Skip to content

RP: Winter's Valley-Chapter 1

Comments

• lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    edited July 2019
    Sus'Ann checks the state of the injured again, before they start their descend.
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    The gnome says:

"Wait, my minions! Before you go down the stairs, it's necessary to drop something down that way! Yes! We need to ascertain the height of the staircase, failing which there can be... disastrous consequences! Now, if you have something round and hard... throw it down that way! Yes! And keep your ears open for its sound! Wait... what is banging on that door?" The gnome looks at the door which Lagrord had just closed (and outside which the Drake was, but the gnome doesn't know that), and says: "Ah, a visitor knocking on the door! It would be extremely impolite to keep them waiting! Let me open the door!"

The gnome scampers upto that door and attempts to open it.
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    Sus’Ann finishes checking a still mildly subdued Jirt. His injury will not prevent him from continuing. Garta waves the dwarf away, insisting she is fine.

The party lights their torches and carefully makes their way down the spiral staircase. Their shadows cast long, flitting mirages on the walls and steps. The fading screeches and futile banging of the drake only adds to the ambience.

The spiral staircase ends in a small room with only one exit. The door is smashed and fallen to the side.

The party exits through the door and witness the sight before them.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    "So, there actually ARE sweetrolls down here? Huh."
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    "SWEEEEETROOOOOOLLLLSSS!" cries out the gnome at the sight, and then listening to Colden's warning, he says: "What! How could that be? You are simply paranoid, minion! Now watch, and learn!"

He makes a swift movement of his hands, clicks his fingers, and motions towards a sweetroll on the tracks.
    Gnome casts: Minor Telekinesis
    edited July 2019
    The sergeant golem looks at Colden as the dwarf addresses him. His screaming changes to a polite and proper voice.

"Ahh, good sir," he says obsequiously with a plastic smile, "I am but a simple golem, incapable of most conversation. I am instructed to tell you that I have some pre-programmed responses to specific stimuli, but I doubt any of my answers will satisfy you. One of the most frequent questions I get, however, is in regards to my 'gruffness'. Rest assured, I was programmed that way as part of the tour, for your benefit. My masters thought it would be educational to have me imitate a more barbaric time before fully developed automation. Please rest assured that my 'men' here do not have any feelings and are not in any way mistreated. They do not even perceive my temper or mannerisms at all. Orders are issued to them automatically via Elemental Air Plane's Proprietary Magical Link. If you have any questions, I urge you to wait until the tour has brought you to the gift shop. Thank you so much for visiting Cora's Sugar Manufacturing, and may your life be made sweeter!"

He bows deeply.

Then his demeanor completely changes and he resumes screaming at the other golems at the top of his "lungs".
    edited July 2019
    The Nameless Gnome finishes his spell. One of the sweetrolls flies out of a golem's grip to land squarely in Nameless Gnome's hand. The golem doesn't react and continues on with his "duties" as though nothing had happened.

The sergeant golem screams out, "Look alive, men! Make sure the tourists get the best samples we can give! Your paychecks depend on it!!"

Of course, you can all easily guess that there are no paychecks.

Now that the sweetroll is near you, you can all see that it is so old and dry that it must be like eating plaster. The sugared icing on it is hard as a rock and the bread, once a bright yellow, is now dull and gray. Despite its age, there are no signs of rot or mold.
    Post edited by mashedtaters on
    edited July 2019
    Just then, the yellow plate inside Lagrord's jacket flashes and gives off a small DING!

The head golem turns to Lagrord, his obsequious, painted smile reappearing on his emotionless, red and blue checkered face.

"Ahh, good sir," he begins again, "I'm so glad to see that management heeded my request to send the repair team! May your life be made sweeter!"

Then he stands up straight and an image of a glowing map appears on his chest. He says in a empty, toneless voice, "Damages detected in... sector 1... repairs needed... damages detected in... sector 2... repairs needed... damages detected in... sector 3... repairs needed..." As he speaks, the associated, labeled sectors show up on his map, highlighting the various areas of the complex where damages have been detected. On the side of his chest is a detailed list of the recorded damages in each sector, and they are quite extensive.

He continues like this, reaching "...damages detected in...sector 29... repairs needed..." without any sign of stopping. You don't know how many sectors there are, but you can guess he is likely to list every single one of them. Given the size of the building, you imagine that could be a very long list indeed.
  • ashafetovashafetov Member Posts: 231
    edited July 2019
    Captain Nareth is dumbfoundedly gazing around. This time the amount of inexplicable and sorcery exceeded all limits. Congenital hostility to magic and and everything beyond the 'normal' physical understanding, plunged the captain into an apathy. The only thing he could think about right now is the King's mission.
    " Well .. Master Kladen is the brain of our entire party. I think he understands what he does ... I HOPE, he understands, if only ... "

Naret found nothing better than to fix his helmet, breastplate and gauntlets. He checked the sword and luggage and turned his face to Kefto and Jirt:

" Enough, lads! Whatever it is, prepare yeself for battle... ", he said more for discipline, although he himself understood that their swords and shields would not help much against the spells that permeated this place. Yes and these golems. With their numbers, they will simply crush them, it is worth relying on Colden, and let him do the talking.

Ah, yes, the talking. Nareth is not a communicative person himself and prefers actions rather than words. This is his problem in most cases. He approaches Colden and whispers:

" These infidel artificial humans from a past! I have heard about them. Kept alive by magic, or technology or, Refiner knows, what else! We must be gone soon, I heard, they turn living beings into these.. golems, Master Colden! ", the Nareth's voice shakes and he certainly did not shared Colden's curiosity.
    Post edited by ashafetov on
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Colden has one more question before he leaves the leader golem; "Mr Golem, if I may. Where is the gift shop, can you point us in the right direction?"

He turns and gives Nareth an encouraging wink, sensing Nareth's superstition for all of this.
    The golem just continues to recite where all the damaged sections are. He seems to have not heard Colden at all.
    Colden has no idea what to do or where to go. Of course he cannot let the team understand this, they must remain confident in his ability to lead.. what to do?

"Team, gather up around me. So, let's have a group talk. What do you suggest we do next? I've already made up my mind of the best next course of action, but before I tell you I want to hear you suggestions."

(Ahh.. perfect. Now all I have to do is choose the best one and say I had planned the exact same way. I'm a genius.. )
    edited July 2019
    Nareth clears his throat:

" *Ahem!..* M'Lord Colden! I do insist on continuing our quest! This is indeed a dangerous place and Refiner knows what these.. things are up to. They are weak and broken but easily outnumber us. Folks say, golems are hard to break and destroy. Me men are ready for battle, but Jirt is badly injured.. calm yeself down, mate... and he can not fight that efficiently for a while! We need to move on and pass these halls. We must seek for an exit from these dungeons and continue our mission on the other side. ", unusually long speech confused the captain. He straighten his helmet once more and rubbed his beard.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    "If I may, the golem seems to respond to me, maybe I can get it to show us the closest exit."
    I don't want to bog us down by not posting often. I'll post my action below, but if the party doesn't go with Laggy's suggestion, everyone can safely ignore it. I migh not be able to post again today.

*Lagrord walks up to the seargant golem*

"Golem! My prescence has been requested at the rear exit, but extensive damage blocks the main path. Bring up your map so I may study it!"

Well now, this certainly feels different.
    The golem continues to recite, “...damages detected in... sector 39... repairs needed...”

However, the map enlarged to show your current location. It appears to be interactive. On the side of it, where the damages listed, a line of text shows up.

“There are 4 exits in the building...
    running diagnostics...
    damages detected in...
    Main exit...
    Rear exit...
    Top exit...
    Side exit...
    Please contact emergency evacuation personnel...”

Lagrord inadvertently touched the map and it interacts with his fingers. It zooms in on your current location. It is highlighting between alternating red and yellow, indicating that your current sector is damaged and unsafe for use. You can see the layout of the building from here, but whether or not the areas are or are not actually safe for travel is a mystery, as everywhere appears to be damaged, even where you first entered the complex.

The text then continues:

“Selection:
    1. Main
    2. Diagnostics
    3. Manual
    4. Programming
    5. Log-in”
    Colden nodded at Lagrord's suggestion and quickly says as Laggie walks up to the golem.

"Yes, that was exactly the same course of action I had in mind. Clever my boy! Almost as clever as your old tutor, hehe.. " He ends that sentence with a wink and a smile.
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    Programming and Log-in seems to be intresting choices :)
    edited July 2019
    " Is it object-oriented programming or just scripting? Or maybe some VSL ", asks Nareth. Just joking, he is illiterate and studied Pascal and Visual Basic in college :)

" Oi, me son! What does it say here? Magicka grimoire or what? ", Nareth peaks on the screen. All equipment and gear seems to be completely unfamiliar. The captain was strongly against disturbing Golem Sergeant, but Lagrord's actions were faster and got him unarmed.
    While Lagrord and Nareth checks out the computer, Colden takes one more sweeping gaze around their perimeter, trying to see if anything in particular stands out as interesting. He looks for buttons, items or exit ways etc.