Skip to content

War Hulk Kit for Fighters v1.1

2»

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    My first guess is that it's due to a conflict with the "SMMOD," which I've never heard of before. Theoretically, it might be doing something to the game's proficiencies, or it might be trying to modify the same kit slot as the War Hulk Kit (which would be odd). Could you test to see if the problem persists with SMMOD uninstalled and/or send me a link to the mod in question?
  • elmek007elmek007 Member Posts: 10
    SMMOD is the Shieldbearer kit: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/61127/kit-mod-the-shieldbearer-v1-0
    But it's not it, unininstalled SMMOD, reinstalled War Hulk and still the same - crash during character creation right after selecting proficiences.
    It's worth adding that this crash happens only with this mod and only on BGEE (got it from AppStore), it works on BG2EE.
    @elmek007: I'm sorry; I can't tell what's wrong. It's very unusual for a basic kit mod to induce a crash, and this kit only contains edits that are universal to WeiDU kit mods.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    @elmek007 by chance is your BGEE game still on v1.3?
    edited August 2018
    kjeron said:

@elmek007 by chance is your BGEE game still on v1.3?

yes, it's v1.3.2053. Downloaded from AppStore so dont see any updates...

EDIT: Just checked and Mac AppStore does not have the v2.5 update yet.

I'm not sure if that's the reason though, as my BG2EE is also from Mac App Store in v1.3 and War Hulk works there... If it is, then I may buy the Steam version.
    Post edited by elmek007 on
    Bought steam version and it works.
    Although when I select Polish instead of English, the Kit says Invalid34490 (although it can be selected).
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    Hello, any chance you could make this kit compatible with vanilla bg or BGT?
    @Arthas: I'm not familiar with BGT, and I wasn't aware that modding the original, pre-EE and pre-Tutu BG was even possible. This mod is currently not being updated, so it's probably going to stay as it is for the foreseeable future.
    Okay, thanks.

I talked about your kit to a friend but he is still using BGT, and to me this kit is one of the few custom kits that are still balanced.

Have a nice day.
    semiticgoddess
    Okay, I asked you BGT. Now I ask you EET compatibility :)
    @Arthas: I think you can install the BG2 version on top of an existing EET install, and that should work for most purposes. If you want to incorporate the War Hulk kit into an EET install during the EET installation, which might be useful if you have some mod that allows multi-class kits or a mod like Might Guile or something that would affect the War Hulk kit, then whoever handles the EET installer you're using would probably need to tweak the installer to get the War Hulk Kit on its own. But you should be fine with just installing the BG2 version.

But I've updated the mod, and now there's a new version of the kit that should work for BG1, BG2, and IWD, and I assume also EET. The War Hulk Kit now gets percentage bonuses to damage instead of flat bonuses (so, +1 damage becomes +5% slashing/crushing/piercing damage) and can also put multiple pips in bigger weapons, so there's a stronger incentive to use halberds and two-handed swords over faster weapons. Also, I fixed a bug in which the War Hulk sometimes got to attack more than once per round.
    Grond0
    You know @semiticgod, there are so many mods compatible with EET and other compatible only with BGT that every time I play I feel kinda sad that whenever I go for a certain edition, I can't just experience them all together.

This time I'm playing EET, that's why I had to ask you the question about the war hulk :P
    semiticgoddess
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    @semiticgod I think that it is possible to put together all those versions of the kit. If you want to I may help you with that.
    @Raduziel: I appreciate the offer, but I don't think it's necessary in this case. As it happens, the reason I split up the kit into different versions for each game was because I didn't know how to resolve a string issue: there's a stun effect associated with the War Hulk kit, but the "Stunned" string is different between the games. I resolved that problem simply by removing the Display String opcode--the player already has a visual cue that it worked because there's a wing buffet effect on top.

The reason the kit is further split up into Item Revisions and non-IR versions is because the IR version used critical hit chance bonuses instead of +1 damage bonuses in many places, and I felt it more appropriate to include percentage damage bonuses. Now that I've switched to the percentage damage bonus opcode, though, the Item Revisions-compatible version doesn't really offer anything new.

It would take some work to integrate the old versions, and the effect on gameplay would be too small to be worth the trouble.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Everything you've pointed out is kind of easy to deal with but of course that is entirely up to you. :)
    You know what this mod needs? Some personalized HLA :P
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    Arthas wrote: »
    You know what this mod needs? Some personalized HLA :P

It actually already does. Some war hulk HLAs use the same names as existing HLAs, but they are different, like a passive Deathblow which causes a save or die effect with each critical hit.
    semiticgoddess
    The Resist Magic HLA, notably, increases MR instead of setting it, allowing it to stack with other forms of MR.
    Understood. Thank to you both for the replies.

By the way, semiticgod, any chance you could take a look at this? http://baldursextendedworld.com/Vanilla_Forums/discussion/322/some-notes#latest

They talk about War Hulk
    @Arthas: I assume they don't include small, relatively new mods like this one in major installers because of stability concerns. Installers tend to work with larger mods that only get occasional updates, like SCS and quest mods. If I, for example, introduced some weird new update to the kit that might impact other mods, it could affect how the installers work. I'd probably need to be in regular contact with those people in order for my mod to be compatible.

I think you can install mods like the War Hulk kit on top of a BWS installation or whatever. It's just that you don't necessarily have the correct order for all things to be implemented correctly--that is, a mod that tweaks all fighters kits would probably need to be installed after the War Hulk kit for the War Hulk kit to get all the right tweaks. Otherwise, I think it's safe to just install a small number of little mods after you use a major installation tool like BWS.
    Arthas
    Thank you.