Skip to content

Overanalyzing the New Screenshots

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Mornmagor said:

I can't figure something out.

Dorn has Base THAC0 13 from lvl 8. That is correct.

He has STR 19 a.k.a. +3 to hit from it. Which modifies his THACO to 10.

He has +1 to hit from his mastery, and +1 from his +1 Greatsword, Rancor. A further decrease of THACO to 8.

In the side bar, it shows "THAC0 8" correctly, why is the table above, showing THAC0 7?

An item perhaps or something else? Or a mistake?

Who knows it could be an environmental affect. Like blackguards get bonuses to attacks at night time. Or something else that would not appear to effect the base THAC0. For instance the bracers of archery don't improve the base thaco when you equip them only the thaco of missile weapons. So alternatively maybe he has an item or class effect that benefits his melee/two-handed sword attack.
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    edited November 2012
    Yeah who knows.

Also in that screenshot, the damage table below the THAC0 part, does not take strength bonus into account for the damage range.

Other than that, we see BG1 paperdolls in the inventory, which is nice :p

And soon... BG1 animations too! ~_O
    edited November 2012
    He gets +1 because he's Dorn!

In that case, i should up the difficulty cause my awesomeness will result in a +10.

P.S. By the way, Quartz, your constitution sucks >_>

Also, anyone that can answer, these circles that are coloured, are an animation entirely different from the character's graphic, right? Or are they stuck to the BG2 avatars? If we imported BG1 animations for example we would still have coloured circles? They only have to do with the coloring of your char?
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Dorn's stats are hardly balanced with his 90 overall, beating Ajantis' stats by 2 points. But his HP do suck, yeah XD
    edited November 2012

Dorn's stats are hardly balanced with his 90 overall, beating Ajantis' stats by 2 points. But his HP do suck, yeah XD

Yea but to be fair this just gives evil classes another choice for a leader type character other then charname or Viconia (because of his 16 charisma). Plus we haven't seen the other characters stats, and Dorn is if I'm not mistaken is optional since he is one of the DLC's for tablet users. Point I'm trying to make is that without knowing what the other characters stats are its difficult to judge Dorn independently.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    In the Ramazith's Tower screenshot, has anyone else noticed the gold sword icons across the upper right-hand corner of Dorn's, Montaron's, and the PC's portraits? I'm assuming they're indicators that let you know when a character is engaged in melee. Very nice addition, imo!
    edited November 2012
    Mortianna said:

In the Ramazith's Tower screenshot, has anyone else noticed the gold sword icons across the upper right-hand corner of Dorn's, Montaron's, and the PC's portraits? I'm assuming they're indicators that let you know when a character is engaged in melee. Very nice addition, imo!

I just noticed them in another screenshot. I think it is showing what item they have equipped when in battle because Dorns is a different weapon than Khalid's, and the monk (Rassad?) has fists shown.

(I'm talking about pic 4/12)

Edit: It could be one of the screenshots is older than the other.
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    Dorns stats are silly high, his dex should have also been 14.
  • Jean_LucJean_Luc Member Posts: 228

Forgot to add, my only criticism is the stretched "satchel" icon in inventory where it says how much a character can carry, looks pretty bad.

Yeah there's no need for it to reach for the borders of the inventory slots imo, should just stay a normal size.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited November 2012
    Love the UI shots, been waiting for them. I think it was cool to go with a hand-drawn feel/look.

Will take a while getting used to the new UI positioning, but I like it.
    edited November 2012
    elminster said:

Mungri said:

When comparing his combat stats (Strength/Dexterity/Constitution) next to Minsc he's actually pretty balanced.
    No, he is OP. 19 / 16 / 14 plus 16 Cha vs 18xx / 15 / 15 and crap cha.

Minsc would be useless in the top slot, unlike dorn.
    Mungri said:

elminster said:

Mungri said:

When comparing his combat stats (Strength/Dexterity/Constitution) next to Minsc he's actually pretty balanced.

Right which is why there is ajantis for the top slot at 17 charisma. But in terms of his actual combat benefits Minsc would get 1 less of a bonus to hit and 2 less of a bonus to damage, 8 more health (+1/level), and 1 more ac (by that I mean worse than Dorn). I still would not describe him as being overpowered. Besides evil party's need that extra charisma lol.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Mungri said:

elminster said:

Mungri said:

18xx is a good way to sound biased for your argument. 18/93 is +2 THAC0 +5 Damage, 19 is +3 THAC0 +7 Damage.

Let's put it this way: I'm really dedicated to the NPCs being balanced. They did a fantastic job lining up all the fighters equally in BG1. Unlike, say, Mages, where Edwin is clearly the best. Or Thieves, where Imoen is clearly the best. And I was happy to see Dorn's stats are balanced. First person I compared him to was Minsc of course because their stats are similar. Dorn gets no Constitution bonus ... that's a pretty big deal for a frontline fighter like himself.
    Mungri said:

Wow, that would be completely awful. I would actually hate using him. I have enough trouble keeping Minsc alive, Dorn would be dying left and right.
    elminster said:

Yea but to be fair this just gives evil classes another choice for a leader type character other then charname or Viconia (because of his 16 charisma).

You're forgetting Eldoth, who has a 16. He was the Evil Charisma monkey.
    Quartz said:

Mungri said:

elminster said:

Mungri said:

18xx is a good way to sound biased for your argument. 18/93 is +2 THAC0 +5 Damage, 19 is +3 THAC0 +7 Damage.

Let's put it this way: I'm really dedicated to the NPCs being balanced. They did a fantastic job lining up all the fighters equally in BG1. Unlike, say, Mages, where Edwin is clearly the best. Or Thieves, where Imoen is clearly the best. And I was happy to see Dorn's stats are balanced. First person I compared him to was Minsc of course because their stats are similar. Dorn gets no Constitution bonus ... that's a pretty big deal for a frontline fighter like himself.
    Mungri said:

Wow, that would be completely awful. I would actually hate using him. I have enough trouble keeping Minsc alive, Dorn would be dying left and right.
    elminster said:

Yea but to be fair this just gives evil classes another choice for a leader type character other then charname or Viconia (because of his 16 charisma).

You're forgetting Eldoth, who has a 16. He was the Evil Charisma monkey.
    Very true though he himself is not available until Chapter 4.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    elminster said:

Yeah, seriously. That was always my weakpoint with Evil parties. I'd be like "okay so who should talk to this person..." And I'd end up with Xzar, with his measly 10 Charisma, at the highest. Rofl.
    edited November 2012
    Quartz said:

elminster said:

Yeah, seriously. That was always my weakpoint with Evil parties. I'd be like "okay so who should talk to this person..." And I'd end up with Xzar, with his measly 10 Charisma, at the highest. Rofl.
    I normally stick Viconia with the cloak you get in Beregost. 16 Charisma is at least something (though technically even 13 charisma provides a bonus).

Edit: You know its bad though when the drow character in your party is the best to use for dealing with surface people.
    I think Dorn is balanced too.

He looks like a glass cannon at first glance. Especially if you're someone that doesn't use max hp or reroll at level up just to get it.
  • MechaliburMechalibur Member Posts: 265
    Interestingly enough, the picture has Dorn at 78hp, when 80 would be the max for his con score. I think someone at Overhaul games has been hp level up resetting :P
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    Quartz said:

Record screen and Dorn's stats! (19 STR, 16 DEX, 14 CON, 10 INT, 15 WIS, 16 CHA) Evil parties get to plan ahead it seems.

This caught my eye more than anything. Glad to see the makers made use of at least one of the half-orc's 19 stat capacity.

Also, his Charisma is 16. It would seem that either Blackguards don't have to have a 17 Minimum, or Dorn is an exception. Low stat point exceptions are rare amongst NPCs (only Minsc and Quayle), but it's possible.

Aren't Blackguards considered part of the paladin class? Paladins are required to have a high charisma.
    edited November 2012
    I can't believe any opinion that a 90 point total NPC is somehow balanced to the original NPCs in the game. Come off it, stat wise Dorn is more powerful than any of the original NPCs. As for there being some kind of role playing penalty, I doubt that power gamers would care in the slightest about that.

They may as well have just min maxed him to 19 str, 18 dex, 18 con, and you would all still be calling him balanced.

Even with 14 base dex, you would stop be able to use the bracers of dexterity on him.
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560
    elminster said:

Mungri said:

Good point, but he beats Minsc in areas that matter -- Minsc's only advantage is +1 HP at level up.

I'm mostly surprised they maxxed his STR and made his stats *hands down* better than Ajantis'.
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560
    Also have to say: Huge kudos to the developer who came up with the colored circles idea. Now *that* is a great addition to the UI.

Almost makes me wanna take back all the mean things I said previously about the interface.
    1 less AC, thaco and 2 more damage is way more than +1 HP per level.

So we couldn't have a raised EXP cap because it would make the game to easy, but evil parties running around with Dorn, Edwin, and several other powerful NPCs is completely fine.
    edited November 2012
    It would have been really weird if either his strength or his constitution had not been at 19 given that those are the two selling points of half-orcs and that he is a DLC that they want people on Ipads and tablets to purchase.

Considering that we haven't even played the character, and that we know that characters with vastly conflicting morals in Baldur's Gate 2 don't get along in some cases to the point of disaster for the party, I think its a little early to judge how much better he is than any of the existing characters. For all we know having him and Minsc (or any other good character) in a party could be, well, lets just say get into a discussion which could be very bad for party dynamics.

@Munri the difference in 1 ac (which is what 15 vs 14 would be) is negligible either way. Though to add to my previous post Dorn actually gets +1 to missile attacks as well over Minsc if I'm not mistaken. But while its true evil characters tend to be stronger than good characters, evil players also end up spending substantially more at stores and getting less for the items they sell. Unless of course they play as neutral characters, but then that is just somewhat odd given their alignment. Besides as I wrote earlier we haven't yet seen the stats for the other two characters, so it is a little early to judge Dorn here.