Skip to content

A Forum Restart

kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
After November 30°, i would suggest a forum restart. What i mean is a clean in the forum so we can work new ideas, now with the game in hand making the topics more objective.

This doesn't need to be something black and white (unless that's what you want, i will make a choice for that).
So lemme present the options i thought below.
  1. A Forum Restart130 votes
    1. Yes, delete everything (except the announcements of the admins of course), so we can have a fresh forum start after the release of the game.
        7.69%
    2. No, stupid idea, keep everything as it is at the moment, the messy of a forum is just an example of his high activity sometimes.
      58.46%
    3. Alternative, create an Archive directory and store every file made before November 30° there. Make the archive directory files only visible if specific accessed (exception to roleplay directory).
      18.46%
    4. Alternative, create an Archive directory and store the actual discussion Category there (except the roleplay directory). Leave every other category as they are at the moment.
        8.46%
    5. Another option (justify it)
        6.92%

Comments

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Um, I doubt the the forums will be deleted.
  • Jean_LucJean_Luc Member Posts: 228
    edited November 2012
    Poll, poll, poll, poll, poll... Poll anyone? Get yer poll here! Ron Poll 2016!
  • sepottersepotter Member Posts: 367
    I'm fine leaving everything as it is, but If there were a change I would like all the old stuff maintained... I doubt anything will change, which is fine by me.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    There's just too much info that was passed on these forums. It would be a waste to delete anything. For instance, when BioWare closed to public their old forums, they committed a serious crime against human kind. Have you any idea how many people would google for some solutions for BG and could find them on forums like this or those ones?
  • allhailsteveallhailsteve Member Posts: 210
    Not broken. Don't need fixin'
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    You are soooo right @Cheesebelly! I remember that and it made my blood boil when Bio closed those forums.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Well for that reason i raised alternative options (and even voted on them). Keep them in a archive file directory, still traceable by the forum search engine, but would give us a free start and space for new discussions.

Just want to remember that i put an yes option for the sake of diversity, that doesn't mean that i want the forum to be deleted, i voted on option 3 by the way cos i can see some benefitson it.

@Jean_Luc, spam, spam, spam, are you trying to rush badges?
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Cleaning out threads based on nothing but their timestamp in relation to Nov 30th just seems incredibly stupid - granted, some threads are useless and others are just there for jokes or passing time, but by now a few actually contain decent amounts of useful game-related information that isn't always easy to find elsewhere in a pinch - not to mention the threads documenting the bug-finding/erasing process and externalization debate.

Sorting them based on their qualities in such regards would seem like a better idea, if anything is to be cleaned out at all.

And I agree with Cheesebelly, the old BioWare BG2 forums contained tons of detailed game information that it was apparently ok to erase in order to force focus onto their flashy new games instead.
  • Twilight_FoxTwilight_Fox Member Posts: 448
    Keep it, not a stupid 'idea', the forum is not messy, each information is valuable.
  • GilgalahadGilgalahad Member Posts: 237
    edited November 2012
    Archiving everything but the most relevant threads(faq's and their like as people who may be new to the game might like to read those before possibly buying it) makes sense.

Then again, i don't see a problem with leaving everything as is as new posts will simply push the old into irrelevancy and newer posts concerning bg2:ee and the inevitable bellyaching of the few who will no doubt disike some of the enhancements will dominate the forum.
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    Wouldn't mind an archive, but in the end, things are gonna be messy either way, so why bother.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Lord no, please do not wipe these forums. There's some great info buried here already. What we need is some sort of advanced search function.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    There are so many fun and informative threads that would be lost...
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    instead of a new forum, perhabs a better search option.
    perhabs make a few more moderaters, to clean it up :)
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    edited November 2012
    The worst suggestion I've heard in a long, long time...
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    @Oxford_Guy ?? My suggestion ?
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    I want easy access to all the dumb polls I want, when I want...

Plus if you do archive, I would give you a month before you want to archive again...

Especially with the dumb content I post! Yay!

Now lets start a thread about a cure for minsc's baldness... Was boo accidentally first used by minsc as a toupe?
  • GygaxianProseGygaxianProse Member Posts: 201
    An archive seems redundant, as the forum is archived via search anyway. New threads will bury the old with a flurry of activity upon release.
    I understand the desire for clarity, though. Some minor restructuring may be needed down the road, like BG2 pre release, etc., for now it seems organized fine.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    lordkim said:

@Oxford_Guy ?? My suggestion ?

No, the original one by @kamuizin
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    Alter the dating system from standard Western Calendar to; BBGEE and ABGEE.

;D

(that was supposed to be a wink, though it could be laughing through tears for all I know!)
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    Please don't delete anything. I don't want to lose the fanart challenge stuff so far, or have the Heal/Hurt thread I'm running deleted before it's complete.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    edited November 2012
    I didn't suggested nothing than the option that i raised: An archieve for old files.

If that's the wrost suggestion you saw in a long long time? A pretty weak statement based on the kind of the suggestion, but ok, that's your opinion, and you're entitled to it, IF express it in respect to other people opinions, what didn't happened @Oxford_Guy.

Don't mistake the fact of the existence of the first opinion of this pool with my opinion, look where i put my vore and then, ONLY THEN criticize my choice. If i gave an option Yes, delete all, that was done in respect to people that can think that way, and i'm pretty sure some people can find a reason for a start over in this forum.

My opinion is for an Archive directory after November 30°, where we put post of every category (except the roleplay directory) that was made before the release date.
  • BaldursCatBaldursCat Member Posts: 432
    No to a forum reastart, but I've been thinking about this and it'd be really great if all the threads scattered about the place relating to gaming tips and tricks be filtered into one place, or two places if we go for Spoilers / Non-Spoilers. Lord knows I need enough help staying alive, never mind actually killing anything and progressing!
  • CyhortCyhort Member Posts: 78
    Uh, no, no that's a stupid idea IMO. Just leave everything the way it is since there's nothing wrong with it.
  • ArcalianArcalian Member Posts: 359
    I direct your attention to when Bioware changed over their forums. Nuff said.
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560
    It's an idea. Not a stupid idea, but --

There is ZERO advantage to wiping the forums. I'm a little surprised you'd suggest this. As others have pointed out, some of the threads here already turn up when Googling for specific game information.

Why on earth would anyone want to delete that?
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    We get enough repeat threads now without deleting everything and having people ask everything all over from scratch. Not to mention all the irreplaceable nuggets of wisdom, objet d'art, and sundry bits
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    Why would you want to delete all this stuff?
    There are some good topic.

But I would delete all stupid polls, starting this one.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Another Option is to just make a new category in these polls titled "New Ideas/Mods for the Game" and keep the "Modding" option as more of a toubleshoot/help/scripting area.

Keep everything else the same as stated by pretty much everyone else in this thread.
  • IronThroneOfBhaalIronThroneOfBhaal Member Posts: 24
    edited November 2012
    No idea what the purpose of a forum restart would be. After release I imagine new topics will simply push the old ones down.