Skip to content

The Politics Thread

Comments

• BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    deltago said:

BillyYank said:
    There is nothing wrong with offering a correction. People are allowed to make mistakes, even those who are put in a position to defend a unpopular person or position.

Now feel free to claim that they skewed the numbers to make Trump look better about job creation, as that is a worthy angle than Sanders being given wrong figures to defend against the claims that Trump is a racist. (Or even using job creation as a way of saying he isn’t racist)
    Of course there's nothing wrong with offering a correction. The joke I was making is that this administration usually doesn't do so, even if presented with clear evidence that they were wrong. Often they just double-down on their distortions. To not only admit to a mistake, but also to apologize is so unexpected, I did a double-take when I saw the headline.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    The Senate passed a nice resolution affirming the importance of a free press. It included the notable phrase "The press is not the enemy of the people." It's good to know that Trump's values don't represent the rest of the government.
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    In Finland, our president of the republic got bit of fan treatment in from of an adoring / uncritical biography.

My political memory is none too short, so I've viewed his unconstitutional imprint unto the day-to-day politics none too fondly.

I am pleased this behaviour got exposed in from of detailing the man's purported exploits, recalling perso how his predecessors clinging to the actual legitimate presidential power was frowned upon.

Our country can easily handle a toppled government, but it should ill tolerate extra-constitutional meddling from the presidential power base.
  • TakisMegasTakisMegas Member Posts: 835
    edited August 2018

Ammar said:

And they still made up conspiracy theories about faking his birth certificate and his wife being transgender.

That second one just seems random. And not actually a scandal. And also biologically impossible depending on the definition, because she has kids.
    It came from here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBeVJ9TFofM

Then just a few months later she dies on an operating table.

To be honest I told a few people that she would be taken out within a few months from saying this. Joke or not someone didn't like her saying it.

CNN was quick to go on the attack just days after she made the comments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6jlggydQxE

We need to research and discern better as a whole. Where there's smoke....

Est. date of comment July 4th 2014. Died September 4, 2014.

Don't even get me started on Andrew Breitbart .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YOiw4nO0vI

Post edited by TakisMegas on

Also, anyone remember this from CNN"s greatest Fake News Hits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTWY14eyMFg
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    I'd like to point out that starting a rumor (and it was quite pervasive in certain corners of the internet) that Michelle Obama is transgender starts from the assumption that there is something wrong with being transgender in the first place.

I'd like to point out that starting a rumor (and it was quite pervasive in certain corners of the internet) that Michelle Obama is transgender starts from the assumption that there is something wrong with being transgender in the first place.

Nothing is wrong with being transgender. There is something wrong with not being transparent however.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited August 2018

Nothing is wrong with being transgender. There is something wrong with not being transparent however.
    Being transparent about a lie? A bunch of right wing liars spread the rumor that Michelle Obama was transgender, why is that her problem? If she'd addressed it that would have lent credibility to it. To even acknowledge something so ridiculous would have been ridiculous. And guess what those liars would not have believed her anyway because they only repeat their lies, they don't care about the truth. They would have just lied about something else. Screw those liars, they are not worth wasting your breath on.

Being transparent is important huh. So Trump's tax returns..... Where are those? No big deal right but Michelle Obama going out and denying that she's transgender, that's important. The tax returns that would show Trump's conflicts of interest, no big deal. "Hogwash."
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297

Then just a few months later she dies on an operating table.

To be honest I told a few people that she would be taken out within a few months from saying this. Joke or not someone didn't like her saying it.

She was over 80. So many old people said insane things about the Obama, that statistically speaking, some had to die shortly afterwards. In all frankness, looking at your posts I think you may have an issue with constantly seeing some patterns in coincidences. Pattern detection is both an important skill and pattern, but without tempering it with some skepticism it has the danger of turning one into a conspiracy theorist...

We need to research and discern better as a whole. Where there's smoke....

There is fire. But to complete the analogy, the fire is usually where the smoke is coming from. With Obama the smoke was mostly coming from the far right wing of the country and the fire was not Obama being the devil, but the right wing being racist.

Being transparent about a lie? A bunch of right wing liars spread the rumor that Michelle Obama was transgender, why is that her problem? If she'd addressed it that would have lent credibility to it. To even acknowledge something so ridiculous would have been ridiculous. And guess what those liars would not have believed her anyway because they only repeat their lies, they don't care about the truth. They would have just lied about something else. Screw those liars, they are not worth wasting your breath on.

Being transparent is important huh. So Trump's tax returns..... Where are those? No big deal right but Michelle Obama going out and denying that she's transgender, that's important. The tax returns that would show Trump's conflicts of interest, no big deal. "Hogwash."
    Nobody said that her being transgender was important. Was showing some where the comment came from. Why would you even take my comment and spin it into a Trump rant?
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    I hope this is something we can all agree on :) Though I would admit to being bitter if I were the student who has finished last year and is now sitting on a six figure number of debt...
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    https://youtu.be/OSd8ellS52M

Yay! Any Danes on the forum?
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Trump has canceled his military parade after learning it would cost $92 million. He's blaming the high cost on "price gouging local politicians" (huh?). In the real world, most of the money would have gone to the military just to move around the men and machines he was demanding for his Joe Stalin cosplay.
    If it means we're not wasting $92 million on a vanity project, I suppose that's good news.
    edited August 2018
    BillyYank said:

Trump has canceled his military parade after learning it would cost $92 million. He's blaming the high cost on "price gouging local politicians" (huh?). In the real world, most of the money would have gone to the military just to move around the men and machines he was demanding for his Joe Stalin cosplay.

womp womp.

The pentagon said it was delayed and Trump apparently then went and did his "you are not breaking up with me, I'm breaking up with you!" and cancelled the parade and took his ball home. What a pathetic insecure little man that he feels like he has to do things like that and that he only surrounds people who suck up to him and tell him what a good smart little boy he is. PATHETIC.

Nobody said that her being transgender was important. Was showing some where the comment came from. Why would you even take my comment and spin it into a Trump rant?

You said "Nothing is wrong with being transgender. There is something wrong with not being transparent however."

Transparent like Trump's tax records. That he won't show us. Which show his conflicts of interest and how much he was lying about his wealth. That kind of transparent. It fits perfectly. And my question was what does not being transparent have to do with the racist lie that Michelle Obama was transgender put out there by the right wing?
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    I doubt you could have found a single person in the military who wanted to participate in Trump's fascistic display of American military might. Of course, Trump didn't actually cancel it, the Pentagon was simply slow-rolling it to the point that it was never going to happen, and Trump threw a temper tantrum. Since he can't take blame for anything, he (without a single shred of evidence) accused local DC politicians of "price gouging" which forced him to cancel the event, which by now is accepted as the gospel truth by many in this country. And he said that it's ok because now we can buy more "fighter jets". This man is a child. No, I shouldn't say that. Because it's an insult to children.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Nothing on his we can prevent forest fires by removing all the trees, comment?

I know it was a busy day for him, but that comment was by far the stupidest thing I heard in awhile. Like, lower than Bush stupid.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    That’s predictable stupid. Many christians have lost the “do not judge others, instead love everyone regardless of who they are message” that was taught in the Bible. Key word is many. There is still some hope with the likes of @ThacoBell.
    I know @ThacoBell personally, and I think he already exemplifies a lot of Christian virtues. :smile: Compassion, integrity, love, and service to humankind.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    BillyYank said:

deltago said:

Nothing on his we can prevent forest fires by removing all the trees, comment?

I know it was a busy day for him, but that comment was by far the stupidest thing I heard in awhile. Like, lower than Bush stupid.

Ha! You think that's stupid.

Pastor Blames California Wildfires On State’s Embrace Of LGBTQ Rights

Politics stupid can get pretty bad, but nothing beats god stupid.
    Because nothing puts the fear of God into the heart of sinners quite like torching a bunch of random trees. I'm sure the last ice age was caused by rampant adultery in the Neanderthal community...
  • Yulaw9460Yulaw9460 Member Posts: 634
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    Post edited by Yulaw9460 on
    Mostly it's western Eurasians that have Neanderthal DNA, which is probably why Europeans tend to have those prominent brows. The rest of the world has much less Neanderthal lineage.
    edited August 2018

You said "Nothing is wrong with being transgender. There is something wrong with not being transparent however."

Transparent like Trump's tax records. That he won't show us. Which show his conflicts of interest and how much he was lying about his wealth. That kind of transparent. It fits perfectly. And my question was what does not being transparent have to do with the racist lie that Michelle Obama was transgender put out there by the right wing?

So, @smeagolheart can you please show me proof that Joan Alexandra Molinsky was a racist and also part of the Nazi right wing party.

Never heard of her so no I can't show you proof of anything about her.

Why are you asking me or why would it be up to me to do that anyway?
    @TakisMegas: Please don't put words in @smeagolheart's mouth, as this violates Rules 1 and 2.

Never heard of her so no I can't show you proof of anything about her.

Why are you asking me or why would it be up to me to do that anyway?

Joan Alexandra Molinsky is the real name of Joan Rivers. I showed that she made the Michelle Obama transgender comment, I would like to see proof that she was a racist and also part of the Nazi right wing party.

That is where you said the comment came from? ( a racist lie from the right wing) I would like to see proof that she is part of the conspiracy theorists who happen to be racist and part of the right wing Nazi party in America.

Please.