Skip to content

Overanalyzing the New Screenshots

Comments

• KenyonKenyon Member Posts: 142
    I wish they hadn't included Dorn's character page so I wouldn't have to browse through four pages of theorycraft to find out what people think about the screens. ;)
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    I think the discussion just reflects the amount of actual (and previously unknown) game information contained in each screen.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    @Lemernis :

from "Blackguard Kit Details" thread, http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/4010/blackguard-kit-details/p1

Must be evil.
    Immune to level drain and fear.
    Can specialize in any weapon (2 slots)
    Can use any armor, wear any armor
    Absorb Health (Level 1) ability to heal self quickly: Absorbs 2hp from enemy per level of Blackguard. Save vs Magic.
    Can Turn Undead (Rebuke) as Paladin of same level.
    Can use poison weapon 1x every 5 levels.
    Can use Aura of Despair. Once per day ability that varies with level: 2nd: Gives enemies -1 to hit, -1 to damage, +2 AC 6th: Gives enemies -2 to hit, -2 to damage, +2 to AC 15th: Gives enemies -4 to hit, -4 to damage, +4 to AC, causes Fear in enemies level 8 or below. 20th: Gives enemies -4 to hit, -4 to damage, +4 to AC, causes Fear in enemies level 18 or below.
    Dorn's offensive ability is much unrivaled with on lower levels. He even gets poison weapon ability, among others, which is quite OP if it works in the same way the Assassin's coating does.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Lemernis said:

Also, we don't know yet what special ability he may have as a NPC, if any, correct?

It might just be his personal special magic sword

• LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited November 2012
    decado said:

Dex/THAC0/wut?

Dex reduces ranged THAC0, STR melee.

Did you mean AC?

Oops, sorry, long time since I played and was still having coffee. AC, I meant. (It's THACO-improving gauntlets that one wants anyway, lol. Yikes. Although isn't there a cursed pair? No we don't want those for Dorn, Anyway...) I haven't played the game in something like 4-5 years. It's various belts and boots that improves Armor Class right?
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Brude said:

Good point about DLC draw. The thing about most physical damage dealers in the original game was that, even if they had good stats in one or two areas, they paid for it elsewhere. Dorn has no drawbacks whatsoever.

Dorn has the same drawback that Shar-Teel has. Low HP.
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    I secretly love Shar-Teel.

There i said it :P

Other than that, i want a lot of people in my party, including the 3 NPCs, but i guess i might not take them together in the first playthrough.

If Rasaad and Dorn were not both warriors it would be easier.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Anton said:
    Not sure if it's been commented on, but are those icons togglable? I don't feel much of a need to have that kind of portrait visualization, neither of equipped weapons nor to show when a character is engaged in combat. Especially not when taken into account how the portrait icons from various buff effects tend to stack up throughout the game.
    edited November 2012
    LOL an image came to my mind.

Every time Rasaad, or anyone cracks a joke or says something you don't like, a fist appears and BAM!

Too many possibilities...

Ahaha i'm laughing with myself here :P

FaceFist will be the new BG:EE police.

Alright, everytime a forum member says something i don't like as well, i'll FACEFIST them! :D
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    I don't think there was much chance of Dorn NOT being at least somewhat overpowered. He belongs to both the most overpowered race AND, perhaps, the most overpowered class.
    Mungri said:

So basically evil parties are grossly overpowered - Dorn, Kagain, Shar teel, Edwin and Xzar (dualed to a cleric).

No more than a party of Coran, Kivan, Yeslick, Minsc, and Imoen (dualed to mage) would be.

Even now, good parties still have a huge advantage in ranged fighters (Coran, Kivan, and even Khalid). Evil may have the better melee fighters (especially with the addition of Dorn), but they remain sorely lacking in the archery department (which is very notable, since BG1 is ideal for ranged fighters).

Plus, good parties have always had the additional advantage of being able to include a paladin (either Ajantis or PC) without any problems. The creation of a blackgaurd class merely compensates for that.
    edited November 2012

If CHARNAME is not a thief, who's going to do scouting *and* utility thief duties if you use all three of Dorn, Kagain, Shaar-Teel? It's going to be hard enough with just Dorn and Kagain in the party, and even if you dual Shar-Teel, it'll take her a while to be a decent thief.

How many rangers/thieves do you need? Even using Dorn, Kaigan, and Shar-Teel, you still have three slots open for a mage, cleric, and thief. If your PC is a cleric/mage, then you can have two slots open for thieves/rangers.
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    The UI colour is still a little strange, in my opinion, as are the broad gold borders. I also don't like the new main menu much, it's way too modern and too different from the original, which had this nice medieval feel. The rest (such as actual graphics, new inventory, all the hints to the maths behind the numbers and such) are pretty cool.
    trinit said:

and do i see properly that spells have a pause between levels? useful!

No, unfortunately, that was just a coincidence. The quickbar alwys has the button separated into 3 groups of 4.
    edited November 2012
    Rest until healed minimizes the need to fill up spell slots with heals or horde potions. It also makes it easier to save money and get better gear faster, because you're not dropping 50-100 gold a pop on temple heals.
    Is there any place in the game where there's a temple but no inn? Doesn't make sense to waste so much gold on healing from a cleric when you can just rest at an inn to replenish your spells. That's how I did it. (though I guess this way you'd save some time at the expense of more gold spent).
  • allhailsteveallhailsteve Member Posts: 210
    Anton said:
    This needs a meme right now.

• bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited November 2012
    The Dorn screenshot looks to be heavily photo shopped. Stats, alignment, and the primary description window have been blacked out and replaced with solid black, rather than the texture. I noticed it while looking at my monitor at an angle.

That may explain why his THAC0 is different in opposing windows.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729

The Dorn screenshot looks to be heavily photo shopped. Stats, alignment, and the primary description window have been blacked out and replaced with solid black, rather than the texture. I noticed it while looking at my monitor at an angle.

Maybe they're not actually his final release-version stats! Well it's possible...
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I really doubt those are not his final stats... There would be so many complaints in this board, it would overload the database :)

I see what you say as well.

It is probable that when they took the screenshot, Dorn's stats and alignment were different and they decided to change them in the process, but in the meantime the screenshot was approved.

So they changed his values to today's.

Or something.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Imoen is hooded now =D
  • ioannismanioannisman Member Posts: 43
    I generally like the new UI and I am finding myself ok with the new color scheme but...

1. I totally dislike the size of the buttons and the side and bottom borders of the dialog box, really huge and chunky, is that scalable according to our preferred resolution?
    If the bottom border was thinner we could see 2 lines of dialogue instead of just one.
    Also I noticed that it goes from one line straight to six which takes a lot of gaming space , is it not possible to see two, three or four lines of dialogue?

2. The fonts used in the record and inventory screens are very big taking away a lot of information, are these also scalable according to used resolution?

Finally I would like to see the same screen in different resolutions and also the new zoom in, zoom out feature in action, cheers.
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602

I generally like the new UI and I am finding myself ok with the new color scheme but...

1. I totally dislike the size of the buttons and the side and bottom borders of the dialog box, really huge and chunky, is that scalable according to our preferred resolution?
    If the bottom border was thinner we could see 2 lines of dialogue instead of just one.
    Also I noticed that it goes from one line straight to six which takes a lot of gaming space , is it not possible to see two, three or four lines of dialogue?

2. The fonts used in the record and inventory screens are very big taking away a lot of information, are these also scalable according to used resolution?

Finally I would like to see the same screen in different resolutions and also the new zoom in, zoom out feature in action, cheers.

It's most probably to allow everything to be touch friendly for the iPad and Android.
    They haven't made different editions of the game for iOS, OSX, Android and windows.

Personally, I haven't got a problem with it, I think it works just fine.
  • bnvdarklordbnvdarklord Member Posts: 15
    I really like what I'm seeing in these new screenshots! I don't know if anyone pointed out already but the empty space in the inventory screen is a little annoying.

Excuse the poor photoshop but I think this looks better http://i.imgur.com/BVXAP.jpg.
  • bnvdarklordbnvdarklord Member Posts: 15
    edited November 2012
    Didn't think of that, maybe it shows some item information like damage etc on mouse over so you don't have to right click all the time.
    I really don't think that Dorn character information page has been photoshopped.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited November 2012
    Tanthalas said:

I really don't think that Dorn character information page has been photoshopped.

Go to http://pixlr.com/editor/, load up the Dorn shot, click adjustment -> exposure, then take it to 100%.

edited November 2012
    It's pretty clear it's edited.

The reason should be that when they took the screen Dorn was a bit different and he changed throughout the testing, thus they edited it to portray his stats of today.

Or maybe they used some tomes on him and his original stats were altered.

Or whatever.