Skip to content

[mod] Khalid for Baldur's Gate 2: EE

Comments

• MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    Although I will wait until it has EET compatibility, I really like the concept of this mod as Lava has laid it out. There are far too few choices that really require a difficult moral dilemma or cost more than gold or experience. There are also surprisingly few choices that are inherently gray. Sure, there are some, but a lot of the choices aren't really choices at all.

Perhaps especially if you did play through BG1 and SoD with Khalid and Jaheira, this choice will be one of the first that you have to entirely own, and I like that. You may can blame Irenicus for putting you in the situation, but not for the choice you made.

Also, this is the sort of thing that would drive the PC to find Irenicus and deliver some payback. It would be personal at this point. Great RP fodder here as-is.
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,700
    I think I can spoil the very beginning: you do not exactly know what's going to happen - you have your two friends near you. One, locked in a cage (that's Jaheira, of course) and Khalid lying on the ground, clearly wounded. You have to decide who to help first. The first you help stays in the team, so it's not like you know exactly that when you make the decision, it's still a decision you have to live with. We do not always know all the consequences when we make our decisions. And... then we have to live with them. And here, it also means Khalid will need to live with this, if it's him who your'e going to keep and yes, that means on lvl 2 of the dungeon he will see his beloved wife in a similar state as he would normally do.

As some point, Khalid may tell you more, how he felt and how it influenced him so... while Khalid isn't exactly Xan, there may be emotionally difficult moments in the mod.
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,671
    @LavaDelVortel you can only make Khalid a continuous character if you use the original "Khalid" scriptname for your mod cre. If you are using a custom scriptname (i.e. with a prefix), it will not be possible to use the original Khalid from SoD with your mod. (Switching scriptnames midgame is not possible. I have the same problem with Ajantis BGII.)
    edited September 2021
    I'm not sure I want it to be coded as continuous considering there are different versions of Khalid in the original game (Khalid's intelligence can be lower or higher, depending when you join him) and if someone installed some other mod that changes his kit/class, things can get messed up, because of a different kit he gets at some point in my mod. So... I think I'll keep him non-continuous. Sorry, I think I prefer to keep it that way to prevent bugs rather than for other benefits (he would need to loose all his items anyway, kits and class must remain the same anyway, and rarely people improve stats of NPCs with grimoires, and he should get new portrait, soundalset anyway, so the benefits here aren't as big as with other NPCs)

EDIT: Just to clarify - even if it won't be a continuous NPC, EET will still come at some point, when I am sure the mod works fine.
    Post edited by LavaDelVortel on
    Congrats on the beta release! I don't have time to playtest currently, but considering how I resent Jaheira in BGII (yes I'm outing me as a Jaheira anti-fan!) I should take this mod along when I'll play again.
  • lollerslollers Member Posts: 190
    Does Khalid learn to talk and not stutter?
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    While I would have a tough time choosing between Khalid and Jaheira, because I like them both, I would really like an option to choose between Minsc and Dynaheir. You know, in case you get bored... ;)
    Once I get move to creating something, I should start thinking what to do about Walahnan, my original NPC. I thought it could be temptating to bring back Dynaheir, but I'm not sure I "feel" her enough to bring her back. But I wouldn't mind playing such mod, considering I never was a big Minsc fan. That's why helped with Minsc Friendship - to make him feel less like a wasted character that does not develop as much as he could.

Anyway, there's a rund of updates I may need work on, too... Eh, that's the downside of having so many mods. Updating stuff takes way too much time.
  • JediMindTrixJediMindTrix Member Posts: 305
    Chiming in here to say I think your writing has improved a lot since your earliest mods that I've followed & that as others have mentioned, your approach to picking who survives is indeed pretty genius.
    Oh, that's really nice! Thank you! I do my best to provide engaging mods. I'm aware there are writers I'll never match, but at leas I can provide some fun time :) Cheers!
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    Oh, that's really nice! Thank you! I do my best to provide engaging mods. I'm aware there are writers I'll never match, but at leas I can provide some fun time :) Cheers!

But this is only because native English writers have always easier, the writing flows more naturally for them. But what JediMindTrix said is true, I was also pleasently surprised recently how good your writing is right now (comparing to your older mods).
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    @LavaDelVortel
    Glad to help, your mods are great man keep it up.
    Thank you! :)
  • lollerslollers Member Posts: 190
    @jastey - thanks!

@lollers - uhm, no. I believe Khalid can be a great friend and a hero just as he is.

It would be funny though if it turned out that Khalids stuttering could be blamed on an abusive relationship with Jahiera but then she dies and he gets his confidence back.
    O_O

No. And I do not see where's the "funny" part. Especially considering the story that's there, also in Siege of Dragonspear where he want to show how much he loves her by finding a perfect gift but nothing ever feels good enough.

If you're looking for that kind of content, then no, it's not here. You may need to look for it elsewhere. Sorry (but, not really).
  • Austin87Austin87 Member Posts: 281
    [*] 3 SoA banters between Lava's Khalid and Kulyok's Branwen
    [*] 2 SoA banters between Lava's Khalid and Kulyok's Coran
    [*] 1 SoA banter between Lava's Khalid and Kulyok's Tiax
    [*] 1 ToB banter between Lava's Khalid and Kulyok's Branwen
    [*] 1 ToB banter between Lava's Khalid and Kulyok's Coran
    [*] 1 ToB banter between Lava's Khalid and Kulyok's Tiax
    [/list]

Hello! If possible, I would like to clarify: is it possible to make your Khalid's banters also work with Smiling Imp's Tiax? His version of Tiax contains more content than the Kulyok's version, but it is not very different in character (the only difference is that it has more humorous dialogues than Kulyok's).

Technically, I could do it and you wouldn't even have to write code. I would simply add these dialogs from "G3 Crossmod Banter Packs" to the ("Smiling Imp Cross Banter Mod" and change the DV variable and the name of the dialog file.

If you don't mind, then perhaps I can do the same with the Smiling Imp's Coran and Branwen.

I can also add cross-mod compatibility to the "BG1 NPCs for SoA & ToB" mod so that in the case of simultaneous installation with your mod, the texts mentioning the death of Khalid will change to other variants of phrases without this mention.

edited October 2021
    Sorry, but no. Every single of these talks were consulted with Kulyok, along with the updates of her lines to ensure the flow. Consultation, approval, corrections are also part of such collaboration and we got agreement (Kulyok and me) to add these talks specifically to G3 Crossmod Banter Pack when they are ready. I treat such agreement seriously and I do not feel that something me and her worked together on should be added to other mods, with different NPCs, because - even if they share the same inspiration (the BG1 companions) - these are still different mods. That is why I need to say no. And it's not a matter of coding/work I'd need to put into this. Also, it was actually CamDawg who helped with coding making this update happen, it was a group effort.

I am always open to writing new banters with you, you can suggest something new, send it to me; these should be seperate things, created from scratch with your and mine projects in mind, rather than reused resource approved by a different modder. Furthermore, I as a player, would rather see new content when I try out a new mod, rather than conent I already saw when I was playing some other mod.

Again, sorrry, that's not personal, but that if how I in general see reusing such resources I created with someone else.
    Post edited by LavaDelVortel on
  • Austin87Austin87 Member Posts: 281
    edited October 2021
    Sorry, but no. Every single of these talks were consulted with Kulyok, along with the updates of her lines to ensure the flow. Consultation, approval, corrections are also part of such collaboration and we got agreement (Kulyok and me) to add these talks specifically to G3 Crossmod Banter Pack when they are ready. I treat such agreement seriously and I do not feel that something me and her worked together on should be added to other mods, with different NPCs, because - even if they share the same inspiration (the BG1 companions) - these are still different mods. That is why I need to say no. And it's not a matter of coding/work I'd need to put into this. Also, it was actually CamDawg who helped with coding making this update happen, it was a group effort.
    I see, thanks for the answer! Kulyok told me that she left modding and did not write anything else, so I assumed that the new texts were written only by you. I didn't know the whole situation. Then I'll try to write some dialogues between these NPCs and send them to you in private messages if I succeed! I think it would be great, because some players can install your mod along with some components of "BG1 NPCs for SoA & ToB" mod and it would be nice if these NPCs somehow celebrate the presence of an old friend Khalid in the party :)

edited October 2021
    I wrote the bases and the consistency updates and she helped to update them, suggested stuff, went through each talk, gave feedback. That's also work and it's to ensure that everything's fine story-wise :)

Anyway, I bet it would be most beneficial if you provided new talks and I'd love to go through them and then you can include them in BG1 NPCs for SoA & ToB :) I'll do my best to help with those lines spoken by my NPCs :) You know how and where to get me! <3
    Hi @LavaDelVortel Turnabout is updated to v1.5 and considers Khalid in party, i.e. if Khalid is alive via this mod he will not be available for summoning at the pools.
    I included a check for
    OR(2) Dead("L#KHALID") Global("L#SPAWNKHALID","GLOBAL",0)

edited October 2021
    Thank you, @jastey <3
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    Hadn't checked this forum for a while and this is really great - can't wait to try this out :) Thanks! Always felt that Khalid was hugely underused
    The new version is up (v0.92) - it includes a portrait improvement and a few PIDs.
  • redlineredline Member Posts: 296
    Looking forward to giving this a go. Any suggestions on which of the built-in NPCs tend to have the most new dialogue (or conflicts) with him, or are banters still a work in progress?
    Everything is in there, but when it comes to banter talks it's usual 2 per NPC, IIRC. I think there may be 3 with Aerie, Imoen, Viconia... But I think you should just build a party you'll be happy to play with :)

If you want to see a few more talks, play a non-evil male character and succeed in friendship. That will unlock a few more talks. He went through difficult events and had not-too-warm relations with his family and he may use talk with a brotherly figure.