Skip to content

Project Infinity - mod manager for Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape Torment, and EET

Comments

• Swifty_MageeSwifty_Magee Member Posts: 229
    edited May 2022
    One last thing: I managed to bypass turning off Real-Time Protection to get it to work just now!

Right-click the Project Infinity exe file and select "Scan with Microsoft Defender". A window will pop up and the file will be scanned as a Trojan. Windows will then ask what you want to do with the threat. You can then choose to allow the threat permanently. After that, you can then launch Project Infinity as many times as you want while keeping your Real-Time Protection on. Just make sure that both the Project Infinity exe file AND the folder it's located in are in your Exclusions list.

That's a lot to go through for a mod manager. I know the Windows operating systems have always had issues but I'm thinking Project Infinity should have been constructed differently, if possible. Especially as so many people have encountered this specific issue.

Well, if anyone else gets this problem - which seems inevitable - at least they can look at posts like these and hopefully find their solution.
  • BarachielBarachiel Member Posts: 82
    One last thing: I managed to bypass turning off Real-Time Protection to get it to work just now!

Right-click the Project Infinity exe file and select "Scan with Microsoft Defender". A window will pop up and the file will be scanned as a Trojan. Windows will then ask what you want to do with the threat. You can then choose to allow the threat permanently. After that, you can then launch Project Infinity as many times as you want while keeping your Real-Time Protection on.

That's a lot to go through for a mod manager. I know the Windows operating systems have always had issues but I'm thinking Project Infinity should have been constructed differently, if possible. Especially as so many people have encountered this specific issue.

Well, if anyone else gets this problem - which seems inevitable - at least they can look at posts like these and hopefully solve their problems.

I can't get that to stick. I scan the file, it reports a severe threat. I get no popup. I have to go into an Actions pulldown menu and select "Allow". Then nothing happens. ANd I'm doing this on my Win10 laptop now, so it *should* work.
    edited May 2022
    The only thing I can think of is to try to go through these steps if you haven't already:

1. Under Virus & Threat Protection, go to Manage Settings and Add or Remove Exclusions. Set a file exclusion for ProjectInfinity.exe. Set a folder exclusion for the folder ProjectInfinity.exe is in.
    2. Go back to Manage Settings. Under Real-Time Protection, set the feature to OFF.
    3. Try to double-click ProjectInfinity.exe. Hopefully after a few seconds, the program will launch.
    4. If it launches, close out of Project Infinity. Go back to your Virus & Threat Protection window and under Manage Settings, flip Real-Time Protection back ON.
    5. Project Infinity should no longer be able to launch, which is expected.
    6. Right-click on ProjectInfinity.exe and select Scan with Microsoft Defender.
    7. Windows will detect ProjectInfinity.exe as a severe trojan. Allow it to be on your system.
    8. Verify that it's allowed; go back to Virus & Threat Protection and click on Allowed Threats. It should be there. It may be called "Powbr.A!MTB" (that's what it's labelled for me).
    9. Try to launch Project Infinity one more time. If everything is okay, it should launch successfully while your system is protected.

These are the steps I went through to get Project Infinity to finally work. If you followed all these steps and none of it works, I'm officially out of ideas. Maybe restart your laptop? Also make sure that on your laptop, Windows security is the only virus protection you have running. If you have other anti-virus software on your laptop, you'll have to add exceptions for Project Infinity through those programs and I can't help with that.

EDIT: Also make sure that the ProjectInfinity.exe file is NOT in your game directory. It will actually pop up an error message saying it needs to be placed in another folder if that happens. The good news is, if you see that error message you'll at least know that it's technically working!
    The only thing I can think of is to try to go through these steps if you haven't already:

8. Verify that it's allowed; go back to Virus & Threat Protection and click on Allowed Threats. It should be there. It may be called "Powbr.A!MTB" (that's what it's labelled for me).

This is where it fails for me. I can select "Allow" but when I checked "Allowed Threats" it shows "none."

Do you have admin rights on your laptop? If you don't, that might be the hold up. If you do, I'm not sure what's happening.

Maybe try right-clicking and Defender scanning after you've turned Real-Time Protection OFF. That's not how I did it but who knows? You just need to make sure that Windows identifies Project Infinity and is not deleting ProjectInfinity.exe or putting it in quarantine, but it sounds like you've already done that.

If what I just suggested fails, try moving ProjectInfinity.exe to another folder. Then add the exe file and new folder locations to your list of exclusions, turn off Real-Time Protection and try launching Project Infinity again.
    edited May 2022
    Do you have admin rights on your laptop? If you don't, that might be the hold up. If you do, I'm not sure what's happening.

Maybe try right-clicking and Defender scanning after you've turned Real-Time Protection OFF. That's not how I did it but who knows? You just need to make sure that Windows identifies Project Infinity and is not deleting ProjectInfinity.exe or putting it in quarantine, but it sounds like you've already done that.

If what I just suggested fails, try moving ProjectInfinity.exe to another folder. Then add the exe file and new folder locations to your list of exclusions, turn off Real-Time Protection and try launching Project Infinity again.

Yes, I have Admin rights. I finally got the program to run, only for it to consistently whine that my BG2EE install was not a BG2EE install. I verified the steam files, and they all validated, but PI continued to refuse to acknowledge it. I copied the files to a new directory, and re-pointed PI at it. Same problem.

I got home, used the install fix on my home PC and got the program to run, only to throw up an error every time I tried to download a mod.

This is officially not worth it.
  • FrenzgynFrenzgyn Member Posts: 78
    I know it's not a real "workaround" but keep in mind that, at least in Win10, if you install a third-party anti-virus program (I do), it just override Wdefender (at least it should do it automatically), so you're protected without loss of functionality, since just very few antivirus se PI as a threat (check on virustotal or similar).
    edited May 2022
    @Barachiel If you got an error when trying to download/install a mod directly from Project Infinity (clicking on the "Mods" button), you may have to install Git software first. I was having that problem initially; Project Infinity would always throw up an error message about not being able to convert objects into strings, or some such techno-babble. I checked the Infinity Engine discord and I found out that normally Project Infinity installs the component it needs upon launch, but it wasn't doing that for me for some reason. The program you need can be installed here: https://github.com/git-for-windows/git/releases/download/v2.34.1.windows.1/Git-2.34.1-64-bit.exe. Just install that and you should be able to download mod files from the Project Infinity launcher.

As for Project Infinity not recognizing your BGIIEE install, I don't really have advice to fix that. I guess I'll tell you to do what I did: go to the Infinity Engine discord (invite link on the first post of this thread), go to the mod discussion channel and either ask for help or search the channel to see if anyone else had the same problem and found a solution.

I'm sorry none of my previous advice helped you out. I would say to stick with it if you can. I was very frustrated with Project Infinity as a whole a day or two ago, but I would say that if you can get the program to actually work, it's worth it. I'm going through a BGEE playthrough right now with about a dozen mods, and for all it's troubles, Project Infinity was actually a big help with installing everything in the right order. And when mod load issues eventually creeped up, Project Infinity saved me a bunch of time...instead of constantly deleting BGEE files and wasting hours uninstalling/re-installing mods, Project Infinity allowed me to uninstall and re-install all mods at the same time, without needing to mess with original Baldur's Gate EE files.

It definitely saved me hours of hassle. Despite the mod manager itself being a hassle. Hopefully Project Infinity gets a lot more stable and user-friendly as future versions of the program gets released and it leaves it's beta phase.
  • ParleurParleur Member Posts: 1
    ALIEN wrote: »
    @Etamin Thanks, the error you are having is really strange, I will try to reproduce and report back.
    I have exactly the same problem as @Etamin, with the french version of the Game. :/

Did you manage to solve it ?
  • Darigaaz87Darigaaz87 Member Posts: 135
    Hi, I'm trying to launch Project Infinity to mod IWD2, but when I double-click the EXE nothing happens. What could I be doing wrong?
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,270
    @Darigaaz87 Add process and file exclusion to the Windows Defender.
  • Darigaaz87Darigaaz87 Member Posts: 135
    @Darigaaz87 Add process and file exclusion to the Windows Defender.

Thanks, that worked!
    Finally got the thing to run, only to get hit with this when I try to download a mod.

"cannot convert system.object[] to the type "System.string required by parameter 'FilePath'. Specified method not supported."
  • GraionDilachGraionDilach Member Posts: 581
    Just restart the program. During first launch, it doesn't detect properly that it managed to finish downloading git.
    Just restart the program. During first launch, it doesn't detect properly that it managed to finish downloading git.

Finally got this damn thing running! Going through video tutorial linked on the main page, just to make sure everything works. So far, so good. On the EET installation portion. SCS will see to it that takes forever. If this works, then I have to figure out how to create my own installation setup.
  • OlorinielOloriniel Member Posts: 49
    Project Infinity loaded the items I wanted pre-EET just fine, but I'm having difficulty with the EET portion.

I've found Morpheus' repository of Weidu logs, and looking at them helps with putting things in a sensible order. I've watched the video and perused Alien's wiki on github and used the linked RegExr page to try to convert the Weidu log into a Sort Order.

When I import from my sort order spreadsheet, I get the following message:
    //
    // Warning! Unsorted mods exist, please manually adjust install order for all mods below by copy/paste:
    //
    ~EXTRAEXPANDEDENHANCEDENCOUNTERS\EXTRAEXPANDEDENHANCEDENCOUNTERS.TP2~,~#7,// EEEE: Undercity Magma Bulwark Encounter; Red Skeleton-(U.M.B.E.R.S.): 2.0

Thing is, that mod doesn't even show up in the "Install order" field to the left of the "rules" field. And my mods are still in alphabetical order, not the order in my sort order (though most everything does appear to be checked/unchecked properly, I don't notice anything missing save the one above (which has 7 components, only this one being flagged as an issue).

@Oloriniel The "sort order" feature is currently broken, it will be fixed but I'm in the middle of a huge update so it might take a while. Sorry.
    Okay, gotcha.

I decided to try to break up the installation in pieces, to not overwhelm the system. So my first batch was 35 mods. Reviewing the log after completion, the following got skipped:
    Shades of the Sword Coast
    (some) components of the Baldur's Gate Romantic Encounters
    The Darkest Day
    Test your Mettle
    the Expanded Thief Stronghold
    the Expanded Mage Stronghold
    The Longer Road

The one that should have been installed last in that sequence was the Longer Road, after Ascension and before Wheels of Prophecy, so after double-checking that it was in fact checked, I scrolled up the log to see if there were error messages. Nope, no sign that it was even there.

Now I see that Test Your Mettle, which was skipped, is the only one not in a file folder (it's in the IEMOD format). In fact, double-checking, it wasn't imported into the Install Order window from my WEIDU log. The Romantic Encounters I checked manually because I didn't include them in the run that generated said log, also Shades of the Sword Coast. And I'm wondering if TDD's failure had something to do with the TDDz vs TDDv1.14 that it evidently needs some resources from. But I'm not seeing anything exception about the other missing items.

So I tried loading just the ones that got skipped, and this time Shades, TDD, the strongholds and the Longer Road went through. Not Test Your Mettle, not the remaining Romantic Encounters. So I downloaded TYM in the non-IEMOD format, and tried again.

This time I was able to see messages that there was no teen version of most of the RE items being skipped, so there's probably a setting I need to change at the beginning of that mod's install. But then it seemed one of the checked components HAD actually been installed before, so now it's uninstalling everything after it to uninstall it and then reinstall it. Well, it's not like I was expecting to be able to play tonight anyhow....
  • MordekaieMordekaie Member Posts: 269
    The install - uninstall - reinstall thing... while monitoring the installation with PI, i regularly watch the same situation occuring :

A component/mod considered successfully installed is uninstalled and then reinstalled as shown in the following example:

//SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED Under Her Spell
    //
    //WARNING: emad : 3 has encounter errors durring installation, exited with ExitCode =
    //WARNING: unpausing installation will continue from next component.
    //[C:\Zone Bruno\BALDUR\EET Section MODS and TOOLS\ProjectInfinity\Tools\WeiDU\249.00\weidu.exe] WeiDU version 24900
    //Using Language [English]
    //Using .\lang\en_us\dialog.tlk
    //Removing old installation of [Under Her Spell] first ...
    //Will uninstall 20 files for [EMAD\SETUP-EMAD.TP2] component 3.
    //Uninstalled 20 files for [EMAD\SETUP-EMAD.TP2] component 3.
    //SUCCESSFULLY REMOVED OLD [Under Her Spell]
    //Installing [Under Her Spell] [v11]

What is going on ?
    @Mordekaie If you want to install an already installed mod, you need to uninstall it. Otherwise, every component will spike uninstall/reinstall cycle for all mods.
    So I made a lot of progress today! I've got my quest mods in two batches, and finally got them all installed the way I wanted them. Then the NPC mods were in two more batches. Finicky, given how many of them have crossmod content and only a few like Breagar have 'before/after' rules in PI. I think I finally had everything in...and then Faren. Crossmod content has like 40 components! So I found and added the mods that weren't already in my setup, started installing the components that didn't make the cut the first time round...and then the "Romantic Encounters" component made everything all the way back to my first set uninstall because it wanted to uninstall and reinstall something in that file. And in the course of reinstalling, I got a bunch of errors and the whole thing is hosed.

Now my WEIDU log shows that everything's gone, but Project Infinity is still copying, processing, unpacking....
  • raudskeggrraudskeggr Member Posts: 5
    edited May 2022
    Thanks for this, Alien (and all the rest who contributed). I greatly missed the old BWS tool, and this fits the bill, as long as you do your research. It took me a couple afternoons and some trial and error to figure out how to use it properly, but I finally managed to put together an install order that works well (and without error!), with moderately long mod list.

I did have one question, or perhaps a suggestion: Is there a way to disable the rule checking on the install order selector? checking each time I make a change to the install list can cause it to spend a lot of time once you get to have more than a couple dozen mods on it. But I do like to use it as a sort of assisted CSV editor to help select the components within each mod and get the load order right. Maybe a manual toggle, or a button that you click to initiate the rule checking?
  • HillgroveHillgrove Member Posts: 17
    @Oloriniel The "sort order" feature is currently broken, it will be fixed but I'm in the middle of a huge update so it might take a while. Sorry.

wait what? I've been trying to get this program to work properly the last 3 days, and then you say that the feature is currently broken? Is this something that's mentioned anywhere? can I downgrade the program to a version that actually works? and why push an update to live that breaks a needed feature?
    raudskeggr wrote: »
    Thanks for this, Alien (and all the rest who contributed). I greatly missed the old BWS tool, and this fits the bill, as long as you do your research. It took me a couple afternoons and some trial and error to figure out how to use it properly, but I finally managed to put together an install order that works well (and without error!), with moderately long mod list.

I did have one question, or perhaps a suggestion: Is there a way to disable the rule checking on the install order selector? checking each time I make a change to the install list can cause it to spend a lot of time once you get to have more than a couple dozen mods on it. But I do like to use it as a sort of assisted CSV editor to help select the components within each mod and get the load order right. Maybe a manual toggle, or a button that you click to initiate the rule checking?

Thanks! The "rule checking" is already redesigned for the next update, it no longer causes lags during selecting mods at the cost of a single evaluation before installation starts.
  • raudskeggrraudskeggr Member Posts: 5
    edited May 2022
    it no longer causes lags during selecting mods at the cost of a single evaluation before installation starts.

Nice! So I guess my suggestion turned out to be something you were already implementing.

@ALIEN There is a confusion. What i have been noticing and trying to explain is:

Some times when a mod is installed with PI i have noticed something that looks "weird" for me when i check the debug file or read the right window during install (when pausing the install sequence) :

PI informs that the mod has been successfully installled and right away, PI proceeds by its own to uninstall the mod and reinstalls it successfully. Below is an example.

Mordekaie wrote: »
    The install - uninstall - reinstall thing... while monitoring the installation with PI, i regularly watch the same situation occuring :

A component/mod considered successfully installed is uninstalled and then reinstalled as shown in the following example:

//
    //WARNING: emad : 3 has encounter errors durring installation, exited with ExitCode =
    //WARNING: unpausing installation will continue from next component.
    //[C:\Zone Bruno\BALDUR\EET Section MODS and TOOLS\ProjectInfinity\Tools\WeiDU\249.00\weidu.exe] WeiDU version 24900
    //Using .\lang\en_us\dialog.tlk
    //Removing old installation of [Under Her Spell] first ...
    //Will uninstall 20 files for [EMAD\SETUP-EMAD.TP2] component 3.
    //Uninstalled 20 files for [EMAD\SETUP-EMAD.TP2] component 3.
    //SUCCESSFULLY REMOVED OLD [Under Her Spell]

What is going on ?

@Mordekaie You are observing the standard weidu installation routine - if the mod is already installed, weidu will simply reinstall it. When using PI, simply do not install any mod that was installed previously as it spikes weidu uninstallation/reinstallation routine. PI doesn't yet support the uninstallation of single mods, you can only uninstall all of them. So, if you want to uninstall a single mod, you can do this manually but it's just better to restore the game from backup and install everything from scratch.
    @Mordekaie You are observing the standard weidu installation routine - if the mod is already installed, weidu will simply reinstall it. When using PI, simply do not install any mod that was installed previously as it spikes weidu uninstallation/reinstallation routine. PI doesn't yet support the uninstallation of single mods, you can only uninstall all of them. So, if you want to uninstall a single mod, you can do this manually but it's just better to restore the game from backup and install everything from scratch.

I always reinstall the game before starting a new install with PI (with an install sequence). What i am exposiing has nothing to do with a mod previously installed whcih i would try to reinstall.

I had the same situation with only one mod installed on a new vanilla BG2EE. It is like PI is installing the mod and considered the install as successful. Then PI uninstalls that mod before reinstalling it.

• LyingInTheCornfieldLyingInTheCornfield Member Posts: 6
    Hey guys, a question -
    Using "Import WeiDU Log", PI will read the log, detect mods/components/conflicts, and select components automatically -- but how do you generate a proper weidu log??? I have a log from a previous installation, which lists all the components I chose, but it's in the wrong format and doesn't work for "Import WeiDU Log". Is there a special tool you guys are using to generate these logs?
    Mordekaie wrote: »

I always reinstall the game before starting a new install with PI (with an install sequence). What i am exposiing has nothing to do with a mod previously installed whcih i would try to reinstall.

I had the same situation with only one mod installed on a new vanilla BG2EE. It is like PI is installing the mod and considered the install as successful. Then PI uninstalls that mod before reinstalling it.

I cannot reproduce this:
    A8VcbD1.png
    //[C:\Users\ALIEN\Downloads\ProjectInfinity\Tools\WeiDU\249.00\weidu.exe] WeiDU version 24900
    //Using .\lang\pl_pl\dialog.tlk and .\lang\pl_pl\dialogf.tlk
    //Installing [A Z-rated Adventure - an IM4 Non-Entry] [v11]
    //Copying 1 file ...
    //Copying and patching 1 file ...
    //Copying 1 file ...
    //Copying 1 file ...
    //Copying 1 file ...
    //Copying 1 file ...
    //Copying 1 file ...
    //Copying 1 file ...
    //Copying 1 file ...
    //Copying 1 file ...
    //Copying 1 file ...
    //loading 1 tra file
    //Copying 1 file ...
    //Copying 1 file ...
    //Compiling 5 scripts ...
    //Extending game scripts ...
    //Compiling 1 dialogue file ...
    //Appending to files ...
    //Processing quests and journals
    //[.\lang\pl_pl\dialog.tlk] created, 109722 string entries
    //[.\lang\pl_pl\dialogf.tlk] created, 109722 string entries
    //SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED A Z-rated Adventure - an IM4 Non-Entry
    //[C:\Users\ALIEN\Downloads\ProjectInfinity\Tools\WeiDU\249.00\weidu.exe] WeiDU version 24900
    //Installing [The Promise of a Troll] [v11]
    //Copying 1 file ...
    //Compiling 3 scripts ...
    //[.\lang\pl_pl\dialog.tlk] created, 109861 string entries
    //[.\lang\pl_pl\dialogf.tlk] created, 109861 string entries
    //SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED The Promise of a Troll
    //Installing [A Bhaalspawn's Best Friend] [v11]
    //Compiling 3 scripts ...
    //[.\lang\pl_pl\dialog.tlk] created, 110066 string entries
    //[.\lang\pl_pl\dialogf.tlk] created, 110066 string entries
    //SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED A Bhaalspawn's Best Friend
    //Copying 1 file ...
    //Compiling 4 scripts ...
    //[.\lang\pl_pl\dialog.tlk] created, 110224 string entries
    //[.\lang\pl_pl\dialogf.tlk] created, 110224 string entries
    //Installing [Character Medley] [v11]
    //Copying 1 file ...
    //Copying 1 file ...
    //Compiling 13 scripts ...