Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition has been released! Visit nwn.beamdog.com to make an order. NWN:EE FAQ is available.
Soundtracks for BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, IWD:EE, PST:EE are now available in the Beamdog store.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Discussion of "Trash" Feats/Spells/Etc

124»

Comments

• ShadooowShadooow Member Posts: 225
    Tresset said:

What are everyone's thoughts on this? Is Lasting Inspiration worth it or not?

A must feat for bard on PWs. In case of singleplayer you can live without and you might be right with the repleneshing the bonuses.

The reason why it is so good on PWs is because of the difference in design. In singleplayer there is a lot of story based content where you don't fight and the combat zones consist of lot of short encounters. Therefore the 1minute duration of bard song is enough and on top of that you are almost never limited by resting so if you get out of uses you can simply rest and replenish the uses.

On almost every PW I have been the situation is completely different. The combat zones are infinite, you can stay and fight there as long as you can and the longer you can fight the better. Also dungeons are much longer than in SP and contains encounters which respawns, so you are not safe in previously cleared zones and will have to fight again on the way back. Also resting is very often limited. In such environment, the Lasting Inspiration is extremely usefull.

TressetshadguyDerpCityProont
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 1,569
    edited July 11
    Tresset said:

Hardly a trash feat, but sometimes I wonder about Lasting Inspiration... I mean, a bard song that lasts 10 turns sounds really good on paper, but in practice I wonder if it may actually be better to have it last for a shorter duration so it can be reapplied to grant more bonus HP more frequently or to do damage more often in the case of Curse Song. What are everyone's thoughts on this? Is Lasting Inspiration worth it or not?

You're right; it's not worth it. By the time a bard gets Lasting Inspiration they can use their bard song a lot anyway, and Curse Song can be used at will. It's better to just reapply the bard song when it wears off.

Edit: Never mind, I didn't see @Shadooow 's post.

Tresset
  • ProontProont Member Posts: 67
    edited July 12
    Tresset said:

Hardly a trash feat, but sometimes I wonder about Lasting Inspiration... I mean, a bard song that lasts 10 turns sounds really good on paper, but in practice I wonder if it may actually be better to have it last for a shorter duration so it can be reapplied to grant more bonus HP more frequently or to do damage more often in the case of Curse Song. What are everyone's thoughts on this? Is Lasting Inspiration worth it or not?

I prefer Lasting Inspiration. I like not having to reapply bard song as often. And I find the other boosts from Bard Song more useful than the bonus HP.

Post edited by Proont on
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 516
    Lasting Inspiration is more of a convenience thing, otherwise you could just take Lingering Song which extends the song to a minute and a half but doesn't take an epic feat slot. There are modules and persistent worlds which have modified bard song and sometimes also rest limitations which makes it far more useful.

To get an indication of what should make it useful, as always consider the original design. In this case you can refer to NWN2 to get an idea of the various songs and inspirations. The difference is that bard effects are usually maintained by concentration, and when they stop they either immediately cease or persist for a number of rounds. Lasting Inspiration as the name suggests extends the time that it continues to persist after the effect has ceased. The biggest use for this is to stack multiple inspiration effects.

Effectively NWN's bard song ability is already a composite of the various inspiration effects, with slightly different bonuses. So some of the benefit you would get you already get for free.

dTdProont
124»