Skip to content

Suggestions Thread: Miscellaneous (Minor uncategorized tweaks and changes)

191011121315»

Comments

• Bogdanov89Bogdanov89 Member Posts: 8
    Please consider adding a UI button to the level-up UI window to automatically put skill points into skills that the player already invested in.
    So if the player in previous level-ups put points into Concentration, Heal and Spellcraft the new UI button during level-up would upon pressing place new skill points into Conc, Heal and Spellcraft.
    This would reduce the tedious skill point clicking needed when advancing many levels at once.

Also please consider officially implementing the benefits of the famous mod "Henchman Inventory & Battle AI Mod".

The mod as it is right now is outdated and buggy (even the steam workshop version) but you wizards at Beamdog can properly implement all of its great features and design upgrades :)
    Proont
  • Bogdanov89Bogdanov89 Member Posts: 8
    edited February 2021
    Please consider going through all the bugs and improvements brought by the Community Patch created by Shadooow.
    It has many bug fixes and improvements to various aspects of NWN that would definitely be a great source of inspiration for Beamdog developers.

Also please improve the map (minimap?) scale for 1080p resolution.
    Right now the map size options are incredibly small, very small and large but needlessly zoomed in (whole map isnt shown).
    Easiest way to see this problem is on big zones like the Beggars district in original NWN where the first two "zoom" levels for the map are too small and the third one is large enough but fails to show the entire map (map must be scrolled left/right and up/down).
    Post edited by Bogdanov89 on
    Allanon81ricoyung
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    edited March 2021
    Perhaps it's a minor change but it would be useful to expose some of the "game engine" rows used in dialog.tlk so that they can be easily changed per module in the same way that 2da references to dialog.tlk rows can be changed. Maybe put the references in a 2da and call it system_text.2da or something.

The use case for this is to more easily allow overwriting of various engine text outputs such as initiative rolls and other combat rolls.

So as a follow up on this the latest development build includes the new function that solves this.
    // Overrides a given strref to always return sValue instead of what is in the TLK file.
    // Setting sValue to "" will delete the override
    void SetTlkOverride(int nStrRef, string sValue="");

The issue is that this does not account for custom tokens and instead of parsing them like a tlk entry it includes them as plain text.
    rinz9m8wihd8.jpg

Here are some suggestions to improve it.

It would be nice and useful if the function could also use custom tokens. That way there is more room to change things dynamically.

Currently inputting "" to the replacement string reverts the override to the original entry. This is useful but I can't think of a way to simply remove the row such that no line is output. Having some kind of way to remove the line from chat output log would be nice. For example usually when you use send message or speak string by resref and the reference is empty then nothing happens. It would be nice to have some behavior like that for this too.

Another thought is having a function to map one row to another row in another tlk file.

Edit: To add to this it turns out that you can only override tlk entries for the creation screen on local modules. There are probably reasons for this or reasons why it's complicated to send server information to the client during character creation. However I would suggest if it's possible that this could be a potentially useful change. A persistent world could provide additional and useful information in the standard description boxes if they can send their tlk overrides during character creation.
    Post edited by FreshLemonBun on
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    An addition to my previous statement. It seems that the changes can actually be forced on the client's character creation screen if they join a server. The issue is that it seems existing changes aren't received by the client. The change needs to be made while the client is connected and before the client sees the text. For example if the client joins and then waits about six seconds then a call to SetTlkOverride in the module's heartbeat script will have an effect on the player's character creation text. So the issue is anticipating a player joining the sever, where OnModuleLoad occurs too soon, and OnClientEnter seems to trigger once the character has been selected and the player clicks to join. What is missing is either:
    a) an event to hook into a player starting a module/joining a server (OnPlayerJoin)
    b) a way to synchronize changes previously made to any clients joining after the change, such as
    SetTlkOverride(int nStrRef, string sValue="", int nSync=FALSE)

• BaireswolfBaireswolf Member Posts: 22
    Perhaps it should go in another thread but, what about an option for the save character function to allow us in single player to overwrite the original character instead of saving a New instance.

It would let us save character progress MP way but in a SP mod using DB function to bypass save games while updating the module.
  • FyresprayFyrespray Member Posts: 3
    As somebody who plays a caster character it's always hard to have enough quick slots for spells. Using the numeric keypad to cast buffs via the radial dial is incredibly useful, but it's hard to use it to cast offensive spells because you first need to right click on the character in question. One of two things could help here:
    1. If a spell cannot be cast on the player character default to a selection pointer (in the same way as offensive spells on quickbars are cast). Then to cast a magic missile I could type 0299 on the numeric keypad and then click on my target.
    2. Add a key that allows you to cycle through enemy characters so that you can quickly select them and then use the numeric keypad to dial in a spell. This would be much easier than trying to spin the screen around and right click on a moving char that is running at you
    ShadooowProont
  • ShadooowShadooow Member Posts: 402
    Would it be possible to make the MaxLevel column in feat.2da to work as a "maximum level of specific class that character can have to show this feat" if MinLevelClass column isn't **** ?

This is one of the functionalities I offered in nwncx_patch and that was not possible to transfer onto EE due to the fact that client-modifications are not supported anymore.

Deeper explanation: First of all, with this tweak no functionality is lost. If you want to limit certain feat to be selectable by specific class and only during character creating 1 then you set MaxLevel to 1, ALLCLASSESCANUSE to 0 and edit cls_feat_*.2da of that class to contain that feat. As for what it is supposed to be good for that is the possibility to prevent certain feats to show up multiple times during levelling. Lets say you have a Dragon Disciple class where you select a color of the dragon you are disciple of at lvl 1. To do this you need to make some feat variants and put them into cls_feat_*.2da with List value of 2, then give 1 bonus feat to that class at lvl 1. Problem is that there is a bug/exploit/sick intent where the game will give you these feats into selection at epic bonus feat levels. Ie. taking Favored Enemy at lvl other than 25/30/35/40. And unfortunately this feature cannot be taken away as it would break backwards compatibility, hence this workaround of limiting feat to show only at/till certain level of class.

And if you are at it, consider adding another feat prerequisities that my plugin offered to the builders:

PREREQFEAT3 (yeah I ran into a few that required 4 different feats which cannot be done currently)
    FeatNot
    AlignRestrict
    Race
    RaceNot
    SneakLevel (I coded this by checking the number of feats that player has that also have the Constant column equal to "FEAT_SNEAK_ATTACK" I suppose this could get even better if there were two columns one that checked amount of feat, and the other feat constnat ie. FeatOfTypeNum FeatOfTypeString - that would allowed to make custom feats with similar restriction as SneakLevel)
    Proont
  • SolariUKSolariUK Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2022
    Hi,

I can't believe it took a Steam Sale to make me aware of this but I bought it and am really enjoying playing on some of the online servers again (Amia, RavenLoft etc) - however I signed up to say please, pretty please, can we have more quickslots? It's always been a pain, even with fighter-caster types who can still easily run out of slots.

Something like this perhaps: https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwnee/script/nui-spell-widget

Thanks and great job with EE :)
    Post edited by SolariUK on
  • SardukarSardukar Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2022
    I have several suggestions for improving and changing the game.

1. Add a separate spell panel as in NWN 2.
    mg5puhl2fnew.jpg

2. Expand the ability to manage companions. Including implementing companion management as in NWN 2, as well as giving the opportunity to implement the development of companion classes and the choice of phits and spells yourself. If this is not possible due to the game code itself, give the opportunity to customize the spells and abilities of Lin and Sharvi yourself. Just now, from the point of view of the mechanics of the game, they are not usable.

3. When creating items (alchemy, magic wands and scrolls), remove the requirements for spending experience. It's just that there is very little experience in the game itself.

4. Increase experience for killing, for example, orcs in Chapter 3 of the main company and other mobs in other chapters. They give
    me 3 experiences for them, which is catastrophically small.
    I am for completing all quests and killing all mobs in all locations, I had level 17 in the battle before the final boss. Of course, the problem was solved by a third-party mod that reduces the experience requirements for each level, but this is not the solution to the problem.

5. Expand the description of the battle actions in the chat log. In particular, add a detailed description of all the damage caused by a hidden attack and the usual one that follows it, the amount of additional damage (from fire, chopping, strolling, etc.), the serial number of the attack for classes that have more than one attack and per round.

Example of a possible display:
    a) two attacks per round with an armed shield and a long sword with additional fire damage 1d8 on a monster with fire resistance of 2 units and cutting damage of 1 unit:
    "Attack in Round 1: Damage roll = long sword damage 8 + fire damage 5 - 2 fire resistance - 1 cutting resistance = 10 damage;
    Attack in Round 2: Damage Roll = Longsword damage 5 + Fire damage 7 - 2 fire resistance - 1 cutting resistance = 9 damage"

b) two hidden dodger attacks of 2d4 per round with a long sword with additional fire damage 1d8 on a monster with fire resistance of 2 units and cutting damage of 1 unit:
    "Attack in round 1: Damage roll = hidden attack damage (3+4) + long sword damage 8 + fire damage 5 - 2 fire resistance - 1 cutting resistance = 17 damage"
    Attack in Round 2: Damage Roll = Hidden attack damage (4+4) + Long sword damage 8 + Fire damage 5 - 2 fire resistance - 1 cutting resistance = 18 damage".

To summarize, I suggest that the chat logs display a formula with all variables in the following form:
    "Attack number per round: Damage from a hidden attack (if any) + weapon damage *(Critical hit (if any)) + additional weapon damage (fire, acid, stabbing/chopping/cutting damage (if any))*Critikal - resistance to the elements (if any) - resistance to stabbing/cutting/chopping damage (if any) = Damage inflicted."
    Post edited by Sardukar on
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    For selected points -

1. see NUI Spell Widget, the community are ahead of you (specically Caladawn).
    4. That is down to the fact that you are higher level than the orcs you are killing. Similar mechanics exist in most crpg games.

TR
  • SardukarSardukar Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2022
    For selected points -

1. see NUI Spell Widget, the community are ahead of you (specically Caladawn).
    4. That is down to the fact that you are higher level than the orcs you are killing. Similar mechanics exist in most crpg games.

TR

I know about this widget. But the problem is that you can't just install it, personally I will have to translate the instructions for installing it, English is not my native language. But that's not even the problem, i can translate, I'm more concerned about the problems of this widget, which the author describes. That's why I suggested introducing a similar "official" widget by NWN EE developers. ))

I understand about orcs, but the problem is that for these Orcs in chapter 3, they give me 3 units of experience. Can they raise the level so that they are stronger and give more experience for them? It's just somehow illogical that at level 15 you are fighting mobs of such a low level that you are given so little experience because of this. I really, in NWN EE without any mods, by the end of the main company had level 17. At the same time, he completed all the quests and killed all the mobs.
  • Suggestion: Actively control the camera with the mouse via a toggle button. Thus allowing players to control the character camera in a way similar to Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.
  • Dragonfolk2000Dragonfolk2000 Member Posts: 377
    I couldn't find a thread to suggest it so I'll suggest it here.

Could we have a toolset option (through scripting and the creature editor) to change the overall hue on an object? Like placing a translucent layer over a model of a chosen rgba value?
  • BirbBirb Member Posts: 1
    Suggestions for multiplayer improvements.

1: A "..." above the head of characters when the player is typing, like in most chats. It would be extremely helpful to know whether or not another player is about to say something.

2: Since NWSync takes care of downloading all the necessary content, I'd love to see player portraits be shared in a similar manner. If they have custom portraits, they're automatically downloaded. The files are very small.

While on portraits, all the places in the interface that shows portraits, could have them one size category bigger. So f.x. the examine window currently showing Medium, could show Large. There's plenty of room.
  • CrowbarScientistCrowbarScientist Member Posts: 4
    edited October 2022
    Suggestion: Seamless walking/running for NPCs moving between waypoints. At present, NPCs stop every time they go to a new waypoint where they have to turn. I suggest this gets changed so that NPCs can turn while moving, just like the players.
  • Drewbert_ahoyDrewbert_ahoy Member Posts: 96
    One glaring need is a protection from petrification spell/srcoll. Even Baldur's Gate had this for the basilisk area way back in '98.