Skip to content

Please consider NOT bundling the original NWN with EE on GOG

1235»

Comments

• megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    as he said except for NWN 2 steam never had the originals so for therm, or people that never bought the original it should not be a real issue.

and this may be an unpopular opinion due to this thread. but the ee are better then the originals. they run better and fix certain small things i never liked about the original like compressing mod installs so you can have as many as you unlike the originals where your game would lag. also the little qol improvements just make the games more smoother.

• MordaedilMordaedil Member Posts: 56
    Yeah, I don't see them there anymore either, but I still have it in my library there. So I guess they'll remove the old NWN from purchase once EE releases, but it's still available as download to whomever bought it.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    What are you all talking about?

https://www.gog.com/game/neverwinter_nights_diamond_edition

It is still there.
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    deltago said:

It is still there.

Yes - but you won't find the original versions of Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate II, Icewind Dale, or Planescape: Torment. They are no longer sold independently; only bundled with the Enhanced Editions. The question is, will this also happen for NeverWinter Nights when the Enhanced Edition is released?
  • JBDDJBDD Member Posts: 11

deltago said:

It is still there.

Yes - but you won't find the original versions of Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate II, Icewind Dale, or Planescape: Torment. They are no longer sold independently; only bundled with the Enhanced Editions. The question is, will this also happen for NeverWinter Nights when the Enhanced Edition is released?
    I'm expecting it to happen, but hoping that it won't, for reasons that I gave earlier. Sadly, Wizards of the Coast might be forcing Beamdog's hand in this matter...
  • rammurrammur Member Posts: 11
    edited December 2017
    diffrence is this edition is bein supported.and well its works on current pc's the other ones i had to fiddle with to get cutscenes to work.
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    Maybe someone mentioned this already, but isn't it Wizards of the Coast's decision to decide in what form the games are sold, not Beamdog's? I do believe to remember something like that having been mentioned somewhere before.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

Maybe someone mentioned this already, but isn't it Wizards of the Coast's decision to decide in what form the games are sold, not Beamdog's? I do believe to remember something like that having been mentioned somewhere before.

Allegedly. If it is, they won't say it is.

Just like the lack of customization in Battlefront II, everyone assumes Disney had a heavy hand in that decision, but they will never admit to it.
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    It came out more recently that Beamdog and GOG made the decision to bundle the EEs.
  • birdman076birdman076 Member Posts: 29
    Correct me if i'm wrong but to my understanding the "Classic" versions of the games are not available on GOG.com either as they have their own "enhanced" versions of the games that have been reissued? They remove DRM, have a one package installer that supposedly has support for up to date(ish) operating systems and perhaps more enhancements.

I'm just trying to wrap my head around the purist argument of "keep the classic versions available instead of bundling". Would said bundle include the GOG.com classic version or the original classic version? Classic to me means the original unedited version of the game as released, pre-patch, etc.
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    The classic versions are all bundled with the EEs on GOG.

I would argue that it's not purist. It's more about maintaining choice. Letting people decide for themselves what they want to buy. ALSO not forcing people to buy NWN EE twice if they first buy it on Steam or Beamdog so they can get the diamond edition.
  • voidofopinionvoidofopinion Member, Moderator Posts: 1,248
    JBDD said:

Mordaedil said:

I'm sorry, but you are not the judge of the value of my input, Taro94, if that is your real name.

There is no real grounds for anyone to worry, I don't see why they would request GOG to take down the old game just because they are releasing a new one. They didn't do that for any previous title and I can't recall them doing that for any other title, so it is rather groundless fear.

As the game stands right now, there is very little reason to play the old game, the old servers are difficult to find, have a poor at best security on them and all assets currently for the normal release works perfectly fine (or better) in Enhanced Edition.

My point of view was that the cost of a video game is either going to be insignificant as a luxury commodity, or you need to make informed purchases with low risk. NWN, regardless of incarnation, is going to be a bit of a risky investment. Savvy consumers know better.

Also man, did I hit a nerve or what?

Uhhh... I searched the GOG and Steam storefronts today. Guess what? No sign of the original, standalone or bundled original versions of the Baldur's Gate games. If they are there, they must be well hidden. It's not really a big deal to me personally, but I really don't see the harm in having more options for potential customers.
    Searched just now... on the bottom of the top sellers list.

• JBDDJBDD Member Posts: 11

JBDD said:

Mordaedil said:

I'm sorry, but you are not the judge of the value of my input, Taro94, if that is your real name.

There is no real grounds for anyone to worry, I don't see why they would request GOG to take down the old game just because they are releasing a new one. They didn't do that for any previous title and I can't recall them doing that for any other title, so it is rather groundless fear.

As the game stands right now, there is very little reason to play the old game, the old servers are difficult to find, have a poor at best security on them and all assets currently for the normal release works perfectly fine (or better) in Enhanced Edition.

My point of view was that the cost of a video game is either going to be insignificant as a luxury commodity, or you need to make informed purchases with low risk. NWN, regardless of incarnation, is going to be a bit of a risky investment. Savvy consumers know better.

Also man, did I hit a nerve or what?

Uhhh... I searched the GOG and Steam storefronts today. Guess what? No sign of the original, standalone or bundled original versions of the Baldur's Gate games. If they are there, they must be well hidden. It's not really a big deal to me personally, but I really don't see the harm in having more options for potential customers.
    Searched just now... on the bottom of the top sellers list.

I was referring specifically to the Baldur's Gate games... Sadly, NWN Diamond Edition will probably be removed as a purchase option once the final version of NWN: EE is released.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    deltago said:

Allegedly. If it is, they won't say it is.

Just like the lack of customization in Battlefront II, everyone assumes Disney had a heavy hand in that decision, but they will never admit to it.
    Two organisations have control over this: Hasbro (licence holder) and GoG (retailer). if either one chooses not to offer it then you can't get it on GoG. One organisation has no control over which editions are available: Beamdog.