Skip to content

Suggestions Thread: Game Mechanics (scripts, spells, feats, combat)

Comments

• BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    quadruple and sextuple posts.
  • NecroDudeNecroDude Member Posts: 2
    Could the vampiric regen script be looked at and fixed so as to apply every hit instead of randomly? I think that was a bug that's never been fixed, and possibly had previously been hard-coded
  • IndyWendieGoIndyWendieGo Member Posts: 62
    Yeah, sorry guys. Apparently there's some kind of automated filter or something. Though I had wrote those almost two days ago. I got my question semi-answered by Niv in the discord though- Bullet casting should be fixed for those actually wondering; though it probably needs testing.
  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    I would like to have a Practised Spellcaster feat in NWN.
    I always found it was a pain to multiclass spellcasters due to the lack of this feat..
  • AcaosAcaos Member Posts: 13
    Please add a function which will tell us if the current hit is a critical hit in an on-hit spell cast script.
  • RichieGroinstabRichieGroinstab Member Posts: 7
    Ranger and Druid have been in dire need of a re-balance for a long time.
    The 3.5 Ranger mod has long been an essential one for me and is an excellent reference.
    Assassins similarly benefit from 3.5ish rule updates ala Kaedrin's NWN2 Pack, and I thought spellbooks brought some needed depth to the class (along with Alignment alternative Avenger).

Would be nice to see some more of the 3.5 feats come in that specifically encourage multiclassing a bit more, like practiced spellcaster etc. As it stands it's very hard to make a viable fighter/Mage or Rogue/Mage.
    Prestige classes that bridge this gap like Eldritch knight, Arcane trickster, Spellsword and Bladesinger would be nice too.

Harper Scout's favoured enemies are currently incompatible with the Ranger's too.
    The Harper Scout in particular could really use a complete rebalance to be honest, I have never found a viable way to play one, it feels like you are massively penalising yourself for the sake of a little bit of RP.
    Purple Dragon knight too.
  • HarrowHarrow Member Posts: 3
    Planetouched Races are a pretty flavorful aspect of D&D missing from the base game. It'd br nice to see the likes of Aasimar, Tieflings and Genasi selectable by default. While new models would be nice, they wouldn't even be needed as the base models have been used to represent all of the above for years.

It would also be nice to see some alternative alignment options available for some archetypes, such as Avenger alongside Assassin, or some form of Brawler alongside Monk, or at least the ability to easily modify alignment restrictions on classes for those that want to, if it's not already in.
  • HunterRayder93HunterRayder93 Member Posts: 266
    Harrow said:

Planetouched Races are a pretty flavorful aspect of D&D missing from the base game. It'd br nice to see the likes of Aasimar, Tieflings and Genasi selectable by default. While new models would be nice, they wouldn't even be needed as the base models have been used to represent all of the above for years.

It would also be nice to see some alternative alignment options available for some archetypes, such as Avenger alongside Assassin, or some form of Brawler alongside Monk, or at least the ability to easily modify alignment restrictions on classes for those that want to, if it's not already in.

In D&D there are no other types of alignment other than those in the manual and in the game, unless I remember if there are really other lines, for the addition of races, it would not be bad to make the subnets as in NWN2 would be more useful , and then both theafling and Aasimar are present in OoTU so I would agree to add them, like the playable Drows, in other words all the races that are present in NWN2 in the end would be nice to have in NWN: EE the problem and that I do not know if BD is forced to have to change the rules set from 3.0 to 3.5 to insert certain races and subdivisions.
  • HarrowHarrow Member Posts: 3

Harrow said:

In D&D there are no other types of alignment other than those in the manual and in the game, unless I remember if there are really other lines, for the addition of races, it would not be bad to make the subnets as in NWN2 would be more useful , and then both theafling and Aasimar are present in OoTU so I would agree to add them, like the playable Drows, in other words all the races that are present in NWN2 in the end would be nice to have in NWN: EE the problem and that I do not know if BD is forced to have to change the rules set from 3.0 to 3.5 to insert certain races and subdivisions.
    Ahh, I didn't mean to ask for new alignments! I meant new classes that do things locked behind certain alignments, perhaps a bit differently. Avenger as a non-evil assassin type and Brawler as a non-lawful Monk type were just a few of many possible suggestions. Sub categories for races to fall under could also definitely be a good way to organize them if they see fit to add that many over time.
    Harrow said:

Harrow said:

Ahh, I didn't mean to ask for new alignments! I meant new classes that do things locked behind certain alignments, perhaps a bit differently. Avenger as a non-evil assassin type and Brawler as a non-lawful Monk type were just a few of many possible suggestions. Sub categories for races to fall under could also definitely be a good way to organize them if they see fit to add that many over time.
    So please ... be more specific next time and not people as I understand other things ;) ... said this then from my point of view you add new specialties and classes you could do, the important thing and that BD looks at a even the 3.5-3.0 manuals and adds them, always keeping the PnP line obviously, inserting classes that do not center anything in any sense apart from breaking the d & d's.

Another suggestion...

Spell/buff/effect timer

The icons that appear at the top of the screen to show what buffs are currently in effect - could we get some kind of timer graphic showing how long the effect has left - like a colored border, that works like a countdown clock around the edges of the icon, which goes down as time expires?

Would be really handy for knowing when you are in need of the next re-buff etc.

To show you how much I needed/wanted it, I originally wrote a small little app to help with this, which is available on Nexus mods (called Spell Timer), here: https://www.nexusmods.com/neverwinter2/mods/880/?

Let's also color the various icons (such as: Classes, Buff, Skill, Spell, etc ..) so that they stand out better and they do not all have the same color as it has always been.

Basically your idea is great and has a lot of sense and I agree with you.

Further to my above post, here is a rough example of what I mean...

I thank you for posting an image anyway (but was not it better if you edited the post?) Anyway you ... except that the buff icons are definitely too big unlike NWN2 that were smaller and the options rest etc. ... they were in a single drop down menu on the lower left side of the screen was more functional and clean and all party icons than your main pg were the same (as I would like a change of the genre) but returning on your speech is ... in the end this and a problem I did not remember that there is also in NWN2 at the end, that you do not see the actual spell duration timer (or summon of an evocated creature), would have liked it an added duration time for the EE version.
  • JimbobslimbobJimbobslimbob Member Posts: 206
    Yeah, should have edited. Not a biggie though is it?

From what I had heard, the developers were already working on some changes to the UI, so this felt like a no-brainer. It's one of the things I have wanted in the game for years.

I was amazed that it was never in the game to begin with to be honest. And yes, NWN 2 didn't have it either. Anyway, the example image I showed was only a very rough photoshop to illustrate my point. I believe the basic premise of my suggestion should be conveyed well enough there. Perhaps the developers could go that little bit further and improve the icons too. In-fact, I believe there was a colored icons mod on the vault, which I had used in the past.

Yeah, should have edited. Not a biggie though is it?

From what I had heard, the developers were already working on some changes to the UI, so this felt like a no-brainer. It's one of the things I have wanted in the game for years.

I was amazed that it was never in the game to begin with to be honest. And yes, NWN 2 didn't have it either. Anyway, the example image I showed was only a very rough photoshop to illustrate my point. I believe the basic premise of my suggestion should be conveyed well enough there. Perhaps the developers could go that little bit further and improve the icons too. In-fact, I believe there was a colored icons mod on the vault, which I had used in the past.

There is a mod and also used in the PW "Arena World" if I'm not mistaken is called, inserts a series of changes to the coloring icons, from the series, just contacted the developers of these mods and officially insert them as patches and the game and done .
  • NinjamestariNinjamestari Member Posts: 18
    edited November 2017
    I hope you keep the original game's stacking rules, meaning that you can stack buffs and equipment up to a certain point; I always found it stupid that if I have these gauntlets of strength, I no longer gain any benefits from Bull's Strength spell or that Belt of Giant Strength.

That being said, I'd absolutely like to see:
    - Warlocks
    - Dragon Disciples that can pick their color instead of just reds (also, give us larger wings that don't look so silly)
    Hybrid spellcaster Prestige Classes:
    - Ultimate Magus (Sorc/Wizard Hybrid)
    - Eldritch Theurge (Warlock/Arcane)
    - Eldritch Disciple (Warlock/Divine)
    - Mystic Theurge (Arcane/Divine)

- Premonition Spell that actually reflects the bonuses of PnP instead of DR. It never made any sense to me how seeing into the future would somehow prevent damage from being hit with a sword, the immunity to losing DEX bonus to AC (effectively immunity to sneak attack) and competence bonus to AC seem a lot better.
    - Overall, I'd like to see spells, feats and abilities more closely resemble their PnP 3rd edition counterparts.

Able Learner Feat.

Things I don't want to see:
    -Any increases to the limit of classes you can have. 3 is sufficient, 4 would just open the door for ridiculousness.
    -I don't want to see any +ECL races
    @Ninjamestari there are some good ideas in there but also a lot I do not agree with, like all the items listed under your "Things I don't want to see" section.
  • SeigmoraigSeigmoraig Member Posts: 14
    This has probably been said in this thread by someone but...

A quick loot feature like you guys added to Baldurs Gate would be amazing in NWN
  • NinjamestariNinjamestari Member Posts: 18

@Ninjamestari there are some good ideas in there but also a lot I do not agree with, like all the items listed under your "Things I don't want to see" section.

Understandable. I just happen to dislike ECL races and I find four-class builds to be rather ridiculous from the immersion perspective. Also, I don't want to change the original NWN meta that didn't include those. I'm glad you agree about what I consider to be the more important items ^^
    I would love to see ECL races. I would also love to see some of the 3.5e classes that were in NWN2, such as the warlock, favored soul, etc.
  • Taro94Taro94 Member Posts: 125
    What I'd like to see is the spell and feat fixes offered by the Community Patch.
  • Dark_AnsemDark_Ansem Member Posts: 992

I would love to see ECL races. I would also love to see some of the 3.5e classes that were in NWN2, such as the warlock, favored soul, etc.

Oh yeah me too.
    But the thing is, are all these things possible? Is @TrentOster, and BD in general, actually willing to add NEW content to the game, and fixing existing one?

Me too. Being able to multiclass into 4 classes would be another feature I would love to have. Especially since NWN 2 had that yet it had 10 less levels when compared to NWN 1... allowing for some of my favourite builds that are just not possible in NWN 1. With NWN 1 having a bigger max level it is all the more reason to have 4 classes.

Oh yeah me too.
    But the thing is, are all these things possible? Is @TrentOster, and BD in general, actually willing to add NEW content to the game, and fixing existing one?
    I don't know if they're likely to happen. There's been talk of doing an expansion, and NWN expansions traditionally include more player options so there's that.
  • 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 367
    Call me old fashioned but I actually like the clarity of single classed characters. And they can be built in different ways too.

Being able to multiclass with 2 classes and then add a fancy prestige class on top seems like very flexible build already. 4 classes just seems more like a DM's powergaming nightmare to me. What kind of a character concept would actually need 4 classes?
    Apparently, a lot of them, if NWN2 build guides are anything to go by.

Single-classed characters are great, but that's not the 3.0-3.5 meta.
    edited November 2017

Call me old fashioned but I actually like the clarity of single classed characters. And they can be built in different ways too.

Being able to multiclass with 2 classes and then add a fancy prestige class on top seems like very flexible build already. 4 classes just seems more like a DM's powergaming nightmare to me. What kind of a character concept would actually need 4 classes?

Character building is one of NWN's hidden awesome features and i adore it. Some of my all time favourite builds to play have been impossible to do in NWN because of it, yet can be done in NWN 2.

Take a peek at the link below to see what you can do in NWN 2... those are some of my favourite builds:

http://nwn2db.com/builds/member/?916
  • Dark_AnsemDark_Ansem Member Posts: 992
    There's been talk of an ACTUAL expansion? Something ala Siege of Dragonspear?

OMG.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    edited November 2017

Further to my above post, here is a rough example of what I mean...

That's the best idea for an addition to NWN:EE that I've ever seen so far. I only wish I had a second monitor so I could use your mod until your icon border timers become reality.
  • 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 367
    While the duration monitor does seem handy it raises a few questions. Should you see the duration if you are not the caster? How would you know? And should the icons be remade into something more... clear?

Another idea would be to color code the icons instead of the partial frames, for faster reading. Green > Yellow > Red > Red and flashing just before fading.