Skip to content

Is it normal for saving a game to take over 10 secs???

I noticed this after the recent 2.5 patch, every time I try to save a game the game goes white and unresponding for some good fifteen seconds, I tried to put up with it and play alone but things are getting worse, and the little party portraits on the save/load page starts to shift upwards recently.
Then I uninstalled the latest steam version and dug up my old 2.3.67.3 GOG pack, started a new game, saves good; dug up a really old saved game, saves good; tried a savefile from 2.5 patch, screen goes white.
So is there anyone having any similar problems? Or is there any possible way to rescue my 2.5 savefiles? It really hurts to wait and risk the game crushing everytime I save it. Annnd I really don't want to abandon this current game.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Joan_DaroJoan_Daro Member Posts: 112
    Shandyr said:

Hi @Joan_Daro ,

would you tell us your hardware specs? Which operating system are you running? Which graphic card do you have? Are your drivers up to date? And lastly, is Dorn in your party when you experience this issue?

Issues that may be related to yours:
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/72207/bug-after-upgrade-game-slows-down-between-screen-changes-and-quicksave#latest
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/65986/crazy-long-save-times

OMG yes I checked, Dorn IS the cause of the whole thing, I removed him from the party in v2.3 and the problem went away.
    Re-installed v2.5 and kicked him out, saves normally.
    However an old 2.3 file with him in my party does not have the same issue.

Lenovo thinkpad X1Carbon, i5-3427, 4GB mem, up-to-dated Win 10
    Not sure about the graphic card thing, never checked, never cared.
    Shandyr said:

Then please try the following, open the console and use the following command:
    C:SetGlobal("kryll_conv","GLOBAL",2)
    If you are unfamiliar with the console, read this thread first.

The explanation for this particular bug is here.

Let us know, if the offered solution works for you.

Thanks. Yes I am familiar with the consoles. Gonna try it now.
    edited August 2018
    Shandyr said:

Then please try the following, open the console and use the following command:
    C:SetGlobal("kryll_conv","GLOBAL",2)
    If you are unfamiliar with the console, read this thread first.

The explanation for this particular bug is here.

Let us know, if the offered solution works for you.

Um, nope, didn't work.
    Actually I am in BG2 where I think Kryll should not exist at all... unless we are talking the Gorion encounter but I don't think so. I'm still in SOA.
    By setting Kryll_conv to 2 I actually created a global variable.
    And while removing Dorn did solve the saving problem, he has always been acting normal, no stutters or what.
    edited August 2018
    Shandyr said:

Oh yes, I didn't think of it that you were playing BG2:EE. Interesting, so Dorn is not only causing problems on BG1:EE but also causing problems on BG2:EE. "Good" to know.

I will call for some more knowledgeable help :)

@Bubb @Gusinda @JuliusBorisov
    Would you help out here, please? :)

Will it be helpful if I upload a savefile here?

edit: uploaded anyway
    btw, How on earth is a save in ch2 larger than an end-game save???
    Post edited by Joan_Daro on
  • BubbBubb Member Posts: 1,000
    I can't reproduce the long save times with either of the attached saves. I looked up the specs of your laptop, and it does use Intel integrated graphics, which more recent versions of the game seem to have problems with...

@Gusinda knows much more about the slowdowns related to Intel graphics than I do, so I'll let him help you :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Bubb said:

I can't reproduce the long save times with either of the attached saves. I looked up the specs of your laptop, and it does use Intel integrated graphics, which more recent versions of the game seem to have problems with...

@Gusinda knows much more about the slowdowns related to Intel graphics than I do, so I'll let him help you :)

I doubt this has anything to do with my graphic card if I can solve the problem by removing Dorn from the party... which actually worked in both 2.3 and 2.5.
    Thanks for the effort though.
    Actually I have the feeling that it's some script secretly running in the background. I created a new game, same thing happened when Imone started to cast something due to party ai on. This is getting more and more ridiculous.
    edited August 2018
    Shandyr said:

Bubb said:

Hmm we already knew about Intel integrated graphics causing problems. And we know about Dorn in BG1:EE. Until now I thought those two were two separate issues.

But apparently, the problem with the Intel graphics occurs for @Joan_Daro in BG2:EE only with Dorn in the party?

@Joan_Daro
    Would you confirm again? The problem in version 2.5 only occurs with Dorn in the party?
    I really can't say for now... all I know is *removing* him definitely solves the problem.
    But I made multiple other tests and some of them doesn't even include Dorn and they too saves really slow. But some of those savefiles are from ridiculous versions say 2.0 or 1.2 with SCS so I guess that doesn't say anything.
    Now the *only* file which I'm *sure* is saving at normal speed (say, 2 secs) is the one after I kicked him out.
    I am confused.

Edit: okay, after 5 saving & loading or so *that* file slowed down a little too. Now I'm thinking this is not straightforwardly linked with Dorn, he just happened to be tangled up with the problem.
    It's still the Intel graphics thing perhaps.
    But I don't think I've had this level of problem before 2.5 patch...
  • BubbBubb Member Posts: 1,000
    @Joan_Daro: Since I cannot reproduce the bug I can't test anything myself; but try this:

I've seen many threads where switching to the Alternative Renderer in the Graphics options fixes slow saving times, with the caveat of making the whole game run slower. Maybe try switching this setting? You must restart the game for the change to take effect.
    Bubb said:

@Joan_Daro: Since I cannot reproduce the bug I can't test anything myself; but try this:

I've seen many threads where switching to the Alternative Renderer in the Graphics options fixes slow saving times, with the caveat of making the whole game run slower. Maybe try switching this setting? You must restart the game for the change to take effect.

...Gee, it worked.
    Thanks a lot...!!