Skip to content

Suggestions Thread: Structural (file formats, references, "hardcodedness", configuration)

Comments

• LaputianBirdLaputianBird Member Posts: 107
    edited March 2018

NWN_Töml said:

One special request from me. right now you cant have more then 15 letters for your textures but sometimes i need way more. I have a pretty special naming convention for everything i create so i know what is what within my 1000 plus texture folder... ;)

So please...raise it up to at least 25!

@NWN_Töml Sorry to disappoint, but that's not at all easy. NWN expects 16.3 names everywhere, and changing that is a lot of work. Changing that in a way that keeps backwards compatibility is even more so.
    ah, and this is true also for other resources?
    I guess it is true for any external resource, i.e. file names and everything that can translate to a file name. Internal nodes and objects do not seem to have such a limitation
  • Dark_AnsemDark_Ansem Member Posts: 992

NWN_Töml said:

One special request from me. right now you cant have more then 15 letters for your textures but sometimes i need way more. I have a pretty special naming convention for everything i create so i know what is what within my 1000 plus texture folder... ;)

So please...raise it up to at least 25!

@NWN_Töml Sorry to disappoint, but that's not at all easy. NWN expects 16.3 names everywhere, and changing that is a lot of work. Changing that in a way that keeps backwards compatibility is even more so.
    ah, and this is true also for other resources?
    I guess it is true for any external resource, i.e. file names and everything that can translate to a file name. Internal nodes and objects do not seem to have such a limitation
    Good to know! thanks!
  • TrinitalTrinital Member Posts: 59
    JFK said:

Request to have the ability to manipulate wind via Toolset and scripting. As related to the discussion in this thread:
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/960748#Comment_960748

Request to have the ability to manipulate water flow via Toolset and scripting. Some discussion also in the above thread.

Thanks!

-JFK

Luckily Modders can do this with Shader effects. A non-trivial issue but not something we need beamdog to do, as oppose to some of the more hard coded things.
    Trinital said:

JFK said:

Request to have the ability to manipulate wind via Toolset and scripting. As related to the discussion in this thread:
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/960748#Comment_960748

Request to have the ability to manipulate water flow via Toolset and scripting. Some discussion also in the above thread.

Thanks!

-JFK

Luckily Modders can do this with Shader effects. A non-trivial issue but not something we need beamdog to do, as oppose to some of the more hard coded things.
    But shader effects are not applicable per area.
  • SherincallSherincall Member Posts: 387
    Actually, we do need BD to open up wind for scripting! Right now, you can only set the values (0,0,0), (1,1,0) and (2,2,0) in the toolset. The shaders depend on wind for a lot of things, but the server can't fine tune it.

Actually, we do need BD to open up wind for scripting! Right now, you can only set the values (0,0,0), (1,1,0) and (2,2,0) in the toolset. The shaders depend on wind for a lot of things, but the server can't fine tune it.

This too.
  • InflatableFriendInflatableFriend Member Posts: 57
    Better to have wind opened up to scripting, that way we can use it to drive shaders rather than having shaders as a work around! That way you can have your spell effects / fog / fire / smoke / weather visuals all showing the same environmental inputs.
  • LaputianBirdLaputianBird Member Posts: 107

Better to have wind opened up to scripting, that way we can use it to drive shaders rather than having shaders as a work around! That way you can have your spell effects / fog / fire / smoke / weather visuals all showing the same environmental inputs.

In the case the issue is about blocking the default weather effects from applying to specific parts of the area. Adding a better technology wouldn't help, unless it overrode the current one.
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    It seems racialtypes.2da is capped at displaying around 120 or so in the menu and then at 256 it displays odd behavior until no races are displayed.

I think it could be extended to display at least 256 if not 512 which should be more than enough.

I also posted before about the classes.2da limit which if I recall correctly was limited at 256 or so, and should probably be extended to 1048.
  • NeverwinterWightsNeverwinterWights Member Posts: 339
    Hopefully this is the right place to suggest this. Possible old bug or intended behavior I'm not sure. Copied from NWN Lexicon:

VFX_DUR_FREEZE_ANIMATION 352
    Description: Causes a creature to freeze in midanimation. It can be problematic using this for statues: If you script a creature to play an animation, then freeze the creature in the middle of it, you'd expect it to stand that way for the duration of this visual effect. It works perfectly well if the PC is nearby when the visual effect here is applied. If, however, the PC doesn't see the animation being played, and sometimes even if he leaves the area and then comes back, the PC will see the NPC standing frozen, and stiff as a board.

Is it possible to get this fixed?
  • ShadowMShadowM Member Posts: 573

Hopefully this is the right place to suggest this. Possible old bug or intended behavior I'm not sure. Copied from NWN Lexicon:

Description: Causes a creature to freeze in midanimation. It can be problematic using this for statues: If you script a creature to play an animation, then freeze the creature in the middle of it, you'd expect it to stand that way for the duration of this visual effect. It works perfectly well if the PC is nearby when the visual effect here is applied. If, however, the PC doesn't see the animation being played, and sometimes even if he leaves the area and then comes back, the PC will see the NPC standing frozen, and stiff as a board.

On the Trello LINK
  • NeverwinterWightsNeverwinterWights Member Posts: 339
    ShadowM said:

On the Trello LINK
    Oh I missed that one. Thank you for the link. Just upvoted it.
  • KrivoklatKrivoklat Member Posts: 25
    edited June 2018
    Two things on my suggestion list:

1) Fixing the Wearable Armors to better match D&D 3.0 rules by un-hardcoding the appearance to specific AC values, making any "chest" appearance able to have any AC value and Any Dex Bonus value.

Some crossovers in D&D exist that were wrongly categorized in NWN, like the "Chainshirt" with an AC +4 with Dex Bonus +4 in the "Medium Armor" category. (Should be "Light Armor" category)

Would also allow for existing appearances, like the chest-tabards to be included in different 'weight' categories for light, medium and heavy armors.

2) UN-hardcode Ability bonus stacking. Things like Natural Armor do not stack (which is correct, they shouldn't) but also ability-score modifying enhancements shouldn't stack either, for example, Belts with +2 STR and Gloves with +3 STR should _NOT_ give you +5 STR... it should take the greater value and not the sum. I know a lot of L33T power builds would be gimped by this so instead of making it cross-the-board change, at least un-hardcode it, so it can be toggled active/inactive.

D&D 3.0 edition rules are the basis for this game great! But a lot of those rules (like mentioned above) were wrongly implemented in NWN (and carried over to NWN-EE) -whatever can at least be un-hardcoded for a PW/Custom Module builder to make a true-er D&D 3.0 rules experience, all the better!
    Post edited by Krivoklat on
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    On the roadmap you can also find unhardcoding the armor 2da, that would allow making different types of armor. The main problem is that the armor type AC value is also the row index number more or less as a rough explanation.

I also think stacking rules should be more strictly observed or at least it should be easier to enforce them for modders. I believe it would probably need a redo of the effects / item properties systems so that it accurately checks for type, source, and name when determining if it stacks or overlaps. The most common erroneous stacking is from saving throws, also damage and attack bonuses, rather than ability scores.
  • merricksdadmerricksdad Member Posts: 14
    Without reading all the pages here, I'd like to make a suggestion for the addition of custom content.

Currently, the game requires data be input into 2da files for such things as appearances of characters and other models (containers, props, etc.).

What we really need is a method by which appearances are referenced not by numeric index, but by some kind of string tag, or unique code. If individuals want to give their appearance an alias, create an appearance alias 2da where specific codes can be referenced by a string.

As a suggestion, replace the model file name column in appearance.2da with a reference to meshes.2da. The layout of meshes.2da would simply have:
    1. line number
    2. unique appearance code (indexed column)
    3. appearance model file
    4. optional appearance alias (default ****)
    5. default envmap reference (overridden by content from appearance.2da)
    6. vanilla option (provides a backup plan in case this mesh is not on the client side)
    This would allow any number of models to be used as an appearance for props and characters without getting in the way of each other by line number, and would not require individuals to use a specific service or hosting point to dispense their custom content.

The code generator can be simple, and should reduce almost all double-indexing. Use primarily a timestamp, and modify for something associated with the machine of the content creator. Perhaps a third randomizing agent is needed. The timestamp alone should prevent double indexing. For custom content created in the past, convert the upload date-time code on "The Vault" to an appropriate unique ID.

Update scripting to allow reference of the meshes by alias rather than appearance id using GetAppearanceByAlias() or GetAppearanceByUniqueId(). Provide a list of variables for existing content. Allow CEP and other packages to create a separate appearance alias variable set.

Allow an attempt to reference appearances without that appearance being available in the directory structure. Return a default not-available mesh for appearances not physically available.

As another option, develop another file type which stores appearances by containing just the model and some appearance file. Possibly envmaps and textures. Create a subdir called meshes, much like HAK or ERF. Automatically append to the engine any files in that folder, so that they can be used in the toolset. Files are named using their unique code (note: longer than 16 chars).

To prevent abuse of bounding sizes and walkspeed over network play, bounding sizes are pulled from ID-matching appearances on the server. This allows users to modify the appearances of their units on their own machine if they really want to, but prevents their appearance from overcoming obstacles or modifying their walk speed. Any scripting call to a uniqueID or alias while in network play will use the server 2das and meshes folder.

If a suitable match is not found on the client side, a vanilla option specification uses an existing model which is part of the original package. For example, if the server has a MESHES folder which contains a new orc model, but the client has not yet downloaded that mesh kit in to their MESHES folder, then the client defaults to using the appearance of the vanilla orc.
  • merricksdadmerricksdad Member Posts: 14
    And I very much forgot to request this earlier, but I kinda have always needed it: give the toolset the ability to raise/lower tiles without raising or lowering the adjacent tiles. Please please please. We could do so much with this.
  • ProphetPXProphetPX Member Posts: 5
    HEY! you #DEV guys were looking for Borland C++ Builder to help rebuild Neverwinter Nights for EE right? I found some stuff listed for just that - will any of this help you?? :)

https://winworldpc.com/library/dev

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    Nic_Mercy said:

I would love the ability to modify the point buy system at character creation. Currently we get a pool of 30 points to start with but there's no way to adjust that up or down. Different campaigns/modules might want to have the option to tinker with that.

I would also love to be able to change the action bar keybindings. The f1-f12 buttons are not comfortable to use imo. I'd prefer to be able to remap the action bar buttons to the standard 1 through = sign.

https://trello.com/c/kW3c2Off/206-add-the-ability-to-modify-the-point-buy-system-at-character-creation

The second request has been on the Input board for some time: https://trello.com/c/RZyEGW4m/154-add-keybindings
  • MelkiorMelkior Member Posts: 181
    I have two suggestions. One should be easy to implement but is of minor usefulness. The second is probably a lot harder to implement but would open up the game to some huge possibilities.

First suggestion:

Control tile animations with two new scripting commands:
    SetTileAnimation(vector vWhere, int iBoolean);
    int iBoolean=GetTileAnimation(vector vWhere);

The first is a command to either turn on (TRUE) or off (FALSE) any tile animation for the tile (or tile group) at the x and y location stored in the vector.
    The second command returns TRUE if the tile animation is running or FALSE if the tile animation is not running, or the tile or group has no valid animation.
    You can test in-script whether or not a tile has a valid animation by trying to set it to TRUE and then testing it. If it's still FALSE, then the tile has no valid animation.

Why?
    This would be good for stories where you have to deliver grain to a windmill. Logically, the windmill wouldn't be running until you deliver the grain.
    Similarly, if you needed to deliver a part to repair the water pump, logically it wouldn't be running until you left the building after delivering the part.

Second suggestion:

Tile variants, controlled by two new scripting commands:
    SetTileVariant(vector vWhere,int iVariant);
    int iVariant=GetTileVariant(vector vWhere);

This would allow you to have multiple "variants" of a particular tile or tile group, which can be switched between in scripting by using the variant number.

Why?
    Suppose you want to simulate seasons and/or the growing of crops?

Seasons:
    Seed heads in summer (current default), yellowed grass in autumn, withered stalks in winter and flowers in spring.
    (Variants 0-3, respectively)

Crops:
    An area of ground could look exactly like all the surrounding areas until you hire a farmer to farm it, then the script changes it from variant 0 to variant 1 and suddenly the earth looks tilled with furrows ready for planting. A little later and the script changes it to variant 2 showing the earth has been planted. Later still, the variant is changed to 3 and green shoots are showing.

Variants 4 and 5 show the crops half-grown and then fully mature, ready to be harvested.

Variant 6 shows the crops have been harvested and only stubble is left, then variant 7 shows fallow earth which is ready to be tilled for the next planting.

The first feature would be nice to have, but the second would be absolutely fantastic. If implemented correctly (so that variant 0 is always whatever the current tile texture is), it should be compatible with 1.69.
  • MelkiorMelkior Member Posts: 181
    edited August 2018
    Here's another suggestion:

GIve player and NPC actions category flags to (for example) allow a NPC to remain seated while holding a conversation.

Basically, any action which doesn't conflict with the currently running action can be performed concurrently without cancelling the previous action.

Sitting would not set the flag which says that the action requires the NPC to be mobile.
    Start Conversation would have a flag set which says that it requires the NPC to be immobile.

Since the two flags do not conflict, the player would be able to converse with the NPC without the NPC ceasing to sit. The action would not be cancelled.

If the NPC is walking, then their "mobile" flag is set, which means that an On Conversation has to interrupt the current action before it can start the conversation.

Once a conversation has started, the NPC has a flag set which requires them to cancel the conversation in order to be able to move to another place (unless they're moving in order to sit down and the place is close to where they are now, similar to how a player can move a short distance before conversation is automatically cancelled).

For compatibility, all actions without flags would be treated as "all flags required" so all actions by default would conflict with all other actions, as they do right now.
    Post edited by Melkior on
  • Grizzled_DwarflordGrizzled_Dwarflord Member Posts: 168
    Any chance at unharcoding Holy Sword/Avenger?
  • zunathzunath Member Posts: 92
    I'd like to request the ability to select the default skin color on a per-race basis (RacialTypes.2da or Appearances.2da would be ideal, I think).

As a secondary request, it would be nice to limit the color selection for skin selection during character creation. I.E: This race can only select from X, Y, and Z colors.

Thanks!
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Allow players to dye their cloths and armors.

My halfling is wearing a Cloak of Elvenkind and a Leather Armor +1, aka the Ambassador of Portugal starting pack.