Skip to content

The Politics Thread

Comments

• deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    deltago wrote: »
    jjstraka34 wrote: »
    Meanwhile, within the last 50 minutes, the President just suggested we all go back to work next week, which would basically cause a mini-Holocaust. The Republican Party is now basically advocating for a culling of 1-2 million people.

Are you willing to back up this claim? Let's say a "go back to business as usual" policy begins next week--what time frame do you think it will take to reach that 1 million case mark? Just over a full month, by the end of April? Perhaps the end of May?

Suggest a time frame, let's agree to the terms, then...

if you are correct I will delete my profile from the board...

but if you are not correct then you will delete your profile from the board.

Neither of us will actually be harmed or lose anything real with this wager.

Of course, it that policy does not go into effect then we will never know.

If Congress is willing to pass some sloppy, hastily-thrown-together project like a college student the night before a research project is due, then Democrats should not be trying to sneak all sorts of non-virus-related amendments onto it. They are the ones at fault for nothing being passed yet.

doesn't the one million mark depend on govern actions as well?

And if 1 million is too extreme for you, what is the number of deaths is suitable to get the economy back up and running? How many lives are worth a 1% per increase in the DOW or NASDAQ?

I am also guessing America will have it easy when choosing which lives to save when it comes to limited supplies like ventilators. Instead of having an age cut off like Italy had to use, they'll just do a finance one. Supply and Demand. Sorry, you're lack of insurance doesn't cover the $15,000 daily rental fee for the equipment so you don't get one. Perfectly reasonable... and hey, the more people catch this thing, the more companies profit off of it.

That's a bit unfair. Some companies may make a profit off this, but I guarantee you far more will be taking it on the chin! I guess we can just stay locked in our houses until we're all working for Amazon, delivering to each other.

Now I'm wondering, would that be sustainable? I guess somebody would have to make the products so probably not...

Oh don't worry. The GOP has it covered when it comes to being unfair. They'll give Trump approved companies compensation that will be hidden from tax payers for six whole months after receiving the money so they won't have to suffer. Totally fair and unbiased and I don't know why the Democratic party isn't backing this immediately like they're suppose to.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,318
    I do have to say that some of the crap they're spewing on CNN is getting pretty boring. Yes, they may have to re-use masks but the masks are for protecting patients, not the workers. You're not going to get infected by your own mask, even if you wear it all day. They're your own germs!

Edit: Also, wearing a mask without goggles (or at least glasses with side-shields) is close to useless.

One problem with reusing masks is it increases the chance of viruses being transferred from the exterior (not the interior) of the mask during handling. Some hospitals are now experimenting with decontamination to allow a safer form of reuse, e.g. see this article. That does break the certification of the mask which is likely to cause some legal problems once things get back to normal - but first the emergency needs to be tackled.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    You'd definitely reach one million IF WE WERE TESTING. That's a variable that is not acceptable though since there aren't tests enough to go around only enough for Congress and the NBA apparently. And Melania Trump.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Since governors won't cancel lockdowns, then Trump's words are meaningless...so why are you paying attention to them?

I don't juggle numbers trying to balance lives versus stock index numbers, since I know how investors think--they change their minds more often than the wind changes direction...and at least there is logic as to why the wind changes.

Like I said back during impeachment, Congress could pass a bill right now if it *wanted* to. All that has to happen is for the non-virus related amendments and riders to be dropped.

Michael Cohen filed a motion to be released from prison; his request was denied.

Shinzo Abe postponed the Olympics until next year; I don't think anyone involved has a problem with his decision at this time.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Grond0 wrote: »
    I do have to say that some of the crap they're spewing on CNN is getting pretty boring. Yes, they may have to re-use masks but the masks are for protecting patients, not the workers. You're not going to get infected by your own mask, even if you wear it all day. They're your own germs!

Edit: Also, wearing a mask without goggles (or at least glasses with side-shields) is close to useless.

One problem with reusing masks is it increases the chance of viruses being transferred from the exterior (not the interior) of the mask during handling. Some hospitals are now experimenting with decontamination to allow a safer form of reuse, e.g. see this article. That does break the certification of the mask which is likely to cause some legal problems once things get back to normal - but first the emergency needs to be tackled.

I wouldn't take mine off except to eat or drink if I had to reuse it. We're so used to a throw-away economy that people don't even consider re-use or other options. Just look at the toilet-paper craziness! If I ran out of TP I could think of tons of ways to deal with it that don't involve robbing anybody or waiting in a line at 4 in the morning...
    I agree with @Mathsorcerer. The government could have easily gotten money to those who needed it without the fucking clown show if they really wanted too...
    Every time I listen to a Trump speech I somehow feel dumber afterwards. Not only is it time I'll never get back, I think it's actively killing braincells that I'd rather be killing with this...

ik9bvt75h5u7.jpg
    I agree with Mathsorcerer. The government could have easily gotten money to those who needed it without the fucking clown show if they really wanted too...

But neither branch of government did? Yet democrats are the only ones being blamed. Why?
    I agree with Mathsorcerer. The government could have easily gotten money to those who needed it without the fucking clown show if they really wanted too...

But neither branch of government did? Yet democrats are the only ones being blamed. Why?

Because the Republicans are better at manipulating the uneducated.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    You'd definitely reach one million IF WE WERE TESTING. That's a variable that is not acceptable though since there aren't tests enough to go around only enough for Congress and the NBA apparently. And Melania Trump.

This can't be stressed enough. The numbers today especially indicate both a huge backlog of pending tests AND the fact that some states are running out.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    The only thing testing will do is increase the number of cases--it doesn't help anyone with anything other that to update the diagnosis code on their medical chart.

Have you seen those swabs they use? Shove that thing into my nasal cavity all the way back into the sinus cavity? No. Uh-uh. I will physically resist--you would to put me into unconsciousness first. This is also why I won't wear contacts--I will never willingly touch my eyeballs. Not happening.
    Our Tarrytown, NY branch has been completely shut down. They're mainly a research facility and research is no longer 'essential'. Might be more than a few pHD's delivering your groceries pretty soon...

This can't be stressed enough. The numbers today especially indicate both a huge backlog of pending tests AND the fact that some states are running out.

Granted, the million mark was you saying ‘that’s how much the government is willing to cull’ as in death, not get infected. So testing is beside his point.

I also think some governors (Florida) will follow the lead of the federal government. This alone will show a significant uptick in cases, and in Florida’s case, due to the age of its population, an increase in deaths.

If the federal government does lessen the restrictions in ‘getting back to work’ it will be interesting to see the number of cases of each individual state increase percentage as they either stick to quarantine measures or get back to work.

It’ll be extremely hard to pass the blame if the states that don’t follow quarantine procedures skyrocket while those that do keep their curve flattened.
    It seriously amazes me how many intelligent people we have in this forum. It strikes me as incredible that our governments and companies are run by a bunch of extroverted dipshits while a relatively few people with critical thinking skills and no great wealth to worry about could easily come up with better ways if given the chance.
    edited March 2020

Granted, the million mark was you saying ‘that’s how much the government is willing to cull’ as in death, not get infected. So testing is beside his point.

I also think some governors (Florida) will follow the lead of the federal government. This alone will show a significant uptick in cases, and in Florida’s case, due to the age of its population, an increase in deaths.

If the federal government does lessen the restrictions in ‘getting back to work’ it will be interesting to see the number of cases of each individual state increase percentage as they either stick to quarantine measures or get back to work.

It’ll be extremely hard to pass the blame if the states that don’t follow quarantine procedures skyrocket while those that do keep their curve flattened.

So the idiot President's words aren't meaningless. Hmmm. And he's aiding and abetting the crisis in NY by failing to use the defense production act.

And don't worry he'll pass the blame and the fans will agree "nobody knew pandemics wouldn't respect an arbitrary calendar date!"
    It seriously amazes me how many intelligent people we have in this forum. It strikes me as incredible that our governments and companies are run by a bunch of extroverted dipshits while a relatively few people with critical thinking skills and no great wealth to worry about could easily come up with better ways if given the chance.

As far as I can tell all the intelligent people are in this forum. I haven't seen one in public in the last 7 days.

Look, if I was king of the world, I'd shut everything down, everywhere for a minimum of a month, with a likely extension on the way. I would be doing what Roosevelt did during WW2, and tell factories, you're making masks, respirators and ventilators til further notice. I would be sending out $2000 checks to every citizen once a month until this was over. And while I would NOT lock people up for doing so, I would have police doing patrols to get people back in their houses if they can't justify why they are outside (travel to work or grocery/pharmacy/doctor).

I am not king of the world. But the guy who thinks he is is now encouraging everyone to be back filling churches by Easter (2 weeks) in a great "American Resurrection". This is what the FOX News anchor called it. I guarantee this came after talking with mega-church pastors on a conference call. Now God is being invoked. Hold onto your asses.

Resurrection from what? Their X-Boxes???

As far as I can tell all the intelligent people are in this forum. I haven't seen one in public in the last 7 days.

Look, if I was king of the world, I'd shut everything down, everywhere for a minimum of a month, with a likely extension on the way. I would be doing what Roosevelt did during WW2, and tell factories, you're making masks, respirators and ventilators til further notice. I would be sending out $2000 checks to every citizen once a month until this was over. And while I would NOT lock people up for doing so, I would have police doing patrols to get people back in their houses if they can't justify why they are outside (travel to work or grocery/pharmacy/doctor).

I am not king of the world. But the guy who thinks he is is now encouraging everyone to be back filling churches by Easter (2 weeks) in a great "American Resurrection". This is what the FOX News anchor called it. I guarantee this came after talking with mega-church pastors on a conference call. Now God is being invoked. Hold onto your asses.

That shit is going to play well with exactly who it's supposed to play well with. People like your parents. That is not an accidental statement. That was coordinated.

That shit is going to play well with exactly who it's supposed to play well with. People like your parents. That is not an accidental statement. That was coordinated.

Yeah, their prayers will have been answered by people like you, me, @Mathsorcerer, truck drivers, healthcare workers and grocery clerks/stockers going to work despite the risk but God (and Trump) will get the glory. That's about right...
    edited March 2020

Yeah, their prayers will have been answered by people like you, me, @Mathsorcerer, truck drivers, healthcare workers and grocery clerks/stockers going to work despite the risk but God (and Trump) will get the glory. That's about right...

I'm going home by Friday at the latest. Have all the instructions and signed the work at home disclosure from my manager. Just waiting for the equipment to arrive in the mail. Walked to work. Google Maps is eerily accurate. Said it would take an hour on foot, took EXACTLY an hour.
  • XorinaXorina Member Posts: 138
    edited March 2020
    Just wanted to say that we in old Blighty are with you in USA in this fight, or as they say in Alabama, "All y'all". There's never been anything like this in England, and it's like something out of a film.

Been following it on Whitehouse & Downing Street pressers and international Newswires, and I see the east & west coast are having a tough time of it, with -I understand from FaultLines Radio Show- NYC having an 80% infection rate.

Am pleased to see so many of your citizens stepping up though. In parts of my hometown in NW England we've seen some Covidiocy, and in London the silliness is worse.
    edited March 2020
    Xorina wrote: »
    Just wanted to say that we in old Blighty are with you in USA in this fight, or as they say in Alabama, "All y'all". There's never been anything like this in England, and it's like something out of a film.

Been following it on Whitehouse & Downing Street pressers and international Newswires, and I see the east & west coast are having a tough time of it, with -I understand from FaultLines Radio Show- NYC having an 80% infection rate.

Am pleased to see so many of your citizens stepping up though. In parts of my hometown in NW England we've seen some Covidiocy, and in London the silliness is worse.

Hang in there. Things'll get better eventually. We still love you Limey's here in the States! Don't quite get the whole Queen thing though... ;)
    Even CNN seems to have doubts about the House proposal. What a shock that trying to slip in a covert Green New Deal might not be the best way to get a relief bill passed...

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/24/politics/congress-vote-coronavirus-economic-stimulus/index.html
    edited March 2020
    Even CNN seems to have doubts about the House proposal. What a shock that trying to slip in a covert Green New Deal might not be the best way to get a relief bill passed...

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/24/politics/congress-vote-coronavirus-economic-stimulus/index.html

Republicans tried to sneak a social security cuts and using the bill to restrict abortions in their bill on top of less benefits and a 500 billion slush fund.

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/03/23/trap-progressives-sound-alarm-gop-attempts-sneak-attack-social-security-coronavirus

Green new deal is a good thing comparatively.

Republicans tried to sneak a social security cuts and using the bill to restrict abortions in their bill on top of less benefits and a 500 billion slush fund.

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/03/23/trap-progressives-sound-alarm-gop-attempts-sneak-attack-social-security-coronavirus

No they're both bullshit that they're trying to tack on because politics trumps reality in their minds. Fuck both parties! Neither truly gives a shit about real people. The Republicans will fuck us over to save the rich, the Democrats will fuck us over to save the planet. Democrats claim the high ground but there are plenty of rich people in their ranks that think us po' folk are wasting 'their' resources. Fuck them too!

No they're both bullshit that they're trying to tack on because politics trumps reality in their minds. Fuck both parties! Neither truly gives a shit about real people. The Republicans will fuck us over to save the rich, the Democrats will fuck us over to save the planet. Democrats claim the high ground but there are plenty of rich people in their ranks that think us po' folk are wasting 'their' resources. Fuck them too!

Edit: I'm not kidding. Read between the lines. The rich control both parties!
    You really want to save the planet, ban air travel altogether. You'll never hear the fucking Democrats call for that. You know why? Their rich benefactors can afford to pay more for their 'right' to fly. They can also afford to pay more for their fucking heat and fucking AC. Yeah, sorry I'm a little pissed off by the righteousness of the left in this forum. Who pays more for the fucking 'Green New Deal', the rich, or us? If the rich pay 10x what I pay for the same flight, I'll say it's fair...
    edited March 2020
    Trump re-election not guaranteed.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cm4io75gkDM
    You really want to save the planet, ban air travel altogether. You'll never hear the fucking Democrats call for that. You know why? Their rich benefactors can afford to pay more for their 'right' to fly. They can also afford to pay more for their fucking heat and fucking AC. Yeah, sorry I'm a little pissed off by the righteousness of the left in this forum. Who pays more for the fucking 'Green New Deal', the rich, or us? If the rich pay 10x what I pay for the same flight, I'll say it's fair...

Just 100 companies responsible for 71% of global emissions, study says
    https://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2017/jul/10/100-fossil-fuel-companies-investors-responsible-71-global-emissions-cdp-study-climate-change

Virtue signaling by saying I won't fly or recycling every other box are great but not the answer to the climate crisis.

We need regulation to reign in polluters. What you or I do is mostly irrelevant compared to that. Skipping a flight or whatever won't cut it.

The GND is not what it's been portrayed as by the right and the "right left" (centrist democrats). It's an opportunity for jobs and a nationwide push towards renewables. So you know the next crisis won't be the planet being on fire or whatever.
    Trump re-election not guaranteed.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cm4io75gkDM

Just 100 companies responsible for 71% of global emissions, study says
    https://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2017/jul/10/100-fossil-fuel-companies-investors-responsible-71-global-emissions-cdp-study-climate-change

Virtue signaling by saying I won't fly or recycling every other box are great but not the answer to the climate crisis.

We need regulation to reign in polluters. What you or I do is mostly irrelevant compared to that. Skipping a flight or whatever won't cut it.

The GND is not what it's been portrayed as by the right and the "right left" (centrist democrats). It's an opportunity for jobs and a nationwide push towards renewables. So you know the next crisis won't be the planet being on fire or whatever.

Yeah, keep thinking that. The answer to saving to planet is fucking the middle class. Sorry but it's true. The only person who gets it is Bernie and he's been thrown under the bus. The only reason I respect Bernie is he hasn't changed his tune for over 40 years. He was progressive when it was a dirty word and he never wavered. The Democrats had their chance for real change and they've pissed it away as far as I'm concerned. Take your chances with a senile old man. I honestly hope he beats Trump but I won't be voting for him...
    No animus to you @smeagolheart, I know you were rooting for Bernie too...