Skip to content

Ask Beamdog

Comments

• batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    fetito666 wrote: »
    I just hope that they survive without D&D licence, because I really like their Enhanced Editions. Hopefully, the console ports will sell well. Moreover, on the Asian market Baldurs Gate will be kinda "exotic" <3

Well they should have a plan to keep the interest of their fanbase alive...I have a strong suspicion a lot of people have just disappeared due to the lengthy patch cycles and lack of new content.

Branching out to reach a new customers is fine and all, but even that can only keep things afloat for awhile...
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    edited November 2019
    We didn't lose our license as we're still working on all the EEs. However, we want to create new games, going forward, unrelated to D&D (at least, for the next little while).
  • StaranStaran Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 295
    Yeah guys, at a time we’re dnd is the most popular it has been in over a generation and wizards of the cost is making money hand over fist with dnd, Beamdog finds that this is a good time to walk away from the ip.

It just makes smart business sense.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    If only it was that simple.
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    Skatan wrote: »
    Dear all,

This thread has been cleaned and off-topic comments have been splint into a separate thread. You're all welcome to continue discussing of course, but please start new threads for those sub-topics instead.

Thank you.
    //Skat.
    Has this new thread been deleted? I cannot find it anywhere anymore.
    That thread was moved to the holding area.
    Console version of nwn comes out in two weeks.
    When released it will have the new renderer that has been working on for a year.
    Will we get that video that was planned last July showing the new renderer?
    Or is the renderer “not ready yet”?
    What does that mean? Sorry if this is off-topic. I don't know where else to ask.
    Staran wrote: »
    Console version of nwn comes out in two weeks.
    When released it will have the new renderer that has been working on for a year.
    Will we get that video that was planned last July showing the new renderer?
    Or is the renderer “not ready yet”?

Not sure, because every time I'm asking about that - the team is extremely busy, all their time and effort are on the console version.
    kanisatha wrote: »
    What does that mean? Sorry if this is off-topic. I don't know where else to ask.

It means the thread is no longer public because despite numerous warnings from the moderation team the participants there preferred to keep discussing moderation, and not marketing & business.
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    edited November 2019
    Yeah guys, at a time we’re dnd is the most popular it has been in over a generation and wizards of the cost is making money hand over fist with dnd, Beamdog finds that this is a good time to walk away from the ip.

I think you completely missunderstand the circumtances.
    Beamdog spent years creating enhanced editions of Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape Torment, eventually even Neverwinter Nights. They would've given us Icewind Dale II had they been able to find the source code. They were even able to make an interquel to BG in the shape of Siege of Dragonspear (a great game btw, I'll say it once again. It has its problems, but a great game nonetheless).
    And what happens?
    People complain about every little stupid tiny detail. A bit of it is justified of course, but dear God some people talk about the EEs as if Beamdog literally killed their own mothers.
    There's controversy about... Well, everything, really. Remember Mizhena? Yeah.
    So what happens?
    At a time when D&D is back in the spotlight again (thanks Stranger Things!), freakin' Baldur's Gate III is anounced.
    But wait, what's that?...
    Oh, it's being made by Larian Studios... Not Beamdog, who would've been the obvious choice.
    Let's be honest. I know no one here wants to say the words, but Beamdog were dropped by WotC. Simple as that.
    A shame, but it is what it is.
    Stop blaming the victims.
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Member Posts: 100
    Dev6 wrote: »

I think you completely missunderstand the circumtances.
    Beamdog spent years creating enhanced editions of Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape Torment, eventually even Neverwinter Nights. They would've given us Icewind Dale II had they been able to find the source code. They were even able to make an interquel to BG in the shape of Siege of Dragonspear (a great game btw, I'll say it once again. It has its problems, but a great game nonetheless).
    And what happens?
    People complain about every little stupid tiny detail. A bit of it is justified of course, but dear God some people talk about the EEs as if Beamdog literally killed their own mothers.
    There's controversy about... Well, everything, really. Remember Mizhena? Yeah.
    So what happens?
    At a time when D&D is back in the spotlight again (thanks Stranger Things!), freakin' Baldur's Gate III is anounced.
    But wait, what's that?...
    Oh, it's being made by Larian Studios... Not Beamdog, who would've been the obvious choice.
    Let's be honest. I know no one here wants to say the words, but Beamdog were dropped by WotC. Simple as that.
    A shame, but it is what it is.
    Stop blaming the victims.

Now wait a second, this is in the context of a comment about how D&D is more popular than ever. Are those "little stupid tiny details" D&D-related issues, problems with the core gameplay, or are they largely ancillary to the context of pnp-based games?

In other words, if it's as popular a concept as ever, then shouldn't it be easy to offer something people don't have many complaints about?

As far as I can tell, people have complained the least about the games that received the fewest amount of changes, that is, IWD and PS:T. Also both were released a little later and when quite a few of the initial issues with their EE engine were worked out.

Additionally, no games are developed in a vacuum. Were you to look at several studios making top down real-time-with-pause RPGs right now, some of them are clearly being better received than others, and some of them are clearly better equipped to deliver games that are streamlined and/or written and designed the way modern audiences expect games to be (for good or ill). And of course the reasons are all over the place: some are smaller studios releasing glorified betas that are divisive at launch like Pathfinder Kingmaker, others are seemingly lovingly crafted and received quite well like Pillars of Eternity.

At some point someone needs to ask the question, why does one game see people complaining about "every little stupid tiny detail" and another game apparently doesn't? Or if it does, it sees less of it than the other?

I also take issue with the assumption that "Beamdog was dropped," as if an ironclad contract was ripped from their hands and torn in half. It's possible, I suppose. But knowing a little about how these things work, the EEs were probably seen by WotC as glorified HD ports, sort of like how Panic Button has become known as a Nintendo Switch porting house. It's something often done on a game-by-game basis, and not with any underlying assumption of a long term partnership to make ALL the games for that company. It's possible that successes lead to successes, sure. Maybe if Siege had done better they would've gotten to do BG3. But honestly, even beyond Beamdog, the old engine really shows its cracks. I've played Pathfinder Kingmaker and I want BG3 in that engine (sorry Larian). I don't really want BG3 in the EE engine, and that's where their expertise is.

It's a more complicated issue. It's not simply "victim blaming." And I hope you don't take this post as any hate for Beamdog because I've just been playing through the games myself and mostly enjoying them, this is just an examination that the issue is due.
    I am not blaming. I just would like clarity. If anything, I am mad at myself for sticking around.

I post comments like “their is something terribly wrong with these projects” and get told “everything is doing well”.

i see other companies say “they want more rpg’s on their platform in the future” like Phil Spencer of Xbox.
    I read about how popular dnd is now and how much demand their is for a new game.
    Then I look at beamdog and I get told “we didn't lose our license“ and that they just want to try different things.

I have a hard time resolving these points.
    I think my ears are bleeding.

I am not even sure why I come to these forums year after year looking for an iOS update for nwn. Just for a “it’s being worked on” status? Very frustrating.
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,356
    I am glad that NWN is perhaps coming to iOS.

Beamdog didn’t need to make that port of what I know, and could actually choose no to do it. They have instead said they would, but not when. That was not required, but a nice bonus imo. But I am not in a position to demand anything from them.

When faced between the alternatives 1) its not going to be made at all, and 2) its perhaps coming, I am glad that we actually have something to look forward too. If it comes I will be very excited - if not, then I will have to consider my options.

Back in the days I had a Blackberry phone and did not want an iPhone. When I heard that BG was coming for iOS I switched to an iPhone soon thereafter. Didn’t regret the move for a moment.

The iOS versions are always the last in the cycles. It was so with SoD, and it’s the same with NWN apparently. If I can’t wait for the iOS port I can switch to a pc or an android (which should less of hassle when it comes to modding). If I do want to abandon my iPhone, I will just have to wait and hope.

So overall. Beamdog is not required to gives us the port, but will hopefully oblige us. For that I am thankful.
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,356
    Ps. The ask Beamdog thread that is in holding, is not containing any news or info of value - I was a part taker in the discussions and I must say that even I didn’t bring any new info or value to the discussions...
    So I would say you didn’t miss out on anything - my posts included.
  • 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 367
    Could there be a weekly stream again? Or even once per month? 30 minutes?
    1varangian wrote: »
    Could there be a weekly stream again? Or even once per month? 30 minutes?

Unfortunately, no. The reasons stated at http://blog.beamdog.com/2019/01/beamdog-livestreams-update.html are still relevant.

For those who have been missing our streams, I recommend to watch this Trent interview:

https://youtu.be/sbd0JnjBZ_c

https://youtu.be/XETERReynUw

https://youtu.be/BDURydECwJc

https://youtu.be/jtVqFl-Msio

https://youtu.be/c9tqWnZ-mN0
    Ps. The ask Beamdog thread that is in holding, is not containing any news or info of value - I was a part taker in the discussions and I must say that even I didn’t bring any new info or value to the discussions...
    Sorry, no. For me it is this thread that is quite useless in terms of having anything interesting in it. The other thread however did have some useful discussion and debate about the future of Beamdog.
    kanisatha wrote: »
    Sorry, no. For me it is this thread that is quite useless in terms of having anything interesting in it. The other thread however did have some useful discussion and debate about the future of Beamdog.

I did participate, so it must have thought it some kind of interesting - but we didn’t get any where imho.

About the future projects, there is a thread just for that: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/54861/all-you-wanted-to-know-about-the-next-beamdogs-project
    Speculation about future projects should be diverted there.

About the patch cycles this thread (ask Beamdog) has made it abundantly clear that Beamdog will not give us a planned eta or deadline. So we will have to wait, not matter what we think of it.

About the future of the company, this site is hardly the place for such discussions. Foreign investors or current funders might think that what is being said in threads is being endorsed by Beamdog. As a lawyer I wouldn’t recommend any company letting discussion about its future be hosted on their website or a SoMe media. And yes, I am looking at you Elon...

And this is Beamdogs web site. They have absolute right to write what they like, delete what they don’t like or moderate content anyway they see fit. Freedom of speech is a human right, but it governs the state towards its inhabitants - not what privately held companies do on their property.

I think we are given a very large room for manoeuvre on this site - without moderation. We have asked about the patch cycles repeatedly, and have been given a very consistent answer. We will have to wait - I hope the patches come soon, and so does everyone else.
    Ok ... but what does any of this have to do with what I said?
  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    edited November 2019
    @JuliusBorisov - Additional question related to localization.
    Currently, French BG2 localization on console only includes text, whereas initial BG2 was fully localized (And with a very high quality - unlike BG1 where the sound localization is a bit tongue-in-cheeck/messy)

Can we expect to have the new sounds (Eg.: new characters banters) localized as well in the future ?

Otherwise, can we have an option to enable having french sounds for all but the new characters / black pits (As it's been done on BG:EE) ?
    Aranthys wrote: »
    @JuliusBorisov - Additional question related to localization.
    Currently, French BG2 localization on console only includes text, whereas initial BG2 was fully localized (And with a very high quality - unlike BG1 where the sound localization is a bit tongue-in-cheeck/messy)

Can we expect to have the new sounds (Eg.: new characters banters) localized as well in the future ?

Otherwise, can we have an option to enable having french sounds for all but the new characters / black pits (As it's been done on BG:EE) ?

These are questions for @Hurricane as he's our Localization Coordinator.
  • HurricaneHurricane Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 730
    @Aranthys The current goal is to get the French text into the desktop version as well, and I'm planning to work on adding the original French BG2 sounds after the text. But I can't predict if the sounds will come to the console version.
    Aranthys wrote: »
    Unfortunately there are no plans to get the new sounds localized.
  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    @Hurricane - OK, perfect, thank you ! :)
  • ParysParys Member Posts: 205
    @JuliusBorisov Do you have any information about 2.6 patch ETA
    Are we going to get it this year?
    Sadly, we don't have any ETA yet. It's looking increasing likely 2.6 won't be released in 2019.
  • ParysParys Member Posts: 205
    @JuliusBorisov
    That's sad.
    But Would you like to confirm that the Team don't drop the idea to release 2.6 patch and maintain support for BGEE&2EE altogether?
    The 2.6 patch hasn't been dropped.
  • VasculioVasculio Member Posts: 469
    Can you tell us if they are adding more content in this patch that hasn't been talked about yet?