Skip to content

BG3 confirmed

Comments

• DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    edited June 2019
    I literally had no problem getting into DOS, in fact my problem was getting out of it. It was easier to get into it than it is/was or bg for me because I preferred it's mechanics vastly more than I do bg mechanics.

I started playing with one character being a tank paladin and had the other trying to master all the elemental magic... Almost failed that quartet of college I was so hooked on the game that I had to step back and just stop playing it.

Unfortunately i never finished it because when i did finally come back i couldn't remember the choices I made and the things I did earlier in the run which screwed over my run.

ThAt and i love when games actually take into account that some of the world breaking things our characters can do...actually effect the world around us, and spells actually build on top of each other to expand or even create new effects.
    shabadoo wrote: »
    You can return to the keep, you just can't enter without a notable tome to donate to the library. The guards even admit they know who you are and that you grew up there as Gorion's ward. I
    I don't call the returning to the keep, i call returning to the keep them opening the gates and letting the person who lived there their entire life come back home.

That's like saying "in going to return to the home i grew up in" but all you do is stand in the street in front of the place you grew up in, just starting at it. You didn't really return.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I haven't played D:OS, so take this for what its worth. But WHAT?! A ritual murder in a small town ISN'T ENGAGING? Why? How? I want to try the game out now based on that alone.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited June 2019
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    I haven't played D:OS, so take this for what its worth. But WHAT?! A ritual murder in a small town ISN'T ENGAGING? Why? How? I want to try the game out now based on that alone.

I meant to say that the Divinity series in general is very much inspired by Ultima VII. The beginning of that game has a ritual murder. The beginning of D:OS is just a murder really, but I clearly see the parallels, and to me, it is what got me hooked on it. I felt the investigation was far more interesting than your average video game. The main suspect initially is the victim's wife, and you can use dialogue, lockpicking, and even combat to come to your conclusion.

I had no idea so many people hated these two games. It kinds kinda blows my mind.
  • SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    edited June 2019
    there's something I'd like to see : a nice UI.
    Not that UI we see in every games nowaday, a transparent window with the text, or simple boxes/squares to show your spells/portraits.

Look at the UI we have (had) in BG1, BG2 and IWD... those details !!! You know they've put a lot of time and work into these UI when you see that. And the result was so good, it was the perfect match with these games.

Please BG3, I want a high quality interface !!!
  • the_sexteinthe_sextein Member Posts: 711
    edited June 2019
    I haven't really enjoyed an RPG since Baldur's Gate 2. Companies have used big name brands and continually listened to the masses of talentless children demanding this feature and that ever since, and it's been one great disappointment over and over again. The fact that a couple ex doctors and a team of people who never created a game before could get the rights to Baldur's Gate and start a company out of someone's garage and do what they wanted is why the Baldur's Gate series is good. The industry is too overrun with greed and it requires half a billion dollars to create a game and get the rights to do it. The only way to not sink your company in the process is to cater the game to the lowest common denominator. That is why RPG's do not have 6 man teams and deep complex gameplay. They do have Star Wars name brands and all manor of eye candy though. I'm simply not interested.

I have played plenty of Resident Evil games that are not survival horror, plenty of Splinter Cell games that are not stealth, and seen plenty of great game series like GTA and Final Fantasy turn into little online multiplayer jerk fests. Personally, I have no hope for this game what so ever. IF they do make a game with D&D 5E rules with deep RTS gameplay and the isometric view that is REQUIRED for it to work then I will give it a look but I am not holding out any hope for that in todays corporate BS. Even then, it would need stylized artwork for each area, not this copy paste 3D style that lacks soul and boring as all heck turn based gameplay. It's fine in pen and paper but a video game is not pen and paper. Bioware made the correct choice with BG all those years ago.

I did enjoy SOD because it used the old engine with the old rules and the old party structure that is simply too much for the masses to enjoy. I had hopes that Beamdog would be able to add more between BG2 and the end of TOB in order to transform TOB into the equivalent of BG3 but no more. In fact, I am very disappointed with Beamdog's lack of interest in the PC platform. Selling a cell phone version of the game as "enhanced" to a PC audience and then breaking the game for the first time since it's release 20 years ago and refusing to fix it for a year because of the tarded console versions. Very disappointing time to be a gamer. I will always be greatful to Beamdog for SOD and the resolution support that brought me joy for a few years but ultimately they have left a sour taste in my mouth as even the old classics that I enjoy are unplayable. Trent no longer owns the Baldur's Gate 3 web address, so I would have to assume that Beamdog fumbled their cards and lost the right to work on it which means that Baldur's Gate 3 is going to the next standard AAA sellout studio for more milking like so many name brands before it.
    Post edited by the_sextein on
  • shabadooshabadoo Member Posts: 324
    edited June 2019
    @DragonKing, you said it didn't make sense that charname would go wander off into strange territory looking for the FAI( as instructed btw) instead of returning to his home. That's how I understood it, anyway. It is puzzling that Gorian being attacked and killed is of no interest to anybody in Candlekeep. Like I said, your presence would be demanded, I would think.
    @shabadoo
    I'm lost now because yeah that is part of what i stated...

You replied that that mc can go back you just can't enter without a rare tome.

Which i replied, that's not returning. If are stopped from entering the keep then you can't return to the keep. The rare tome needed for him to enter the keep again to my memory is a story specific that isn't received until near end of the story, hence he can't return.

I wrote off the keep not caring that gorion died as just them never learning of it. The dead of gorion wasn't some massive world news. He died in the middle of a forest where technically no one could find his body.

• megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    the chapter 1 intro text out right states gorian is the only reason you were allowed in. with him gone you are no long allowed into the keep and must now fend for yourself.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Character name isn't really lost. They literally follow a road north and are given directions by two NPCs (one forced) telling you which way to go.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    jjstraka34 wrote: »

I meant to say that the Divinity series in general is very much inspired by Ultima VII. The beginning of that game has a ritual murder. The beginning of D:OS is just a murder really, but I clearly see the parallels, and to me, it is what got me hooked on it. I felt the investigation was far more interesting than your average video game. The main suspect initially is the victim's wife, and you can use dialogue, lockpicking, and even combat to come to your conclusion.

I had no idea so many people hated these two games. It kinds kinda blows my mind.

Maybe I'm just an unusually curious person, but the easist way to get me into something is to put forth a mystery. The big reason BG1's story got me initially was the mystery, "Why am I being hunted." rather than any connection to any characters. Same thing with Pillars and the weird visions. The main reason I've avoided Divinity (besides the price) was that I heard its all turnbased. Which tends to be REALLY slow in crpgs.
    deltago wrote: »
    Character name isn't really lost. They literally follow a road north and are given directions by two NPCs (one forced) telling you which way to go.

yeah there is a clear road to both beragost and the friendly arm inn. heck everything in the middle of the map is a road.
    jjstraka34 wrote: »

Maybe I'm just an unusually curious person, but the easist way to get me into something is to put forth a mystery. The big reason BG1's story got me initially was the mystery, "Why am I being hunted." rather than any connection to any characters. Same thing with Pillars and the weird visions. The main reason I've avoided Divinity (besides the price) was that I heard its all turnbased. Which tends to be REALLY slow in crpgs.

thats only the original sin games. the first two games in the series [ divine and beyond] play more like diablo.
  • leeuxleeux Member Posts: 115
    edited June 2019
    Yeah, I'm also hooked instantly by any good mystery, rather than any emotional connections to characters I'd have known just for a few seconds/minutes at the start of any game (specially in games where I create my own characters and I'm thus free to come up with any background I please.)
    megamike15 wrote: »
    thats only the original sin games. the first two games in the series [ divine and beyond] play more like diablo.

I loved Divine Divinity and (the old) Divinity 2 myself... (as for Beyond, didn't like what little I saw of it... but I haven't played it much.)

• shabadooshabadoo Member Posts: 324
    @DragonKing, got it... I thought you were saying there was no way to go back at all, or even try, and that that made no sense.
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,572
    I'll definitely agree on the pacing of D:OS opening. It's a shame because the early dungeon and beach is fine but then it's a looong stretch of talky townquesting. This is even more true when you play on the higher difficulty level, because you absolutely need the level ups to tackle any of the early game dungeon crawls. So it's a serious issue of bad pacing.

To be fair, the original Baldur's Gate suffers a tad from this on a standard playthrough, where you're spending a large amount of the opening hours in Candlekeep, Friendly Arm, Beregost and Nashkel. It's a lot of town. But at least there, there's plenty of early game wilderness with baddies that match your level. You don't have to level up.

Other games have been smarter in this regard. BG2 imo. The original Pillars also opened smartly with a very barebones town.
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,572

Ehh... I'm going to reveal *minor spoilers* here, but it doesn't play out as exciting as it sounds. Literally, as soon as you start investigating the murder the game whisks away your PC's to a related but different aspect of the main plot. It's as if the writers of the game themselves weren't even hooked by the murder.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    @ThacoBell and everyone who is afraid to jump into DOS because TB combat can be "slow". I was exactly of the same opinion several years ago and didn't want to try those games exactly because of that. But boy how I was proven wrong when I did them a chance. The battles don't feel slow at all. I don't know how they managed it - because Torment: Tides of Numenera and PoE 2 turn-based mode feel slow indeed.
    and as much as i talk about the shadowrun games they to are also slow. the god mode cheat also speeds up combat as well as making the battles easier as i suck at srpgs.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    https://www.thenerdmag.com/rumor-google-stadia-show-scheduled-for-june-6th/

We can expect a Google Stadia show for June 6th, 2019. "Baldur's Gate 3 will be a console exclusive for Stadia, but PC will get it on day 1."
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

We can expect a Google Stadia show for June 6th, 2019. "Baldur's Gate 3 will be a console exclusive for Stadia, but PC will get it on day 1."

That would be the shottiest thing possible. A person just has to look at how the Google Play store is handled to see how well gamers will trust a Google based console product.

I do not know what Wizard’s is thinking there if this is true. Guess I’ll be playing it on PC after all.
  • byrne20byrne20 Member Posts: 503
    @JuliusBorisov ah man. That’s disappointing if it is exclusive to the google console. Surely they want it to sell well? Why make it a console exclusive to an unproven console? That makes very little sense to me :neutral:
  • RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    Man this is exciting. Sure the larian turn base tendency is not my favorite but they are great and a freaking BG3 is being done, HOLY F*KK!
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    deltago wrote: »

That would be the shottiest thing possible. A person just has to look at how the Google Play store is handled to see how well gamers will trust a Google based console product.

I do not know what Wizard’s is thinking there if this is true. Guess I’ll be playing it on PC after all.
    It could be worse, I suppose: like also becoming a store front exclusive on PC. Luckily there's no such store... hm? Why am I getting a deja vu fibe here?
  • anastielanastiel Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 246

FEAR
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    @ThacoBell and everyone who is afraid to jump into DOS because TB combat can be "slow". I was exactly of the same opinion several years ago and didn't want to try those games exactly because of that. But boy how I was proven wrong when I did them a chance. The battles don't feel slow at all. I don't know how they managed it - because Torment: Tides of Numenera and PoE 2 turn-based mode feel slow indeed.

Well I found the battles very tedious and silly and ended up turning the difficulty all the way down so I could breeze through them quickly just to be done with them.

But my issues with TB combat go way beyond just the slowness of things. For me TB is immersion-breaking. It is also way too restrictive of my freedom and agency as a player. And then, specific to D:OS, I found it rather silly that the battles were always set up, for both you and the enemy, with oil slicks/barrels and water puddles/barrels very conveniently placed so you can "interact" with the environment. That is fake environmental interaction to me.
    And for me battles on Tactician are similar to using SCS in BG on highest settings, which I like. Oh well.
    kanisatha wrote: »

Well I found the battles very tedious and silly and ended up turning the difficulty all the way down so I could breeze through them quickly just to be done with them.

But my issues with TB combat go way beyond just the slowness of things. For me TB is immersion-breaking. It is also way too restrictive of my freedom and agency as a player. And then, specific to D:OS, I found it rather silly that the battles were always set up, for both you and the enemy, with oil slicks/barrels and water puddles/barrels very conveniently placed so you can "interact" with the environment. That is fake environmental interaction to me.
    For is it any more immersion breaking than bg or any other top down game where you actually art immersed but have a stereoscopic gods eye view of the world? Also what do you mean by "too restrictive"?

The second part isn't even a tb issue, that's a level design "issue". It's also no sillier then how in bg you can be in a forest, cast a massive fireball and none of the trees catches on fire or any real environmental damage actually happens at all or how we have spells that should do massive damage to not just npc but environments but they don't.

megamike15 wrote: »
    and as much as i talk about the shadowrun games they to are also slow. the god mode cheat also speeds up combat as well as making the battles easier as i suck at srpgs.
    That literally takes the fun out of them. Dos, shadowrun are all tactical games. You don't play them for speedy action, you play them to plan and strategize how you are going to beat your current opposition..

This is shocking to me seeing this come from people in this forum especially since I can throw a stone in the on this forum and chances are ill hit a post about someone talking about tactics and planning in bg.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    kanisatha wrote: »

I had this exact same problem with the first game being tedious, especially with fights just dragging on forever. There's much less of it in D:OS2, and the longer fights feel a lot more justified, or are actually interesting, like the battle on top of the oil well. I never finished the first one, but have finished the second one a few times, it's much improved IMHO. If you're not into turn based combat, it still won't be for you, but I found the second game to be proper difficulty instead of tediousness. That's probably one of my biggest complaints about a game, when the devs mistake tediousness for difficulty.
  • anastielanastiel Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 246

Some news can't wait for #E3.

Tune into the first ever #StadiaConnect this Thursday 6/6 at 9AM PT for exciting announcements, games, and more → http://g.co/stadiaconnect

Possible release infos for BG3
This discussion has been closed.