Skip to content

My opinion on the TB/RtwP ; BG3/P:K/PoE debate

Comments

• WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    edited May 2020
    I also agree with sorcvictor. A truly faithful implementation of DnD works wonders and has a deep pool of mechanics to draw from. Something like an updated ToEE engine could be used as the source to bring many of the truly great PnP campaigns out there into the computer screen, with a good deal of accuracy.

I don't know about you guys, but I want to experience the fight with epic level Lareth the Beautiful and his companions that goes down in one of the 3.5 campaigns against Tharizdun.
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    DinoDin wrote: »
    jjstraka34 wrote: »
    I don't even see where it's a "debate" at all. As far as I can tell, there aren't even a dozen real-time with pause isometric RPGs in existence. You have Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, Icewind Dale 1 and 2, Planescape: Torment, Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader and the recent Tower of Time. That's it. If you want to get cute, you can throw in Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2 and Dragon Age: Origins, since even though they are 3D, they still have the same basic concepts.

Agreed. This is why I've never understood anybody that insists on realtime. There's so few realtime tactical RPG's out there, that you're really shortchanging yourself if you refuse to play turn-based ones.

It's the height of arrogance to tell people they should give up their preference and change their preference to something else because that's the preference other people have. I will rather not have any games to play than stoop to playing a trash TB game.

Besides, there are a lot more RT games available to play if one moves away from only isometric games, for example third-person action RPGs. And again, I would much rather deviate from isometric, old-school RPGs to action RPGs than accept TB games.
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    kanisatha wrote: »
    I don't even see where it's a "debate" at all. As far as I can tell, there aren't even a dozen real-time with pause isometric RPGs in existence. You have Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, Icewind Dale 1 and 2, Planescape: Torment, Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader and the recent Tower of Time. That's it. If you want to get cute, you can throw in Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2 and Dragon Age: Origins, since even though they are 3D, they still have the same basic concepts.

Agreed. This is why I've never understood anybody that insists on realtime. There's so few realtime tactical RPG's out there, that you're really shortchanging yourself if you refuse to play turn-based ones.

It's the height of arrogance to tell people they should give up their preference and change their preference to something else because that's the preference other people have. I will rather not have any games to play than stoop to playing a trash TB game.

Besides, there are a lot more RT games available to play if one moves away from only isometric games, for example third-person action RPGs. And again, I would much rather deviate from isometric, old-school RPGs to action RPGs than accept TB games.

Jesus christ, that's truly... sad ? And extreme. I don't get it, though. There are good TB games and there are bad TB games, the same with RTwP. For example I love BG, but PoE1 is meh for me. I like DoS2, but not so much ToEE. It's all about story and characters for me. That is the rpg essence in my book. The game mechanics it's just a nice addition, it's good when it just not get in the way.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850

I had no idea there was such hatred for turn-based video games until I encountered this forum. There wasn't a "real-time" RPG in existence til 1987's Dungeon Master.
    Well, up until I played D:OS I did not have a hatred for TB combat. I disliked it, and strongly preferred RTwP, but was still open to it. For example, I actually liked T:ToN despite its silly TB combat system. So my current state of mind hating TB can be blamed entirely on D:OS. Maybe if I eventually come across a TB game that I don't hate so much, my feelings about TB combat will go back to what it was before.

As a related side-note, I dislike RT (without pause) almost as much as TB.

I had no idea there was such hatred for turn-based video games until I encountered this forum. There wasn't a "real-time" RPG in existence til 1987's Dungeon Master.

But isn't that precisely because we didn't yet have the technology to properly do real time games until then? And then we got to a point in technology where it became possible. Which is exactly why I don't understand why anyone would want to do TB. To me, it's the equivalent of insisting on/preferring using oil lamps in the face of electricity.
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    Well, up until I played D:OS I did not have a hatred for TB combat. I disliked it, and strongly preferred RTwP, but was still open to it. For example, I actually liked T:ToN despite its silly TB combat system. So my current state of mind hating TB can be blamed entirely on D:OS. Maybe if I eventually come across a TB game that I don't hate so much, my feelings about TB combat will go back to what it was before.

As a related side-note, I dislike RT (without pause) almost as much as TB.

If I go by this logic, I would refuse to play any open world game after not falling in love with GTA 5 and would miss RDR2, the greatest gaming experience I've ever had.
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    Cahir wrote: »
    (...)I like DoS2, but not so much ToEE. It's all about story and characters for me. That is the rpg essence in my book. The game mechanics it's just a nice addition, it's good when it just not get in the way.

I like story too but i wonder why making a RPG when the game mechanics contradicts the game lore/story. And love when the game mechanics doesn't try to break my suspension of disbelief every time with archers that can't hit enemies at 14m, cooldowns, axe wielding monsters that drops maces and non used gear, etc. ToEE is amazing partially due the atmosphere.

As for Turn Based, BEFORE i have played ToEE, Dark Sun Shattered Lands and other amazing TB RPG's, i had a bias against turn based games. And was partially due Wizardry 8 with extremely slow animations and large scale encounters.
    Cahir wrote: »
    (...)I like DoS2, but not so much ToEE. It's all about story and characters for me. That is the rpg essence in my book. The game mechanics it's just a nice addition, it's good when it just not get in the way.

I like story too but i wonder why making a RPG when the game mechanics contradicts the game lore/story. And love when the game mechanics doesn't try to break my suspension of disbelief every time with archers that can't hit enemies at 14m, cooldowns, axe wielding monsters that drops maces and non used gear, etc. ToEE is amazing partially due the atmosphere.

As for Turn Based, BEFORE i have played ToEE, Dark Sun Shattered Lands and other amazing TB RPG's, i had a bias against turn based games. And was partially due Wizardry 8 with extremely slow animations and large scale encounters.

There is a mod that deals with the speed of the encounters in Wizardry 8. Wizfast.
  • Ludwig_IILudwig_II Member Posts: 369
    Turn Based is an abstraction, and it is used purely due to inability/inconvenience to present Real Time. It is an abstraction to simulate Real Time. Both technology limitations, game environment limitations, P&P limitations, and other limitations cause it to become convenient.

You can prefer to play a Turn Based game of course, who am I to tell you what you can prefer. However, games are already simulations, if we can make it as real as possible in terms of mechanics it is more engaging for me. I like some games even though they are turn based, not because they are turn based. That shows how awesome the other things related to that game are.

Turn based makes the most sense when it is a strategy game, as you probably need to control too many things at the same time and it might be hard to do so in real time. Turn Based in an RPG is ridiculous in this technology in my opinion. And I stress ‘in my opinion’ part.

I just can’t feel engaged in a game where we wait for the monster ‘Ok you attack me now. Then I smash your skull’. We might as well convince the monster to play chess with us to decide who will live. Like magic the gathering, you meet the monster and start playing cards with it to decide who dies.
    I'm not a tabletop player (though I certainly read the source material for it). And correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm PRETTY certain everyone in the group and the dungeon master aren't all just yelling commands and spells and throwing dice simultaneously. And what the MOST celebrated CRPGs of all-time (Fallout, Baldur's Gate, VtMB etc.) get praised for is how accurately they simulate a tabletop experience. That has always been the ultimate goal of the most high-minded games.
    I'm not a tabletop player (though I certainly read the source material for it). And correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm PRETTY certain everyone in the group and the dungeon master aren't all just yelling commands and spells and throwing dice simultaneously. And what the MOST celebrated CRPGs of all-time (Fallout, Baldur's Gate, VtMB etc.) get praised for is how accurately they simulate a tabletop experience. That has always been the ultimate goal of the most high-minded games.

Nor a player playing 4~6 characters simultaneously... A PC can process 50+ unities actions in a fraction of a second. A human DM can't. I love TBRPG but really believe that a turn based game needs to have options to speed up animations and concurrent turns.

Dark Sun : Shattered Lands(1993) allowed me to skip animations. Why games such as dos2 can't allow me to do that?

Tabletop is already an abstraction, a simulation of how events would have happened in real time. It is there due to limitations. When you try to simulate tabletop by making a turn based game, it is another level of abstraction on top of that. It makes more sense to me to try to simulate real time, in a better way than tabletop if possible. And it is definitely possible, because most of the limitations table-top has can be overcome in this technology in a single player game.
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,570
    Ludwig_II wrote: »
    Turn Based is an abstraction, and it is used purely due to inability/inconvenience to present Real Time. It is an abstraction to simulate Real Time. Both technology limitations, game environment limitations, P&P limitations, and other limitations cause it to become convenient.

You can prefer to play a Turn Based game of course, who am I to tell you what you can prefer. However, games are already simulations, if we can make it as real as possible in terms of mechanics it is more engaging for me. I like some games even though they are turn based, not because they are turn based. That shows how awesome the other things related to that game are.

Turn based makes the most sense when it is a strategy game, as you probably need to control too many things at the same time and it might be hard to do so in real time. Turn Based in an RPG is ridiculous in this technology in my opinion. And I stress ‘in my opinion’ part.

I just can’t feel engaged in a game where we wait for the monster ‘Ok you attack me now. Then I smash your skull’. We might as well convince the monster to play chess with us to decide who will live. Like magic the gathering, you meet the monster and start playing cards with it to decide who dies.

All games contain elements that are abstractions though. Dice rolls, random number generators, even BG's "realtime" combat was using turn-based rules, again, an abstraction.
    edited May 2020

Being willing to play and enjoy turn-based games is not giving up a preference. Again, if you want games that focus on tactical/strategic puzzle solving, the overwhelming majority of those games are turn-based. You are literally, mathematically, short-changing yourself if you write them off as inferior. And games like Baldur's Gate, PoE, etc, still fall under strategic puzzle solving. They're not Dark Souls or Diablo, despite being RPG's.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

Late to this, but Tower’s of Time isn’t a RtwP game, it is more of a Tower Defense game. The developers designed it so the player could slow down time but added the option to pause it later in development.

But combat is on a separate map, enemies come at you in waves that you need to defeat and you only need one hero alive at the end of combat to beat it. Your heroes always get fully restored for the next battle. It is nothing like the other RTwP games you have listed here.

Yes, because when you have a group of humans around a table, the ONLY way you can play a game - any game for that matter - is by taking turns. It is a limitation of the medium through which that game is being played. The moment you move that game to a computer, and especially today's computers, you no longer have that limitation because your gaming medium has now changed. So why continue to maintain that limitation when you no longer HAVE to do so?

In a tabletop setting you have to use turns. You have no other choice. In a video game, you no longer have to limit yourself to taking turns. There are other, better ways to play the game. So why regress back to that old and limiting way of playing the game? This is how I see it.

Being willing to play and enjoy turn-based games is not giving up a preference. Again, if you want games that focus on tactical/strategic puzzle solving, the overwhelming majority of those games are turn-based. You are literally, mathematically, short-changing yourself if you write them off as inferior. And games like Baldur's Gate, PoE, etc, still fall under strategic puzzle solving. They're not Dark Souls or Diablo, despite being RPG's.

A game does not need to be TB to have tactical/strategic puzzle solving. TB is specifically for combat, which imo is NOT puzzle solving.

As @Ludwig_II pointed out, in a true strategic combat game, I can accept TB combat because there can literally be hundreds, even thousands of units in play. A game like Civilization is a good example of this. But TB has absolutely no place in an RPG if the RP truly stands for role-playing.

I think one of the best things to happen to the RPG genre in recent years is the advent of RPGs that have no combat in them. If getting rid of combat altogether is what needs to happen for the turns mechanic to go away, I am so rooting for no combat RPGs.
    The combat in BG, PoE, is indeed puzzle-solving. It's strategy/tactics, hence the phrase "wizard chess" for BG2 battles. You don't get better at BG's combat by having fast reflexes or excellent button execution. You get better via strategy/tactics, that's what the game is challenging the player on.
    Also just want to add that saying "TB has not place in RPG's" is just a weird thing to say given that's how pretty much all tabletop games function. And I also fail to see how turn-based is breaking of "true RP" but a pause button isnt.
    edited May 2020
    The Infinity Engine games are still running on turns or rounds. They are just on an internal clock instead of sitting there infinitely waiting for you to make a decision. However, you are able to manipulate how QUICKLY those turns go, right down to the millisecond if you'd like. Now, it offers you the OPTION to just set 5 of your other characters to an AI script so the entire things just runs itself if you let if proceed. I frankly NEVER play this way, so it's not an issue for me. I don't think I've done a single fight in a RTwP game where I haven't individually laid out commands for every party member. I mean, is this just a speed thing?? Do people want to be done quicker?? I enjoy making these games last as long as possible.
    Well, i an neutral about turn based and real time with pause. But BG3 being turn based is good because Larian is experienced with turn based. My unique fear is if they don't follow the rules
    I enjoy making these games last as long as possible.

Well, i don't like spell/arrow/hit sponge enemies. Making a game longer due replay ability, choice and consequence, engaging dungeon, different builds changing how you approach to a determined situation, etc.
    edited May 2020
    What you guys are missing to note is that all of your examples you are using are just abstractions to simulate real life combat. Board games turns, D&D turns etc. They are solutions to how to simulate real life combat.

Turn based is already an abstraction, all board games utilise it to avoid chaos. That's for convenience, due to the limitation of the board game medium. Same with P&P.

If we don't have this limitation anymore, and if we don't need this convenience, then there is no point in enforcing it upon ourselves. I'd rather play a game with more realistic game mechanics if it's possible and convenient to do so. If not, then sure I'll go with the convenient way, TB, RTwP, or whatever else.

jjstraka34, it's not a speed thing. I prefer RTwP, because the flow of the game is much more closer to real life, thus more realistic and engaging for me. In addition, it provides the convenience of controlling multiple characters by pausing, which is a solution to simulate those characters deciding what to do themselves at that point. Turn Based is an additional artificial layer of abstraction, and not realistic. So if I can avoid it, I will. If I'm playing a board game, I probably can't avoid it, thus the expected outcome.
    Post edited by Ludwig_II on
    But none of that was the core of the experience. The core of the fun was the social interaction with friends. It was something we all enjoyed in common, and spent most of our free time doing. We bonded over imaginary experiences that happened in the game. Sometimes we would even slip up and call each other by our character's names outside the game, especially those of us who were acquaintances only through the game, rather than close friends. Some of the guys I knew, who were outside my immediate circle of close friends, used to laugh with me when they would call me my character's name, and then have to say, "Wait, what was your real name, again? I only know you from the game."

I agree with this part. I hear TB supporters often saying that they want a game to "recreate the tabletop/PnP experience" as their way of justifying TB. For me that's a BS argument, because the only part of the tabletop experience that holds any interest for me is what you are saying here: the social interaction and cameraderie of friends including eating pizza, drinking beer and cracking jokes. But these things are precisely what can never be recreated by a video game. Recreating the experience of rolling dice and taking turns is rather meaningless.
    Also just want to add that saying "TB has not place in RPG's" is just a weird thing to say given that's how pretty much all tabletop games function. And I also fail to see how turn-based is breaking of "true RP" but a pause button isnt.

To repeat, I don't care one bit how tabletop games play. As far as I am concerned, it is completely irrelevant. We are talking about video games here, and it was very obviously implied that I was talking about computer RPGs and not RPGs generally.
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659

To repeat, I don't care one bit how tabletop games play. As far as I am concerned, it is completely irrelevant. We are talking about video games here, and it was very obviously implied that I was talking about computer RPGs and not RPGs generally.

That's fine, but it isnt irrelevant to other people - and their opinions are just as valued as your own.

A Good game > RTwP/TB.

Lastly - I generally agree with @BelgarathMTH - but as someone does very much enjoy 5e, (and D&D's rules in general) - its important to see them effectively recreated in the game.

RTwP and TB are two sides of the same coin, and as long as the system does a good job implementing the rules, I'll be happy.

That's fine, but it isnt irrelevant to other people - and their opinions are just as valued as your own.

Please don't misrepresent me by taking what I said out of its context. I did not say how TT games play is irrelevant in general. I am very clearly saying it is irrelevant to the point I am making.
    A Good game > RTwP/TB.

For you. For me, TB = strike against a game

Assessing whether a game is "good" or not involves a collection of (multiple) factors for most people. For you, the combat system of the game is not one of those factors. For me, it is, and an important one at that. But by no means is it the only factor, or even the most important factor.