Skip to content

The Politics Thread

Comments

• Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367

Balrog99 said:

There's more at play here than just Trump.

No comments from @jjstraka34, @smeagolheart, or @semiticgod about my Gretchen Whitmer post? I admit I might vote for her next time if she follows up on her promises. That should give you all hope for the future if you ask me. I can only speak for myself of course, but I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in my viewpoints.

Edit: Sorry, should have mentioned @LadyRhian also in this post...

@Balrog99

I amn't familiar with Gretchen Whitmer.. what did you want to discuss about her?
    She's our newly elected governor(ness) here in Michigan. She's an opposition candidate who sounds a bit refreshing since I heard an interview with her on the radio. Just thought I'd mention that I kinda like a Democrat (so far anyway).
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    Balrog99 said:

Balrog99 said:

No comments from @jjstraka34, @smeagolheart, or @semiticgod about my Gretchen Whitmer post? I admit I might vote for her next time if she follows up on her promises. That should give you all hope for the future if you ask me. I can only speak for myself of course, but I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in my viewpoints.

@Balrog99

I amn't familiar with Gretchen Whitmer.. what did you want to discuss about her?
    She's our newly elected governor(ness) here in Michigan. She's an opposition candidate who sounds a bit refreshing since I heard an interview with her on the radio. Just thought I'd mention that I kinda like a Democrat (so far anyway).
    I kinda like a few Republicans. Though I'm hard pressed to name one that is a politician.

Balrog99 said:

Balrog99 said:

@Balrog99

I kinda like a few Republicans. Though I'm hard pressed to name one that is a politician.
    Admit it. You kinda like me... ;)
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,395
    Balrog99 said:

For the purposes of a criminal trial, we must assume someone is innocent unless proven otherwise. But for the sake of a government appointment, I think the degree of certainty needs to be a bit higher than "reasonable doubt."

If some guy in my neighborhood got accused of being a pedophile, I wouldn't support a lynch mob, but I also wouldn't let my kids stay at his house until I was sure the accusation was false.

Even if the allegations were over 30 years old and there weren't any since then? I have to say I'd agree with you as far as my daughter is concerned, but I'm not sure it'd be 'fair'. The better part of discretion would say 'not my daughter' whether the allegation was true or not. That's the gist of why this is so bogus. Kavanaugh should never have been nominated. Draining the swamp was one of Trump's campaign promises for God's sake!
    I'm not sure that Trump's history to that point gave that campaign promise much credibility ;). As for Kavanaugh he's in line with Trump appointments more generally - corruption, unsuitability and incompetence are not a problem if the appointee is willing to support Trump personally (Whittaker is just the latest example of this). This article gives a flavor of the lack of ethical practices across the administration.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Balrog99 said:

Balrog99 said:

@Balrog99

I'll admit something too. Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer are two Democrats I don't really care for. We need better leadership than those two. I can't think of any current Republicans worth a darn. McCain was a decent person, had some integrity.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I'm sad to say that with John McCain dead, and Lindsey Graham's complete lack of good bipartisan faith exposed during the Kavanaugh hearings, I don't know of any Republican politicians I can respect anymore.

I'm open to suggestions, if anyone wants to point out some Republican politicians who have made real efforts to improve our system. Who am I overlooking?
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    edited November 2018
    Balrog99 said:

I'm not from Michigan or anywhere near it, but one of my roommate's friends is from Michigan and is staying here. I'll ask her tomorrow, as she is asleep right now.

EDIT: she did express great satisfaction with the fact that Scott Walker is gone. I mean, she was practically crowing about it. When I shared the fact that his own law prevented him from asking for a recount, she laughed so loud, she probably disturbed the neighbors.
    edited November 2018

I'm sad to say that with John McCain dead, and Lindsey Graham's complete lack of good bipartisan faith exposed during the Kavanaugh hearings, I don't know of any Republican politicians I can respect anymore.

I'm open to suggestions, if anyone wants to point out some Republican politicians who have made real efforts to improve our system. Who am I overlooking?

Maybe Kasich. He's not very charismatic. I don't even know if he's in office lol at this point.

I want to clarify that while I'm not a fan of Pelosi or Schumer I would take them over any current Republican. I just find there's not much difference there, they're sellouts like every Republican, but better on social issues with more integrity. Not that they have full integrity, just more. I'd be happy if they got primaried.
    So at this point, Flake has some scheme to ensure there's a vote on protecting Mueller from being fired. The problem is no longer "Will Trump fire Mueller". He doesn't need to fire him anymore. He has his dog in charge of the investigation. He will rig the results.
    LadyRhian said:

Balrog99 said:

I'm not from Michigan or anywhere near it, but one of my roommate's friends is from Michigan and is staying here. I'll ask her tomorrow, as she is asleep right now.

EDIT: she did express great satisfaction with the fact that Scott Walker is gone. I mean, she was practically crowing about it. When I shared the fact that his own law prevented him from asking for a recount, she laughed so loud, she probably disturbed the neighbors.
    Well, that's Wisconsin, but close. If she's from the UP then that's almost the same thing... ;)

Maybe Kasich. He's not very charismatic. I don't even know if he's in office lol at this point.

I want to clarify that while I'm not a fan of Pelosi or Schumer I would take them over any current Republican. I just find there's not much difference there, they're sellouts like every Republican, but better on social issues with more integrity. Not that they have full integrity, just more. I'd be happy if they got primaried.
    Hey, Kasich is who I voted for in the primary. Charisma or not I wish he'd won at this point...
    The US is planning to refuse future applications for asylum by illegal migrants.

While I would have some sympathy with this policy if it were carried out fairly, I can't see the faintest possibility of that happening. By fairly, I mean that migrants who wish to apply asylum should be able to do so. That means that tactics would not be permitted like those used on the border not long ago of physically closing border crossings, or saying that staff were not able to receive applications at the moment - asylum seekers confronted with such situations, who crossed over the border and immediately handed themselves over to immigration officials were classed as criminals.

Incidentally, I don't actually believe that crossing the border illegally should be treated as a criminal action in any case. US legislation provides two sets of laws to deal with such matters:
    - the first is under administrative law and is the one that has historically been applied to migrants. The penalties for breaching that law are deportation and possible exclusion from later attempts at legal migration and I think those penalties are sufficient for people who have broken no other laws.
    - the second provides for criminal penalties. One of the difficulties associated with the recent massive use of these provisions is that it has helped clog up the courts and penal system more generally, despite the denial of due process measures that most people would say should be necessary in a criminal trial (like notification of court dates, the availability of legal counsel or translators for those who speak no English).

One current anomaly in the US system is that, while crossing a border illegally is both an administrative and a criminal offence, staying illegally in the US is only an administrative offense. It's actually very common for 'illegals' to initially arrive legally in the US (for instance on a tourist visa). Trump has already made one unsuccessful attempt to change the law to criminalize this situation and he will no doubt keep trying. As I said above though it would seem more sensible to me to bring the immigration situations into line by removing criminal penalties associated with illegal border crossing.
    Grond0 said:

The US is planning to refuse future applications for asylum by illegal migrants.

While I would have some sympathy with this policy if it were carried out fairly, I can't see the faintest possibility of that happening. By fairly, I mean that migrants who wish to apply asylum should be able to do so. That means that tactics would not be permitted like those used on the border not long ago of physically closing border crossings, or saying that staff were not able to receive applications at the moment - asylum seekers confronted with such situations, who crossed over the border and immediately handed themselves over to immigration officials were classed as criminals.

Incidentally, I don't actually believe that crossing the border illegally should be treated as a criminal action in any case. US legislation provides two sets of laws to deal with such matters:
    - the first is under administrative law and is the one that has historically been applied to migrants. The penalties for breaching that law are deportation and possible exclusion from later attempts at legal migration and I think those penalties are sufficient for people who have broken no other laws.
    - the second provides for criminal penalties. One of the difficulties associated with the recent massive use of these provisions is that it has helped clog up the courts and penal system more generally, despite the denial of due process measures that most people would say should be necessary in a criminal trial (like notification of court dates, the availability of legal counsel or translators for those who speak no English).

One current anomaly in the US system is that, while crossing a border illegally is both an administrative and a criminal offence, staying illegally in the US is only an administrative offense. It's actually very common for 'illegals' to initially arrive legally in the US (for instance on a tourist visa). Trump has already made one unsuccessful attempt to change the law to criminalize this situation and he will no doubt keep trying. As I said above though it would seem more sensible to me to bring the immigration situations into line by removing criminal penalties associated with illegal border crossing.

It may be a crime, but crossing illegally is only a misdemeanor. He's also cut down on legal immigration. He seems to think that too many people are coming to the US from those S***HOLE countries he mentioned once upon a time. He only wants white immigrants. He was heard to ask why more people don't come here from Nordic countries.

Trump wants fewer immigrants from “shithole countries” and more from places like Norway

https://www.vox.com/2018/1/11/16880750/trump-immigrants-shithole-countries-norway

Trump is about to sign an asylum ban

https://www.vox.com/2018/11/8/18076510/asylum-trump-border-caravan
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Sorry, I will be staying in the Nordics.

I don't blame you. But that's what Trump wants. Just the whitest of white people.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited November 2018
    Republicans now want to just flat-out stop counting votes in Florida now that the margins have tightened. I've seen this movie before. And why wouldn't they try it again?? Last time it got them the Presidency. And gave us 9/11 and Iraq.

They attempted to do the same thing in Arizona yesterday and failed.

Here is what former Republican Congressman from that State has to say about it:

In 2000, they stopped vote counting in Florida by literally sending a mob of Republican Congressional staffers to where the votes were being counted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooks_Brothers_riot?wprov=sfla1

Rudy Giuliani seems to be suggesting that simply because Broward and Palm Beach are not done tabulating yet, and the rest of the state is, that any remaining votes not counted by the time the rest of the state is done should be invalidated. That's a hell of a rule.
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    LadyRhian said:

I don't blame you. But that's what Trump wants. Just the whitest of white people.
    I don't agree with ethno nationalism, but why Israel wanting only jew immigrants, with DNA testing ( https://academic.oup.com/jlb/article/2/2/469/826237 ) and Japan can be 98% Japanese and most non Japanese being Japanese-descendents and other Asians, but if a white country do the same, the country is racist?

What if Germany decides to only give citizenship to people who are German by blood and test immigrants to proof the German ancestry? People will call then nazists, will do parallels with the nazi-germany where naturalization are restricted to people who are german by blood like Egon Albrecht Lemke(Brazilian) and Richard Walther Darre(Argentine) and probably put then under economic sanctions.

And if you think that mostly mixed race countries are free from racism
    Black Mexicans deported from Mexico to Haiti for "looking like a Haitian"
    http://www.hougansydney.com/whats-happening-in-haiti/black-mexicans-deported-from-mexico-for-looking-like-a-haitian-

How the media will react if the Trump start to deport to Haiti American citizens who "look like haitian"?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Republicans now want to just flat-out stop counting votes in Florida now that the margins have tightened. I've seen this movie before. And why wouldn't they try it again?? Last time it got them the Presidency. And gave us 9/11 and Iraq.

They attempted to do the same thing in Arizona yesterday and failed.

Here is what former Republican Congressman from that State has to say about it:

In 2000, they stopped vote counting in Florida by literally sending a mob of Republican Congressional staffers to where the votes were being counted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooks_Brothers_riot?wprov=sfla1

Rudy Giuliani seems to be suggesting that simply because Broward and Palm Beach are not done tabulating yet, and the rest of the state is, that any remaining votes not counted by the time the rest of the state is done should be invalidated. That's a hell of a rule.
    Yeah Rubio tweeted something like omg the Democrats want to count every vote, this cannot be! #Nostealthevote or some crap.

So Republicans are going to steal offices in Florida that they do not deserve. Again. Will they get away with it? Again?

-------

In GA where there were sometimes just one or two voting machines for thousands of voters leading to hours of delay voting. This only happened in places that were primarily black or potentially Democratic. If white rural areas, no problem.

There were hundreds of fully functional voting machines in warehouses. Just sitting there.

https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile/georgia-officials-kept-hundreds-of-voting-machines-locked-in-warehouses-on-election-day/?fbclid=IwAR1DP_b9rkepveSkekwbH0yfhdXyPFW_NY_NyUp9fTSA3zTbgx03cY5DmCs
    edited November 2018
    Josh Marshall over at TPM explains very simply why what Trump and Rick Scott are now pushing as "voter fraud" without a hint of evidence is horse manure:

It’s a simple point. Democrats are concentrated in large urban counties. Almost everywhere in the country, these counties take longer to count the vote than more sparsely populated exurban and rural areas. That’s hardly surprising. It’s not new. We’re seeing it in Arizona and Florida. In fact, we’re seeing it across the country. It’s just that those are states with Senate and governors races that remain undecided. If you stop counting the votes before the blue regions are done counting, that obviously helps the Republican candidates quite a lot. That’s exactly what Rick Scott is trying to do as of last night, just much more openly and brazenly than even Republican candidates have done in the past.

Governor Scott actually said this last night: “Late Tuesday night our win was projected about 57,000 votes. By Wednesday morning that lead dropped to 38,000 votes. By Wednesday evening, it was around 30,000 votes. This morning, it was around 21,000. Now, it is 15,000.”

It’s a remarkably candid statement. The red regions (mainly) are done counting. But as we count the votes in the blue regions, I’m falling behind! He’s now saying the voting has to stop now because of “rampant fraud” for which there is not the slightest hint of evidence.

Given where the remaining vote is, it’s quite clear that simply counting the votes – not recounting, reanalyzing or litigating anything – will lead to Scott losing. So he’s using his police powers as governor to do everything in his power to stop the counting now.

Like in Georgia, Scott is basically overseeing his own election. That is one thing. But to actually start using the power of the state (as both men have) to make SURE they win no matter what the actual results are (or should have been) is quite another. How Florida keeps sending back the guy who was behind the largest example of Medicare fraud in the history of the country is another of life's great mysteries:

https://www.politifact.com/florida/statements/2014/mar/03/florida-democratic-party/rick-scott-rick-scott-oversaw-largest-medicare-fra/
    You know there should be laws against Republicans being involved in elections. They are just too corrupt at this point. Ridiculous and sad but they just can't be trusted at all.
    edited November 2018
    Seriously, this guy is such an unmitigated prick:

Besides this there is a 50 second clip of him raving like a lunatic on the White House lawn about how Barack Obama "destroyed" the military and that he is having to spend tremendous amounts of money to restore it. And in the same sentence he calls April Ryan (a White House reporter) a "loser", he then demands that he himself be treated with "respect". No adult with an ounce of sense would ever treat this infantile manchild with respect. As Marty said to Rustin Cole in the first season of True Detective, "you sound panicked".
    Here's a comment piece on the Acosta incident about the need to take a balanced approach. Much as I dislike Trump (and suspect he deliberately sought something like that incident), I do agree that both sides were about equally at fault in that confrontation. I also agree with the warning about taking sides over issues as a matter of course - and that doing this is playing Trump's game.

Just in case of any doubts, I don't think there's any balanced approach needed or available in relation to the follow-up banning of Acosta and the doctored video supporting that - such lies should always be straight-forwardly condemned.
    edited November 2018
    Grond0 said:

Here's a comment piece on the Acosta incident about the need to take a balanced approach. Much as I dislike Trump (and suspect he deliberately sought something like that incident), I do agree that both sides were about equally at fault in that confrontation. I also agree with the warning about taking sides over issues as a matter of course - and that doing this is playing Trump's game.

Just in case of any doubts, I don't think there's any balanced approach needed or available in relation to the follow-up banning of Acosta and the doctored video supporting that - such lies should always be straight-forwardly condemned.

I'm sorry, but no. One side was asking aggressive questions, the other side released a DOCTORED video tape that was pushed by InfoWars. These are not two sides of the same coin. Do not buy into this nonsense. The issue ceased to become Acosta's behavior when the White House decided to released deliberately altered videotape as propaganda to smear the same reporter. And to do so, they got in bed with the media outlet that has claimed for years that the children at Sandy Hook weren't actually killed and that it was a false flag. I'm sorry, but there absolutely no "both sides". This kind of false equivalency is going to destroy this country.

Even in this article, the writer calls the incident with the microphone a "tussle". It was not a tussle. It was the female staffer attempting to wrench the microphone from his hand and Acosta just standing there doing basically nothing that the physics of the universe don't require to happen if someone is trying to yank something from you. A "tussle" would indicate there was some kind of tug of war between the two of them. That didn't happen. The wording is ridiculous. Here is the definition of tussle: a vigorous struggle or scuffle. Yeah, no.
    Try re-reading my post @jjstraka34 - it really is extremely clear what I think about the banning ;).

I think anyone condemning the 'other side' for any behavior, irrespective of the merits of that behavior, are actually themselves falling for 'both sides' nonsense. I will happily condemn what I think is inappropriate behavior, but (even with Trump) I don't think it's helpful to use blanket condemnations. Doing that undermines any reasoned argument about why any particular behavior is problematic.

I do understand your frustration and accept this is an extremely difficult situation. The sheer volume of Trump's inappropriate behavior makes it impossible to properly evaluate and condemn it all before things are forgotten in the rush of new topics for discussion. However, being critical of someone for who they are, rather than what they say and do, is unlikely to change any hearts and minds - it's more likely to reinforce existing divisions.
    edited November 2018
    Grond0 said:

I get what you are saying. He is an aggressive questioner. Why? Because Trump has been ignoring many very important questions. Acosta felt this might be the only time to get answers. Trump regularly appears on Fox News but for the free press he's a snowflake and hides. That was his 3rd solo press conference as President.

And as jjstraka34 shows he's being a cowardly liar again today. Trump can't be honest and his playbook is to lie lie lie lie. Fox News accepts that and asks questions like "tell us more about how strong you are?"

The rest of the world wants real answers to serious questions. He can't handle telling the truth so he cries "woe is me, you are so mean" and or acts like an asshole. He's a snowflake a thin skinned lying snowflake that needs a safe space from real questions.

Trump won't stop being a petulant jerk until no one questions his lies. "Oh really Obama caused every problem? Tell us more?". He's a liar, a fraud, a conman. He acts aggreived when you call out his lies.

Why's he want you to submit to his lies?Because
    Post edited by smeagolheart on

LadyRhian said:

I don't agree with ethno nationalism, but why Israel wanting only jew immigrants, with DNA testing ( https://academic.oup.com/jlb/article/2/2/469/826237 ) and Japan can be 98% Japanese and most non Japanese being Japanese-descendents and other Asians, but if a white country do the same, the country is racist?

What if Germany decides to only give citizenship to people who are German by blood and test immigrants to proof the German ancestry? People will call then nazists, will do parallels with the nazi-germany where naturalization are restricted to people who are german by blood like Egon Albrecht Lemke(Brazilian) and Richard Walther Darre(Argentine) and probably put then under economic sanctions.

And if you think that mostly mixed race countries are free from racism
    Black Mexicans deported from Mexico to Haiti for "looking like a Haitian"
    http://www.hougansydney.com/whats-happening-in-haiti/black-mexicans-deported-from-mexico-for-looking-like-a-haitian-

How the media will react if the Trump start to deport to Haiti American citizens who "look like haitian"?
    To be honest, I don't like either Japan or Israel's immigration policies, either. But we have a different tradition in this country. We are the "Shining City on a Hill" that takes in the poor and homeless. We don't discriminate. We aren't supposed to discriminate. Criminals? Sure, we don't want criminals. But people who aren't criminals? We are supposed to take them in, not discriminate on them based on the color of their skin.

Does Israel have a history of taking in everyone, including non-Jews? No. Does Japan have a history of taking in non-Japanese? Probably not. Both countries have very little room, anyhow. America has many times more space for people. So these places are not like America. You are comparing kumquats to an Apple.
    Time for the Facebook news dump again...

Supreme Court justice Ginsburg released from hospital

She's back at work already!
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-court-ginsburg/supreme-court-justice-ginsburg-up-and-working-after-fall-idUSKBN1ND20M?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Social&fbclid=IwAR3X-drR1dtDVIq5d-SWxAKqd5bTjoGsJLhHmHBt1-o336grMdr0vFUKQYg&fbclid=IwAR0w9zQAyvx6pkFbLmqdyS3I7455-2e18UVNYCVhLp4pfxqUrNyCz-cChZY

Student who refuses to stand for the Pledge of Allegiance expelled, Texas attorney general backs school

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/09/28/pledge-allegiance-law-texas-attorney-general-student-expelled/1440878002/?fbclid=IwAR3BqF4lvxhXSmOlcwC9SPi2Tz6S13GISWjJDJ--pSxcEsyhn5Y2fsdBBT8

Hospital worker fired after wearing Confederate shirt with noose to polls

https://nypost.com/2018/11/08/hospital-worker-fired-after-wearing-confederate-shirt-with-noose-to-polls/

Trump torches Macron, his last friend in the G-7

I can't say I'm really surprised...
    https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/04/opinions/trump-macron-merkel-shifting-alliances-andelman/index.html?fbclid=IwAR3vCFOl48ukt_IjA0jaA3fX2AnY3VqC0oPBA0zGM0xXGJEsHMxtix3ELPM

Two Charts Show Trump's Job Gains Are Just A Continuation From Obama's Presidency

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckjones/2018/10/30/two-charts-show-trumps-job-gains-are-just-a-continuation-from-obamas-presidency/?fbclid=IwAR1PKU38hkVkUA3_ZIb-FtOxVbkD6lSJc_rugVXArYc7c_4nrFli7XldlKI#32b439d81af3

To Be a German Jew in 1938 Was to Live in Disbelief

https://www.tabletmag.com/scroll/274646/what-it-was-like-to-be-a-german-jew-in-1938?fbclid=IwAR2YebF_FpB5QYKU9L4bBaIyZYxQDCwYjJtJODbMBQs6khUmQeeBAryFtKc

Mueller has a way around Trump and his minions

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/09/opinion/trump-whitaker-mueller-watergate.html?fbclid=IwAR02PxkX0nyx0gFb5k8Dc90dS6vMjxjUW17lArVk7BktAjROQbDAS_U_ckA