Skip to content

The Politics Thread

Comments

• smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited June 2019
    Trump dozing off during the Queen's speech. The 93 year old queen managed to stay awake and not embarrass her nation, but low energy Trump did not.

Post edited by smeagolheart on
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Seriously? That's all you have about which to complain? Can you *prove* that this is him "falling asleep"? If you are going to complain about a politician, at least complain about something worthwhile--this is just fluff.
    edited June 2019
    Seriously? That's all you have about which to complain? Can you *prove* that this is him "falling asleep"? If you are going to complain about a politician, at least complain about something worthwhile--this is just fluff.

seriously, he's a petty thin skinned piece of crap and he needs everything thrown back in his face. This is the guy after all who's whole schtick is being a twitter troll with the stupid name calling.

The UK shadow foreign secretary rightly called him out. This is an official government position despite the name.

Trump is a ‘sexual predator’ and ‘racist’

"A state visit is an honor, and we don’t think that this president deserves an honor," Thornberry said. "He is a sexual predator, he is a racist, and it’s right to say that. And I think we need to think about when is it that our country got so scared. Why can’t we start saying things as they are?"

The shadow Cabinet minister said it's time for the U.K. to stand up to Trump.

"We’ve seen the way in which this current British government have tried to deal with Donald Trump, by fawning all over him, holding his hand, and what respect have we got as a result of it?" she said, adding that "actually he admires strength."

She said: "It’s like the way you deal with a bully. If you bow down in front of them, you get kicked harder."

So yeah, he's sleeping in front of the queen and everyday is a reminder that this small minded greedy selfish old man who is a fox news conspiracy grandpa is not worthy of representing us, the american people. Again, how much lower does he need to go before you stop saying is that it? I'm sure there were people in germany saying concentration camps is that it?

https://www.politico.eu/article/emily-thornberry-trump-is-a-sexual-predator-and-racist/
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367

seriously, he's a petty thin skinned piece of crap and he needs everything thrown back in his face. This is the guy after all who's whole schtick is being a twitter troll with the stupid name calling.

The UK shadow foreign secretary rightly called him out. This is an official government position despite the name.

Trump is a ‘sexual predator’ and ‘racist’

"A state visit is an honor, and we don’t think that this president deserves an honor," Thornberry said. "He is a sexual predator, he is a racist, and it’s right to say that. And I think we need to think about when is it that our country got so scared. Why can’t we start saying things as they are?"

The shadow Cabinet minister said it's time for the U.K. to stand up to Trump.

"We’ve seen the way in which this current British government have tried to deal with Donald Trump, by fawning all over him, holding his hand, and what respect have we got as a result of it?" she said, adding that "actually he admires strength."

She said: "It’s like the way you deal with a bully. If you bow down in front of them, you get kicked harder."

So yeah, he's sleeping in front of the queen and everyday is a reminder that this small minded greedy selfish old man who is a fox news conspiracy grandpa is not worthy of representing us, the american people. Again, how much lower does he need to go before you stop saying is that it? I'm sure there were people in germany saying concentration camps is that it?

https://www.politico.eu/article/emily-thornberry-trump-is-a-sexual-predator-and-racist/

He was elected, thus was chosen to represent us. There is no one person who can possibly represent every individual in the United States. Obama didn't represent me. Neither did 'W' for that matter. The best I can do is vote for somebody that at least mirrors my point of view more than the other person. As bad as Trump is as a person, he still represents my views more than Hillary would have.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Balrog99 "As bad as Trump is as a person, he still represents my views more than Hillary would have."

That's interesting. What part of Hilary's morals do you personally find so objectionable, and what part of Trump's do you relate too? Because everything I've seen from Trump indicates that he is utterly morally bankrupt. Between killing an entire American industry (soybean exports), attacking the free press, putting children in concentration camps, breaking US and international law by refusing to process immigration, encouraging foreign powers to interfere in our elections, etc. I could probably go on for paragraphs. What good has he done, or what part of him at all "represents" you?
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850

I mean, a guy who throws around insults like "low energy" and then shows himself to be a fat slob who can't stay awake... even if he was awake, and it only looks like he was dozing off, he has given up the right to get the benefit of the doubt.

Well it was far worse than that actually. The whole "stamina" thing was a direct signal for the right-wing media to go after her health, which then speculated endlessly for at least a week that she was concealing a fatal illness because she got sick for a few days. As for actual stamina, I'll again remind people that Hillary testified in an open hearing on Benghazi for 11 hours and Trump, in a written take-home test from Mueller, literally answered every single question with some variation of "I don't remember".
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    I will also say that jet lag is a real thing.

I will say this trip is turning out to be a nightmare for trump in the media and I have not seen anything positive for him or his administration come out of it.

Even him being the centre of attention backfired with his ill fitting tux.
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    @Balrog99 "As bad as Trump is as a person, he still represents my views more than Hillary would have."

That's interesting. What part of Hilary's morals do you personally find so objectionable, and what part of Trump's do you relate too? Because everything I've seen from Trump indicates that he is utterly morally bankrupt. Between killing an entire American industry (soybean exports), attacking the free press, putting children in concentration camps, breaking US and international law by refusing to process immigration, encouraging foreign powers to interfere in our elections, etc. I could probably go on for paragraphs. What good has he done, or what part of him at all "represents" you?

I don't vote for presidents because of their morals. I don't think many politicians could ever survive if a microscope was focused on their personal lives. Most of what you wrote there is blown all out of proportion by people who hate Trump. One thing I actually like is that he's taking on China. It's about fricking time somebody stood up to them. The soybean farmers will be just fine in the long-run. I'm generally a free-trade supporter but China has been cheating the system for far too long.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    Balrog99 wrote: »

I don't vote for presidents because of their morals. I don't think many politicians could ever survive if a microscope was focused on their personal lives. Most of what you wrote there is blown all out of proportion by people who hate Trump. One thing I actually like is that he's taking on China. It's about fricking time somebody stood up to them. The soybean farmers will be just fine in the long-run. I'm generally a free-trade supporter but China has been cheating the system for far too long.

Agree that China has been cheating the system, but as I said before: good for them. It's no surprise that they are one of the few developing countries which has made last strides. The "system" is heavily stacked in favor of industrialized nations.

What I don't believe is that Trump's action will hurt China more than they will hurt the US.
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    The president of the United States embarrassing himself on a diplomatic trip to another country is *absolitely* and *utterly* newsworthy.
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    edited June 2019
    I don't vote for presidents because of their morals. I don't think many politicians could ever survive if a microscope was focused on their personal lives.

How far we have fallen then. I shall hold up my lamp, and continue looking.
    Quickblade wrote: »
    I don't vote for presidents because of their morals. I don't think many politicians could ever survive if a microscope was focused on their personal lives.

How far we have fallen then. I shall hold up my lamp, and continue looking.

Let me rephrase. Just because a politician is 'moral' doesn't mean I'll agree with them or their policies. 'Moral' is a meaningless term usually thrown out there to denigrate a politician in order to get people to vote for somebody they wouldn't normally vote for (or at least not to vote at all). It's the same thing the Republicans did to Bill Clinton. With this result btw - Clinton won a second term...
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    edited June 2019
    The president of the United States embarrassing himself on a diplomatic trip to another country is *absolitely* and *utterly* newsworthy.

It certainly was when GHWB had some gastrointestinal distress at that dinner with the Japanese PM some years ago. In fact, that was important enough at the time that Steve Jackson referenced it on Bush's card in INWO--he is holding a plate of broccoli.

"Shadow government". Oh, you mean "worthless title for a worthless person"? Okay, that makes sense. No one cares about you, Ms. Thornberry--go slink back into the shadows.

Someone had to get the ball rolling this morning. You are welcome.

Oh, and Scot Peterson, former Broward County sheriff deputy, has been arrested on charges of child neglect, culpable negligence, and perjury because of his actions--or, rather, his inaction--during the Parkland school shooting. Mr. Peterson stayed outside the building instead of entering to confront the shooter as per department policy.

It certainly was when GHWB had some gastrointestinal distress at that dinner with the Japanese PM some years ago. In fact, that was important enough at the time that Steve Jackson referenced it on Bush's card in INWO--he is holding a plate of broccoli.

"Shadow government". Oh, you mean "worthless title for a worthless person"? Okay, that makes sense. No one cares about you, Ms. Thornberry--go slink back into the shadows.

Someone had to get the ball rolling this morning. You are welcome.

Oh, and Scot Peterson, former Broward County sheriff deputy, has been arrested on charges of child neglect, culpable negligence, and perjury because of his actions--or, rather, his inaction--during the Parkland school shooting. Mr. Peterson stayed outside the building instead of entering to confront the shooter as per department policy.

Shadow government is official opposition, hardly worthless. This is one of the people that’ll might make up the government in the next election.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768

Good luck with that. The courts have found time after time that the police have no legal obligation to intervene to stop an ongoing crime. "Protect and Serve" is just a catchy slogan that means nothing.

And that's it? His wanting to take on China is ALL that you find agreeable? His complete failure to reign them in at all, and actually makes things WORSE for our economy in the process is a good thing? It overrides kidnapping children, attacking the free press, and encouraging foreign powers to interefere in our elections?

What about Hilary was worse than all this?
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,389
    edited June 2019
    For what it's worth my view is that the state visit by Trump to the UK has gone amazingly smoothly. He has still said several controversial things, but given the microscope that's been on him I would have expected much worse - he has very clearly been on his best behavior.

One example of him not acting in the way I've become accustomed to is that he agreed the US would sign up to a joint statement by the 16 countries attending the commemoration of D-Day (for the 75th anniversary) in Portsmouth. The text is as follows:
    "Seventy five years ago, our countries were about to embark on a decisive battle.

On 6 June 1944, 160,000 Allied troops landed at Normandy, signalling the beginning of the end of the war in Europe. Casualty figures on all sides were immense, with hundreds of thousands of soldiers, sailors, aviators and civilians killed or wounded in the days and weeks that followed.

We stand together today to honour the memory of those who paid the ultimate sacrifice on D-Day, and those many millions of men and women who lost their lives during the Second World War, the largest conflict in human history.

We affirm that it is our shared responsibility to ensure that the unimaginable horror of these years is never repeated.

Over the last 75 years, our nations have stood up for peace in Europe and globally, for democracy, tolerance and the rule of law. We re-commit today to those shared values because they support the stability and prosperity of our nations and our people. We will work together as allies and friends to defend these freedoms whenever they are threatened.

We commit to work constructively as friends and allies to find common ground where we have differences of opinion and to work together to resolve international tensions peacefully.

We will act resolutely, with courage and tenacity, to protect our people against threats to our values and challenges to peace and stability.

In this way, we salute the surviving veterans of D-Day and we honour the memories of those who came before us.

We will ensure that the sacrifices of the past are never in vain and never forgotten."

Given Trump's dislike of multilateralism it's surprising he would sign up to that sort of joint statement pledging to work together to resolve international tensions peacefully. It will be interesting to see what happens when someone tries to apply that statement to the tensions in Iran ...
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    I don't care about Trump falling asleep or the fact that he doesn't have a tailor who can fit a tuxedo for him. What I care about is that he is now declaring national emergencies on EVERYTHING. Tariffs, the border, Saudi arms sales, the list keeps getting longer and longer. They have issued a blanket declaration to nearly everyone not to cooperate with Congress under any circumstances for anything, and if a cabinet official DOES show up (like Mnuchin or Carson), they make a total mockery of the proceedings. Oh, and did everyone miss Mitch Mcconnell's wife possibly being the worst offender of them all??:

Grond0 wrote: »
    For what it's worth my view is that the state visit by Trump to the UK has gone amazingly smoothly. He has still said several controversial things, but given the microscope that's been on him I would have expected much worse - he has very clearly been on his best behavior.

One example of him not acting in the way I've become accustomed to is that he agreed the US would sign up to a joint statement by the 16 countries attending the commemoration of D-Day (for the 75th anniversary) in Portsmouth. The text is as follows:
    "Seventy five years ago, our countries were about to embark on a decisive battle.

On 6 June 1944, 160,000 Allied troops landed at Normandy, signalling the beginning of the end of the war in Europe. Casualty figures on all sides were immense, with hundreds of thousands of soldiers, sailors, aviators and civilians killed or wounded in the days and weeks that followed.

We stand together today to honour the memory of those who paid the ultimate sacrifice on D-Day, and those many millions of men and women who lost their lives during the Second World War, the largest conflict in human history.

We affirm that it is our shared responsibility to ensure that the unimaginable horror of these years is never repeated.

Over the last 75 years, our nations have stood up for peace in Europe and globally, for democracy, tolerance and the rule of law. We re-commit today to those shared values because they support the stability and prosperity of our nations and our people. We will work together as allies and friends to defend these freedoms whenever they are threatened.

We commit to work constructively as friends and allies to find common ground where we have differences of opinion and to work together to resolve international tensions peacefully.

We will act resolutely, with courage and tenacity, to protect our people against threats to our values and challenges to peace and stability.

In this way, we salute the surviving veterans of D-Day and we honour the memories of those who came before us.

We will ensure that the sacrifices of the past are never in vain and never forgotten."

Given Trump's dislike of multilateralism it's surprising he would sign up to that sort of joint statement pledging to work together to resolve international tensions peacefully. It will be interesting to see what happens when someone tries to apply that statement to the tensions in Iran ...

He said he’d sign on the G8 too until he got on a plane and threw a tantrum.
    Ammar wrote: »

Agree that China has been cheating the system, but as I said before: good for them. It's no surprise that they are one of the few developing countries which has made last strides. The "system" is heavily stacked in favor of industrialized nations.

What I don't believe is that Trump's action will hurt China more than they will hurt the US.

China has been on an upward tilt on their economy. Good for them. Trump's whinging is something about 'that's not fair' and 'stolen jerbs'. Jobs have been lost to automation. China is rough on its workers and can produce goods that you and I use all the time cheaply. Great for us, maybe not so great for the Chinese worker. Have they stolen intellectual property? Yes, so have we (mainly from the UK back in the day). It's something to address sure. Currency manipulation? Sure could be or not I don't know. But basically it all seems to be based on jealousy and conspiratorial thinking. He's petty and jealousy fits him well.

James 3:14
    "But if you have bitter jealousy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast and be false to the truth"

China has been on an upward tilt on their economy. Good for them. Trump's whinging is something about 'that's not fair' and 'stolen jerbs'. Jobs have been lost to automation. China is rough on its workers and can produce goods that you and I use all the time cheaply. Great for us, maybe not so great for the Chinese worker. Have they stolen intellectual property? Yes, so have we (mainly from the UK back in the day). It's something to address sure. Currency manipulation? Sure could be or not I don't know. But basically it all seems to be based on jealousy and conspiratorial thinking. He's petty and jealousy fits him well.

"But if you have bitter jealousy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast and be false to the truth"

Yeah the Chinese are great!

What about bullying their neighbors in the South China Sea (Phillipines, Vietnam, Indonesia, Malaysia)? I don't think they're highly regarded by Cambodia, Nepal or India either...
    edited June 2019

Yeah the Chinese are great!

What about bullying their neighbors in the South China Sea (Phillipines, Vietnam, Indonesia, Malaysia)? I don't think they're highly regarded by Cambodia, Nepal or India either...

I'm sure Mexico, Venezuela, and tons of central and south American countries along with middle eastern countries such as Iran, Yemen, Syria could have a word about US bullying. What's your point? You don't think we got to where we are without a little bullying? How about US companies bullying US workers? Federal minimum wage is $7.25, that's not going to afford anything. Unions? Paid leave? Haha yeah the US worker is being screwed by US companies, lets take care of that before we worry about China's policies in the eastern asia.

n7wTouo.png
    But the price of a Big Mac in Denmark is $4.60 USD. Oh wait, that’s even cheaper than the US.

Is your point bullying is bad? Yes it is, no argument.
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,177
    There is one small difference though in my opinion. You have slightly more of a responsibility to criticise your own country, and hold up its misdeeds, because you usually have slightly more power to act to change it. This may seem unbalanced if you believe the citizens of some other countries are not being educated to hold their own country to a similarly high standard of course...
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    As Congress gears up to investigate technology giants and social media companies, the subjects of their investigation are bracing for the impact. Amazon, Apple, Facebook, and Google spent a combined $55 million in lobbying last year, and the Center for Responsive Politics reported that they're spending even more this year--as if we need another reminder that the powerful corporations of the world are actively trying to manipulate the political process through sheer force of money.

You know, the number of people at Facebook who make the decision to burn money on lobbyists are probably no more numerous than the number of posters on this thread. What if folks like us had $10 million to use to purchase political power?
    semiticgod wrote: »
    As Congress gears up to investigate technology giants and social media companies, the subjects of their investigation are bracing for the impact. Amazon, Apple, Facebook, and Google spent a combined $55 million in lobbying last year, and the Center for Responsive Politics reported that they're spending even more this year--as if we need another reminder that the powerful corporations of the world are actively trying to manipulate the political process through sheer force of money.

You know, the number of people at Facebook who make the decision to burn money on lobbyists are probably no more numerous than the number of posters on this thread. What if folks like us had $10 million to use to purchase political power?

We'd probably just use it to hire some good developers to create Baldur's Gate 3...
    @Balrog99 Personally, I'd probably sink a large chunk of it into children's hospitals and research.
    @Balrog99 Personally, I'd probably sink a large chunk of it into children's hospitals and research.

Oh yeah, and that... o:)