Skip to content

If Beamdog would make a new D&D game, where should it be set?

Good day!

After getting some D&D news, I was kinda hyped for new settings (especially Ravnica later this year) and then remembered that it was quite a while since we last had a D&D game, especially one not in Ferûn..

So, if Beamdog would make a D&D game, which setting would you like?
Since I assume that Wizards would demand that a completly new game I gave the current setting, as well as Ravenloft and Greyhawk.

Thank you for your time!
  1. If Beamdog would make a new D&D game, where should it be set?72 votes
    1. Forgotten Realms
      47.22%
    2. Eberron
        4.17%
    3. Ravenloft
      13.89%
    4. Ravnica
        2.78%
    5. Greyhawk
      11.11%
    6. Older setting which is not in 5E yet (Dark Sun, Mystara etc...)
      19.44%
    7. A new homebrew setting
        1.39%
[Deleted User]SCARY_WIZARD

Comments

• FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Dark Sun.
    [Deleted User]ArcanisShadowdemonCrevsDaak
  • ArcanisArcanis Member Posts: 377
    Fardragon said:

Dark Sun.

So you want another game there? Let us try a world that has no game yet.. =P

But, if I may ask, why do you want Dark Sun?
    And how do you think the unique atmosphere can be used in a game?

If I remember corectly it is rather hard to survive in that world and it is rather exotic..
    I admit, I have limited knowledge about the world =/
  • RVNSRVNS Member Posts: 285
    Dark sun for life! or Ravenloft.
    Arcanis
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Ravenloft!
    Raduziel[Deleted User]Arcanis
  • MiridorMiridor Member Posts: 90
    Mystara, please.
    [Deleted User]Arcanis
    Wow, more voices for Ravenloft and Dark Sun than I expected ^^

While I personally would be fine with most options, I have to admit I would be kinda unhappy with Spelljammer. I think that setting (or the idea behind it) is kinda ..weird. Then Again, I find D&D + ST not
    really appealing at all...

Mystara would be nice, I really like some of that mythology there, but I think most people would be confused by that setting.. :D

So far, most people want FR and Ravenloft, with Dark Sun being in the third place..
    No love for Eberron here, or Greyhawk?

I mean, I'm not surprised that Ravnica is ranking so low, I fear that setting is (yet) unknown outside the MtG fandom, but it is awesome and I can't wait to see how it will impact D&D wenn the book comes out in november.. *_*
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited August 2018
    With Warduke as a Big Bad. :wink:

Balrog99ZaghoulCrevsDaak
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    edited August 2018
    ...because medieval Europe or for that matter medieval anything have been done to death ten times over.

Space (not starwars and / or opera*) however - like Escape Velocity, but more RP elements - have not really been done much. At least lately.

*Yes, that excludes Mass Effect.
    ThacoBellFardragon
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    Like this:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=908s&v=j5nLn2LLvAY
    But RPG instead of adventure game. And no time travel, only space. And MOAR sexual innuendo, I mean was this game made by nuns or something?
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Start off with Keep on the Borderlands & Secret of Bone Hill and continue on from there!
    AstroBryGuyPsicoVictbone1Zaghoul
    If there was a setting centered around fae/classical fairy tails, I'd be down for that. Old Celtic legend stuff.
  • RyakRyak Member Posts: 7
    edited August 2018
    Forgotten Realms: Waterdeep and the areas surrounding it.
    megamike15
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    CALIMSHAN, PLEASE!
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Having started PnP D&D in the late 70's, the first really detailed world we had to use was Greyhawk, so that will always have fond memories. I was kinda disappointed computers never captured it as I got alot of playtime in that setting. I started the Pool of Radiance series when they came out on the C64 at the time, as they were about as close AD&D at the time.
    I'd say Kyrnn for a second choice.
    Balrog99tbone1
  • nlyhnlyh Member Posts: 18
    New Forgotten Realms game announced at Pax, persistent world capability and toolset. Please be so.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    I always enjoy seeing the +3 Scarlet Ninjato in BG2 because of this:
    "When a member of the Scarlet Brotherhood kills one of that organization's "great enemies", they are often rewarded with this sword. How this sword made its way from the world of Greyhawk (where the Brotherhood is based) to Faerûn is a mystery. When unsheathed, the ninjatō will glow blood red."

The Brotherhood was an interesting and rather dangerous organization of monks, assassins, and thieves (and a few others) that had even had a genetic breeding program (IIRC) set up to get the best of the best as they saw it. I remember Brother/Sister monks at the top, followed by Uncles, and then Cousins. In old school D&D monks had to challenge and defeat the next highest lvl monk in whatever order they were in to get past certain lvls. Druids were like that to in that edition even before hitting 14th.
    Anyway fun stuff, we ran into those guys a few times in adventures.
    ThacoBellBalrog99StummvonBordwehr
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Honestly, It is mind boggling to still see so many votes for Forgotten Realms.

I mean... I could understand it if people want to have a game in South or East Faerun. Such as Mulhorand and Unther. Given that we haven't seen anything from these regions yet in video games. But still... why choose Faerun all the time even though it's just a small part of the planet Toril?

Would it hurt that much to have a new game located in Maztica, Zakhara, Kara-Tur or Osse for that matter? It's mind boggling, I tell ya! :dizzy:
    DrakeICNThacoBell
  • nlyhnlyh Member Posts: 18
    For most people it is the most enjoyable setting and is more marketable. No point selecting more fringe settings just for the sake of being different even if they do seem more interesting to individuals.
    kanisatha
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Fardragon
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    i'd like to go somewhere we have not been to in the ie games, or nwn.
    KamigoroshiThacoBellkanisatha
    Wow, I'm gone for some days and during that time the Forgotten Realms win the poll by far O_O
    Zaghoul said:

Having started PnP D&D in the late 70's, the first really detailed world we had to use was Greyhawk, so that will always have fond memories. I was kinda disappointed computers never captured it as I got alot of playtime in that setting. I started the Pool of Radiance series when they came out on the C64 at the time, as they were about as close AD&D at the time.
    I'd say Kyrnn for a second choice.

Well, about D&D video games in Greyhawk: I have often heard that Temple of Elemental Evil is one of the closest p&p conversions and the mods also improve on it.

But I fear that from all the games I listed seperatly, Greyhawk will have the lowest chance to become real..
    Forgotten Realms is the most likely, but I think a Planescape/Spelljammer game would have a decent chance.. Why? Well they remembered the "all in one universe"-idea and even created an explanation for Eberron in such a setting. So, a game which would visit multiple planes could be pitched to WotC, especially if the game would visit old planes (Greyhawk, Mystara) could be even sold through the nostalgia market..

It would be awesome to explore the methods to switch settings..
    Especially since one of the Dragon streams explained that most teleportspells work, since all settings are in the Prime, thus you would not actually change your "plane". You would only need some sort of idea where to go (and maybe a magic passcode) and then use a portal, a spell or a spark and done.. ^^
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

From Most Likely to Least Likely:

Forgotten Realms: Familiarity is an easier sell. One of the reasons why I had a hard time getting into the Temple of Elemental Evil game was due to it other another setting I knew or cared nothing about. That said:

Greyhawk: ToEE:EE would be kinda cool with better writing and voice acting and (a lot) fewer bugs. BUT:

Ravnica: With WotC releasing DMs guide to Ravnica (read it the next issue of Wild Surge, out soon - shameless plug over) it'd make sense to release a non magic the gathering game based in that world for some fancy cross promotion. Beamdog would of had to be working on this for awhile though and perhaps they have been. We don't know really what they've been working on for the last 2 years and it would explain all the secrecy, BUT:

Spelljammer: I would play a Boo Origins story to death.
    ThacoBellkanisatha
  • AnprionsaAnprionsa Member Posts: 106
    Forgotten Realms just appeals to me more than other settings. I DM'd games there, played it through Baldur's Gate. I'm familiar with it all and I can't get enough of it.
    kanisatha
    I'd forgive another Forgotten Realms game if we can explore Chult, or Kara-Tur. I'd also accept any location that has never been in a game yet.
    kanisatha
  • brunardobrunardo Member Posts: 526
    Ive talked about the success of a ravenloft game for awhile now and with the recent success with curse of strahd and NWN it really should be a no brainer - Beamdog please make my dreams come true :smiley:
  • Sar_YehudahSar_Yehudah Member Posts: 135
    doubt Wizards would every do this, but they should consider either dumping a tonne of money into Beamdog for them to make more DnD crpgs using existing tools. I'd much, MUCH prefer the Infinity Engine to breath life into adventures from the various settings than Aurora or Obsidian's Aurora version.
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    I wouldn't mind the Forgotten Realms as it's classic high fantasy and I think it would appeal to everybody, but my two favourite D&D settings are Ravenloft and Darksun, and I'd love to see a modern D&D CRPG take on them. :)