Skip to content

Noober's Game

Comments

• Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,173
    Approach the acolyte. Pantherlike.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    Mantis37 wrote: »
    Approach the acolyte. Pantherlike.

The young acolyte appears startled as you approach. Your sharp and well-trained eyes see his hands quickly draw back from the temple's offering box. The acolyte follows your gaze, and the expression of horror and surprise on his face tells you he is at your mercy.

He begins to speak as his shock subsides. "I... I know things. I know people. I can tell you anything, just... just don't tell the priest! Oh, don't tell Father McNeil!"

"The manor house... well... it's owned by Phineas Undergood. He's rich. The richest man in a hundred leagues and more. His steward, Alder Lathel, carries the key to his most prized possession. Alder is always dressed in blue and can be found most days running errands to the tavern."

Responses:
    1. Move closer and listen to the prayers.
    2. Return outside.

Well, you've certainly cornered your prey there.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    Move closer and listen to the prayers.
    edited September 2021
    Grond0 wrote: »
    Move closer and listen to the prayers.

You look up and make a show of admiring the intricate carvings on the ceiling as you slowly wander within hearing of the people's prayers. You make out a few words.

"...And I pray that you will forgive him for his sins. He is just a simple guard and very handsome. It isn't any fault of his own that the rich merchant's wife fell in love with him and gave him the locket with their names inscribed upon it..." You make note of the information for future use.

Responses:
    1. Approach the acolyte.
    2. Return outside.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    Return outside.
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    (Tsk, no option to pickpocket the Acolyte for the coins he's been skimming from the offering box? ;P This is a super fun thread, btw!)
    Grond0Zaghoul
    Return outside.

You stand in the bustling town square of Galenwood. To the north is a large house which matches the description of the merchant's house in the documents. To the south is a temple of Helm. To the east is a tavern, and beside the tavern is an alley. A man dressed in fine blue clothes can be seen going from the merchant's house to the alley and back, periodically.

Responses:
    1. Enter the temple of Helm.
    2. Enter the tavern.
    3. Follow the finely dressed man to the alley.
    4. Approach the merchant's house.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Approach the merchant's house.
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    Approach the merchant's house.

You approach the richly decorated house and are promptly halted by a tall and handsome guard at the front door. "Halt. What business do you have with the Undergood Estate?" You realize that if you manage to enter the house, you will not be able to leave and then reenter. You have only one chance once inside.

Responses:
    1. Claim to be a safe inspector sent for by the master of the house.
    2. Attempt to overpower the guard.
    3. Blackmail the guard with the information about his affair with his master's wife.
    4. Return to the town square.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    edited September 2021
    Blackmail the guard with the information about his affair with his master's wife.

OOC: someone's put some serious effort into this compared to Noober's efforts in the actual games ...
    Balrog99
    Grond0 wrote: »
    Blackmail the guard with the information about his affair with his master's wife.

The large man's rugged face pales, and his eyes grow wide. His right hand instinctively clutches at something just below the collar of his tunic. His eyes darting left and right, he silently moves aside, allowing you to pass.

You find yourself in the grand entrance of the elegant mansion. Referring to your papers, you find the hallway that leads to the mansion's safe room. It is a long corridor with a painting on the left side, a chandelier hanging from the ceiling, a rug on the floor, and a statue on the right side.

Responses:
    1. Proceed to the door of the safe room.
    2. Check the painting for a trap.
    3. Check the chandelier for a trap.
    4. Check the rug for a trap.
    5. Check the statue for a trap.

OOC: Indeed, they did. A pretty substantial text adventure game here, hiding in Beamdog's cut content. YOu see why I had to rescue it.

Also, you have now passed this adventure's point of no return.
    Grond0
    edited September 2021
    The trap is always in the statue so let's go with #5.

Edit: Oh crap, I forgot, the statue usually IS the trap! The trigger is probably the darned rug. C'est la vie...
    The trap is always in the statue so let's go with #5.

Edit: Oh crap, I forgot, the statue usually IS the trap! The trigger is probably the darned rug. C'est la vie...
    (Interpreted as response #5)

You carefully examine the statue, but find no traces of tripwires, pressure plates, or other conventional triggers. As you step back to think about your next move, you hear a barely audible twang and feel a sting at the back of your neck.

Reaching back, you find a dart protruding from you skin and you realize to your horror that you have triggered a trap. Your vision blurs from the poison dart, and soon your knees buckle. You never feel yourself hit the floor.

Oh, too bad! Looks like you lost. Well, it was a fun game anyway. Next time, try to be a little more sneaky.

Oh well, you died, but this has been known to happen in this game. Despite this, was it a fun game?

Responses:
    1. Yes, I enjoyed it very much.
    2. Well, it was a game.
    3. It wasn't very good, no.

It wasn't the statue.
    Grond0ZaghoulBalrog99
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Yes, I enjoyed it very much.

Alas, it was the chandelier, if we can trust the drunkards muttering.
    Zaghoul
    ThacoBell wrote: »

I'm glad to hear it. Would you, by chance, like to play again or perhaps choose another class?

Responses:
    1. Okay, perhaps I will try another class.
    2. No, I would rather quit.
    Okay, perhaps I will try another class.
    Okay, perhaps I will try another class.

Excellent! Which class would you like: a fighter, a wizard, or a thief?

Responses:
    1. I shall take on the role of a fighter.
    2. A wizard sounds like it would be fun.
    3. I've always enjoyed sneaking around. Let me try being a thief.
    4. Eh, I would rather quit after all.
    A wizard sounds like it would be fun.
    A wizard sounds like it would be fun.

Ooh, a wizard! I always wanted to be a wizard too, even got hold of a magic wand once, but I had to give it back after I turned the local priest's head into a rabbit. Not a rabbit head, mind you, a whole rabbit. Going to the temple was never quite the same after that.

Anyway, let me just get my Tome of Adventure here... okay, got it. Let's get started.

It is a dark and stormy newt, and you have just... wait. Night. It was a dark and stormy night. Sorry about that. Spilled some tea on the page there. Let's start again.

It is a dark and stormy night, and you have just arrived at the place you are to meet your mentor. The Wagon's End is a tavern bright and warm, a beacon of refuge in the unseasonably cold gale that has borne down upon the small country village. You make your way through the deep mud of the road and pound heavily on the barred door.

A small window cut in the door slides open and a critical eye examines you face. After a moment, the window slides shut and the door is opened. A hunched man pulls you in quickly and then closes and bars the door just as rapidly.

He addresses you. "What in the name of all the Hells has possessed you to walk the roads of Marynford at this late hour? Do you care nothing for your life? Well, you are safe indoors now, and I recommend you stay that way until the next day's dawning."

After his scolding, the man shuffles back behind the bar and disappears through a door, muttering to himself about "the young people of today." You look around the room and are disturbed and surprised to note that your mentor is nowhere to be seen. There is one patron eating at the bar.

Responses:
    1. Talk to the patron at the bar.
    2. Follow the old man through the door behind the bar.
    3. Go outside and look for your mentor around the back of the inn.
    4. Request a room for the evening and go to sleep.
    Talk to the patron at the bar.
    Talk to the patron at the bar.

As you sit down, the patron fixes his one good eye upon you, the other an opaque milky orb. "Bad place for travelin' at night. Ain't ye never heard of the curse? Ain't ye never heard of the tales? 'Tis only a fool's luck that ye even made it to the Wagon's End. By all rights, ye should be dead or worse."

Responses:
    1. Ask the man why the village is so dangerous at night.
    2. Ask the man if he has seen your mentor.
    3. Follow the old man through the door behind the bar.
    4. Go outside and look for your mentor around the back of the inn.
    5. Request a room for the evening and go to sleep.
    Ask the man why the village is so dangerous at night.
    ThacoBell wrote: »

Alas, it was the chandelier, if we can trust the drunkards muttering.

Guess I should have re-read the older posts before selecting. Oh well, he must have been more of a pickpocket than a trap finder! ?
    ThacoBell
    Ask the man why the village is so dangerous at night.

The man looks incredulously at you. "Ye daft, are ye? Ain't ye never heard of the curse? 'Tis the curse what makes travelin' the roads so treacherous. 'Tis the curse what makes good folk bar their doors and keep lamps lit all the night long." The man turns back to his dinner and says no more to you.

Responses:
    1. Ask the man if he has seen your mentor.
    1) Ask the man if he's seen your mentor.
    1) Ask the man if he's seen your mentor.

"Mentor, eh? Is he wearin' a cloak like yourself? He is, is he? Can't say I've seen him. Been here most of the day shelterin' from the gale, and I ain't seen nobody."

Responses:
    1. Ask the man why the village is so dangerous at night.
    Follow the old man through the door behind the bar.
    edited September 2021
    Follow the old man through the door behind the bar.

As you pass through the door behind the old man, a loose floorboard creaks beneath your weight. The old man starts, upsetting a plate of potatoes and knocking several on the floor. He turns to you with a look of terror that turns to relief followed by indignation upon recognizing you.

"By the Hells, I thought it had come for me! What's the matter with you, sneaking up behind good folk at this hour of night? Nearly gave me my death's fright, you did. Thought the terror had come for me, sure as my pap's grave." The man bends to clean up the potatoes, muttering to himself.

Responses:
    2. Ask the man what he means by "the terror."
    3. Talk to the patron at the bar.
    4. Go outside and look for your mentor around the back of the inn.
    5. Request a room for the evening and go to sleep.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Ask the man what he means by "the terror".
    Zaghoul wrote: »
    Ask the man what he means by "the terror".

"Never heard of the Terror of Marynford? You really are new here, ain't ye? I'll not say much, as it's a bad omen to speak of such things after sundown, but I will tell ye that this town and the surrounding countryside carry a dark curse. Good folk don't venture outside at night, and those who do disappear." The man returns to cleaning the potatoes.

Responses:
    2. Talk to the patron at the bar.