Skip to content

The Politics Thread

Comments

• jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited January 2021
    Now that 2020 is officially wrapping up, none of this was a split decision. The Dems held the House, only losing red seats they should have never held in the first place. Biden trounced Trump, and the Dems will take the Senate with only a mediocre map to work with. In the short term, Trump destroyed the GOP's iron-clad grip on Washington DC in record time. And now Biden can actually make Supreme Court picks. What a novel concept.
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,573
    Pretty awesome night. Huge win for the country. Actual economic relief is now on the table for US citizens. As well real reform on issues which have broad popular support.

As JJ stated after the November election, big credit has to go out to Stacy Abrams in all this. Just unbelievable what Democrats have achieved in that state over the past decade.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    It looks safe. We should have a couple years of centrist rule in the States before the next midterms. That gives the Biden administration enough time to fight the last months of COVID, but I'm not sure which of their numerous priorities are actually going to get implemented.

I so badly wish this victory would translate into campaign finance reform. It's a rare opportunity, but you'd need really strong unity on the part of the Democratic party in order to actually find the votes.
  • GundanRTOGundanRTO Member Posts: 81
    GundanRTO wrote: »
    jjstraka34 wrote: »
    I don't know, it's too early.

By the way close to 200k voters were illegally purged in Georgia. The last election Democrats won by around 11,000 votes.

https://www.democracynow.org/2021/1/5/greg_palast_georgia

I really hate the GOP they're terrible for America. Why do people keep voting for them? They deserve zero votes, zero. I don't get it.

I mean they keep cheating, lying, stealing, commiting crimes. They're just the worst.

Right now, Wornack should win by about 1.1% and Ossoff will likely be a few tenths of a percent below him. It's of course conceivable that EVERY pattern seen through over 50% of the vote totals could flip on it's head, but that typically does not happen:

Wasserman just called Wornack's race in favor in the Democrat. Ossoff's race is still too close for him to call.

Loeffler was deeply unpopular and even though GA tends to be a conservative state she was always vulnerable to defeat ever since the news of her engaging in insider trading came out shortly after the pandemic's emergence back in March.

Perdue's not particularly well liked, but he's established and not quite as vulnerable or hated as she was. So that race could be closer.

Dude's an insider trader and a coward. Hiding and refusing to debate Ossoff. Ossoff shredded him in the one debate they had and Perdue hid and hopes to coast into the Senate. He's pathetic. This is a guy GOP voters are voting for.

I didn't know about the insider trading, but it doesn't surprise me. Perdue's an awful candidate. Still, it seemed from the outside looking in (I'm in Canada) that the attacks (rightfully) directed toward Loeffler were a little more forceful. I do remember that Ossoff smoked Perdue in their one debate, and it caused Perdue to go radio silent after that.

Looks like both seats will flip, which means a Democratic controlled senate. For progressives, they can take heart that Bernie Sanders will now head the Senate Budget Committee, which is a pretty significant improvement from Lindsey Graham.
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    Phew. Had a Mythic run night, and came back to seeing Warnock and Ossof down, but the NYT needle predicting a clean win for both. Thank goodness for that.

I honestly believe that Biden's presidency may save hundreds of thousands of lives when it comes to COVID and everything else. He's probably going to be a totally mediocre president, but going from the absolute bottom of the barrel to middle of the pack might be the biggest jump of my lifetime (Although Bush to Obama was probably bigger, tbh).

Breyer will retire in the next 6 months. SCOTUS reform will be put forward. Manchin will be the keystone to the senate. I can already imagine people in this thread complaining about Machin in a few months, but I'd muuuuuuuch rather him wield power in the senate than McConnell.
    Phew. Had a Mythic run night, and came back to seeing Warnock and Ossof down, but the NYT needle predicting a clean win for both. Thank goodness for that.

I honestly believe that Biden's presidency may save hundreds of thousands of lives when it comes to COVID and everything else. He's probably going to be a totally mediocre president, but going from the absolute bottom of the barrel to middle of the pack might be the biggest jump of my lifetime (Although Bush to Obama was probably bigger, tbh).

Breyer will retire in the next 6 months. SCOTUS reform will be put forward. Manchin will be the keystone to the senate. I can already imagine people in this thread complaining about Machin in a few months, but I'd muuuuuuuch rather him wield power in the senate than McConnell.

Mythic as in Mythic Dungeon run?? What class are you playing??

Haha yup. I'm currently maining a Restoration Druid. Tonight was our first attempt in SL to actually beat the timer rather than just gear up. Missed an M2 in Spires of Ascension by like 10 seconds and then cleared a Theater of Pain M2 by like 5 minutes.

We're pretty casual, only one (maybe two) nights a week, 2 or 3 tries on those nights.

Before my Druid in this xpac, I was maining a Blood DK and tanking for the same crew in BFA. Our top result was a M+13 key clear in King's Rest. We started pretty late there though. First mythic attempt was in 8.3 when I came back from a looooong hiatus

Have you been playing since Shadowlands dropped? What class do you normally run?

Haha yup. I'm currently maining a Restoration Druid. Tonight was our first attempt in SL to actually beat the timer rather than just gear up. Missed an M2 in Spires of Ascension by like 10 seconds and then cleared a Theater of Pain M2 by like 5 minutes.

We're pretty casual, only one (maybe two) nights a week, 2 or 3 tries on those nights.

Before my Druid in this xpac, I was maining a Blood DK and tanking for the same crew in BFA. Our top result was a M+13 key clear in King's Rest. We started pretty late there though. First mythic attempt was in 8.3 when I came back from a looooong hiatus

Have you been playing since Shadowlands dropped? What class do you normally run?

I need to find a group to do these, pugging them can be an absolute nightmare. I'm playing an Elemental Shaman, I do World Quest as Enhancement (their preferred secondary stat weights are basically the same, so the only difference is getting the weapons). When everyone is overgeared in 6 months, I'll feel comfortable enough to do dungeons as Resto.

I have been playing, alot, until the last week when I just got hit with that "overwhelmed" feeling and the time I spent yesterday doing the 5 Timewalking Dungeons for the piece of Raid-level gear felt more like a chore. It's hard to keep a balance if you do everything on a daily basis. You get worn out. Theater of Pain is not the best dungeon to get to be pushing keys. I'd have to say Mists of Tirna Scithe is by far the easiest, as long as no one gets knocked back off the ledge in that final run-up with those ghorm.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    not sure why you all are so confident. They're still counting. I hope you're right.

As per the rest of the comments, I'm not expecting much from a Biden Presidency and Joe Mancin sucks.
    not sure why you all are so confident. They're still counting. I hope you're right.

As per the rest of the comments, I'm not expecting much from a Biden Presidency and Joe Mancin sucks.

Purdue and Loeffler have exhausted all their votes. Everything left to come in is almost certainly not just going to be blue, but overwhelmingly so.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Good fucking riddance to the jackasses trying to suck up to Emperor Trump. Now we just need a nice 'fuck you' from Pence to Trump and we can move on from this shit-show debacle. I doubt we'll get to see the middle-finger but I'm willing to bet Pence jumps off this sinking ship...
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,323
    The Associated Press have now called the election for Warnock. Loeffler is proving to be a true disciple of Trump by refusing to concede and saying she's still going to win.

Ossoff is now in the lead on votes counted and, given where remaining votes are from, it's pretty inconceivable he won't also win. It's still just about possible that the margin will be within the 0.5% recount level, but it's far more likely it will be above that.
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    Thank you Georgia! The gift that keeps on giving
    There weren't a TON of them (these races tracked close enough that if one won the other was probably going to) but the Warnock/Purdue ticket splitters are some truly perplexing people.
    edited January 2021
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    Good fucking riddance to the jackasses trying to suck up to Emperor Trump. Now we just need a nice 'fuck you' from Pence to Trump and we can move on from this shit-show debacle. I doubt we'll get to see the middle-finger but I'm willing to bet Pence jumps off this sinking ship...

What's even better is that now us leftists have the votes to end Christmas once and for all and replace every American flag in the nation's schools with that of the Chinese Communist Party.......oh wait, did I say that out loud......shit. Busted.

On the one hand, a win is a win is a win. On the other, these races were basically a tie, and Loeffler and Purdue were unlikable, horrendous candidates who, if they weren't flat-out insider trading on early pandemic information, were absolutely moving stocks around after getting the info (so I don't know what else you'd call it), which is beyond immoral given where we are today. And it still took every last vote to get them out of there.

The message to the Democrats is this: turn out your base. Elections are no longer about convincing people you are right, they are about getting the people who already think you are right out to the polls.

The message to Republicans. Well, former high-level operator Stuart Stevens (and one of the only ones to do a FULL mea culpa) says it best:

Once again, the polls WITHOUT Trump occupying a spot on the ballot were spot on. This is further evidence of the complete cult of personality. Polls can't capture his unique hidden support, but it doesn't exist when he isn't an option to vote for. It didn't in almost every election from 2016-2018, and it didn't last night.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    50 year long study shows that trickle down economics doesn't work. To the surprise of no one.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/dec/20/joe-biden-trickle-down-economics-build-up

The only answer now is to do at least 50 years of "trickle up" economics. Give tax cuts, stimulus, and bonuses to the poor, while shifting the majority of tax burden to the super wealthy. You know, just so we are SURE if it works or not.
    edited January 2021
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    50 year long study shows that trickle down economics doesn't work. To the surprise of no one.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/dec/20/joe-biden-trickle-down-economics-build-up

The only answer now is to do at least 50 years of "trickle up" economics. Give tax cuts, stimulus, and bonuses to the poor, while shifting the majority of tax burden to the super wealthy. You know, just so we are SURE if it works or not.

I mean, even a very rudimentary and basic look at the last 40 years is pretty clear-cut. There have been 4 Republican Presidents, and every single one of them has had a recession START on their watch. 3 of them passed massive tax cuts, and the one that didn't (Bush Sr.) was unlucky enough to be sitting on the tail end of 12-years of the theory he had called "voodoo economics" in the 1980 primary. Even though he didn't particularly believe in it, his whole party did.
    edited January 2021

What's even better is that now us leftists have the votes to end Christmas once and for all and replace every American flag in the nation's schools with that of the Chinese Communist Party.......oh wait, did I say that out loud......shit. Busted.

You forgot about taking all of our guns, making Christianity illegal, dismantling our armed forces, declaring war on Israel and forcing us all to worship Satan while eating babies...

Edit: Oh, and forcing chefs to make cakes for same-sex marriages. That's the worst!
    edited January 2021

You forgot about taking all of our guns, making Christianity illegal, dismantling our armed forces, declaring war on Israel and forcing us all to worship Satan while eating babies...

Edit: Oh, and forcing chefs to make cakes for same-sex marriages. That's the worst!

Rudy Giuliani just suggested the election should now be decided with "trial by combat" at the sparsely attended "Stop the Steal" event in DC today. It never fails to amuse me how small the crowds for these things actually are. If these people are the front-lines of the Civil War, I like our chances. They don't even look like they could find a parking spot in a city, much less mount a guerrilla insurgency.
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    edited January 2021
    Didn’t Giuliani also stake his reputation on there being fraud at the same time as requesting trial by combat? So staking nothing of any value
    One of the more amusing and ridiculous contradictions in this unmitigated fiasco is that the GOP are current poking holes in the institution that is the *only* reason any modern conservative president has had ANY chance of getting elected.

If the GOP continues to undermine the faith and fairness of the Electoral College, one wonders if that doesnt push us towards a popular vote model - which the GOP has only won once in the past 32 years...
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Just think of the revenue the government can pull in if trial by combat was a thing. Who doesn't want to see a throw down between Trump and Biden? Throw that up behind a pay wall and your deficit is gone.

Canada chose it's Prime Minister this way... can't see why the States can't: https://www.ctvnews.ca/justin-trudeau-wins-charity-boxing-match-1.790080

https://youtu.be/XuSpZ3_5pTc
    edited January 2021
    One of the more amusing and ridiculous contradictions in this unmitigated fiasco is that the GOP are current poking holes in the institution that is the *only* reason any modern conservative president has had ANY chance of getting elected.

If the GOP continues to undermine the faith and fairness of the Electoral College, one wonders if that doesnt push us towards a popular vote model - which the GOP has only won once in the past 32 years...

Mitch McConnell can seriously f' off with his crocodile tears speech today, though many people are falling for it. No man is more responsible for what happened the last half decade, and now he's playing into the desperate urge of the media to go back to "both sides" as soon as possible.

Meanwhile, Trump told his crowd to go to the Capitol and they now are, in fact, storming the US Capitol, which is now in lockdown:

Seriously, they have now breached the Capitol and are inside, and, true to form, the police are doing jack-shit to stop it because of what type of people are in the crowd. Trump literally instigated a riot on the US Capitol. Those of us who said this was a coup who were ridiculed would like our apology now.

And my GOD the doubt standards in law enforcement response. Is this even a debate anymore??:

I don't necessarily mean to ascribe the last sentence quoted here to anyone, as a disclosure, but I feel the sentiment in my bones:

Not a joke anymore, this reporter is in there right now:

There is an armed stand-off taking place at the entrance of the House Chamber. They've busted the glass and guards are holding Trump's fascist thugs at bay:

Post edited by jjstraka34 on
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    someone was shot, it has been reported on pbs. the situation appears disastrous.
    Still not a 'real' coup attempt imho. Merely a bunch of violent protesters who decried the violent protesters in Portland just a few months ago. Bunch of fucking hypocrites...
    A request for National Guard troops was requested (Capitol police are out of their depth on this). The Defense Department denied the request. Ominous.