Skip to content

[HOW TO] Install mods on iOS devices (NO Jailbreak)

Comments

• argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,434
    edited May 2018
    Luke93 said:

@argent77 What can you tell me of this?

By the way, I'm currently using Win8.1_English_x64.iso......
    Should I try with a 32-bit version of Windows?
    It tells me that the Windows command line still cannot properly resolve UNC paths. :(

From what I could find out, you can temporarily convert the UNC path into a standard windows path with drive letter, so that the mod will (hopefully) run correctly. Execute from the command line:
    pushd \\Mac\Home\Music\iTunes\Previous iTunes Libraries\iTunes Media\Mobile Applications\Baldur's Gate II 2.4.71\Payload\Baldur's Gate II.app
    setup-A7-TextureConvert.exe
    popd
    The incorrect platform detection was most likely caused by this issue as well. You should be fine with either 32-bit or 64-bit Windows if the above-mentioned solution works.
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    @argent77 It works now, thanks!!
    Did you perhaps delete from your code the part about removing metadata? Because I noticed the size of /override is more or less the same before and after the conversion...
    No, I haven't changed anything regarding PVR generation compared to previous version (3.1). You can use NI to check the pixel encoding type (Properties button in PVRZ file view). It should be a variation of PVRTC.
    argent77 said:

No, I haven't changed anything regarding PVR generation compared to previous version (3.1). You can use NI to check the pixel encoding type (Properties button in PVRZ file view). It should be a variation of PVRTC.

Yes, the pixel encoding type is now PVRTC_4BPP_RGBA (and, more importantly, there are no longer transparent pixels). However, if I run the tool on macOS (you surely remember), it converts PVRZ files in /override to PVRTC_4BPP_RGBA, but they're empty, i.e., they contain transparent pixels and this is bad! In addition of that, the size of /override after the conversion is different -> For example, with this install it decreases from 2 MB to ~430 KB.....
    Is this reduction in size a consequence of the tool not working on macOS?
    edited May 2018
    PVRZ file size varies depending on pixel content of the PVR files. In many cases PVRTC-encoded files are smaller than DXT5-encoded files. But there may be exceptions. Only way to find out whether files are correctly encoded is by running the game.
    edited June 2018
    argent77 said:

Only way to find out whether files are correctly encoded is by running the game.

So, I installed "Southern Edge", your mod "Test your Mettle!", "Sirene-BG2" and some components of "EEUI_Tweaks" --> everything seems to work fine (i.e., I'm able to access all the new areas without any issue/crash). Thank you again for your hard work!

I don't remember if I've already asked you this question, but: do you recommend option #7 (Override files only) or option #8 (Override files only, alpha-blended files only)?
    Both options are valid. But I would prefer option 8, since iOS only seems to have issues with DXT5-encoded (i.e. alpha-blended) textures.
  • lickzylickzy Member Posts: 1
    Hi folks,

Created an account just to post here. First off, thank you OP for all your work on this. I have waited YEARS for something such as this. Having said that, I do have a few questions:

Is there a link to a tutorial video? (Specifically Mac, as that is what I use)

Is there a site that one can go to to find all the mods and a description of what they do as well as download?

When I utterly fail at trying to accomplish this, who am I paypaling money to to walk me through the process?
    edited June 2018
    lickzy said:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/17717/tool-easy-mod-installer-weidu-launcher-for-os-x#latest (The only difference is that you need to follow the instructions I provided in the first post of this discussion in order to find the game folder of the mobile version of these games).
    lickzy said:

Is there a site that one can go to to find all the mods and a description of what they do as well as download?

This forum!
    lickzy said:

When I utterly fail at trying to accomplish this, who am I paypaling money to to walk me through the process?

Which point of the guide is not clear for you?
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,356
    lickzy said:

Hi folks,

Created an account just to post here. First off, thank you OP for all your work on this. I have waited YEARS for something such as this. Having said that, I do have a few questions:

Dont worry @lickzy the instruction on the first page is quite good - I am not a computer genius, but I got the hang of it in the end... just follow the steps meticulously.

@Luke93
    It looks like your install includes mods with new areas. I didnt reckon you could that? Well go figure B) . Is there still a problem when new map entries are added (or whole new areas where transit is needed)?.

I really miss the ee compatible Dark Horizons for bg1 (no new locations on the map) and the new ee compatible Shadows over Soubar for bg2 (new location).

Are they viable for an iPhone setup (I got storage space to boot) ?

Ps. Again thank you for all your help
    Pps. Yes I know the loot in the above mentioned mods is op...

@Luke93
    It looks like your install includes mods with new areas. I didnt reckon you could that? Well go figure B) . Is there still a problem when new map entries are added (or whole new areas where transit is needed)?

There shouldn't be any problem with mods that add additional areas (i.e., mods that add new locations on the Worldmap) --> As I said before, I was able to access and explore Southern Edge, a new Athkatla district! Just remember to zip and send the Worldmap folder to your iOS device (see first post for additional details.......)

I really miss the ee compatible Dark Horizons for bg1 (no new locations on the map) and the new ee compatible Shadows over Soubar for bg2 (new location).

Are they viable for an iPhone setup (I got storage space to boot) ?

I don't know these 2 mods.....
  • icariumicarium Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

Also needing little help here. I am trying to install the PST:EE Unfinished Business 1.2 for Ios version of the game. Exporting the file mod.pstoverride from DropBox was smooth following the instructions in the first post, but the PST:EE on my Ipad doesn't recognize the lang.pstdata file. Tried both DropBox and email... So I can't install the dialog.tlk part of the mod. Inside the 'lang.pstdata' file is the whole lang-folder, unneeded languages removed beforehand.

Any advice, please?
    edited June 2018
    @icarium

That's interesting.... The same happened to me with IWD:EE (@subtledoctor you were right about IWD:EE.....).
    Could you provide additional details about what you did exactly with your /lang folder?
    Post edited by _Luke_ on
    Luke93 said:

@icarium

That's interesting.... The same happened to me with IWD:EE (@subtledoctor you were right about IWD:EE.....).
    Could you provide additional details about what you did exactly with your /lang folder?

According to instructions in this thread I removed the not needed languages and (only leaving English) and then packed the whole 'lang'-folder using no compression. However, I guess that the problem is not in this part of the procedure - mainly because my Ipad doesn't recognise the lang.pstdata file as being associated with PST:EE and therefore it doesn't appear in the export menu. mod.pstoverride was recognised and installed without problem.
    Anyone else have had any luck modding PST:EE on their Ipads (including the dialog.tlk part)?
    @icarium It's probably a bug..... I mean, everything is fine on BG(2):EE and SoD.....
    I've reported this issue on Redmine, hopefully it'll be fixed/looked at soon.....
  • stnemelestnemele Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2018
    First of all, thank you to everyone who put together this post! It was super helpful!

I was doing some fiddling and I figured out how to install NPC mods... Including modded areas, dialog.tlk files, and everything! Working so far, but let’s see! This is on BG2:EE on my iPad, using Windows 10.

I did NEED to convert ALL the files to the .prvz extension for this to work. Open the A7 coverter in the app game file on your computer, run it, select Option #5 (ALL game files, iOS approved), turn on Netflix and marathon something.
    It took almost 6 hours for this to complete (for me, but I have about 10+ mods installed of varrying sizes), so when you do this, be ready to be patient. Or just go to sleep ;P INSTALL EVERY MOD YOU THINK YOU NEED FIRST!!! Unless you’re a being of endless patience (which I am not)
    Link to the program: https://forums.beamdog.com/uploads/editor/mv/dco8s0doeeg6.7z

To edit the file extensions in Windows (thank you Google for the answer!):
    Go to your computer settings, search “File Explorer Options”, “View” tab, Uncheck “Hide extensions for known file types”. This allows you to edit the TYPE of file you’re fiddling with. For example, change the .ipa—>.zip or .zip—>bg2override.

I created the .zip files as per the guides (much love to the authors) and renamed them accordingly. Link: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/66644/how-to-install-mods-on-ios-devices-no-jailbreak/p1

Folders I messed with/needed:
    My /data foldier —> data.zip —> data.bg2data <—This file was QUITE large, so be prepared for a long upload time
    My /language folder —> ONLY /engUS file without the .dll (because that’s my language) —> lang.zip —> lang.bg2data
    My /override foldier —> override.zip—> rename to moe.bg2override.
    (If it doesn't work by zipping the folders themselves, then zip the contents next... It's worked and not worked both ways for me, so I have a copy of each and fiddled around until it worked)

Uploaded them to OneDrive/DropBox (either works), then opened them in the game in this order:

First in was my data.bg2data
    Second, lang.bg2data
    Last, mod.bg2override

Any other order and you get “INVALID: [Numbers]” for a lot of dialog options, even ones from the original game. At least, that was my experience; I have a feeling that as long as the .bg2override goes in last that it would work just fine. I tried at one point without the .bg2data file and it didn’t work, but I’d need a fresh install (here we go iPhone app!) to test the theory to see if it’s 100% necessary.

As a side note, I’m still playing through to see just how much stuck. So far so good.

List of installed mods:
    (Don’t judge, I like romance) Kivan of Shilmista, Keldorn Romance, Ajantis BG2, Gavin BG2, NPC Strongholds, NPC Flirtpack, RE, Xan, Gibberling’s 3 Tweaks compilation, with just about everything that doesn’t conflict installed

To download a save from iOS:
    Link: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/11504/transferring-bgee-saves-to-ipad
    Tap and hold “Quicksave” button. A pop-up screen will appear prompting you where you want the save to go.
    Save to DropBox/OneDrive.
    Create a /save folder in the app directory (I just put it there for ease of access).
    Put the save file from DropBox/OneDrive into the new /save file.
    Rename the .bg2save —> .zip and unzip to [Savegame name] folder (for example, C:/BG2/save/000000001-Quicksave-Ashling)
    Open Shadow Keeper. When prompted, put the game directory name into the game directory box and savegame directory (I always forget that the new EE version wants where the /save folder is located, not the /save folder itself)
    Open the game you want to edit (if it’s a quicksave, you need to go into “Settings” to let you modifty it)
    Edit away! Save your progress!
    Re-zip the FILES IN THE FOLDER (save.SAV, save.gam, etc) as [Savegame name].zip, then change the file extension to .bg2savegame . If you zip the folder itself, the saves won't transfer back!
    Upload to OneDrive/DropBox
    Select to open the file in another app—>BG2
    Load it up! Let it rip!

This is my preferred method to get a character modded for export.

Portraits:
    Link: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/906080/#Comment_906080
    There is no capability for a “custom” portrait anymore, even if you upload the files using the prescribed method.
    However, you can do it using Shadow Keepter! BUT you’ll still need to upload the custom portraits to your app. Otherwise when you open the save game, there’s no portrait! Addendum: Somehow, and I'm not sure how, my custom portraits got added to the list you can scroll through to select for a new character... I did the steps below on my phone et voila! I can pick that portrait! Not sure what I did right or wrong to make that happen (maybe even having a portrait file in the data and override packs?)
    So:
    Pick your portrait
    Rename to [8 character name].bg2portrait
    Upload to DropBox/OneDrive
    Open in BG2
    You will NOT see the portrait as an option for a new character, but it will be there for edited saves :)
    Note: You don’t need to assign the “small” portrait anyore when editing the save... the game resizes the large one to fit, so when you’re messing with it in Shadow Keeper, just select the Large portrait file for the Small portrait option.

Sorry for the long post... I spent about 12+ hours going through forums and other troubleshooting to get everything together and I thought it might be helpful to have it all in one place. :D I didn’t come up with how to do this; just an ordered list that worked for me :)
    Post edited by stnemele on
    Luke93 said:

@icarium It's probably a bug..... I mean, everything is fine on BG(2):EE and SoD.....
    I've reported this issue on Redmine, hopefully it'll be fixed/looked at soon.....

Any news yet on this issue?
    icarium said:

Luke93 said:

Any news yet on this issue?
    None, sorry ----> You can look at the relevant bug report here.
  • Xtremeyouth1Xtremeyouth1 Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone have a link to the file they created? I've tried and tried...I managed to install two mods but I've never been able to get the xp cap remover to work. It's been months now and I'm exhausted lol
    argent77 said:

The tool that does the actual conversion apparently has issues on macOS though, so you have to do it on a Windows or Linux system (or vm).

@subtledoctor

So, I reported this issue and got the following answer:

"The problem is that your input format is BC1 and we do not support DXTC on Mac or Linux. This is related to the S3TC patent. This patent has expired recently and we should be able to add support for these formats, but we haven’t got around to do it."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    @Luke93
    May I post a link to this guide in the Italian thread dedicated to BGEE/BG2EE mods?
    edited September 2018
    Aedan said:

@Luke93
    May I post a link to this guide in the Italian thread dedicated to BGEE/BG2EE mods?

Maybe it's better to translate my post into Italian :) ...........
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    I do not have time for that, sorry. Terribily busy with RL and translation projects.
    edited September 2018
    Aedan said:

I do not have time for that, sorry. Terribily busy with RL and translation projects.

I see. Well, in that case feel free to put a link in the Italian thread.......
    edited September 2018

Well, also sad, because they don't seem in a hurry. :cry:

In case you're interested in a temporary (free and legal!) solution, here's one: you can install Windows 10 on your Mac using VirtualBox.

Yes, sure, sooner or later you'll be asked to enter a valid license number for using Windows 10...... BUT, when asked to do so, you can safely click on I don't have a license number ------> in so doing, you won't have all the features of Windows 10, but who cares? You *only* need the Terminal app in order to run setup-A7TextureConvert.exe and that's it ;)
    Post edited by _Luke_ on
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

I'm waiting to do it until I get a new MacBook.

Fun fact: the new iPhone XS Max is more expensive than a 4K iMac or a 13-inch MacBook Pro........
  • TrollopsAndPlugTailsTrollopsAndPlugTails Member Posts: 49
    edited September 2018
    Edit: yes, I was stupid.
  • TundramanTundraman Member Posts: 9
    edited September 2018
    I'm not sure either A) how to do this properly or B ) what I'm doing wrong.

I'm trying to use mlnevese's XP cap remover on iPad.

I can successfully complete steps 1 - beginning of 3.
    - in step 3, why is chitin.key necessary and am I doing anything with it?
    - since this is a mod provided from a thread on here and not a "weidu mod" what on earth do I do with the thing and/or how do I install it being as it's just 4 files from a download within this forum

I'm able to locate the override file (empty) and insert these particular 4 files in it (as described in step 4) - unsure of the significance of dialog.tlk as I'm not using any sound based/dialogue type mods

For step 5, I can change the file name to .zip but as far as I've been able to research - it is impossible (??) to zip a file without compression - so I've tried via renaming and via compressing -

For step 6, since I am unable to compress the override file, I compress the content within (4 files from mlnevese's xp cap remover) into a file I then rename mod.bg1data within the override folder

for step 7, I cannot actually email to myself while it is located with the payload folder due to the show packet contents step, so I move a copy to the desktop of the computer before emailing it (it = mod.bg1data)

I'm able to access this via my gmail account through safari, and upon clicking the attachment I immediately have the option to open in Baldur's Gate - which I choose

The app opens fine, there are no additional screens/selections/etc - it looks like BG:EE for iPad as it always has since pre-modding attempt

I am unable to change the lang file into a shareable way without just compressing en US without movies and sounds (otherwise it's like 46MB)

in sharing and opening these with BG and restarting, the xp cap is not yet removed but the app does not seem to function any differently (crashing/laggy/etc) to even notate potential affecting of the original files with the xp cap removal mod.

I'm a bit in over my head and lost as to how to circumvent the minor gaps within my failed attempts.

As far as my specs - using proper iTunes, MacOS (have PC but it's easier with the rename .zip with mac) and gmail for filesharing.
    Post edited by Tundraman on