Skip to content

Pathfinder : Kingmaker

Comments

• DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    Good to know they put a fail safe in season of the bloom if you're by yourself.

There's something amusingly endearing about a game that lets massive spells like cloudkill wreak havoc on the game and kill random story necessary people. I did learn to be very careful with that spell, even with communal delay poison making the party immune to it. I don't know if they've fixed it in the EE, but it was hilarious to dump a cloud kill in the middle of your court and see how many of your advisors just died. There is a role play aspect that you should have to be careful with where and how you use these massive area affecting spells, and careless usage can kill innocent bystanders.

The additional party members make great advisors, and there's a massive amount of XP available from their quests. You're not forced to take them with you in your party, asides from their quests. At least in the EE, now you can put a merc in the advisor slots, but they're never as good as the NPCs. So if you head over to the tavern to see Anoriel 8 Eyes and hire some mercs you should be able to fill any open slots in your kingdom. Linzi could also be your curator and the storyteller your magister. Tsanna, the priestess of Lamashtu from Season Of The Bloom can also be a councilor/high priest.
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    I'd heard that was bugged though, and you can't rank up with mercenaries?

Maybe I can switch Storyteller between Curator and Magister to keep ranking both up? Or does it reset if you remove the advisor?

I an not sure that is bugged, but i can rank up with merc well. The unique thing that is low level in my barony is espionage. Anyway, i suggest to save, remove and see if reseted or bugged, when the game is bugged save scum is justified and i never removed one...
    The kingdom will keep the rank of the stat if you change advisors, but the new advisor's bonus may not be the same as the previous advisor so they may give smaller or bigger bonus to resolving events. I've never tried this with a merc, but have changed councilors and generals around.
  • PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868
    edited August 2019
    Nope, it does not reset but you have to level up the storyteller (and the other non-companions) via projects. If you have companions that you do not use in the field you can level them up in the stat you need as an advisor and they are far better than Bartholomew, Vordekai, the curator, etc. You can equip them with stat-enhancing items too, unlike the advisors. Some of the advisors you have are plain stupid, like Lander Lebeda (I still do not know how he manages to suggest the worst option every time. I thought first that he was a mole of a traitor, but I think that he simply is "common sense" challenged)
    You can use mercenaries as advisors but they usually have a crippling -4/ -7 penalty, so they are not very good and you normally have other choices.

Recruit all the companions is good advice, not only because you have more (and better) options to advisors, but because if not you will miss their quests (and dialogs). You do not even have to take them to the field, you can let them wait in the capital.
    kanisatha wrote: »
    mlnevese wrote: »
    Is there any more DLC in the planning? I wonder if they will ever implement epic level rules although I particularly do not like very high level games.
    I also personally don't care for high level play. I just love being the unknown little guy, where gaining a new level or a new piece of equipment makes you feel really awesome and like you've accomplished something meaningful. Once I'm at high levels, the game starts to feel meaningless and valueless.

Yeah, when every loot you get is worse than the one you already have, you´ve got tons of money and nothing worth buying, and you win 80% of the battles in auto-attack I usually have very acute episodes of restartitis (because you already read all the dialogs in previous runs).
  • Jaheiras_WitnessJaheiras_Witness Member Posts: 614
    As long as it's not absolutely necessary to have all advisor positions filled, I'll carry on as is; don't want to recruit extra characters for what is meant to be solo. And I'll try to shift advisors around so I can rank up different stats.

No idea who Tsanna is btw, I did season of the bloom and do not remember her or think where she was. Maybe that joker I tracked to the hunting lodge? Can't remember what I did with her, probably execute or let Kesten jail her. I'm Lawful Good (although alignment has changed to Neutral Good through actions) so not much chance I would be having her join me.
    edited August 2019
    Ya, Tsanna was the Priest of Lamashtu you tracked to the hunting lodge with Kestin. I'm sure most people probably banish or murder her.

Things can get very gross in chapter 6 if you don't have all your advisor slots filled. Having your minister (espionage) unlocked and a decent level makes the late game kingdom management a lot easier, since there is some specific stuff for them.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    PsicoVic wrote: »
    like Lander Lebeda (I still do not know how he manages to suggest the worst option every time. I thought first that he was a mole of a traitor, but I think that he simply is "common sense" challenged)

I meeeaann
    Both? He backstabs you during the situation with Armag, but it's just him as a like level 7 fighter and some goons. So he's both a traitor AND an idiot. I love him as a character though.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Looks like Pathfinder: Kingmaker will release on PS4 around December 2019. Should bring Owlcat additional funds for their next game, I wager.
    edited August 2019
    Finally defeated Spawn of Rovagug. Instead of trying to use magic(something that doesn't work), i decided to change my approach and did the following
    • Hired an lv 20 merc barbarian and massivelly buffed him and eqquiped him with the best itens and resistance to fire and acid(see why below) and made everything that i could to make him a tanky character, not to tank physical blows with high AC, but to tank elemental damage(for this HP > AC)
    • Then buffed him with spells like legendary proportion in pre battle
    • Used magma deadly earth from my kineticist and an fire wall and launched some summons to distract the boss, then the barb raging.
    • Let my charname's magic like mass ice prison and tsunami only to his minions
    • Used druids and clerics to re buff him every time that he got dispeled but only used other animal companions as distraction, he was the main DPS and to heal then of course.
    • In about one minute, the boss got defeated .

The barb
    [IMG][/img]

The boss finally dead
    [IMG][/img][IMG][/img]

Why so many people say that magic is OP in pathfinder/D&D when melee is much more reliable against this ridiculous powerful creatures?
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Does the game in any moment gives you the opportunity to freely explore the kingdom without half a dozen timed quests? I can't even upgrade my kingdom stats without some quest running out of time and forcing me to reload...
    mlnevese wrote: »
    Does the game in any moment gives you the opportunity to freely explore the kingdom without half a dozen timed quests? I can't even upgrade my kingdom stats without some quest running out of time and forcing me to reload...

In between main quests the game gives you time to explore and rank up your kingdom. You get like 4 weeks when you first get your kingdom before the main quest for chapter 2 starts up.

If you play the game the opposite of how you play most RPGs, you'll do well. By that I mean, when someone tells you to do something, you should probably do it and deal with important events and main quest stuff and come back to the sidequests during the lulls. When companions come to you with a quest, you've also easily got at least a month to deal with it, generally much longer, before you fail their quest.
    I'll just set the kingdom to automatic in my next playthrough. This is the only part of the game I actually don't like.
    edited August 2019
    In my case is the opposite, it is the part of the game I like the most.
    I am now playing "Forged of blood", a tactical tb game Fire emblem-style. It is kinda kingmaker without the dungeon crawling part. I found it funny that the executable of the game is called "Kingmaker" like the one in Pathfinder. It seems that that was the original name at some point.

The only part I found tedious is the research for the curses to get the extra ending. That researches could give some type of bonuses, because they are the longest and gives no apparent revenue.
    edited August 2019
    I like kingdom management, it is unique, fun and different but isn't my favorite part and i an awful. Solution? Put on effortless difficulty. I like more the management of an small fort like Crossroad Keep on nwn2 than to manage an entire kingdom, but Pathfinder has rules for "king making" and mass combat http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/mass-combat/

And i think that they should have added mass combat, even if can be turned to effortless by the player who doesn't like or are awful at it. And honestly don't know why people complain so much about it when puzzles are much more gimmicky and can't be set to effortless, luckly, this game little to no puzzles compared to other games....
    Kingdom management is great. It gives so many options in terms of what order to do things in, whether to claim new regions, rank up advisors, address problems and opportunities or just go adventuring. Also building up cities is fun and interesting. It also helps to advance timelines. Games like BG1 and BG2 I complete in like 50 in-game days, that hardly seems realistic. With kingdom management this game is lasting literally years in-world. Don't find it furstrating or difficult at all, I have it on manual and it adds another dimension. Also allows me to spend loot on buying build points to spend on my kingdom. It's definitely an excellent addition to pure adventuring and fits the story, since the game is about building a kingdom not just being an adventurer.

Just been made king in-game :blush: Awesome stuff.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    My only *real* gripe with the kingdom management is that you're getting your titles far too abrupt. You start off as a no-name Commoner, become Baron and then you're suddenly King/Queen of a whole country. If you're going to use real life nobility ranks, do it properly! >_<

From lowest to highest: Baron -> Viscount -> Earl -> Marquis -> Duke -> King/Queen -> Emperor/Empress.

Having a more gradual process would have added so much depths to the story, imho. And don't get me started with the non-existant political marriages. I'm still bitter they didn't include them... so much for continuing the line of the throne.

My only *real* gripe with the kingdom management is that you're getting your titles far too abrupt. You start off as a no-name Commoner, become Baron and then you're suddenly King/Queen of a whole country. If you're going to use real life nobility ranks, do it properly! >_<

From lowest to highest: Baron -> Viscount -> Earl -> Marquis -> Duke -> King/Queen -> Emperor/Empress.

Having a more gradual process would have added so much depths to the story, imho. And don't get me started with the non-existant political marriages. I'm still bitter they didn't include them... so much for continuing the line of the throne.

In all fairness, not everywhere and every time used those ranks For example, in early Anglo-Saxon England, you could have Thegns (Like Thane from skyrim) under Jarls/Earls answering straight to a King. That being said, an intermediate step in title between having that little one zone Barony, to being a King/Queen and controlling most of the map, probably should have been in there.
    edited August 2019
    In the Iberian Peninsula (Actual Spain&Portugal) there were also a few titles that answered only to the King, like Condestable or Adelantado Mayor or the Hidalgos. Also "sea nobles" like the Almirantes de la Mar océana or military nobles like Mariscales. And a bunch of arabic titles that disappeared after the Reconquest.
    I think the Baroness is more a Mariscal than a baron =P

Pathfinder: Crusader kings DLC, please =)

edited August 2019
    Just reached max level in my game after defeating the Spawn of Rovagug. Took me one reload, which I'm quite pleased about for very first attempt and without any knowledge of its powers. First time I had a critical failure for Will saving throw and ran (in fact Charged) into my own Deadly Earth + Cloud. That didn't end well. Second time was a close run thing, those silver things he throws for which there is no attack roll and which do 100 damage per hit are horrendous :o But as my Deadly Earth + Cloud was dishing out over 200 damage per round even after all its resistances and fast healing, I just had to outlast it.

Screenshots of character record and inventory - have Acts 5 & 6 still to go.
    5.jpg
    6.jpg

Here's one of the things I like most about kineticist: every ability/button I ever have to press is on the bottom quickbar. Makes it so simple to manage compared to spellcasters.
    7.jpg

Snapshot of kingdom. Stats look pretty good, still have to rank up every advisor multiple times (the challenge DCs are getting really high now, sometimes base chance is like 20% without using crisis points). Still no magister; but plenty of build points ;)
    8.jpg
    In therms of DPS, is Kineticist the strongest class? I mean, my kineticist magma deadly earth and the fact that an enemy under wall, deadly earth and taking the direct blast damage can take up to 300 damage per round trivialized some encounters that i had a lot of trouble in my first run without DLCs.

Also, a lot of spells that won't allow SR in pnp like incendiary cloud ( http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/i/incendiary-cloud/ ) are not in the game. And note that even if was in the game 6d6 damage / turn is nothing compared to what an kineticist can do...

PS : Icy prison, mass is an amazing spell against enemies with poor STR but looks like the STR check is bugged. My caster level is 20, the icy prison should have an STR check of 38 with my feats, but by some unknow reason, the DC is just 33, that means that an ancient red dragon(STR = 39 / bns = + 14) can break free with good rolls but i should be able to paralyze him without any chance of freeing himself...
    Yeah, the kineticist damage output is phenomenal and unparalleled. The great thing is it's effortless as well. It's not like you have to cast a spell every round or depend on a roll to hit; you cast Deadly Earth before combat starts; then it's one round of gather power and then throw out Cloud. You are now doing 200-400 damage per round to everything in the AoE without any further effort. No attack rolls or saving throws involved and physical damage ignores Spell Resistance, it's guaranteed carnage. If anything is still alive you can throw out Wall, Detonate or attack with the Kinetic Blade. But 95% of fights are done within 3 rounds.

What makes the character so perfect for solo is not just the DPS: it's the defences and utility on top of the DPS. You basically get feats at the rate of a fighter (but more restricted list) which means you can invest in skill focuses as well as saving throw boosts (Iron Will et al). You can see how strong my skills are from the screenshots, I have everything a solo character needs, max Perception, Trickery and UMD as well as respectable Lore Nature and Stealth.

And defensively, 244 HPs, base AC54 (+8 in melee from Crane Style + Wing), saves of 27/24/28. This is all unbuffed as well, Heroism is more or less a permanent +2 as well as Death Ward, Haste and Displacement which I always have up for any meaningful fight. Heart of Ira adds more damage and larger enemies in particular (low Reflex) regularly fail their saves so they have fatigue/exhaustion effects. I don't have all top equipment yet either, belt is only +4, bracers are only +6 etc.

So you have a tier 1 tank who can handle all important skills and who has unparalled, irresistable, AoE DPS. Did I mention how overpowered this is?

You mention Mass Icy Prison - haha, I had a proper panic yesterday because the Captor got me with it! I'd won the fight but I had failed a save against it. DC36 to get out of it: my STR modifier is +0. Lol. Doing 31 cold damage to me per round: I checked the duration - 20 mins and x seconds. Wtf?! I immediately drank Protection from Cold and Resist Cold potions, but then I was taking 21 damage per round. I tried Break Enchantment and Heal, neither of those removed it. What do I do now?!

Checked everything I had and couldn't see a way to remove it. I didn't have Dispel Magic, not sure if that would have worked (probably not from a scroll as DC to dispel would be too high).

Did the maths: 21 damage per 6 seconds for 20 odd minutes. That's 4200 damage. I had something like 10 Heal scrolls, they would mitigate 1100 damage. Added up all my healing scrolls, wands and potions, amounted to something like 600d8 + 1500 healing, which with average rolls would equate to 4200 healing. So I should be safe, I have 5300 healing against 4200 damage, so even with some low healing rolls I should be fine.

Since this was going to take a while (20 mins) I decided to head out to see if the Honest Guy or Xelliren had anything that would help. I'd sold them so much loot, maybe there's a weapon or ring somewhere that makes me immune to cold? Amazingly as soon as I stepped out of the portal the damage stopped: I was still failing STR checks but no damage was accruing. That was a lucky break!

On the flip side, I noticed after the Rushlight drunken melee that my equipped weapons were no longer providing their passive buffs. No more Freedom of Movement from Mallet of Woe and no more +6 dodge AC from Arcane Protectors :o. Tried everything to get those buffs back, tried unequipping and re-equipping, different slots, resting, saving and exiting and then re-loading, nothing worked :(. There's something about that melee (which de-equips all your equipment) that is blocking those passive boosts from equipped weapons taking effect (I definitely had the buffs before that melee). In a way this is good, because it's surely a bit of a flaw to have weapons you are not using giving you their buffs. But it's also annoying as hell because I had sold all my Freedom of Movement scrolls (and a wand as well I think) and I have no idea where; so going to be very difficult and frustrating to find where.

Oh well, onwards and upwards. I held my tongue at Rushlight but King Irrovetti is due what's coming :)
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Quick question: Is there a zoom in and out. I just recently watched a youtube video of a guy doing it, but I can't find the quick keys for them.
    @deltago Yes. It's on your mouse wheel. I don't remember if there is a keyboard shortcut for it.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited August 2019
    *deleted*
    (Forgot what thread I was reading - posted about Baldur's Gate.)
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Ya... don’t have a mouse wheel. Oh well.
    deltago wrote: »

You don't have 2 finger scrolling?
    edited August 2019
    Guys, anyone know an walktrought with MAPS on house of edge of time? Literally every walktrought that i saw put a lot of useless screenshots but no map about where i go to open some doors. I cheated on my first run to get the keys but now i wanna beat without cheats and just got 2 keys but is the same boring hours long walking simulator to never open an annoying beasement door that is by some unknow reason more resistant than ancient dragons; This parts are soo annoying. Any way to see an actual walktrought showing the paths and not useless screenshots of the party in locations that i don't know where and a lot of items that i don't care????

Edit : I really miss Arcanum. Disintegrate actually works VS doors.

edit 2 : found the third key. Now where i should use?

edit 3 : Found the solution(s), took almost 8 hours to pass this dungeon. On my first run, i just used cheat to "teleport" behind the door
    Post edited by SorcererV1ct0r on
    Kinda surprised you had that much trouble, especially after they made it a lot easier to get the 3rd key through the mist.

So did you do the optional extra chapter or just decide to end it there?
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    deltago wrote: »

Laptop? Should be able to do it with the corresponding finger movement on the mouse finger track pad thingy.
    edited August 2019
    Kinda surprised you had that much trouble, especially after they made it a lot easier to get the 3rd key through the mist.

So did you do the optional extra chapter or just decide to end it there?

Only found the third key thanks to a youtube video, but already found her and finished the game.
    rgxIyD0.jpg