Skip to content

RP: Winter's Valley-Chapter 1

Comments

• ashafetovashafetov Member Posts: 231
    edited June 2019
    Nareth sullenly responds:

" Kings of old, perhaps. The one can hardly meet such halls nowadays... The evil curse of this Winter has changed the World, may the Refiner protect and guide us all. Kefto, shut up and stay alert. " - the captain was certainly not in the mood to discuss architecture and wealth of the days past.

As usual, Nareth felt uneasy in dungeons, either in natural or artificial. We may call it intuition but he sensed evil somewhere deep within. Or maybe it was just an anxiety ? They have the Lorekeeper by their side, he should understand such things. God damned sorcery!
    Post edited by ashafetov on
    mashedtatersThacoBellSkatanRik_Kirtaniya
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    edited June 2019
    I love how Nareth bosses around his soldiers, it’s just awesome!

Kefto, another pointless question getting ready to leap from mouth open wide enough to catch flies, shuts his lips together with a loud clop!

Garta grits her teeth, either against the pain of the awkward position Kefto carelessly let her down in or in an effort to warn off bad spirit, you can’t tell which. “Where do we go, oh nameless gnome?” she asks, her teeth still clenched.

Kefto quickly picks up his side of the stretcher. He looks rather sheepishly at Jirt who is eyeing the gnome apprehensively. It seems strange to many of you that a babbling, bossy gnome would make one as flippant as Jirt nervous. It is undeniable, though.
    ThacoBellashafetovSkatanRik_Kirtaniya
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    edited June 2019
    Colden stands in awe, embracing the magnificent sight. His eyes are large as mead kegs as he let his gaze sweep from side to side, taking it all in. He says nothing, just stands there in silence for a while. He hears Kefto, Nareth and Garta speaking but doesn't really listen to them.

He comes to his senses after a while and turn to the gnome. "So.. there are more than one way ahead. Which one is the right one?"
    Edit: spelling
    mashedtatersRik_KirtaniyaThacoBellashafetov
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    Sorry for not replying earlier.

The gnome seems to finally heed the words of his minions.

"We will go through one of the side passageways. There is always something there that is necessary for safely passing through the main path, for the naughty automatons have set up all kinds of silly antics all over the place. You don't want to be retracing your steps every now and then, right? Then heed my words. However, since you are new here, I'll let you choose the path you want to go out of these three side paths. But, do not go down the main path now, no, not at the moment!"
    mashedtatersSkatanThacoBellashafetov
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    We don't have a thief, do we?
    ashafetovSkatanmashedtatersRik_Kirtaniya
    edited June 2019
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    Don’t worry about who is and who is not a thief. I believe I communicated to all of you separately that there will not be negative consequences for failing to fill the standard D&D four classes (thief, fighter, cleric, mage)

It’s one of many reasons I stipulated that you don’t share your classes with each other: i didn’t want you to “take the class no one else wanted.” This isn’t a typical general-built D&D campaign module where every class’s abilities is represented to help each player feel useful. I’m writing the challenges on the fly based on your character’s personalities and abilities.

In other words, just a reminder to not worry and have fun with it.
    SkatanRik_KirtaniyaashafetovThacoBell
    ThacoBell wrote: »

Huh, aren't you a thief!? hahaha, I was sending you to check for traps at the door etc! :D:D
    mashedtatersRik_KirtaniyaashafetovThacoBell
    "Very well, let's check out the closest, small room first. I'll go ahead and check, I've got some skills I've read about that might come in handy.. Anyone care to back me up?"

With this said, Colden approaches the closest room, his eyes sweeping back and forth, up and down, in search of traps or other dangerous things..

(.. and though he hardly admits it to himself, also for.. gold. )
    mashedtatersRik_KirtaniyaashafetovThacoBell
    edited June 2019
    Colden leads the group into the closest room. The light from the broken windows outside does not reach in here.

Your spitting torches cast flickering shadows and a warm glow on a gray stone floor and walls. Flooding damage has reached this room as well, slightly over head height to a dwarf. The room is square shaped with a chest high booth, similar to the one in the main room, that runs along the walls. The remnants of several stools, crumbled and chewed on by age and flooding, are scattered around the room. None of you see any traps or anything else that looks out of place.

Colden's dwarven sense of direction tells him that directly on the other side of the wall in front of you is the hallway you just came down, where the entrance lies. Now that you are looking more closely, you can see that the stone wall between this room and the entrance appears to be some sort of stone window shutter which can be slid open and shut on old rusted wheels. There is a pane of cracked glass on this side of the stone window shutter.

On the booth is what looks to be a small chest, though it is not one like any you have seen. It is made of some strange metal and is a little larger than a jewelry box. Despite the flooding that has reached it, there is no rust on it.
    Rik_KirtaniyaashafetovSkatanThacoBell
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    The gnome adjusts his visual contraption, flows one hand down his beard, and speaks to Colden:

"Well, my minion, you have not made a bad choice, but it looks like there's nothing useful here. That toy box, well, it's a toy box. You may keep it if you want to play with it. Yes? I know you need something to keep you engaged on this picnic trip."
    ashafetovSkatanThacoBellmashedtaters
    edited June 2019
    Nareth makes a warning gesture with his hand and whispers Colden:

" Careful, Master Colden! It is not known what traps and dangers lie ahead. The chest might be trapped... Or cursed! Or both! Let me go first... ", he follows Colden further, trying to cover his right flank.

" I sense the dark magic everywhere around! Unusual, unknown and evil sorcery, indeed! "

Is it his sharpened senses? Or is this just a simple phobia of magic, that became worse in years? Nareth did not know. He covers himself with a round shield and moves forward with his sword at the ready.
    SkatanThacoBellmashedtatersRik_Kirtaniya
    "Nareth, I applaud your diligence, but my eyes and wits are well adjusted for this search and I neither see nor sense anything dangerous. Hmm.. this box may contain something we need, let's check it out."

Colden moves to the small box and starts to fiddle with it, trying to open it. Taking it very carefully, both to not damage it and to make sure there's no spring traps or worse, magic seals, protecting it. He tries to sense for magical energies, being an avid reader of the arcane and a novice practitioner himself, he believes he should be able to identify if there is.
    ThacoBellashafetovmashedtatersRik_Kirtaniya
    edited June 2019
    Nareth puts his sword down:
    " A simple dull wooden crate it is. Maybe you are right, M'Lord Colden. "
    SkatanThacoBellmashedtatersRik_Kirtaniya
    edited June 2019
    The box opens fairly easily without any squeaking. It is about 1/4 full of what looks like water in the twinkling torchlight.

There are 3 identical red square plates within the box. They are about the width of a pane of glass. There are strange looking arcane patterns on each of them and a circular, fine steel chain attached to each of them.

Written on each of them in bold, golden letters is the word:

VISITOR
    Rik_KirtaniyaashafetovSkatanThacoBell
    Colden ignores Nareth's superstitions and swipes the red plates into a pocket. "Who know, they might come in handy in the future. Perhaps it's some kind of old currency or even jewelry from the past? They don't look very fancy though, but I can't identify the material they are made off.. Humm.. I must ponder on this. " Colden hides his exaltation, but he's in his prime now - adventuring, finding new and interesting objects. He already has enough material for one book, nay TWO books, and they had only just begun!

"Let's take a look at the next passage way. Let's follow the gnome's advice and leave the main hallway to last. "
    ashafetovThacoBellRik_Kirtaniyalolien