Skip to content

BG EE 2.0 and Siege of Dragonspear Compatible Mods

Comments

• KingxexKingxex Member Posts: 21
    Raduziel said:

@Kingxex Do you by any chance own a Steam/GoG-version of BGEE+SoD?

If so, have you used modmerge?

This is all too confusing for me. I'm used to brainless mod merging tools like the Skyrim one.

I've never used SCS or Tactics because the installation of mods for BG is always so convoluted. Best I could manage was BGTweaks.
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    edited August 2018
    @Kingxex

In the following combinations, you need to install modmerge before installing any other mods:
    - You download and install BGEE+SoD from the Steam client.
    - You download and install BGEE+SoD from the GOG client.

In the following combinations, you do NOT need to install modmerge at all:
    - You download and install your games from the Beamdog client.
    - You download and install BGEE without SoD.
    - You're trying to mod BG2EE, IWDEE or PSTEE.

Also note that there currently is NO 2.5 available for SoD! BGEE and SoD are currently at version 2.3.

There is a Beta for BGEE 2.5, but that beta does not support SoD. When you want to install the BGEE 2.5 beta, you need to disable the SoD DLC, or you'll end up with a very buggy experience.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    edited August 2018
    @Kingxex

Use this link to download the file that is compatible with your OS (Linux, Windows or iOS).

Extract the content inside the game folder. Run the .exe. A prompt-DOS window will appear, follow its instruction (literally all you have to do is press "Y").

After that you may install mods safely.
  • egonegon Member Posts: 94
    My game seems to be completely bonkers after updating to 2.5. I've run modmerger and re-installed all the desired mods.

For some reason this doesn't seem to work. Followers (Kagain and Viconia) have the wrong portraits, Coran starts random dialogues where he claims to be an Alchemist from SoD before turning into stone and when I start a completely new game some random NPC shows up and starts complaining about being under attack by all sorts of creatures with random voiced dialogues playing. Did I just roll a wild surge IRL or what the heck happened? :D
    mlnevese said:

If anyone finds any incompatibility let me know so that I can update the information in the list.

See my above post. :/
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,671
    egon said:

mlnevese said:

If anyone finds any incompatibility let me know so that I can update the information in the list.

See my above post. :/
    A bit more info would be required. What random NPC turns up for a new game, where does he turn up (Candlekeep? After leaving Candlekeep?), what exactly does he say, which mods do you have installed (weidu.log)?
    When I say random NPC I mean *random* :P

Also, here is the weidu.log

edited August 2018
    Hm, that's supposed to be Linda from my bgqe mod. But why she would talk in random lines from SoD in a completely newly started game I don't know. EDIT: if modmerge did indeed run before mods were installed.
    I fear this won't be the only mod NPC that talks nonsense, though. If this is what happens to you in a new game then I am pessimistic about your install. :/
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    If you’re using the Steam version of SoD then you need to use modmerge before installing any mods or all modded text will be messed up.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    yep modmerge is needed. this is also the test to see if the mod is working at all.
    @egon I just installed bgqe to my SoD 2.5 and the texts show fine. Just a hint: the optimum install order usually is fixes - quest mods - NPC mods - tweaks. In your case, that would mean bgqe before bg1npc and tweaks anthology last. (Also, bgqe is at v18 now, with new content and bugfixes). But I don't think that's the reason for your text problems. It does sound like modmerge didn't run properly.
    i install bg npc project first and it does not cause issues.
    With the new components of v18, bgqe should go before bg1npc or you'll miss out on some reply options added by bgqe. Nothing grave, the mods works nontheless, but e.g. the possibility to bring Brage to Oublek instead of to the temple will not show for some BG1 NPC interjections.
    @jastey Thanks for the help. I will download the latest version of modmerge and try to re-install all the mods in correct order. Two questions:
    1) Do I need to do anything with modmerge except to run the .exe-file? I.e. do I need to move files around or copy something to somewhere else?
    2) Do I need the newest version of bgqe to be able to continue with my old save game or am I doomed to start all over again? :P
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    egon said:

My game seems to be completely bonkers after updating to 2.5. I've run modmerger and re-installed all the desired mods.

Just using modmerge won't help you in this case. The same thing happened to me, you'll need to fully uninstall both BGEE and SoD, reinstall them and just then run modmerge and install the mods you desired.

What happens: your game is modmerged. The patch reorders the dialog.tlk file (where all the strings are). If you just rerun modmerge it will do nothing, as it will read the game as modmerged already.

Everything is fine until you introduce mods to the equation, as they will add strings through Weidu, not really respecting if we are looking at BGEE or SoD strings. And sh*t happens. This is not the mod's author fault, not even Beamdog's fault. You can blame Steam for this mess.

When you fully uninstall you'll have the already reordered .tlk file to be modmerged. The program will do what it is supposed to do and the game will be able to find the proper strings, no more messing the two games.
    edited August 2018
    egon said:

2) Do I need the newest version of bgqe to be able to continue with my old save game or am I doomed to start all over again? :P

I fear you are doomed anyways... The Patch will have added more dialogue lines compared to the 2.3 version, thus all mod-added lines will be shifted to another string number in the tlk and your mod texts will be messed up... (for an old save). :/
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @egon You don't need to completely uninstall the game to get back to a clean starting point. Just have Steam verify your game files. It will wipe all of your mods and restore the game to new and fresh. You might need to download about 10Mb, but thats much better than the 2+G of a full reinstall.
    backing up and restoring a steam game [ as long as you delete the folder after uninstall.] also reverts it to a clean state.
    jastey said:

egon said:

I fear you are doomed anyways... The Patch will have added more dialogue lines compared to the 2.3 version, thus all mod-added lines will be shifted to another string number in the tlk and your mod texts will be messed up... (for an old save). :/
    Hmm. Okay, thanks. Would it perhaps be possible to save my old save if I uninstall bgqe or are the string numbers still weirded up? :P Would it work if I re-installed teh whole game?
    ThacoBell said:

@egon You don't need to completely uninstall the game to get back to a clean starting point. Just have Steam verify your game files. It will wipe all of your mods and restore the game to new and fresh. You might need to download about 10Mb, but thats much better than the 2+G of a full reinstall.

Cool. How do I do this?
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    Modded games simply do NOT survive patches!

When running of platforms that autoupdate, like Steam, it's best to make a fresh install, copy that install, then mod the copied install.

This has 2 advantages:
    1) If you mess up or just want to run a different mod combo, you can simply copy the fresh install a second time.
    2) If a new patch comes out, the fresh install is updated, but your modded copies remain unaffected.
    edited August 2018
    egon said:

Would it perhaps be possible to save my old save if I uninstall bgqe or are the string numbers still weirded up? :P Would it work if I re-installed teh whole game?

Reinstalling the whole game doesn't change what I was referring to (the updated game in itself is the "problem" with a modded save).
    And the problem with the text mixup wouldn't only affect bgqe but all mod added content in your save. And, thinking about it, it might even have problems with the new original content, in case the devs changed some lines.
    If you uninstall the mods then there will be leftovers in areas you already visited in your old save, and in case this includes now missing animations this will lead to CTD. Also if you try to enter mod added entrances that will now lead to nowhere etc.

What Thels said is the best solution to prevent a patch update to happen while still in the middle of a game. There is just no real way to update the game and play on with an old modded save.
  • InKalInKal Member Posts: 196
    Raduziel said:

egon said:

Just using modmerge won't help you in this case. The same thing happened to me, you'll need to fully uninstall both BGEE and SoD, reinstall them and just then run modmerge and install the mods you desired.

What happens: your game is modmerged. The patch reorders the dialog.tlk file (where all the strings are). If you just rerun modmerge it will do nothing, as it will read the game as modmerged already.

Everything is fine until you introduce mods to the equation, as they will add strings through Weidu, not really respecting if we are looking at BGEE or SoD strings. And sh*t happens. This is not the mod's author fault, not even Beamdog's fault. You can blame Steam for this mess.

When you fully uninstall you'll have the already reordered .tlk file to be modmerged. The program will do what it is supposed to do and the game will be able to find the proper strings, no more messing the two games.
    That is why I'm using GOG version. You can disable autoupdate completely. You can also revert to the previous game build (even to 1.3, no problem).
    Well, this sucks. :P Well. I'll see what I can do. If nothing else, been a while since I played though it all. Wouldn't be the first time I would have to do it all over again. :D
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @egon In your steam library, right click your game. In the menu that appears, click "Properties". In the new menu that pops up, click the tab "local files". The bottom option of this tab should be "verify integrity of game files." Click that and steam should take care of the rest.
    edited August 2018
    InKal said:

That is why I'm using GOG version. You can disable autoupdate completely. You can also revert to the previous game build (even to 1.3, no problem).

Is there a difference between using GOG or beamdom (which I realized I had an old account for)?

Also, thanks a lot for all the help, people. Such a supportive community. :)

EDIT: Hmm, the only problem I seem to have now is that, even though I uninstalled the bgqe files Coran still seems to think he's an alchemist from SoD when I talk to his baby-mama. If this is due to the Coran friendship extended talk mod then I can live without it (I guess I can just uninstall it). If not, help?

• rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    egon said:

InKal said:

Is there a difference between using GOG or beamdog (which I realized I had an old account for)?
    There is, in terms of file/folder structure. GoG has its own outer folders by default. (Although, you can choose to use your own folder structure.) As a result, some GoG users find that they have to use ModMerge, just like Steam users do.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @jastey Added. Thanks :)
    Thank you!

egon said:

InKal said:

Is there a difference between using GOG or beamdog (which I realized I had an old account for)?
    There is, in terms of file/folder structure. GoG has its own outer folders by default. (Although, you can choose to use your own folder structure.) As a result, some GoG users find that they have to use ModMerge, just like Steam users do.
    Does Beamdog have auto-updates that will mess up the game or can I turn those off?