Skip to content

The BG NPC project

Comments

• KasKas Member Posts: 28
    yea plz !
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    cmorgan is the maintainer--and I can definitely confirm that there will be no further additions to BG1NPC. It's a finished mod, sorry guys and gals.

I'd love to see some people start a new mod if they'd like to see more content for the BGEE NPCs. :)

Also, sorry for the delays, still hoping to get it out ASAP.
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    Oh well. At least we already have Neera...and we have you to thank for that. Just waiting for the dialogue expansion for Rasaad, Dorn, and most importantly, the other guy.

A bit off-topic: can we also expect some NPC to NPC banters with Neera? E.g. Jaheira and Neera, or the eccentric B and Neera. Just asking.
  • Fina92Fina92 Member Posts: 284
    @Illustair who is this "other guy" people keep referring to??
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    You probably know already if I tell you, or if you don't and you don't mind spoilers.
    Baeloth
  • SinaiSinai Member Posts: 3
    Sending my support for this project and really looking forward to playing it again! My party is way too quiet right now :(
  • pekirtpekirt Member Posts: 111
    I've actually stopped playing BG:EE to wait for this. I realized that I hadn't played IWD: Trials of The Luremaster, so I'm getting my infinity engine fix from there.
  • bgplayabgplaya Member Posts: 129
    Question, and apologies if it has been asked already:

If I install this mod, will a game of BG I already started be affected? Or will I have to start a new game to get the new conversations?
  • valamyrvalamyr Member Posts: 130
    bgplaya, it would probably work retroactively (I know it does on a non-EE bg1 game), but you'd likely miss on content if you installed it after leaving Candlekeep. Its much better to use it on a clean game. Plus who knows what will have changed in this version.
  • StickanStickan Member Posts: 136
    Just stopping in to ask how things are progressing? :) No pressure, just wondering if I should expect to catch a strange and sudden malady in the next few days!
  • pekirtpekirt Member Posts: 111
    edited March 2013
    Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we...

(Google Simpsons ride--are we there yet?)

:-p
  • HesperosHesperos Member Posts: 10
    But seriously, what's stopping you (dear BG1NPC Project team) from releasing a public beta? All good guys in the software biz (for instance GNU/Linux or LibreOffice developers) share every single alpha and beta of their products with the community. If I recall, there's even a rule that says: "the more eyes on the code, the more bugs will be detected".
  • mackosmackos Member Posts: 188
    Just say when ( approximately - soon?? very soon??:-) im fan of BG from the beggining so waiting a few months for this mod is not a big deal - soon is enough for me. BG EE without this mod is not even in its alpha status
  • Zaarin_2003Zaarin_2003 Member Posts: 33
    Hi all,

Firstly, Kaeloree, thanks for your patience with us rabid NPC Project fans! I'm sure you have enough to do without our endless pestering. Saying that, I have another question; will this mod work on the Steam version or is it Beam Dog only?

Also, will you be providing amended installation instructions with the mod to take into account the differences between the two versions? I'm a bit of a fool you see, so would quite like it to be fool-proof.

Lastly, and I don't know if you'd know this, but would the mod need reinstalling or something whenever the game is updated by Steam?

Thanks again!

Matt
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102

Saying that, I have another question; will this mod work on the Steam version or is it Beam Dog only?

Also, will you be providing amended installation instructions with the mod to take into account the differences between the two versions? I'm a bit of a fool you see, so would quite like it to be fool-proof.

It would help if you and/or the other Steam users could start a thread with details on how the Steam version is different from the mainline version and what, if anything, you would like to see done differently on the Steam version.
  • mackosmackos Member Posts: 188
    i think the only difference is the game directory
  • Zaarin_2003Zaarin_2003 Member Posts: 33
    Wisp said:

Saying that, I have another question; will this mod work on the Steam version or is it Beam Dog only?

It would help if you and/or the other Steam users could start a thread with details on how the Steam version is different from the mainline version and what, if anything, you would like to see done differently on the Steam version.
    Sorry - I'm no expert. Far from it. All I know is that steam games are stored in a different place and require steam to run. So I presumed the installation might be different. Not sure if there are any other differences
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    Thanks for all the work being put in on this! It is/will be much appreciated by the BG community.
  • slinkyslinky Member Posts: 6
    edited April 2013
    Hello people,

Excuse my ignorance if the following question has been asked and answered somewhere else, but is BG1NPC project osx compatible, or is this to be implemented later? I've only access to the mac version as my pc is no longer functioning :(

Thanks.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @slinky As there is a working version of Weidu for Mac I don't see why it wouldn't be compatible.
  • slinkyslinky Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the reply, i'll have to check out Weidu for Mac.
  • joshykinsjoshykins Member Posts: 95
    Thanks @Kaeloree, between the BGNPC Project and Archaic's GUI mod, this will complete the BG experience for me. I've put my next play on hold so that I can start the game with both mods installed. I'm very excited!
  • WakukeeWakukee Member Posts: 106
    I've been putting off my next playthrough since this was announced. I've never played with this mod before, so I can't wait!
  • KingGhidorahKingGhidorah Member Posts: 201
    Same!
    I can only bring myself to play solo games without this mod installed.
    I tried to run a full party run but i quit after a few hours because it just wasn't a full BG experience for me...

( in other words: When? When? When? When? When? ;p)
  • HesperosHesperos Member Posts: 10
    Kaeloree said:

@Hesperos The answer?

I'm not a good guy. :)

I've released a lot of mods at this point, and tried multiple release methods. For this mod, I'm going private beta. The 'more eyes on the code' argument isn't really valid here, as most people have no idea how mod code works, and apart from beta reports probably wouldn't be able to actually track down the errors. I'd rather do a private beta, solve the critical issues (of which I am certain there will be some), and then release a public beta once those are sorted.

Additionally, many people will install a 'public beta' and then complain when issues arise--they completely ignore the fact that it's actually in beta, and expect a fully working mod. And that drives me up the wall. ;)

Just admit it, you enjoy seeing all those people crying and pulling their hair out in the endless torment, yearning for the glimpse of information about public release. It's not like you really care about some idiots who complain about issues in beta version. ;)
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    A lot of us just lurk and appreciate the work being done. Sorry for the persistently vocal minority!
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    I'm mostly joking--I know people bug me because they love the mod. :)
  • FelipeH92FelipeH92 Member Posts: 19
    edited April 2013
    Hi, I just registered to say that I (and I think everybody else) really appreciate the work that you guys are doing, and I can not wait for this mod!

Without this the sword coast just looks empty.

But I'd like to know something, is this going to work with the steam version?
    If it's just data to add (not a modification in the main archives) like Skyrim mods (yeah, I play skyrim, don't judge me xP) I believe there will be no problem, but if it is not and you aren't planning on work for the steam version, I would like to help if possible :D (I never modded before, but would like to).
This discussion has been closed.