Skip to content

Please consider NOT bundling the original NWN with EE on GOG

Taro94Taro94 Member Posts: 125
edited November 2017 in General Discussions NWN:EE
Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition is one of the few releases that can truly excite me nowadays.

At first I was afraid that it might go terribly wrong, but from I've seen and learned so far makes me more and more a believer. I really like it very much!

That's why I don't want the game's reputation to be tarnished by what the majority considers a very bad move - that is, removing the original NWN from GOG and only offering it as a free bonus to NWN:EE.

I can understand these voices. They may not be interested in the Enhanced Edition and yet they'd have to pay double the price for the game they'd want to play ($20 vs $10).

This has been done with the previous Enhanced Editions and their original versions so far. For the customers, it's an unspoken sign that you yourselves feel Enhanced Editions are not good enough and that you need to force people to buy them by removing the alternative for anyone who'd rather stick to the original. Whether that sign is correct or not is not important here - what's important is whether people think it is.

Do a good job with NWN:EE - I can already tell it has a great potential to be awesome - and you won't need to remove the competition in the form of the originals to succeed. You've already shown some of the haters that you can learn from your mistakes, you should be able to see what's controversial about these bundlings now, too - and admit that it's not needed and only pushes away part of your potential customer base.

Thank you.
Post edited by Taro94 on

Comments

• 11302101130210 Member Posts: 381
    I wholeheartedly agree with this. Is the choice theirs alone to make? If so, then I agree. I would like to see that the original NWN is kept as a singular package, away from the Enhanced Edition NWN.

I'd think that they'd want to keep the versions separate. Do The Wizards of the Coast have a say in this? What if it's their decision to do this?

After all, Beamdog were given rights to NWN:EE. Can we consider the original NWN to be a part of this agreement, or separate?
  • Taro94Taro94 Member Posts: 125
    Perhaps Beamdog could clarify if it's their decision alone or not.

I'm quite sure it's not GOG's decision at least, because it offers both original and remastered versions of some games without making a fuss (Oddworld is an example of this).
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    edited November 2017
    I agree too.

It is best for people who do not want the Enhanced Edition because they are still on XP to be able to buy an older version of NWN 1.69 that supports XP so they can play on 1.69 servers who also fail to update.

This way the game can continue to get patch updates and new releases for those who purchased the Enhanced Edition and everyone else can stick to a version no longer supported if they want, instead of buying the Enhanced Edition and also getting 1.69 version as a bundle.

Then when a server updates to Enhanced Edition the players can decide if they want to upgrade or find a new 1.69 server to play on, or the server can decide not to upgrade and stick to 1.69 to keep their players happy who refuse to upgrade to a new supported operating system and Enhanced Edition.

It is win-win for everyone.
  • fkirenicusfkirenicus Member Posts: 331
    edited November 2017
    This was very good until
    "(...) You've already shown some of the haters (...)"

Since when has disagreement or dislike been equivalent to "hate"? I don't get this...
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    There are people who outright hate Beamdog. It's not a matter of disagreement or dislike, they loathe Beamdog for all kinds of things, whether real or imagined. And I don't really think Beamdog should make decisions based on what they think because their minds are already made up.

That doesn't mean the suggestion is bad - leaving NWN Diamond on the GOG store isn't a bad idea, IMO, regardless of what the haters will think about it. But I won't be broken-hearted if they do with NWN what they did with BG, BG2, IWD, and PST, which is bundle them with the EE versions.
  • fkirenicusfkirenicus Member Posts: 331
    Final word from me about this whether an answer comes or not:
    Or maybe they "hate" (dislike or disagree, in my vocabulary - hate is a strong word, and shouldn't be used without real cause) decisions Beamdog have made.
    If one wants to avoid a polarized debate with lots of temper, maybe one shouldn't use strong words that should be reserved for what they actually mean. Throwing around accusations and claiming to know that persons are "evil" based on their venting their frustration over something on the internet is somewhat misguided, IMO.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    you may change your tune if you go and read even one thread on either gog or rpgcodex about this game.

it's gotten so bad i'm starting to just ignore anything beamdog related thats not this forum.
    edited November 2017

Or maybe they "hate" (dislike or disagree, in my vocabulary - hate is a strong word, and shouldn't be used without real cause) decisions Beamdog have made.
    If one wants to avoid a polarized debate with lots of temper, maybe one shouldn't use strong words that should be reserved for what they actually mean. Throwing around accusations and claiming to know that persons are "evil" based on their venting their frustration over something on the internet is somewhat misguided, IMO.

No one said "evil" though?

The hate is real, however, and easy to find. Like no one has to speculate why the hate because it is easy to find and laid out rather plainly.
  • JimbobslimbobJimbobslimbob Member Posts: 206

you may change your tune if you go and read even one thread on either gog or rpgcodex about this game.

it's gotten so bad i'm starting to just ignore anything beamdog related thats not this forum.

Yeah, I went over to GOG and got trolled, attacked and downvoted into oblivion. There is really no other word for it other than "hate". The GOG community needs some better moderation. It's awful and I will now be limiting my time over there because of it.

Yeah, I went over to GOG and got trolled, attacked and downvoted into oblivion. There is really no other word for it other than "hate". The GOG community needs some better moderation. It's awful and I will now be limiting my time over there because of it.
    I saw that. You did pretty well despite how you were treated.
    Appreciated it, thanks. I shan't be bothering over there anymore though, it's just a waste of time and effort. They do not want to discuss the game and suggest features, they only want to shout down anyone that doesn't share their opinion of Beamdog. When they run out of ammo they attack you and pretend they are saints that have done no wrong... I honestly can't tell if they are aware of their behavior or not. Either way though, it's a hate-fest through-and-through.

It's sad, because other users will be afraid to post there in fear of getting descended on by an angry mob.
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208

When the other side uses epithets such as "fanboys", "sycophants", and "little rats" about anyone who doesn't one-sidedly and blindly hate Beamdog, it is an easy trap to fall into to give them some of their own back. I know I am guilty of this.

But I agree with you; this kind of namecalling always says more about the source than it does about the target.

I very much doubt that Beamdog can make a decision that will satisfy the worst of the ... shall we say, "dislikers". When Beamdog released BG:EE and BG2:EE with new content and new NPCs, the new content was bad. When they released PS:T EE without new content, it was not a new product but a "mod" and a "shameless cashgrab". It's heads they win, tails Beamdog loses, and you might as well spare yourself the time, agony and frustration of trying to reason with them or make them happy.

If Beamdog does NOT bundle NWN:EE with NWN, that will be seen as an admission of guilt. If they DO bundle the EE with the classical version, it will be "more of the same".

All that being said, I support the original poster's suggestion that Beamdog should NOT bundle the two products. Though I am not certain this is Beamdog's decision alone.
    there entitled. gog has been the home to the ie and this game for so long and they want it to stay that way.

it does not matter if the games run better or if like like nwn dont run well on some people's computers. they will still call beamdog leeches and claim they are stealing other people's work when news flash the people that made the original nwn work at beamdog.
    edited November 2017
    They also accuse people of being paid shills. I think Jimbobslimbob got hit with that one.

They also accuse people of bring paid shills. I think Jimbobslimbob got hit with that one.

More than once!

They also accuse people of bring paid shills. I think Jimbobslimbob got hit with that one.

More than once!
    and this was all over soundtracks for crying out loud.
    Haters was indeed a wrong word to use. Suffice to say, I was one of the people who didn't like the introduction of a transgender NPC (felt it was forced just for diversity's sake) or Minsc's joke about the Gamergate.
    In other words, I've used the word to refer to dislikers, including myself. I admitted Beamdog has learned from these mistakes and that's why I hope they'll learn from this one as well.
    And they were lying about the soundtracks.
    As I said in the OP, I can understand these dislikers.
    They're very distrustful at the moment but I can't blame them for that. The point is, it IS in Beamdog's power to show them they listen to criticism (and even if the gog community is calling names, some of their criticism, like the bundling, is certainly valid).

More than once!
    and this was all over soundtracks for crying out loud.
    Yeah it was a mess. It didn't seem to even matter if I acknowledged their points either, it eventually descended into nothing but constant attacks. There was absolutely nothing I could do at that point, and spent pages and pages simply defending myself from accusations in the end, because they had nothing else to talk about. It became tiresome to say the least.

You can see now why I shan't be bothering over there now anyway.
    They've been distrustful for years. I doubt listening to them will change that.

Even if it doesn't (though it can) it's no reason to continue on disallowing people the choince of getting the original over the Ee.
    Taro94 said:

Even if it doesn't (though it can) it's no reason to continue on disallowing people the choince of getting the original over the Ee.
    I agree with you on that point. But not because I think hater criticism is valid.

Taro94 said:

I agree with you on that point. But not because I think hater criticism is valid.
    Indeed, the issue of whether it's valid or not is not relevant for this topic.
    It seemed relevant when you said you thought it was valid.
    edited November 2017

It seemed relevant when you said you thought it was valid.

I thought some of its points were valid. Like the bundling controversy. Is it a problem if I think this issue is not black and white and that the dislikers do raise some valid points? This doesn't in any way mean I condone name calling and spreading lies.
    It's not a problem, but apparently my disagreement with their criticism is. Or did you mean something else when you said that issue was not relevant?
  • WesboiWesboi Member Posts: 403
    The thing with the bundling, beamdog placed the idea that it wasn't there idea or had nothing to do with it and even @JuliusBorisov said it was someone else and later he admitted his mistake but why release a statement when you dont have the correct facts. When you retract a statement it leaves an element of mistrust. That's what irked me and I'm sure many others.

Like when a friend owes u money and they can't pay you back but then u see them out spending money on crap. Makes you think that's dick move.
    Wesboi said:

The thing with the bundling, beamdog placed the idea that it wasn't there idea or had nothing to do with it and even @JuliusBorisov said it was someone else and later he admitted his mistake but why release a statement when you dont have the correct facts. When you retract a statement it leaves an element of mistrust. That's what irked me and I'm sure many others.

Like when a friend owes u money and they can't pay you back but then u see them out spending money on crap. Makes you think that's dick move.

Nobody is perfect and we all make mistakes. Admitting them and learning from them is more important in my eyes. It doesn't make it easy though, when you make a mistake and an entire mob of angry gamers descend on you.

As to the topic of separating the classic version to the EE, I can see why some people would want it. However, most of the people that seem to be gunning for this already have the classic version, so the argument makes less sense. All new players would surely prefer to get stuck in with the EE (assumption)?

It's not a problem, but apparently my disagreement with their criticism is. Or did you mean something else when you said that issue was not relevant?

I meant that you don't need to want to appeal to the Gog community to see that a consumer-friendly solution is to keep these games unbundled.