Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Axis & Allies 1942 Online is now available in Early Access! Buy it on Steam. The FAQ is available.
New Premium Module: Tyrants of the Moonsea! Read More
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Pathfinder : Kingmaker

15051525355

Comments

  • PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 408
    edited September 11
    I like the one that adds the goblin race as playable, like in Pathfinder 2e. There are even soundsets for this, but also BG soundsets like Dorn or Caelar Argent.
    https://www.nexusmods.com/pathfinderkingmaker/mods/83
    https://www.nexusmods.com/pathfinderkingmaker/mods/21
    https://www.nexusmods.com/pathfinderkingmaker/mods/130
    https://www.nexusmods.com/pathfinderkingmaker/mods/70

    The best are the quality of life mods that allows you to dispel concentration spells like sickening entanglement and stuff like that instead of make you wait till you are able come across. Or the one that gives you a shortcut key to sneak. Or use potions with one click.

  • Jaheiras_WitnessJaheiras_Witness Member Posts: 543
    My favourite class – Sword Saint – build. Not as powerful as Psychokineticist, but a lot more interesting in some ways, has great variety and combination of weapon and magical options.

    Key strengths: very solid defence, blistering attack with both weapons and magic, ton of skill points, classically suited to solo no-reload play (it’s basically the best of fighter/mage/thief in BG terms).

    Race: Human (we need as many feats as possible)
    Classes: Sword Saint (18), Rogue (1), Traditional Monk (1). You take Sword Saint at level 1, Rogue at level 2, Monk at level 3, and then Sword Saint permanently thereafter.
    Alignment: any Lawful

    STR: 7
    DEX: 16
    CON: 14
    INT: 17 +2
    WIS: 14
    CHA: 7

    All level up points go to INT.

    Skills: you can max out 7 skills so knock yourself out with whatever you want. I tend to go Perception, Trickery, UMD maxed, and distribute the rest among Stealth, Persuasion, Knowledge Arcana, Mobility, Athletics, Lore Nature (that’s basically everything!).

    Feats and Advancement Guide

    Level 1: Sword Saint 1, Dodge, Toughness (Human bonus feat), Chosen Weapon: Kama

    I know Kama is a weird choice for weapon, everyone always says Estoc, Scimitar, Dueling Sword etc. All I can say is I’ve done the maths and the maths says that the extra attack at full BAB from Flurry of Blows gives out more net damage than higher damage dice/crit ranges from non-Monk weapons. The more base damage you do and the higher your chance to hit, the higher the differential becomes. Even a x3 or x4 crit multiplier does not make up the difference. If you want to think of it intuitively/simplistically, it’s better to land one extra attack with your normal damage than to have a 20% higher chance to land 2-3x higher crit damage from fewer attacks at declining BABs.

    Level 2: Rogue 1, (Weapon Finesse)

    It would be Thug if there were any way of fitting Dazzling Display and Shatter Defences into the mix, but alas too many other feats wanted. Weapon Finesse means you can now hit things with your Kama.

    Level 3: Traditional Monk 1, Slashing Grace, Improved Initiative (Monk bonus feat)

    Now you can damage things with your Kama as well and this build is truly off the ground. NB: I do not go down the Fighting Defensively / Crane route. We already get -2 AB if we use Spell Combat and it would require at least 2, likely 3, feats to take the Crane line.

    Level 4: Sword Saint 2

    Level 5: Sword Saint 3, Blindfight, MA: Extended Magic (use this to double duration of your most valuable buffs such as Shield, Mirror Image, Haste, Displacement, Greater Invisibility etc as you advance levels)

    Level 6: Sword Saint 4

    Level 7: Sword Saint 5, Iron Will, Combat Casting (Magus bonus feat)

    Level 8: Sword Saint 6, MA: Enduring Blade

    Level 9: Sword Saint 7, Weapon Specialisation

    Level 10: Sword Saint 8

    Level 11: Sword Saint 9, Improved Iron Will

    Level 12: Sword Saint 10

    Level 13: Sword Saint 11, Spell Focus Evocation, Improved Critical (Magus bonus feat). The spell focus is in preparation for next feat

    Level 14: Sword Saint 12, MA: Empower Magic

    Level 15: Sword Saint 13, Spell Specialisation. Ultimately this is for Hellfire Ray, you can choose something else interim

    Level 16: Sword Saint 14

    Level 17: Sword Saint 15, Greater Weapon Specialisation, MA: Maximise Magic

    Level 18: Sword Saint 16

    Level 19: Sword Saint 17, Skill Focus Trickery, Penetrating Strike (Magus bonus feat)

    Level 20: Sword Saint 18, MA: Quicken Spell

    Spell Specialisation allows you to take Hellfire Ray to caster level 20 instead of 18. That’s crucial as you need caster level 19 to get the third ray. You’ll have noticed Magus Arcana selections of Empower, Maximise and Quicken. So 3 times per day, you can fire out a swift action Hellfire Ray that does 405 damage (as long as you can hit with ranged touch attack, which you really should). That’s aka “I win” button for when you really need it. So you can splash around with your enhanced weapons chopping up opponents and using spellstrike shocking grasps/vampiric touches, safe in the knowledge you have a nuke in your back pocket should you need it.

    bleusteelSkatan
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 1,560
    For those who played with turn based mod. How long took to you complete the game? If the base game is huge, with a mod that makes six seconds into an eternity, how long it will last?

  • PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 408
    I do not beat the entire game in TB (The wild hunt causes me attacks of procrastination ) but roughly the same time, you can turn off the TB mode in trash mob fights and random encounters and turn it on to actually enjoy the fights vs elite and bosses at least.

  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,138
    It's a good day when you suddenly see the Shaman class appear ingame. :3

  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 629
    Ha, when you wrote "ingame" I immediately thought it was official. Apparently not.

    modestvoltamlneveseSorcererV1ct0r
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 1,560
    Yes, modders can't bring certain hexes into the game...

  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,370
    I love Kingmaker so much, especially with mods. The Endless Dungeon DLC + mods means I can try out all sorts of class combinations.

    Kamigoroshi
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,425
    Are there any good walkthroughs and quest guides of this game?

    @Vallmyr @PsicoVic @Kamigoroshi

  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,237
    Are there any good walkthroughs and quest guides of this game?

    @Vallmyr @PsicoVic @Kamigoroshi

    This is pre-EE, but I did pick up the no-reload thread complete with screenshots, and that'll show you how to get a lot of the ideal solutions for a lot of things. There have been changes to the game since then, though, since the enhanced edition was released like literally a few days after I finished the run. It's still probably like 98% accurate.
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/1066181/#Comment_1066181

    It was a Lawful Evil run, though, so your mileage may vary.

  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 629
    Hey, for all those who want walkthroughs and ideal solutions from the net, here's a geniune question (NOTE: without any implied criticism!) from someone who simply doesn't understand you: why do you want them? What's the point?

    I mean, the way I look at a game is that it's an adventure where I'm supposed to figure stuff out for myself. This means that I may well make some mistakes, but that's fine, because on the other hand, when I accomplish something, it's also my accomplishment and nobody else's. What's the point of playing at all if somebody else solves all your problems for you?

  • bleusteelbleusteel Member Posts: 491
    People have different reasons for playing games. Some people just want to enjoy the story and see the ending. Nothing wrong with that.

    lefreutmlnevese
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,237
    xzar_monty wrote: »
    Hey, for all those who want walkthroughs and ideal solutions from the net, here's a geniune question (NOTE: without any implied criticism!) from someone who simply doesn't understand you: why do you want them? What's the point?

    I mean, the way I look at a game is that it's an adventure where I'm supposed to figure stuff out for myself. This means that I may well make some mistakes, but that's fine, because on the other hand, when I accomplish something, it's also my accomplishment and nobody else's. What's the point of playing at all if somebody else solves all your problems for you?

    Because of that damn candle puzzle ;)

    mlnevese
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 9,524
    I thought some of the dungeons a little boring.

  • bleusteelbleusteel Member Posts: 491
    xzar_monty wrote: »
    Hey, for all those who want walkthroughs and ideal solutions from the net, here's a geniune question (NOTE: without any implied criticism!) from someone who simply doesn't understand you: why do you want them? What's the point?

    I mean, the way I look at a game is that it's an adventure where I'm supposed to figure stuff out for myself. This means that I may well make some mistakes, but that's fine, because on the other hand, when I accomplish something, it's also my accomplishment and nobody else's. What's the point of playing at all if somebody else solves all your problems for you?

    Because of that damn candle puzzle ;)

    Hah! I took screenshots of those two puzzles (the candles and the armor in the prologue) and noted the quickest solution (once I figured it out) so I could have it handy for future runs.

  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,237
    bleusteel wrote: »
    xzar_monty wrote: »
    Hey, for all those who want walkthroughs and ideal solutions from the net, here's a geniune question (NOTE: without any implied criticism!) from someone who simply doesn't understand you: why do you want them? What's the point?

    I mean, the way I look at a game is that it's an adventure where I'm supposed to figure stuff out for myself. This means that I may well make some mistakes, but that's fine, because on the other hand, when I accomplish something, it's also my accomplishment and nobody else's. What's the point of playing at all if somebody else solves all your problems for you?

    Because of that damn candle puzzle ;)

    Hah! I took screenshots of those two puzzles (the candles and the armor in the prologue) and noted the quickest solution (once I figured it out) so I could have it handy for future runs.

    I did it the first time by myself, but I'm not going to waste time on it in subsequent playthroughs. There's a 3 step solution out there.

    Heh, I played the intro so much I have the statue puzzle memorized now.

  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 629
    bleusteel wrote: »
    People have different reasons for playing games. Some people just want to enjoy the story and see the ending. Nothing wrong with that.

    I never even insinuated there was anything wrong with it. I simply wanted to understand the motivation, as I find it peculiar.
    I also wish to enjoy the story -- that's the most important aspect of these games for me. Thus, I don't do multiple playthroughs, because after the first one, I know the story and there's nothing more for me.

  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 629
    xzar_monty wrote: »
    Hey, for all those who want walkthroughs and ideal solutions from the net, here's a geniune question (NOTE: without any implied criticism!) from someone who simply doesn't understand you: why do you want them? What's the point?

    I mean, the way I look at a game is that it's an adventure where I'm supposed to figure stuff out for myself. This means that I may well make some mistakes, but that's fine, because on the other hand, when I accomplish something, it's also my accomplishment and nobody else's. What's the point of playing at all if somebody else solves all your problems for you?

    Because of that damn candle puzzle ;)

    I googled this now. I don't remember even seeing that room. Perhaps it was behind a secret door that I didn't find, or something. :-)

  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,237
    xzar_monty wrote: »
    xzar_monty wrote: »
    Hey, for all those who want walkthroughs and ideal solutions from the net, here's a geniune question (NOTE: without any implied criticism!) from someone who simply doesn't understand you: why do you want them? What's the point?

    I mean, the way I look at a game is that it's an adventure where I'm supposed to figure stuff out for myself. This means that I may well make some mistakes, but that's fine, because on the other hand, when I accomplish something, it's also my accomplishment and nobody else's. What's the point of playing at all if somebody else solves all your problems for you?

    Because of that damn candle puzzle ;)

    I googled this now. I don't remember even seeing that room. Perhaps it was behind a secret door that I didn't find, or something. :-)

    Ya, you had to pass a decently high perception check to even get in there.

    I actually dig multiple playthroughs if there's differences between them. Like different character, alignment and choices. Obsidian does really well with that sort of thing, but there's a decent amount of choices that can affect stuff several chapters later in this game.

    xzar_monty
  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 629
    For me, BG2 has been the only one to remain interesting for multiple playthroughs, simply because of the different party configurations, and mods. I understand your point and do agree in principle, but most games just don't cut it for me. P:K was good fun once, but I'm pretty sure that was it.

  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,237
    xzar_monty wrote: »
    For me, BG2 has been the only one to remain interesting for multiple playthroughs, simply because of the different party configurations, and mods. I understand your point and do agree in principle, but most games just don't cut it for me. P:K was good fun once, but I'm pretty sure that was it.

    I do wish they had as many party options as BG2, at the very least the game needs a second real mage of some sort. It definitely has a lot more choice and consequence than the BG games, though. There's a massive amount of class/archetype combinations, though.

  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 629
    edited October 30
    I have no doubt of that, but I have little interest in class/archetype combinations. I am interested in the written content, not so much the mechanics side of the game. I mean, it's not not interesting, but also not worth an extra playthrough.

  • modestvoltamodestvolta Member Posts: 78
    xzar_monty wrote: »
    Hey, for all those who want walkthroughs and ideal solutions from the net, here's a geniune question (NOTE: without any implied criticism!) from someone who simply doesn't understand you: why do you want them? What's the point?

    I mean, the way I look at a game is that it's an adventure where I'm supposed to figure stuff out for myself. This means that I may well make some mistakes, but that's fine, because on the other hand, when I accomplish something, it's also my accomplishment and nobody else's. What's the point of playing at all if somebody else solves all your problems for you?

    As much as I enjoy this game, I'm using guides for some of the major decisions because there are quite a few dialogue options that just aren't clear to me. I'll think I've made one decision by picking a certain dialogue, but some other decision will happen. I'm trying my best to remember, but there was an advisor dialogue (Jubilost and taxes?) where I could not tell which option agreed with what he wanted me to do (which is I wanted to do!).

  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,237
    xzar_monty wrote: »
    Hey, for all those who want walkthroughs and ideal solutions from the net, here's a geniune question (NOTE: without any implied criticism!) from someone who simply doesn't understand you: why do you want them? What's the point?

    I mean, the way I look at a game is that it's an adventure where I'm supposed to figure stuff out for myself. This means that I may well make some mistakes, but that's fine, because on the other hand, when I accomplish something, it's also my accomplishment and nobody else's. What's the point of playing at all if somebody else solves all your problems for you?

    As much as I enjoy this game, I'm using guides for some of the major decisions because there are quite a few dialogue options that just aren't clear to me. I'll think I've made one decision by picking a certain dialogue, but some other decision will happen. I'm trying my best to remember, but there was an advisor dialogue (Jubilost and taxes?) where I could not tell which option agreed with what he wanted me to do (which is I wanted to do!).

    I don't know if you played it pre-enhanced edition, but most of the kingdom management stuff now has mouse overs that specifically tell you the impact to the kingdom. Like the event with taxes it will show you one of the options decreases the unrest level, another increases your economy, while another decreases loyalty but gives build points, or something to that effect.

    I really dig the fact that a decision you made a few chapters earlier in the game can pop up and help you or bite you in the ass.

  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 629
    The most baffling kingdom improvement category, by the way, were those trade deals. I don't think I made any: the costs were so exorbitant that I didn't think they would or even could have ever paid me back my investment.

    DrHappyAngry
  • modestvoltamodestvolta Member Posts: 78
    xzar_monty wrote: »
    Hey, for all those who want walkthroughs and ideal solutions from the net, here's a geniune question (NOTE: without any implied criticism!) from someone who simply doesn't understand you: why do you want them? What's the point?

    I mean, the way I look at a game is that it's an adventure where I'm supposed to figure stuff out for myself. This means that I may well make some mistakes, but that's fine, because on the other hand, when I accomplish something, it's also my accomplishment and nobody else's. What's the point of playing at all if somebody else solves all your problems for you?

    As much as I enjoy this game, I'm using guides for some of the major decisions because there are quite a few dialogue options that just aren't clear to me. I'll think I've made one decision by picking a certain dialogue, but some other decision will happen. I'm trying my best to remember, but there was an advisor dialogue (Jubilost and taxes?) where I could not tell which option agreed with what he wanted me to do (which is I wanted to do!).

    I don't know if you played it pre-enhanced edition, but most of the kingdom management stuff now has mouse overs that specifically tell you the impact to the kingdom. Like the event with taxes it will show you one of the options decreases the unrest level, another increases your economy, while another decreases loyalty but gives build points, or something to that effect.

    I really dig the fact that a decision you made a few chapters earlier in the game can pop up and help you or bite you in the ass.

    I started playing after the enhanced edition, and did not know that! Between work and life, I’m still on my first playthrough months later, but I’ll see if that helps me out.

    Skatan
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,237
    xzar_monty wrote: »
    The most baffling kingdom improvement category, by the way, were those trade deals. I don't think I made any: the costs were so exorbitant that I didn't think they would or even could have ever paid me back my investment.

    Ya, the one from Varnhold was about the only one worth doing. Same thing with the ones that reduce the cost of some types of buildings, just not worth it.

    xzar_monty
  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 629
    xzar_monty wrote: »
    The most baffling kingdom improvement category, by the way, were those trade deals. I don't think I made any: the costs were so exorbitant that I didn't think they would or even could have ever paid me back my investment.

    Ya, the one from Varnhold was about the only one worth doing. Same thing with the ones that reduce the cost of some types of buildings, just not worth it.

    Yeah, true, good point. I did some rudimentary calculations on those, too, and couldn't for the life of me figure how they could ever work. Thus, I never did any of them.

    Utterly baffling to have something like this in the game. Ruins nothing, but looks bad.

  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,370
    I would say the Pitax trade deal should be unfavorable since they hate you and wouldn’t want a fair deal. But the others should’ve been more beneficial.

Sign In or Register to comment.