Skip to content

Nexlit the Xvart Fan Club

1235»

Comments

• MikeMastersMikeMasters Member Posts: 141
    maybe what everyone called was just an avatar of Nexlit
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    @Miloch - that was sort of my point. It isn't a clear 'we must do this' reaction, which is why I found it empty.
  • HeroicSpurHeroicSpur Member Posts: 907
    @LadyEibhilinRhett : Yes he is. But don't whisper it, say it loud. He's been marginalised because he's coloured -- blue.

I agree with the sentiments about this area seeming empty and lacking direction. This is what they said over on Project Eternity about their level design:

"The size and structure of the world - This game will be... large. And it will have two big cities, exploration areas, and a 15-level mega-dungeon. Ensuring that the world is planned properly requires examination of what has worked for us in the past and what hasn't. The original Baldur's Gate had a number of wilderness areas, but low density of content in many of those areas. Baldur's Gate II had much greater content density, but fewer wilderness/pure exploration areas. We'd like to make sure we have pure exploration areas while still maintaining good content density."

Therein lies the one flaw that I don't think BG:EE remedies, content density. And it seems Nexlit must suffer for it.
    Miloch
  • MilochMiloch Member Posts: 863
    @HeroicSpur @reedmilfam
    Agreed. Fortunately, there will be a mod that remedies all of that, as soon as @Kaeloree and his team get around to making it public. :)
  • rufus_hobartrufus_hobart Member Posts: 490
    ha, it always felt like a modern day style of warfare..."shock and awe"...i always had my good-aligned characters write little essays in their journals after they'd wiped out the xvarts and gnoll civilizations, questioning whether complete genocide of whole villages was REALLY a good act....
    An interesting concept, @rufus_hobart. Certainly, you could be justified with bringing the gnollish "war criminals" to the "ultimate trial" (i.e. death) due to their abduction and near starvation of Dynaheir. Well, maybe. They didn't murder her, after all. As for the xvarts, they were caught trying to butcher a cow. As if human(oid)s don't do that every day? Hardly an "evil" act per se, yet xvarts are undeniably evil. Perhaps they have committed even more "evil" activities of which your party is as yet unaware...
    CrevsDaak
  • HeroicSpurHeroicSpur Member Posts: 907
    @Miloch, like being born :'( When was that a crime? When?!!
    How are XVARTS undeniably evil? I think it takes a brain to be EVIL - a purpose and other things. They seem pretty mindless-pack mentality and do nothing worse than attack intruders and raid for food. I agree that civilized people call them evil, but that does not evil make. I believe that evil has to have intent. An aggressive dog causes harm, but that doesn't mean that the dog knows the ramifications of its actions - hence neutralilty for animals.

I suppose, if we define 'evil' as 'contrary to the will of the realm in place', then, yes, they might be seen as evil. I'm not sure that the human settlements pre-date the xvarts or that humans have any more claim to the area than they. They're pests, but I don't necessarily equate that to evil.

So, if they are evil, I would like to see greater evil deeds than (a) existing and (b) needing food. Waylaying caravans is a predatory action, but not necessarily evil. Hope I'm making sense; the thought is clear in my head, but I worry about over-rambling. Yes, the Fiend Folio says they are evil; BG doesn't do anything to establish that evilness.
    HeroicSpurCrevsDaak
    @reedmilfam - they're not mindless if they're of "average" intelligence (i.e. the same as average humans). As for evil acts, isn't attacking you on sight even though you've done them no harm (until after they attack) justification enough? Also, they're not attacking humans for food, since their main diet is livestock and small animals. Their reason for attacking humans seems to be (per their 2e description): "Xvarts love to take human prisoners, sometimes for ransom, sometimes to torment them." That's fairly evil if you ask me.
    @Miloch - I agree with what you wrote from 'the book' standpoint. In the game, however, there's a disconnect in that there's no reason to wipe out their village (except that it's 'there') - no actual basis for it. No prisoners to rescue (and no sign of prisoners). That's essentially my point. From an RP standpoint, why eliminate that village?
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455

This thread received a resurrection?

Yes, It deserve it..

From an RP standpoint, why eliminate that village?

A: Because you feel the uncontrollable urge to squash the evil blue little buggers, obviously.

B: Because it's fun!

(Is that RP enough? :P)
    CrevsDaak
  • RomulanPaladinRomulanPaladin Member Posts: 188

From an RP standpoint, why eliminate that village?

To save the cows! Poor cows... First xvarts, then Nerra... ... ... ... ... Maybe we should take out Nerra. Save the cows!
    mch202CrevsDaak
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.