Skip to content

The Politics Thread

Comments

• QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    edited April 2020
    DinoDin wrote: »
    deltago wrote: »
    IMO, if Clinton was president, the U.S. would be at the same level where Canada is now. It's starting to flatten out, IMO, or you can see here:
    4iate468g0m0.png
    https://www.ft.com/coronavirus-latest

This is a complete aside from your main points here, with which I agree, but man that chart is all kinds of problematic to me. It looks very pretty, but it's incredibly misleading. It's comparing countries of radically different population sizes, so at a glance it gives the illusion that the US has done worse than Italy for example. I know that's not a point you have made, just citing an example here. It really should have trusted the reader more and been cases per population.

Secondly, the y-axis is all kinds of screwed up, which gives the illusion of a much greater flattening of the US cases than is actually happening. I mean that space where the US cases numbers seems to be leveling off is actually larger than the entire space on the chart below it. (20k-50k)

I was going to mention it when I noticed it earlier, but it's a log graph, not "all kinds of screwed up". It's something you see when you have exponential growth, like bacterial reproduction for one example.

I would like to see a chart of infections per 1,000 capita, over time, for different countries though.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Quickblade wrote: »
    IMO, if Clinton was president, the U.S. would be at the same level where Canada is now. It's starting to flatten out, IMO, or you can see here:
    4iate468g0m0.png

This is a complete aside from your main points here, with which I agree, but man that chart is all kinds of problematic to me. It looks very pretty, but it's incredibly misleading. It's comparing countries of radically different population sizes, so at a glance it gives the illusion that the US has done worse than Italy for example. I know that's not a point you have made, just citing an example here. It really should have trusted the reader more and been cases per population.

Secondly, the y-axis is all kinds of screwed up, which gives the illusion of a much greater flattening of the US cases than is actually happening. I mean that space where the US cases numbers seems to be leveling off is actually larger than the entire space on the chart below it. (20k-50k)

I would like to see a chart of infections per 1,000 capita, over time, for different countries though.

I love that idea! A derivative curve of the change in number of infections per 1000 people over time would be nice too. Overlay a curve of number of tests performed and you'd have some really good data...
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    4iate468g0m0.png

The graph is more to show trajectory than actual “how well each country has done” and my argument with it is that while the rest of the world is finally starting to level out or decline, the US continues to climb. Also, the further alone the last dot, the longer the country has been dealing with the virus. That’s what I get from it. I should also mention that I missed the UK and India on an upwardly trajectory in my last post as well.

But I made the population argument in the other thread as well. The US will have more cases than places like Spain or Sweden due to its population size, but population density would also have an impact IMO.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    Quickblade wrote: »
    4iate468g0m0.png

I love that idea! A derivative curve of the change in number of infections per 1000 people over time would be nice too. Overlay a curve of number of tests performed and you'd have some really good data...

I think while that type of graph would be interesting it would still need a major grain of salt.

Population density is quite different in different countries and of course this would affect the rate of infection. So it wouldn't really be an apples to apples comparison (another major variable is availability of testing).
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited April 2020
    Even when they pivoted to acknowledging a serious problem, almost NONE of the things Trump has been promising at this daily press conferences have come to pass. Again, entirely predictable:

https://www.npr.org/2020/04/13/832797592/a-month-after-emergency-declaration-trumps-promises-largely-unfulfilled

How does one even begin to try to summarize the mountains of bullshit we've been wading through on this?? We aren't just fighting the virus, we are fighting a ruling party and it's leader who has deconstructed the Administrative state on purpose and is trying to mask it by just lying their ass off about everything.

I'm reminded of a podcast I listened to about Casey Anthony, the woman who in the early-2000s most people assume killed her young daughter, but was acquitted at trial. One of the most striking incidents is when she is initially questioned by police. She had been telling family members for a year she worked at Universal Studios. She never held a job there. But the cops insisted she take them to her work. So she does so. She goes with the cops to Universal Studios. The security has no record of her being an employee, but they let them in because law enforcement are with her. She leads the cops to an office area, waving and saying hi to people she doesn't even know and has never seen. Until, at long last, she reached a dead-end in the hallway of the building. She has literally hit a wall in her bullshit story. So she turns to the cops and finally says "yeah, I don't really work here." And then simply proceeds to move on to her next lie as if the previous one never occurred. This is how sociopaths act. And quite often, it works. They get away with it.
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,581
    edited April 2020

The graph is more to show trajectory than actual “how well each country has done” and my argument with it is that while the rest of the world is finally starting to level out or decline, the US continues to climb. Also, the further alone the last dot, the longer the country has been dealing with the virus. That’s what I get from it. I should also mention that I missed the UK and India on an upwardly trajectory in my last post as well.

But I made the population argument in the other thread as well. The US will have more cases than places like Spain or Sweden due to its population size, but population density would also have an impact IMO.

If folks are curious, by the way, I'm calculating up some numbers across the Americas for other purposes. But as of the WHO's April 12 data (which is probably about April 10th data in the countries) the US and Canada comparison on deaths is striking.

COVID attributed deaths per 100,000 population (and totals):
    U.S.: 5.7 (18,516)
    Canada: 1.6 (600)
    Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders had a live stream this afternoon in which Bernie gave a full endorsement. And one thing to take away from it is that Bernie personally likes Joe Biden WAY more than he liked Hillary Clinton.
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,652
    edited April 2020
    You're citing an op-ed, by a man who is not a journalist (read his brief bio in the article, please). I wish people would learn how to read an actual newspaper before using anecdotes to like these to pillory a whole profession -- journalists. An op-ed article, written by a university professor is not evidence of what "journalists" think about anything.

Please take the time to be more careful before spreading misinformation.

He's a journalist, by the literal definition as well as the commonly understood usage of the term. Maybe you should dig a little deeper than the bio before casually calling things "misinformation". He is an employee of the WaPo subsidiary PostEverything and has been for years, not some random blogger. Note that they didn't file this under "opinion" or "guest opinion", but "perspective" a tag used for articles by their subsidiary. You can rightfully think of these as the official op-eds of WaPo, since these are people they actually hire to do these.

It's also crazy to think that op-eds
    don't generally reflect the political leanings of the organization publishing it. This claim is so patently false that all you need to do is look at their op ed section yourself. How many Fox News talking points do you see?

• WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,652
    edited April 2020
    JoenSo wrote: »
    Here I go, only chiming in when my native Sweden is mentioned. A lot of countries seem baffled by the Swedish approach (and there's a lot of debate about it here too). But I find it annoying to see headlines like "Life goes on as normal in Sweden" when nothing is normal and I haven't seen any family or friends in close to two months now.

First off, the Public Health Agency here in Sweden have been pretty clear that their strategy is not to go for herd immunity, since no one knows just when that immunity (if we do get it) will have a significant impact. Their perspective seems to be that the virus will be here for a long time, regardless of any lockdowns and that it's better to focus on making sure the healthcare system can handle it long-term.

That's why the country is not in total lockdown, but not really open either. WHO recently stated that there is a risk that countries will lift their lockdowns too early. The Swedish approach seems to be more to convince people that this is the new normal. We have restrictions in place, but mostly, we as citizens are expected to behave responsibly to prevent the spread.

Which might sound laughable, and the state epidemiologist have said that this approach only really works in countries where people are more prone to follow recommendations from governmental agencies. So far, it's working kiiind of well, and there's a weird mix here in Stockholm. Every kind of event has been cancelled, the subway is empty, very few people in the streets, closed restaurants, no planes in the sky etc. And then suddenly you come across an open restaurant where a whole bunch of people are sitting in the sun with their beers. And I wrote in another thread about how annoyed I was with elderly people totally ignoring social distancing recommendations.

It's because of things like this that the government have warned that they might put tougher restrictions in place soon. Until just a few days ago, they didn't really have the power to do that anyway. Now they have emergency powers to lock down places with short notice. What I do like with the Swedish government's approach is how much they're listening to the Public Health Agency and the National Board of Health and Welfare. They're also willing to change their approach as the situation develops or new data becomes available, which feels encouraging.

As for death rates: they are much higher than our neighbors, and there's a lot of discussions as to why. One theory is that, like in Italy, the virus has started spreading more in the elder care. Norway has a better elder care system in general, that is more tied in with the healthcare system. Meaning that elders who do get sick in Norway might have better and faster access to healthcare than here in Sweden. And it isn't even spreading in the elder care system in Norway yet (as far as I know).

Another theory is that focus on the healthcare system I mentioned. Only people who are actually in hospital get tested here now. They've recently started more wide-spread tests to get an understanding of how many people are sick without knowing it. But before we get those results, our statistics basically only show the situation in hospitals. This have been widely criticized of course, but the argument is that they're not testing less, just that they are focusing all their resources there. This is of course also one of the reasons Germany and South Korea have so low death rates: because they are testing that much more. Which in turn shows that this virus is even more widespread than the statistics indicate.

All that being said, it varies from day to day what I think of my country's approach to this crisis. Somehow, this approach manages to feel naive and sober at the same time. As the state epidemiologist said, all approaches right now are experimental and it will take years before we can tell which one to go for in future pandemics.

As an aside, Sweden is small in population (10 million) but quite large in landmass, about 1600 km long north to south. So logistics can still be quite the problem.

Thanks for the insider perspective. I don't think trusting the public to act responsibility is neccesarily bad, but I can definitely say it would never work in the U.S.
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    jjstraka34 wrote: »
    Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders had a live stream this afternoon in which Bernie gave a full endorsement. And one thing to take away from it is that Bernie personally likes Joe Biden WAY more than he liked Hillary Clinton.

Yeah. Hopefully this will start moving people towards supporting Biden. Apparently Biden confirmed support for a 15 dollar an hour minimum wage during the stream.
    edited April 2020
    You're citing an op-ed, by a man who is not a journalist (read his brief bio in the article, please). I wish people would learn how to read an actual newspaper before using anecdotes to like these to pillory a whole profession -- journalists. An op-ed article, written by a university professor is not evidence of what "journalists" think about anything.

Please take the time to be more careful before spreading misinformation.

He's a journalist, by the literal definition as well as the commonly understood usage of the term. Maybe you should dig a little deeper than the bio before casually calling things "misinformation". He is an employee of the WaPo subsidiary PostEverything and has been for years, not some random blogger. Note that they didn't file this under "opinion" or "guest opinion", but "perspective" a tag used for articles by their subsidiary. You can rightfully think of these as the official op-eds of WaPo, since these are people they actually hire to do these.

It's also crazy to think that op-eds
    don't generally reflect the political leanings of the organization publishing it. This claim is so patently false that all you need to do is look at their op ed section yourself. How many Fox News talking points do you see?

They don't. And yes the "perspectives" section is an editorial section, merely by another name. The Post publishes op-eds by Republicans, conservatives and libertarians all the time. All you're revealing is a failure to understand how to properly read a newspaper.

This is an editorial written by the #2 ranking Republican Senator and another Republican Senator: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/keep-the-chinese-government-away-from-5g-technology/2019/04/01/ba7a30ac-54b3-11e9-9136-f8e636f1f6df_story.html Are you saying that also reflects the Post's views?

Opinion-editorial are separate from the news division. Even Fox News does this with its programming. Having "hard news shows" and having opinion news shows. Again, you are revealing a failure to understand some elementary facts about how newspapers are written.

This is how the Washington Post introduced the very section you were quoting from: "The Washington Post has debuted PostEverything, a digital daily magazine for voices from around the world. In PostEverything, outsiders will entertain and inform readers with fresh takes, personal essays, news analyses, and other innovative ways to tell the stories everyone is talking about—and the ones they haven’t yet heard."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/pr/wp/2014/05/27/introducing-posteverything/

I.e. It is literally a section where the authors are *not* Washington Post journalists. These are undeniable facts dude. And continuing to insist otherwise just shows that you're willing to spread misinformation.
    edited April 2020
    Trump is really losing it this afternoon. #1 because the press has decided to make a stand against his endless stream of false bullshit and #2 because a group of Governors, realizing there is absolutely no one competent at the top, have basically formed a coalition that is phasing Trump out. Which caused him to utter the words (and I quote) "the authority of the President of the United States is total". Not surprisingly, earlier in the day, the right-wing publication "The Federalist" put up an article arguing against........federalism. Some of us have been saying for years the whole "state's rights" charade on the right was nothing but a cover for racist policies and nothing else. Turns out that was......totally correct. And if Barack Obama had uttered the phrase "the authority of the President is total", Tea Party groups would have set up a gallows on Pennsylvania Ave. within 24 hours."Total authority" and "no responsibility". That's a hell of a gig if you can get it. And some of you think this guy won't fuck with an election in November?? Give me a break.........

As for Wisconsin, I was totally wrong about who would turn out. Even though it should have NEVER taken place and NO ONE should have been forced into that position on Election Day, Democratic turn-out was through the roof given what is going on. Which means that people are willing to crawl across broken glass to vote against Republicans because of Trump, and will even put their own well-being at risk if forced to do so. Because he is now recognized as the existential threat he is. Republicans in that state are now likely wishing they HAD allowed a delay for mail-in ballots.
    edited April 2020
    "Total authority" and "no responsibility". That's a hell of a gig if you can get it. And some of you think this guy won't fuck with an election in November?? Give me a break.........

Don't forget "the buck stops everywhere" when asked about the Republican government shutdown that accomplished nothing.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/rejecting-responsibility-trump-declares-the-buck-stops-everybody

lol so much for this:
    Trump is really losing it this afternoon. #1 because the press has decided to make a stand against his endless stream of false bullshit and #2 because a group of Governors, realizing there is absolutely no one competent at the top, have basically formed a coalition that is phasing Trump out.
    Well he told everyone to fend for themselves. He told the states to bid against each other. His idiot son-in-law who should have nothing to do with anything in the government said the medical supplies that federal government gets are for "us" and NOT the states. Whatever the hell that means.

Two groups formed because the Trump response has been so incompetent and will name their own public health and economic officials to figure out the transition:

- New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Rhode Island and Massachusetts
    - California, Washington and Oregon

Combined these states represent about 40% of the national GDP.
    Wisconsin certainly shows that while Republicans are certainly committed to voter suppression and other election chicanery, it's still not insuperable to win if left-of-center people can turn out. An important lesson in these coming critical elections. Punting on elections, however, will eventually lead to a situation where those measures will not be able to be overcome. A widely-held belief among American conservatives right now, both with their voters and with their political leaders, is that left-of-center politicians can never legitimately wield power in the US. Judiciaries and legislatures further stacked with Republicans while this belief reigns is going to eventually lock in Republican rule even when majorities vote against it.

Important to note that due to gerrymandering in the state, the Wisconsin state legislature is grotesquely unrepresentative: "Democrats won 53% of all the Assembly votes cast statewide while coming away with only 36% of the seats."

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/blogs/wisconsin-voter/2018/12/06/wisconsin-gerrymandering-data-shows-stark-impact-redistricting/2219092002/
    Well said, smeagol. To add, it's also important to note that while the first known cases appeared in China, it's never going to be absolutely certain that the virus originated in China.

In fact, it's likely that the virus long existed in wildlife that does not obey arbitrary lines drawn by human beings. I certainly think it's worth pointing out that lousy practices like wildlife markets have long been seen as risk centers for developing zoonotic diseases, so I don't think the Chinese government or cultural practices should be off limits for critique here. By the same token, large-scale industrial livestock practices like we see in the United States are also breeding grounds for zoonotic diseases.
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    edited April 2020
    Edit: Nvm
    edited April 2020
    Agree w/ @DinoDin. China definitely needs to take a hard look at their animal markets. People gotta eat but we gotta be safe too. That being said it could happen anywhere humans and animals are in close proximity to each other.

The answer to the question above is scapegoating. He wants to scapegoat China in order to distract from the many deaths here in America and from his botched response.
  • MaleficentOneMaleficentOne Member Posts: 211
    For the 2019 novel coronavirus the official names are:

Disease

coronavirus disease
    (COVID-19)

Virus

severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2
    (SARS-CoV-2)

Chinese flu is not the name. The reason people call it this is to scapegoat others and distract from their governments failures to contain the disease. It's unhelpful, the disease doesn't have a flag; the virus doesn't respect borders.

Innocent Asians all over the world have been attacked because they "look Chinese". Believe it or not attacking an old lady or spitting a young girl doesn't stop the spread of the virus, we know because people have tried.

Maybe you are not Chinese or Asian looking and think what you are doing doesn't affect me or it is just a game. It's not.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/23/us/chinese-coronavirus-racist-attacks.html

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/asian-americans-describe-gut-punch-of-racist-attacks-during-coronavirus-pandemic

https://www.texasobserver.org/gene-wu-on-coronavirus-and-the-rise-in-hate-fueled-attacks-against-asian-americans/

https://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_incidents_of_xenophobia_and_racism_related_to_the_2019–20_coronavirus_pandemic

There were two things wrong in my statement. The way I called COVID-19 and how Blacks are being used as scapegoats in China. Both are not ok but some took the first part of my statement as the more important or not PC way. Instead of condemning both we stuck to our narrative that Trumpisms are more important to correct or punish than Chinese throwing Blacks out of their homes. Of course if Trump did that there would be a new impeachment trial.

Your right, you don't know if I am Asian or if it affects me, I know true in my heart that I would fight to destroy racism by any government the way the CPC is treating Blacks. Sticks, stones and throwing people out of their homes will break bones, names not so much. I think Bill Maher has said it best lately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEfDwc2G2_8

• BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    Agree w/ @DinoDin. China definitely needs to take a hard look at their animal markets. People gotta eat but we gotta be safe too. That being said it could happen anywhere humans and animals are in close proximity to each other.

We don't need to focus on China's wet markets. Or at least, not to any greater degree than say American factory farms. Actually, those are far more dangerous to us than any Chinese market, given that they're breeding antibiotic-resistant bacteria, which will be great as we get more and more superbugs that we can't treat.

Also, just so people are aware, a wet market is any market where perishable food is sold. Like, where you buy fresh food. You know, grocery stores. Not just grocery stores, but definitely grocery stores.

Also, if Bill Maher has ever in his entire life said something best it was completely accidental. That guy is a high speed bad take machine and should never be listened to.
    edited April 2020

Also, if Bill Maher has ever in his entire life said something best it was completely accidental. That guy is a high speed bad take machine and should never be listened to.

So we are just going to dismiss people we don't agree with. Not very Democratic.
    Also, you can't be serious when you stated that a Chinese wet market is the same as a Grocery store in the US, C'mon.
    For the 2019 novel coronavirus the official names are:

Disease

coronavirus disease
    (COVID-19)

Virus

severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2
    (SARS-CoV-2)

Chinese flu is not the name. The reason people call it this is to scapegoat others and distract from their governments failures to contain the disease. It's unhelpful, the disease doesn't have a flag; the virus doesn't respect borders.

Innocent Asians all over the world have been attacked because they "look Chinese". Believe it or not attacking an old lady or spitting a young girl doesn't stop the spread of the virus, we know because people have tried.

Maybe you are not Chinese or Asian looking and think what you are doing doesn't affect me or it is just a game. It's not.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/23/us/chinese-coronavirus-racist-attacks.html

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/asian-americans-describe-gut-punch-of-racist-attacks-during-coronavirus-pandemic

https://www.texasobserver.org/gene-wu-on-coronavirus-and-the-rise-in-hate-fueled-attacks-against-asian-americans/

https://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_incidents_of_xenophobia_and_racism_related_to_the_2019–20_coronavirus_pandemic

There were two things wrong in my statement. The way I called COVID-19 and how Blacks are being used as scapegoats in China. Both are not ok but some took the first part of my statement as the more important or not PC way. Instead of condemning both we stuck to our narrative that Trumpisms are more important to correct or punish than Chinese throwing Blacks out of their homes. Of course if Trump did that there would be a new impeachment trial.

Your right, you don't know if I am Asian or if it affects me, I know true in my heart that I would fight to destroy racism by any government the way the CPC is treating Blacks. Sticks, stones and throwing people out of their homes will break bones, names not so much. I think Bill Maher has said it best lately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEfDwc2G2_8

You can be informed on the difference between calling is Chinese Flu and Covid on this forum. The participants here can attempt to inform you, and others, why calling it the Chinese flu is wrong and shouldn’t be tolerated and hopefully, if you agree with their assessments, you can be persuaded to change how you discuss the topic.

On the other hand, it’s impossible for this forum to change the racist behaviour of an entire region. We can be informed about it and wring our hands, but exerting energy in an attempt to persuade China of being less racist is for naught here.

So taking the part of your post where for forumites can make the most positive change (even if it is small) is where they’ll focus their energy on.

Why is calling COVID-19 the Chinese flu wrong? It is not wrong. We all choose to pick our fights, some say 'it's impossible for this forum to change the racist behaviour of an entire region.' fair, I agree on that with a global view. In turn you are also implying the "Chinese virus' is a racist statement in this forum if not Globally? Says who, and when? No change has been made, feelings should never have precedence over facts.
    Here we go rural America. Let's hope the stupidity of your governors don't get you killed:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/south-dakotas-governor-resisted-ordering-people-to-stay-home-now-it-has-one-of-the-nations-largest-coronavirus-hot-spots/2020/04/13/5cff90fe-7daf-11ea-a3ee-13e1ae0a3571_story.html
    I do feel sorry for the mayor quoted in the story. It does show that it isn't really partisan as republicans leaders know and are begging for more measures that are falling on a few deaf ears. But that's the beauty of democracies, the populace can remove the stupid ones eventually.
    The stupid ones are the ones that usually get the majority. The stupidity shifts every 4-8 years.
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    edited April 2020
    As for Wisconsin, I was totally wrong about who would turn out. Even though it should have NEVER taken place and NO ONE should have been forced into that position on Election Day, Democratic turn-out was through the roof given what is going on. Which means that people are willing to crawl across broken glass to vote against Republicans because of Trump, and will even put their own well-being at risk if forced to do so. Because he is now recognized as the existential threat he is. Republicans in that state are now likely wishing they HAD allowed a delay for mail-in ballots.

This is actually pretty monumental. The incumbent was highly favored to win. He won the February primary 50.1-37 (and they booted off a third guy at 12%). He polled 62-38 to win. That he lost 54.4 to 45.6 is staggeringly bad.

Also turnout was rather LOW. It was roughly 1.5M. That is close enough to the 2011 election. The only other election like this was 2016 (aside: Frankly, I still find it weird that their SCOTUS votes are done in the PRIMARY, not the general), and that was almost 2M votes. And according to fivethirtyeight, mail-in votes are around 80% of the vote. Means only about 300k actually voted in-person.

This is all kinds of bad for Trump. This should be a 5 alarm fire wakeup call. He NEEDS Wisconsin.

fivethirtyeight does a more detailed analysis, such that 2016 primary was highly contested in both parties while in 2020 the Rs just have Trump and Biden was prohibitively ahead.

Why is calling COVID-19 the Chinese flu wrong? It is not wrong. We all choose to pick our fights, some say 'it's impossible for this forum to change the racist behaviour of an entire region.' fair, I agree on that with a global view. In turn you are also implying the "Chinese virus' is a racist statement in this forum if not Globally? Says who, and when? No change has been made, feelings should never have precedence over facts.

I explained the problem above, you even quoted me and seemed to get it.

The problem in calling it the Chinese virus is this causes feelings and resentment against Chinese (and those with Asian appearance). And this has directly lead to people being attacked, spit on, and harrassed.

The facts are that the official names are:

Disease:
    coronavirus disease
    (COVID-19)

Virus:
    Ssevere acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2
    (SARS-CoV-2)
  • ktchongktchong Member Posts: 88
    edited April 2020
    Second wave of Chinese Flu is being blamed on Africans, can't make this shit up even if you tried.

There is more to this story than what is being reported in the Western media -- and in the Chinese media. This may come to most of you as a surprise who do not pay much attention to what has been going on inside China, but I have been following this development for a few years. I am gonna give you a bit of "Chinese insight" into the current backlash against African migrants, and it is gonna make you feel uncomfortable, but the truth is often ugly...

A decade ago, the Chinese people were laughing at Europeans (especially Swedes) for allowing African and Middle Eastern migrants to rape and ravage their countries. Ten years later, after Xi Jinping — the General Secretary or “President” (a misnomer) of China — had opened up China to the mass influx African migrants, now Chinese people are suffering the same fate as Europeans did a decade ago — and continue to do so. (And you are welcome to google to verify what I am saying here.) Guangzhou has become “Little Africa”. Over the past few years, I have seen Chinese people — especially Chinese men — becoming angrier and angrier online and when they were overseas beyond the eyes and ears of their totalitarian government. They angrily complained about the rising crimes committed by African migrants, about Chinese women are aggressively being harassed by African men. (Again, you can google all this to verify.) Also, African migrants are competing with China’s own migrant workers for the same jobs, effectively depressing the already low wages in China. African migrants are willing to work for wages that are even than what Chinese migrants are willing to accept.

Yet, the Chinese government has been suppressing the negative news — to protect and push Xi’s vision of a “globalized” China and the “Chinese-African friendship” agenda. Many Chinese citizens and ethnics (including myself) believe Xi and the CCP have decided to sacrifice the Chinese culture, people and women to protect Xi’s ego and vanity project. If Chinese people had a democracy and voice, I really believe they would have voted in a right-wing anti-migrant populist leader like Donald Trump. Yet Chinese people do NOT have a voice on this matter. Only Xi and the CCP gets to decide. I am gonna be honest here: I am genuinely worried about the future of the Chinese culture and people due to the influx of African migrants. The Chinese culture is already under pressures to change and adapt to the influx of African men, and I do NOT like those changes at all; (you can ask me about those changes.)

Which is why common Chinese people are now lashing out against African migrants, and why an anti-African backlash is now breaking out in China. Unfortunately, the CCP will most likely try to suppress the Chinese people to protect Xi’s pro-migrant agenda. The irony is: the neoliberal and leftist media and governments in America and Europe would LOVE Xi for his pro-migrant (but IMO anti-Chinese) policies, and even envy Xi as the dictator who has the absolutely unchecked power to carry out the pro-migrant agenda AGAINST the wish of the Chinese people. The Chinese people have never asked for African migrants. The Chinese people have never wanted an "African invasion". It was a top-down directive from a totalitarian government.

So, is democracy the answer for China? I can guarantee you, if Chinese have democracy now, they will elect right-wing, anti-African migrant leaders to rid China of African migrants. The only reason why China has opened the floodgate to let in African migrants is because the Chinese leaders do not have to listen or be accountable to the Chinese people. If China has democracy and elections, Chinese will immediately elect their own Donald Trump, a right-wing anti-migrant populist leader, due to the current anti-African anger and anti-migrant backlash that have been boiling for the past few years. Chinese people do not have a voice in determining the fate of their nation and culture. The whole African migrant situation was a top-down directive being forced down their throat by their totalitarian government, which is why there is an angry backlash against African migrants.

Also, seeing what happened to Chinese and in China in the past few years has certainly made me become more receptive to Trump’s anti-immigration messages. Which is why Trump is somewhat popular among Chinese, which has puzzled a lot of outsiders, seeing that Trump is also “anti-China” -- because a lot of Chinese are actually wishing, "if only we have our own Donald Trump who cares more about the Chinese people rather than those migrants."

So, there, you've just learned something new today.

Ghengis Khan raped his way across Asia so much so that 1/200 males can point to being a descendent. Barbarians today, civilized society tomorrow.