Skip to content

The Politics Thread

Comments

• Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    jjstraka34 wrote: »
    As someone mentioned on Twitter, it's more likely Republicans would ban garlic in response to that shooting than take any other action.

Nah, either armed security guards at every festival or nobody allowed to party who isn't packin' heat! (Don't know it that would include 6 year old's or not)
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    As someone mentioned on Twitter, it's more likely Republicans would ban garlic in response to that shooting than take any other action.

Nah, either armed security guards at every festival or nobody allowed to party who isn't packin' heat! (Don't know it that would include 6 year old's or not)

I know this is sarcastic but allegedly the shooter was allegedly taken down in less than a minute by armed guards at the festival.

Hopefully this dispels the myth of "you stop bad guys with guys with good guys with guns."
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    deltago wrote: »

I know this is sarcastic but allegedly the shooter was allegedly taken down in less than a minute by armed guards at the festival.

Hopefully this dispels the myth of "you stop bad guys with guys with good guys with guns."

There is no reaction time that can prevent someone with these kind of death machines from taking lives. They need less than 10 seconds. Auto and semi-automatic rifles have one purpose, which is to kill human beings as quickly as possible. And we make it harder for a 19-year old (like this one was) to get a Budweiser than one of these weapons. That is the mark of a society that has gone off the deep end.
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176

There is no reaction time that can prevent someone with these kind of death machines from taking lives. They need less than 10 seconds. Auto and semi-automatic rifles have one purpose, which is to kill human beings as quickly as possible. And we make it harder for a 19-year old (like this one was) to get a Budweiser than one of these weapons. That is the mark of a society that has gone off the deep end.

And the government can prevent someone from owning this """"death machines""""? I don't think so. He can is make someone who wanna commit an massacre to support the black market and put people who commited crimes without an victim in jail.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I predicted the previous mass shooting would not result in any policies that could have prevented the next ones. I forget how many mass shootings it has been since then.

I'm not sure how long we're going to wait for the problem to fix itself before the federal government actually does something about it.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963

It's so easy to just pull the trigger.

If it's a knife you at least have to be kinda strong or precise and it's extremely unlikely you can get in to the hundreds of victims at once as that guy in Vegas was able to do.

There's other ways but just the ease of use and the availability and lack of accountability is appalling.

I guess bombs, cars, poisons, or planes can all do almost as significant damage but there's some logistical issue or technical knowledge required. There's a reason mass killers use guns and not those methods.
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,573

And the government can prevent someone from owning this """"death machines""""? I don't think so. He can is make someone who wanna commit an massacre to support the black market and put people who commited crimes without an victim in jail.

Gun control exists in a bunch of other high-income countries across the world (examples: Europe, Australia, Canada). They have about one half to one quarter of the homicide rate of the US.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Even just having mental health background checks could save countless lives that would be lost to suicide. Women attempt suicide more often than men, but men more often die from it because they tend to use deadlier methods like guns. Many more people would survive suicide if they didn't have ready access to a gun.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited July 2019
    The GoP is calling for more tax cuts for the rich at the same time the Trump administration is trying to starve 3 million Americans by taking away their food stamps at the same time the deficit is exploding due to the last GoP tax cut for the rich.

Ted Cruz is demanding Trump sidestep Congress and give the ultra rich more money and reduce their share of the budget in effect increasing your taxes.

How many mass shootings occurred in USA between 1850 to 1932(creation of NFA)?
    DinoDin wrote: »

Gun control exists in a bunch of other high-income countries across the world (examples: Europe, Australia, Canada). They have about one half to one quarter of the homicide rate of the US.

Europe is not an country. There are countless of countries in Europe, each one with his own language, culture, tradition, laws, etc. That said, Switzerland has an high gun ownership and is one of the safest places in Europe. That said, here is the top 10 most armed countries in this planet https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estimated_number_of_civilian_guns_per_capita_by_country

Wa9Fvsh.png

Do you really wanna compare Uruguay and Falklands with Mexico and Brazil???

As for Australia, the criminality raised after the gun control.
    semiticgod wrote: »
    Even just having mental health background checks could save countless lives that would be lost to suicide. Women attempt suicide more often than men, but men more often die from it because they tend to use deadlier methods like guns. Many more people would survive suicide if they didn't have ready access to a gun.

I strongly disagree. That the state should create bureaucracy to protect people from himself.
    I don't know how many times I need to say this in this thread, but a 19 year old like this wouldn't know how to access black market for a machine gun he is planning to use once. If anything, he'll stumble into an undercover police officer first.

He travels from an country where firearms are legal, disassemble and re assemble on his own country.
    The GoP is calling for more tax cuts for the rich at the same time the Trump administration is trying to starve 3 million Americans by taking away their food stamps at the same time the deficit is exploding due to the last GoP tax cut for the rich.

They won't starve, they'll just turn to crime and get taken care of 24/7 in our wonderful prison system. Yes, I'm agreeing with you. I think I spent my tax-cut on a slice of buttered toast last year...
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Even just having mental health background checks could save countless lives that would be lost to suicide.

Many people have a similar idea but this would actually violate HIPAA as it currently exists.
    edited July 2019
    Well, since the debate is in Detroit I figured I should watch. Thought I'd mention that our new Democratic Governor (Governess?), Gretchen Whitmer, has so far been underwhelming. Her idea for "Fixing the damned roads" involved a $0.45/gallon tax on our gasoline. Needless to say that went over like a lead balloon. Even my Democrat friends ridiculed her (and naturally it went nowhere). A backdoor carbon-tax overwhelmingly rejected. What a surprise...
    Even just having mental health background checks could save countless lives that would be lost to suicide.

Many people have a similar idea but this would actually violate HIPAA as it currently exists.

That's a problem. Living in fantasy-land is rarely a good idea. Dangerous people can't be 'wished' into being not dangerous.
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,573
    edited July 2019

Europe is not an country. There are countless of countries in Europe, each one with his own language, culture, tradition, laws, etc. That said, Switzerland has an high gun ownership and is one of the safest places in Europe. That said, here is the top 10 most armed countries in this planet

I know Europe is not a country. But its large countries generally have stricter gun control and signficantly fewer homicides per capita.

On your Switzerland point, a sample size of one is an empirically weaker argument that my sample size of several.

I didn't compare Uruguay and Falklands with Mexico and Brazil, nor so much as mention them. In fact, I *specifically* compared countries of equivalent income levels. Try and stick to arguments I've actually made when replying to me.
    @DinoDin

Are you European? If so you might be able to answer this question.

How much of the current political climate in Europe has been shaped by two World Wars being fought on that continent? I'm asking because if we'd suffered millions upon millions of needless casualties due to war in this country, we might be more like Europe ourselves. Also, what was the weapon ownership climate in Europe like before the World Wars? I could Google it but I'd rather hear from an actual European...
    Arrghhh, there are too many people in this debate! Let these people talk for God's sake. How can anybody clearly state their points in 15 seconds???
    edited July 2019
    Arrghhh, there are too many people in this debate! Let these people talk for God's sake. How can anybody clearly state their points in 15 seconds???

Only 3 people belong on that stage, and only 2 will belong on the next one. Until this thing is narrowed down to Biden, Sanders, Warren, Harris and Buttigieg, it's going to be a pointless circus where 75% of the people on stage engaging in some kind of fantasy-land hypothetical that any of them can do better than a 4th or 5th place finish in Iowa or New Hampshire, and even THAT is being incredibly generous. The bottle of grape Powerade I just drank has a better chance of winning the Democratic nomination than John Delaney. Come at me all you want for "excluding" voices, but I'm interested in hearing people who actually have a snowball's chance in hell of winning a primary or caucus. There is absolutely no point in hearing what most of these people have to say. They have zero chance of winning and it's wasting valuable time that could be spent on the people who DO have a chance explaining their positions. The fact is, most of these people won't even MAKE IT to Iowa because they won't have any goddamn money to run there. They are just trying to get on TV. I have absolutely no patience for vanity campaigns.
    edited July 2019

Only 3 people belong on that stage, and only 2 will belong on the next one. Until this thing is narrowed down to Biden, Sanders, Warren, Harris and Buttigieg, it's going to be a pointless circus where 75% of the people on stage engaging in some kind of fantasy-land hypothetical that any of them can do better than a 4th or 5th place finish in Iowa or New Hampshire, and even THAT is being incredibly generous. The bottle of grape Powerade I just drank has a better chance of winning the Democratic nomination than John Delaney.

Agreed, and I kind of like Delaney and Ryan. They have a snowball's chance in Hell of winning, though. Bernie's done well so far, I think. He's a really good speaker and has charisma. How did he get beat out by Hillary? Late start last time probably cost him the presidency...

Edit: Klobuchar has some nice Midwestern charm. I would've guessed her as Michigan, Wisconsin or Minnesota just from listening to her talk. I'll bet she calls soft drinks 'pop' not 'soda'...
    edited July 2019

Only 3 people belong on that stage, and only 2 will belong on the next one. Until this thing is narrowed down to Biden, Sanders, Warren, Harris and Buttigieg, it's going to be a pointless circus where 75% of the people on stage engaging in some kind of fantasy-land hypothetical that any of them can do better than a 4th or 5th place finish in Iowa or New Hampshire, and even THAT is being incredibly generous. The bottle of grape Powerade I just drank has a better chance of winning the Democratic nomination than John Delaney.

Agreed, and I kind of like Delaney and Ryan. They have a snowball's chance in Hell of winning, though. Bernie's done well so far, I think. He's a really good speaker and has charisma. How did he get beat out by Hillary? Late start last time probably cost him the presidency...

Edit: Klobuchar has some nice Midwestern charm. I would've guessed her as Michigan, Wisconsin or Minnesota just from listening to her talk.

Yes, his late start DID cost him against Hillary. And now instead of being in a 1 on 1 match-up, he is in a 1 on 5 match-up with Warren getting some of his support. Also, CNN sucks, and not because they're too "liberal", but just because of general suckage in every way imaginable:

Only 3 people belong on that stage, and only 2 will belong on the next one. Until this thing is narrowed down to Biden, Sanders, Warren, Harris and Buttigieg, it's going to be a pointless circus where 75% of the people on stage engaging in some kind of fantasy-land hypothetical that any of them can do better than a 4th or 5th place finish in Iowa or New Hampshire, and even THAT is being incredibly generous. The bottle of grape Powerade I just drank has a better chance of winning the Democratic nomination than John Delaney. Come at me all you want for "excluding" voices, but I'm interested in hearing people who actually have a snowball's chance in hell of winning a primary or caucus. There is absolutely no point in hearing what most of these people have to say. They have zero chance of winning and it's wasting valuable time that could be spent on the people who DO have a chance explaining their positions. The fact is, most of these people won't even MAKE IT to Iowa because they won't have any goddamn money to run there. They are just trying to get on TV. I have absolutely no patience for vanity campaigns.

After your edit I'd give you a 'like' and an 'agree' if I could!

Europe is not an country. There are countless of countries in Europe, each one with his own language, culture, tradition, laws, etc. That said, Switzerland has an high gun ownership and is one of the safest places in Europe. That said, here is the top 10 most armed countries in this planet

I know Europe is not a country. But its large countries generally have stricter gun control and signficantly fewer homicides per capita.

On your Switzerland point, a sample size of one is an empirically weaker argument that my sample size of several.

I didn't compare Uruguay and Falklands with Mexico and Brazil, nor so much as mention them. In fact, I *specifically* compared countries of equivalent income levels. Try and stick to arguments I've actually made when replying to me.

But demographically and culturally they are different. But since you wanna treat Europe as an homogeneous group, compare Switzerland with United Kingdom criminality. On on US, compare Alaska(most armed state) with California(most strict gun law state).
    Who the Hell is Marianne Williamson? She reminds me of Jan Hooks from SNL back in the early 90's. Not somebody I'd take seriously...
    edited July 2019
    Who the Hell is Marianne Williamson? She reminds me of Jan Hooks from SNL back in the early 90's. Not somebody I'd take seriously...

As far as I can tell she is running to provide SNL with skit material. She's very well-meaning but her political philosophy seems to boil down to "we need to beat Trump with alot of love". This debate can die in a fire. The format is useless. It's just a game-show, right down to how the moderators are framing every damn question as if it was emailed in by the RNC, and of course, Elizabeth Warren is the one who recognizes that dynamic, because she was the only one smart enough not to walk in FOX's den of jackals.

But demographically and culturally they are different. But since you wanna treat Europe as an homogeneous group, compare Switzerland with United Kingdom criminality. On on US, compare Alaska(most armed state) with California(most strict gun law state).

Well, truth be told, there aren't a lot of people in Alaska. I think they have guns to protect themselves from bears, not to shoot up schools. I think you'll find the suicide rate is rather high in Alaska though. The winters there are rough with near 23 hours of darkness...

Switzerland, on the other hand, is one of the richest countries in the world. It's probably more fair to compare them to Kuwait, the UAE or Qatar rather than the UK.
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    edited July 2019
    As far as I can tell she is running to provide SNL with skit material. She's very well-meaning but her political philosophy seems to boil down to "we need to beat Trump with alot of love". This debate can die in a fire. The format is useless. It's just a game-show, right down to how the moderators are framing every damn question as if it was emailed in by the RNC, and of course, Elizabeth Warren is the one who recognizes that dynamic, because she was the only smart enough not to walk in FOX's den of jackals.

I love her. She's cringey AF, but kind of awesome at the same time.

Also, would still be a better president than Trump.

As far as I can tell she is running to provide SNL with skit material. She's very well-meaning but her political philosophy seems to boil down to "we need to beat Trump with alot of love". This debate can die in a fire. The format is useless. It's just a game-show, right down to how the moderators are framing every damn question as if it was emailed in by the RNC, and of course, Elizabeth Warren is the one who recognizes that dynamic, because she was the only smart enough not to walk in FOX's den of jackals.

SNL will have a field-day with Hickenlooper too. He looks like a complete jackass so far. Who's supporting him? Some Twitter following showering him with likes?

I love her. She's cringey AF, but kind of awesome at the same time.

Also, would still be a better president than Trump.

Not sure you could get her out of her 'herb' garden long enough to do anything...