skie NPC mod - due to some animosity of the different modders, it seems.)

Those are still rumours from SHS and G3 forums, I only know that I will be invited to be beta tester for the Corwin mod provided it will be done after all.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666

It is inexcusable to introduce plot threads right at the very end of SOD and then not close them.

they were going to if the npcs were popular enough. then the drama happened and i guess beamdog just lost motivation to add them into bg2,
  • verlaineverlaine Member Posts: 47

There is an existing mod for the bear NPC already.

I know of two mods that are under construction
    - one to rescue Cealar and make her a joinable NPC for ToB, this way you can have all your former antagonists in your final party: Sarevok, Irenicus (Longer Road mod), Caelar (mod under way)
    - a mod to make Corwin joinable already in BG1 part when you reach the town and then make her continuous into SoD. The friendship has more time to establish this way and can turn to romance during SoD. It seems that this is supposed to end with SoD nevertheless.

(- there is also a mod that brings Skie back to life in BG2, however this is not picked up by the Skie NPC mod - due to some animosity of the different modders, it seems.)

Those are still rumours from SHS and G3 forums, I only know that I will be invited to be beta tester for the Corwin mod provided it will be done after all.

Hey @PaulaMigrate you should tell people that those mods you talk about are mostly EET mods. You can't have that Corwin mod in normal game and that Skie stuff was only in my EET with the Sandrah mod.
    Single BG2EE has only Wilson exiension.
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719

they were going to if the npcs were popular enough. then the drama happened and i guess beamdog just lost motivation to add them into bg2,
    Which is a shame really, because the SoD npcs are incredibly interesting. I specially loved M'khiin.
    I would love it if there was a "rescue Caelar from hell" quest in BG2. An official one, not a mod one. It's such a missed opportunity...
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    Dev6 said:

Which is a shame really, because the SoD npcs are incredibly interesting. I specially loved M'khiin.
    I would love it if there was a "rescue Caelar from hell" quest in BG2. An official one, not a mod one. It's such a missed opportunity...
    Writing a rescue Caelar that everybody likes is probably impossible. Beamdog will burn their fingers like with mostly eveything else they did. Be it good or not so good, some people just reject it beacause it's a *change* (aka sacrilege).
    This makes it a modder's task. You install it if you like the topic and even if you don't like the way the modder interpreted the issue, so what. You can skip it. Having it as part of vanilla game already gives it a different status for people, it's always more than just an optional addon, even if Beamdog would technically implement it as one.
    I see Skie's return in a similar light. If a modder solves it and you don't agree - just skip the mod. If it's official game, half the people dislike it whichever way it's done.
    I would love to see M'Khiin come over to SoA officially. Caelar is definitely a modding task. Which I also greatly want.
    So you think Beamdog shouldn't add Caelar to BG2 because... People complain about everything Beamdog does, whether it's good or bad.
    I can't agree with that. I understand the point being made, but I don't agree with it.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    edited November 2017
    It’s a bad argument. My take on this is just that the writers are happy with the resolution as it is. Simple as that. They won’t make a continuation because they don’t want to. A continuation of the tale of the Shining Lady is just what other people want. I actually doubt Beamdog ever intended for a Caelar BG2.

Yes, I’m writing a mod for that. But that’s because I like writing fanfiction, not because I don’t like how the plot was ended.
    Post edited by TheArtisan on
    @Artemius_I Still stoked for that BTW.
  • MrSextonMrSexton Member Posts: 396

What do you mean by "the drama"?
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    This might be an unpopular opinion , but I think that Caelar's ending was well deserved and rescuing her in either SoA or ToB is a bit premature. On the other hand, I would add a dialogue or cutscene about Skie in the end of SoA , maybe a new dialogue line from Queen Ellesime.
  • Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    edited November 2017
    MrSexton said:

I think it refers to the shitstorm that raged after beamdog put a transgender character in the game. One that was only revealed to be so when you prompted a person to talk about themselves. Much ado about nothing. There can be, in fact players can perpetrate, Mass murder, ok. Crushing poverty, ok. Prostitutes, ok. Slavery, ok. An emotionally abusive, workaholic, absentee husband who is also a paladin and willing execute a man and imprison his own wife for adultery, and who is also a racist on the side (Viconia), ok. You can poison and utterly destroy an environmentally pristine and sacred area, ok. You can slaughter an entire wedding party , ok. Those don't incite ragequits and bad-mouthing. Soul-searching and questions of identity, not so much. Oh, the stupidity.
    Post edited by Contemplative_Hamster on
    FFS...
    edited November 2017

MrSexton said:

I think it refers to the shitstorm that raged after beamdog put a transgender character in the game. One that was only revealed to be so when you prompted a person to talk about themselves. Much ado about nothing. There can be, in fact players can perpetrate, Mass murder, ok. Crushing poverty, ok. Prostitutes, ok. Slavery, ok. An emotionally abusive, workaholic, absentee husband who is also a paladin and willing execute a man and imprison his own wife for adultery, and who is also a racist on the side (Viconia), ok. You can poison and utterly destroy an environmentally pristine and sacred area, ok. You can slaughter an entire wedding party , ok. Those don't incite ragequits and bad-mouthing. Soul-searching and questions of identity, not so much. Oh, the stupidity.
    I remember back when SoD was released, I saw a lot of people complaining about it. Saying it was pandering to SJWs and filled with PC culture. I was honestly somewhat apprehensive to play it the first time (you can read my thoughts here, written before I finished the game).
    The controversy was ridiculous, to say the least. Mizhena isn't exactly an interesting character, but she's far from the in-your-face-PC-SJW-bullshit I expected from reading the complaints and you're not even forced to interact with her or listen to her story.
    Apparently some people also had a problem with M'khiin saying something like "Oh so you think all Goblins look alike? Racist.".
    So, what can we gather from all this? That people are freaking idiots.
    SoD is great, and it's a shame that Beamdog kinda got their fingers burnt because of idiotic adult children who can't do anything but complain about everything.
  • RedrakeRedrake Member Posts: 426
    I thought that Beamdog reluctance to add more content to BG2 relates to their dormant conflict with WotSC over not being able to create add-ons like SoD, as WotSC is reluctant to allow content not made in 5E.

I find it hard to believe that the Mizhena issue would cause that much storm in a chamber pot. In that case Beamdog are right, ungrateful sods deserve no gifts.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    Redrake said:

I thought that Beamdog reluctance to add more content to BG2 relates to their dormant conflict with WotSC over not being able to create add-ons like SoD, as WotSC is reluctant to allow content not made in 5E.

I find it hard to believe that the Mizhena issue would cause that much storm in a chamber pot. In that case Beamdog are right, ungrateful sods deserve no gifts.

And you would be right to believe that the "Mizhena issue" wasn't the only reason for the shitstorm.

It was very useful however for deflecting much of the valid criticism.

Redrake said:

And you would be right to believe that the "Mizhena issue" wasn't the only reason for the shitstorm.

I haven't finished my first playthrough yet and I find the game to be very good. What "valid" critisism was there?

/J
  • Redrake said:

I played it, enjoyed it, didn't mind mizhena, found no other issue. What issues do you have in mind? I must have missed them.
    SoD is more like a fusion of BG2 and IWD and a straight BG1 style. A lot of players who like BG1 the most out of the series find SoD to be underwhelming. Some people hate it purely because of nostalgia and it dares to call itself a BG game when the original is perfect in every way and rgbrbgrgrl! I believe @UnderstandMouseMagic falls into the first example.

There ARE valid criticisms. It does railroad really hard and you can be locked out of content. There also times where you can clearly tell that they sacrificed gameplay for the sake of the narrative. That being said, its my second favorite entry in the series.

@DJKajuru I think Caelar got off EASY. She achieved exactly what she wanted, never got called to task for the senseless death she caused. Never recognized that what she did was wrong. AND was able to continue to pretend to be noble and self sacrificing by staying behind to kill a few demons. I want to bring her back to so that she has to actually deal with the consequences of her actions.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    @ThacoBell

Thankyou.

@MrSexton

Valid critisism would be for me,

Bugs, lots of bugs.

Ignoring that it was a carry on from BG and therefore should have allowed the same sort of freedoms of character development. For instance, BG allowed you to play in a variety of different ways and if you chose some of them, SOD makes no sense whatsoever with regards to your character's motivation.

Poor writing (of course that's IMO).

The ending.
    From killing the demon onwards it's not a game, it's a lecture.

Far, far too much foreshadowing that reduces the impact of Irenicus in BG2.

Far, far too much using highish level enemies to make the game which again lessens BG2.

As has been said, I prefer BG to BG2. However I can recognise BG2 is a masterpiece of a game and you should act very, very cautiously before impacting on a masterpiece.

The ridiculous way Beamdog answered any critisism by basically pulling the "we're much better people than you and if you don't like the game it's because you are a bigot".
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    As a bigot I'm really offended by this argument.

My only problem with the SoD-BG2 relation is the open plot for the Soultaker. Other than that I'm cool.
  • RedrakeRedrake Member Posts: 426
    ThacoBell said:

@DJKajuru I think Caelar got off EASY. She achieved exactly what she wanted, never got called to task for the senseless death she caused. Never recognized that what she did was wrong. AND was able to continue to pretend to be noble and self sacrificing by staying behind to kill a few demons. I want to bring her back to so that she has to actually deal with the consequences of her actions.

I finished SoD less than a week ago for the first time. With a blackguard. The fact that Caelar ended as Belhifet's blackguard and I had to kill her in turn made her death more sweet.

The giant loophole for me however was the whole Belhifet plot. Why would he bother attempting to return to the Prime Material Plane, when he is still forbidden to return for the next almost 30 years? (he was banished in IWD1 in 1281 DR, so he must spend 100 years in Hell before he can return).

Yeah, a plot that melds both IWD and BG1 plots is interesting, but seriously, it warrants a new game, not a sub-plot.

So basically, I like everything about SoD, except for the main plot motivation.