Skip to content

Why i will stay single for the rest of my life

dreamtravelerdreamtraveler Member Posts: 377
edited December 2017 in Off-Topic
At times there are thing that bother me so to get em out of my system i talk about em though this forum being rated Teen i don't think it will really help me...
I live in a dysfunctional family and the one with the problem is my mother... i have to put up with her excessive ego and her vaingloriousness she always likes to stay on top... things were not always like this but just the fear of being trapped in a similar dysfunctional marriage scares the shit out of me.

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    What a title for a thread!

Why not tell us more? This is a very welcoming community. People have opened up here before and always found it very rewarding.
  • dreamtravelerdreamtraveler Member Posts: 377
    @semiticgod
    Between 2 bad choices the best choice is neither of them, the second best choice is the one with the less bad effects for the people around you (not you).
    With that being said i wanna say:
    "Thank you mother or should i say wife of my father for everything you have done for me and then taking it all back with your behaviour."
  • TheGraveDiggerTheGraveDigger Member Posts: 336
    Shouldn't there be a poll or something?

And shouldn't this be posted here?
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/7232/the-topic-for-unhappiness-vent-your-sorrow
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    You should stay single, @dreamtraveler, if you cannot be a fair partner.

The conflict will emerge if you wish to receive more - say human affection, intimacy etc - than you can fairly give.

If in your heart of hearts you really would like to be with someone, then work on becoming that fair partner. While the fora thing might help, it is mainly a real life exercise, I think. At least do try to avoid being unfair, coz your suffering purportedly matters more than someone else's.
  • dreamtravelerdreamtraveler Member Posts: 377
    @TStael
    in my heart of hearts i want peace and quiet though
    i can give affection & intimacy far more than i will ever receive i was naive once but i am not gonna make the same mistake again.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I think what @Raduziel said is very valuable. I have little to add.

And what I want to add that, the way you see it, @dreamtraveler you are scared of something that's not really there yet. Yes, your family backgroud is difficult, but that doesn't mean that you are bound to be stuck in disfunctional relationship in the future. As @Raduziel said, it's a matter of finding the right person.

And to be more sure, when you do that (if you choose so), you may as well try the relationship and live with that person for 2-3 years before thinking marriage. That's what I would do in that situation.
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    edited January 2018

@TStael
    in my heart of hearts i want peace and quiet though
    i can give affection & intimacy far more than i will ever receive i was naive once but i am not gonna make the same mistake again.

I am wondering if you have been possibly been brought up to be the "performing daughter" or the "son of the back-chamber" - I've intimate knowledge of those, and it is hard to break free of those expectations.

This said, one has to unload such burdens independently - most of us shall have unfortunate human relations or love affairs, where we hoped for more and were left disappointed or heartbroken.

But if it becomes a pattern, there is extreme bad luck or plausibly some pathology of human relations involved.

For example: persons abused by their parents by violence are highly more likely either to mete out violence themselves, or become victims of domestic abuse.

Acknowledging the hurt is the vital step, really.

From thence, one can

- repeat (wrong and regrettably typical)
    - withdraw (sound morally but often unhappy); or
    - try to transcend the pattern - (ideal mostly)

I really wish you the last.

Edit: spelling - wither to either