Skip to content

My opinion on the TB/RtwP ; BG3/P:K/PoE debate

Comments

• BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    I think that's a subjective take, although completely valid.
  • spacejawsspacejaws Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 389
    edited March 2020
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    Interestingly, shift between rtwp and a more active system is reversed for jrpgs. They are moving away from tb while western ones are moving towards.

Even funnier, my preference also flips between the two genres. I actually prefer tb the way jrpgs implement it, and real time the way western games implement it.

My problem is when JRPGs go from turn based to action they usually lose the unqiue stuff that differentiates them in the TB space and become kinda spammy action. I played FF7 Remake pretty much the same way I played FFXV.

For the big Turn Based Western rpgs right now I have the same feeling where a lot of them play similar, more like a strategy game. If there was a fantasy Western rpg that tried a different kind of TB combat that maybe doesn't emphasis movement, positioning behind cover and spending turns running up to enemies or sctions like reloading too much I'd be all for it. I am way more interested in The Bards Tale and Banner Saga than I am Wasteland 3 for instance cause they sre just a little different from the status quo right now.

Its kinda hard for me to explain, because they do have nuances from each other, but after Wasteland 2 which I loved I started seeing that DNA in lots of the new crpgs.
    Post edited by spacejaws on
  • shabadooshabadoo Member Posts: 324
    For me it's a bit different. I like the maneuvering and approach aspects of games. But I'm an old wargamer, brought up on such things. That's probably also why I prefer TB, it's just how learned to play from the beginning. Position, terrain, who to move where and when, are critical aspects of battle. Though not necessarily of games. Balancing tactical flexibility with smooth and adequately paced gameplay seems to be problematic for a lot of developers. RTwP doesn't speed things up really, but it does keep the player engaged. Either issuing commands, or watching them carried out. Waiting for the ai in TB can be boring to watch, but keeps things organized for the player. What I mean is that it's easier to time the movements and actions of each character without having them waste a round because an order was a heartbeat late.
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    edited March 2020
    Owlcat and Larian praising other's projects is because SP RPG's are different than mmos. With mmos, wow players or only plays wow or only eso BUT with CRPG, people generally plays a large catalog of CRPG's.

RPG codex has a list with the top 100 RPG's https://rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=11193

About rtwp vs tb, i prefer rtwp for large scale battles and tb for small scales battle.
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    I'd pretty much ignore developers praising each other games. It's just the pragmatic thing to do, after all you never knew in what studio you are going to work tomorrow. More instructive to see what they name as their favorite games if you ask them.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Real-time is therefore the natural translation of the tabletop game applied to its full intention with computers. And the pause element enables the tactical instructions to be implemented at each player's own pace. It's the perfect means of implementation IMO and that's why Owlcat are now basically the last (current) hope. Once they start pandering to turn-based tyrants the genre will be dead until another developer picks up the reins again.

Speaking as a tabletop RPG designer, this is nonsense. Real time with pause is certainly an option available to computers, consoles, etc. that isn't nearly as available to tabletop games, but your claim that real time with pause reflects the "true intentions" behind tabletop game design is completely false. There is no such "true intention." People set out to design games that are fun and use the tools available for them in the media they work with. Not all the tools in every case, but TB is just as valid a design choice as real time with pause.

Also, I can name two tabletop (not RPGs) games that have simultaneous turns for all players and another game that doesn't have distinct turns for anyone, in which you can react in real time to what your opponent is doing.

Shadowrift and Spirit Island have a distinct "turn" for players, but all players act in the same turn. Federation Commander allows for real time responses to opponent actions and doesn't have distinct player turns at all.

This is all a false dichotomy, and there is no platonic ideal of a tabletop game in which everything would ideally be "real time." It's fine to want real time CRPGs but to assert that anyone who is fine with turn-based or even prefers it is some nefarious "tyrant" trying to destroy an authentic CRPG experience is some pretty weird stuff to say out loud.
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    There's a lot of "TB tyrants" and "War on RTwP" kind of talk in here that doesnt contribute meaningfully to the conversation.

That is coming from someone who likes TB, but prefers RTwP.

I also agree @BelleSorciere that there is no "true intention" or correct combat style for replicating tabletop. There are arguments for both, but no objective standard by which to judge them.
    edited March 2020
    I haven't got a clue what you are talking about. The intention I was talking about is how to translate a real time combat round into a system. In tabletop you have to do it turn-based so people can speak in turns rather than altogether. In a CRPG you can do it in real time because you don't need to ask a load of different people what they want to do.

I meant this, the paragraph I quoted from your post:
    Real-time is therefore the natural translation of the tabletop game applied to its full intention with computers. And the pause element enables the tactical instructions to be implemented at each player's own pace. It's the perfect means of implementation IMO and that's why Owlcat are now basically the last (current) hope. Once they start pandering to turn-based tyrants the genre will be dead until another developer picks up the reins again.

There's no such thing as a "natural translation of the tabletop game applied to its full intention with computers."

How about, tabletop RPG design reflects what the designers intended (hopefully modified through playtesting) and CRPG design reflects what those designers intended (hopefully modified through beta testing). A translation from one medium to another does not necessarily reflect anyone's "full intentions."

RTwP isn't objectively the superior option and trying to create an experience closer to the tabletop isn't inherently inauthentic or inferior. It's simply a different philosophy in game design. Turn-based and real-time with pause are both valid design choices, and both have benefits and drawbacks.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Reading a few last comments here, I urge to reread my OP. It seems the discussion sooner or later again comes down to the "x mode" is better subject.
    It seems the biggest concern is mode x. I haven't seen a comment about the latest info and gossip in some days.
    Have I mentioned that I'm just going wait and see. Either I'll be blown away or I threw away few bucks.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Uhm.. What browbeating? Why are you quoting things that weren't actually said here? Julius was just commenting on the inevitable thread drift. Or, more exactly, how it has focused on the singular aspect of TB v. RTwP. Which, by the way, you opened the door to in your OP Julius.
    Also, if I've " TB bullied" anyone, I apologize. I can get a bit emotional about silly things on occasion, no bullying was ever intended.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Reading a few last comments here, I urge to reread my OP. It seems the discussion sooner or later again comes down to the "x mode" is better subject.

You should consider whether you might simply not be appreciating the point of view of the people who have a strong preference. That's why I suggest you might try to adjust your perspective to see it as more a a difference between "mode x" and "mode y," but rather as a difference between game genres. It is not a small detail, but a major difference in the structure of gameplay. You may not care but others do. I don't see the point of browbeating people for "not supporting each other" just because they have a preference when you do not.

I can and I have a preference, it's TB games. I enjoy RtwP games as well. But my preference is not allowing people to go war on each other because they think their favourite genre is not getting games. Not only it IS getting games, it will also get more games in the future. Eg. RtwP demands are quite clear, and I'm sure P:WotR won't be the last game which tries to provide a fun RtwP game.
  • spacejawsspacejaws Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 389
    edited March 2020
    Honestly though with Pathfinder WotR there was an outcry at the announcement that it 'must' be turn based. Fact that it's a selectable mode is great but with the current trends I'd be very suprised if any devs wanting to make a RtwP game don't get 'encouraged' to make it Turn Based instead.

Here on out RtwP games are going to be relegated to indies or heavy on the action side ala FFVII returns. Genre seems dead no one wants it or at least that's the way it seems.
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    spacejaws wrote: »
    Honestly though with Pathfinder WotR there was an outcry at the announcement that it 'must' be turn based. Fact that it's a selectable mode is great but with the current trends I'd be very suprised if any devs wanting to make a RtwP game don't get 'encouraged' to make it Turn Based instead.

Precisely. And this is what I have on occasion referred to as TB bullying. Strong language? Yes absolutely. But entirely appropriate and justified imho.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Mostly agree with @subtledoctor , his overarching point about the game being fundamentally different is true, but I wouldn't call BG1/2 RTS games. The rtwp mechanic definitely borrowed from the RTS genre, but I'd argue they are still solidly rpgs. I'd have a hard time arguing that any game that doesn't have base building or army control as its main mechanic. Not to mention that no rts lets you issue orders while the game is paused.
    kanisatha wrote: »

Precisely. And this is what I have on occasion referred to as TB bullying. Strong language? Yes absolutely. But entirely appropriate and justified imho.

How is that different from the outcry that Baldur's Gate 3 must be RTwP?
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

Because rtwp games are the minority. Also, BG 1 and 2 were rtwp, so a non rtwp game will be fundamentally different and not feel like the same series.
    I can understand how some people feel cheated. They've waited a l-o-o-o-ng time for BG3, get excited about it happening, then learn that it will be essentially a different kind of rpg with the BG name only. I think if it was called BG: *witty subtitle*, there would less anger over it being TB.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    I wouldn't care if they called it Apventure to Atlantis 2 as long as it's a good game...
    ThacoBell wrote: »

Because rtwp games are the minority. Also, BG 1 and 2 were rtwp, so a non rtwp game will be fundamentally different and not feel like the same series.

I don't see how those particular distinctions matter to what I asked, though?

Also, that second sentence is entirely subjective.

IS different because BG1/2 was RTWP. I don't expect DOS3 to be turn based nor if someone decides to make ToEE 2 to be real time with pause.

Anyway, here is a list of the best RPG of all times from RPG codex and i agree with most points https://rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=11193
    • There are amazing turn based games eg - ToEE
    • There are amazing real time with pause games eg - BG1/2
    • There are amazing real time games eg - Gothic/VtMB
    • There are amazing games who allow you to chose between the combat style eg M&M VI~VIII and Arcanum

I would prefer if BG3 followed the sequel(BG2) but i will not hate a game only because is real time, or turn based.
    edited March 2020
    So it's bullying if it's TB but it's only good natured advice when it's RTwP? I don't buy it. Precedent doesn't make bullying okay, but maybe - just maybe - it's not bullying unless it involves actual harassment and not just, you know, disagreement over a game mechanic.
    edited March 2020
    No, is not. Is just the idea the a game needs to follow the footsteps of the predecessor. My first gaming disappointment was when i played Heretic 1 as a child, loved the agme and when i purchased Heretic 2, it become a third person game more focused on platforming ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heretic_II ) I loved crash as a child(Despite being awful) but when i play heretic, i wanna play a "doom with magic" game...

Why not give the option? To choose between RTWP and TB?

If Gothic 3 was launched in first person only, the game would be more hated than he already is due being unfinished exactly because G1/2 are third person games. G3 gave the OPTION to play in first person. And that is how a game should be. Offers more than the predecessor, not different things or less. Imagine if Blizzard announces a world of warcraft 2 game who is extremely similar to ultima online...

I don't wanna create a topic only for this but i an really curious. Lv 20 hellfire warlock on D&D 3.5e vs lv 20 Winter Witch on Pathfinder. Who would win?
  • SatrhanSatrhan Member Posts: 75
    Some very good points here. I can enjoy both types of games just fine, I had a lot of fun with XCOM and the banner saga games on the turn based side, and Baldur's gate and PoE on the other.
    But I have to agree that turn based rpg's can start feeling like a slog, especially the modern ones like @megamike15 said above.
    And as @Ammar pointed out, the continuous setting up of (environmental) combos just becomes something you do every single battle, rather than having it be a fun and memorable opportunity that arises every once in a while.

One thing I'm missing in this debate is sort of the middle ground between turn based and rtwp, but it's hardly ever been done in a game; simultaneous turns. So the game pauses at regular intervals, and both sides get to plan their actions, but you can't be exactly certain of what the other side is going to do.
    It eliminates a lot of the weirdness of turn based games, still gives you time to think and plan your actions, and every time you commit your plan there is an exciting moment where you can only sit back and watch to see if your plan pays off, and if you anticipated correctly what the enemy would do.
    I'd love to see some games implementing that, but like I said it's hardly ever been done.