Skip to content

Beamdog's PAX Panel

124»

Comments

• ZeshinXZeshinX Member Posts: 88
    edited September 2018
    More content for the IE EE's is welcome. For those into Dice, Camera, Action this is nice. This wasn't really the stage for it, but still, nice.
    I myself had no particular expectations, but...well sorry Beamdog, love you folks, you do great work...but this was massively over-sold. A portrait and voice pack does not warrant this kind of hype.
  • Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    edited September 2018
    fluke13 said:

"here's a cool dlc pack we've done".

You would not believe how badly I misread "dlc pack" ;)
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Raduziel Beamdog's big announcement was delayed, this voice and portrait pack was not it. I don't recall them hyping up anything for "months" related to the EEs.
  • SkipBittmanSkipBittman Member Posts: 146
    edited September 2018
    Since they cancelled the Totally Not Axis and Allies reveal, I would've settled for a TITLE of a new premium module. Waaaaah.

Really glad the android port is going well and they are finally dismantling and reconfiguring the UI, tho. Can't wait for that stuff to be sideported to PC. Plus the android port sounds like just the thing to bury yourself in over the holidays if you don't your extended family much.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

deltago said:

There is no excuse for expecting something bigger than what was delivered because nothing bigger was promised above (except maybe something for NWN).

Do you not think the number of people chiming in to say they were confused and disappointed by a lacklustre announcement suggests they did set an expectation, even if they hadn't meant to?

Marketing is not an exact science. You can't just point to the OP and say "no mention of a new game so anyone who thought there might be one is deluded". That is not the only message Beamdog put out about what was going to happen, I look forward to reading the livestream recaps each week and they painted a very different picture. People are just expressing their understandable disappointment.
    No.
    Because as a fan of IE games, it is lacklustre.

Others already hit it on the head. This announcement seems WotC driven. It was suppose to be a secondary announcement that got turned into a primary announcement at the last minute.

We as their current fan base we’re not their target audience here. If these character voice sets sell more copies of the game that was released over 5 years ago now, then it is a huge win for Beamdog.

But that wasn’t my point.

Wild Surge was started because Beamdog was so in the dark of what they were doing, that people complained that they were no longer communicating. I do not want to go back to that. I’d prefer a slip up here and there that raises expectations than them not communicating again.

Holding them against not announcing a new game, where none of their official channels (blog, twitter, forum) or media (who they would have leaked the information to so that it could be covered) didn’t mention anything about it in the last month should have been tempered. Game releases are actually hyped MUCH more than just “tune in to watch where we have a big announcement!”

I get that back in June, Phil made his play box announcement and June 22 said it wasn’t D&D related and July 20 & 27 actually mentioned a new game. Those were all suppose to be teasers leading up to Axis and Allies being announced.

But the very next week, beginning of the month they stated: “You might see changes regarding our announcements there in the near future.” Which is “Sorry, plans change” and a new game was never mentioned again anywhere and it turned into a D&D focus. The hype was tempered then and so should have expecatations, or at least it should have been questioned then.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    ThacoBell said:

@Raduziel Beamdog's big announcement was delayed, this voice and portrait pack was not it. I don't recall them hyping up anything for "months" related to the EEs.

Still shows a lack of management. You hype your crew for at least since June 15 and them postpone it.

Unless they had to postpone the "big announcement" 3 minutes before the panel they should have told us before.

Lack of respect with the people that wasted their time with this. I'm especially pissed off because I took the only day off I had in a long time to watch this, had a small argument with my wife because she wanted to go to watch a movie and a f*cking portrait pack is all I heard about.

Beamdog deserves this roar and backlash as they brought this upon themselves.
    Raduziel said:

ThacoBell said:

Raduziel Beamdog's big announcement was delayed, this voice and portrait pack was not it. I don't recall them hyping up anything for "months" related to the EEs.

Still shows a lack of management. You hype your crew for at least since June 15 and them postpone it.

Unless they had to postpone the "big announcement" 3 minutes before the panel they should have told us before.

Lack of respect with the people that wasted their time with this. I'm especially pissed off because I took the only day off I had in a long time to watch this, had a small argument with my wife because she wanted to go to watch a movie and a f*cking portrait pack is all I heard about.

Beamdog deserves this roar and backlash as they brought this upon themselves.
    The first mention of a postponement happened on August 2. Sorry if you personally missed it.
  • feersum_endjinnfeersum_endjinn Member Posts: 65
    “You might see changes regarding our announcements there in the near future.”

If that was the retraction on the announcement, you have to admit it's not exactly very clear - it alludes to something maybe changing, and doesn't say anything to suggest we disregard their previous statements either.
    edited September 2018
    @Raduziel No they don't. I get you are angry, but its not Beamdog's fault. You are getting angry at them for things they either didn't do in the first place, or they had no control over.
    Post edited by ThacoBell on
  • SkipBittmanSkipBittman Member Posts: 146
    edited September 2018
    However critical we're being, I'm sure they are being way harder on themselves. What with their jobs on the line and their peers around. Talk about high definition flop sweat! Back to work and make up for it next time!
    edited September 2018

“You might see changes regarding our announcements there in the near future.”

If that was the retraction on the announcement, you have to admit it's not exactly very clear - it alludes to something maybe changing, and doesn't say anything to suggest we disregard their previous statements either.

And then for the next month, they tell everyone what changed.

If went from “our announcement is not D&D specific to its D&D specific”
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    For all the (much deserved, imo) backlash on these forums over the PAX reveal, let me ask you all a different question which I feel is the more pertinent question: What would your reaction have been had they revealed, with much fanfare, Axis & Allies Enhanced Edition as their NEW game, the game they'd been so very hard at work on for the past two-plus years?

I for one would've been even more underwhelmed and disappointed.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    kanisatha said:

What would your reaction have been had they revealed, with much fanfare, Axis & Allies Enhanced Edition as their NEW game, the game they'd been so very hard at work on for the past two-plus years?

"hooray. Another 2WW game. Just what we needed." However, I wouldn't be opposed to it as Beamdog needs to release things, patches don't bring in money after all. Anything that helps economic stability is a good thing. I didn't throw a party over Torment (just not that big a fan) or Neverwinter Nights (original still runs fine for me and the new one only looks better... a bit better) either, though both are far more interesting than the regurgitation of that stupid war for the billionth time.
    edited September 2018
    kanisatha said:

For all the (much deserved, imo) backlash on these forums over the PAX reveal, let me ask you all a different question which I feel is the more pertinent question: What would your reaction have been had they revealed, with much fanfare, Axis & Allies Enhanced Edition as their NEW game, the game they'd been so very hard at work on for the past two-plus years?

I for one would've been even more underwhelmed and disappointed.

Still disappointed, undoubtedly. I can't lie that I'd rather Beamdog were producing a steady stream of IE EE content and updates. But I know that Beamdog don't exist to satisfy my need for more of a 20-year-old CRPG, and I'm generally willing to give anything else they work on a fair shake, since I do like what they've done with IE. I didn't like NWN when it first came out, but I've got the EE on my to-buy list for this reason.

I disagree that it's more pertinent though. If that had been the announcement, I might have gone "meh", but I wouldn't have been confused about the inconsistent marketing message. They said there was a new game on the way, and if that's what they'd announced it would have made sense even if I didn't care particularly for the game. I wouldn't quibble over "EE vs new game" when all of Beamdog's games to date are EEs.

I'm only really bothered by one thing - why there can't have been a simple statement of "The previous special announcement for PAX is postponed" on the blog. I subscribed to the RSS feed to get this sort of news, and, I guess naively, assumed that all major information would be published to it.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    Thanks for all the feedback, everyone! Special thanks goes to those who watch and follow our livestreams, those who heard and noticed certain things.

I'm sure you all are having many questions. Join one of the next streams, and you'll be able to ask them.
    edited September 2018

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone! Special thanks goes to those who watch and follow our livestreams, those who heard and noticed certain things.

I'm sure you all are having many questions. Join one of the next streams, and you'll be able to ask them.

I can't watch the livestreams live, due to timezone difference and working commitments, and it seems I'm missing out as a result. Any other way I can ask a question and have it seen by someone at Beamdog who can answer? Will the recaps be a bit more detailed in future?
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    edited September 2018
    kanisatha said:

I would have been excited for Beamdog opening a new product line, and deemed it worthy of the hype. I probably would not have been a customer though, my strategy gaming is more in the 4x genre. MOO2EE, Civ2EE, Alpha Centauri EE - these would all have my attention more, which is why those rights are guarded so zealously, and unlikely to become available!

I don't have the time to watch the livestreams, so I have to rely on the recaps.

June, 15

We’re going to do a panel at PAX West (August 31 - September 3, 2018) and preparing to make a wide variety of announcements there! Phil says some of them might be “outside of our usual playbox”. More news soon!

June, 22

Beamdog will do a special announcement panel at PAX West this August. We’ll be talking about a number of things there, but the big announcement will be not D&D-related.

June, 29

Beamdog is going to PAX West this August to do a special announcement panel. Stay tuned for more details!

July, 6

Beamdog is going to Pax West (Seattle, WA - August 31 - September 3, 2018) to do a special announcement panel. According to Trent, it’ll involve something “strategic”. Interested to know more? Sign up for our newsletter!

July, 13

Meet Beamdog at Pax West (Seattle, WA - August 31 - September 3, 2018)! We’re going to have a fairly big room for a special announcement panel. Come by and ask your questions!

July, 20

On September, 1 Beamdog will do a special announcement panel at PAX West. Tune on Twitch in for news about a game we haven’t announced yet! More news soon!

July, 27

Beamdog is going to PAX West! During a special announcement panel on September, 1 we’ll be talking about some D&D stuff, but the main focus will be on a new game - something we haven’t announced yet. We’ll also be answering your questions, so come by if you’re at PAX West, or tune on Twitch!

August, 3

Beamdog will do a special announcement panel on PAX West. You might see changes regarding our announcements there in the near future. If you can’t make it to Seattle, tune on Twitch: we’ll be streaming our panel on the Beamdog Twitch channel!

August, 10

Beamdog is going to PAX West! We’ll be doing a panel at September, 1 at 1pm PT. If you aren’t travelling to Seattle - don’t worry! We’ll be streaming the panel on the Beamdog Twitch channel!

August, 17

Beamdog is going to PAX West in less than 2 weeks! Visit our panel at September, 1 at 1pm PT. Not going to PAX? We’ll be streaming the panel live on the Beamdog Twitch and on twitch.tv/PAX2! RSVP to the livestream on the Eventbrite or Facebook events!

August, 24

PAX West is starting in one week’s time! Beamdog panel will be on Saturday, September 1, 2018 at 1 pm PDT in the Hydra Theatre, and livestreamed on Beamdog’s Twitch Channel and on PAX2. Don’t miss D&D announcements, portrait prizes and secret guests! RSVP to the livestream on the Eventbrite or Facebook events!

August 3 you guys say that there would have changes in the announcement but also says that will do a special announcement.

Where was the postponement announced? Couldn't find. Could be a language issue, but the way I read it gave m the idea that the special announcement would happen and some other minor announcement would be changed.

I agree that the weekly livestreams are a very nice thing that Beamdog does for its fans. However, for some of us like me who are hearing impaired, we don't benefit from those livestreams and instead rely on written announcements and posts to keep us informed.
    @Raduziel , @deltago already provided you with the link to where they announced the change in announcement. It sucks that you missed it (I did too).
    @ThacoBell AFAIK no link was provided, just him/her telling that it happened in August, 2.

But I'll take @Shandyr 's kindly advice and let it go.
    You have every right to be upset, your situation is kinda crappy. I'm just saying it ore bad luck than anything anybody did wrong.
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    Well, to my utmost surprise, I'm too a bit disappointed about this supposedly big announcement. I was expecting new DnD game.
    Cahir said:

Well, to my utmost surprise, I'm too a bit disappointed about this supposedly big announcement. I was expecting new DnD game.

This was never the big announcement. That one got delayed.
    I don’t think it is unjustified, I just think people need to check their expectations.

Beamdog does have a communication problem, however, they are working on it and it is better than it has been in the past. Maybe being around the company from the beginning, I am use to it.

If you wanted a new game announcement here it is:

It’s Axis and Allies which will be available on Steam, XBox1 & PS4 and maybe Switch. Depending on the graphics it may even be available on mobile.

It will have both single player and multiplayer. Unfortunately, their will be no cross platform multiplayer as Microsoft and Sony don’t get along (although like most publishers, they’ll announce they are working on it). The multiplayer will feature ladder systems for matchmaking competitions, however, connecting with friends will be just as easy.

It will bring the classic Axis and Allies board game without the setup and tear down. It will be $30 Canadian. If Beamdog was smart, other versions of the game would be DLC; if they’re nice, other versions would be included for free (Beamdog can swing either way here).

The rest of the announcement would have been Trent playing the game with the WotC rep showing off the graphics, interface and gameplay.

Expect this announcement to now happen in November once they don’t have to compete for the console crowds attention against CoD, RDR and every other anticipated game this year being released in September and Early October and expect it be have a December launch date.
    deltago said:

I don’t think it is unjustified, I just think people need to check their expectations.

Beamdog does have a communication problem, however, they are working on it and it is better than it has been in the past. Maybe being around the company from the beginning, I am use to it.

If you wanted a new game announcement here it is:

It’s Axis and Allies which will be available on Steam, XBox1 & PS4 and maybe Switch. Depending on the graphics it may even be available on mobile.

It will have both single player and multiplayer. Unfortunately, their will be no cross platform multiplayer as Microsoft and Sony don’t get along (although like most publishers, they’ll announce they are working on it). The multiplayer will feature ladder systems for matchmaking competitions, however, connecting with friends will be just as easy.

It will bring the classic Axis and Allies board game without the setup and tear down. It will be $30 Canadian. If Beamdog was smart, other versions of the game would be DLC; if they’re nice, other versions would be included for free (Beamdog can swing either way here).

The rest of the announcement would have been Trent playing the game with the WotC rep showing off the graphics, interface and gameplay.

Expect this announcement to now happen in November once they don’t have to compete for the console crowds attention against CoD, RDR and every other anticipated game this year being released in September and Early October and expect it be have a December launch date.

Yep, exactly, and it will be met with a huge yawn by me. I might consider picking it up during one of those bargain basement price sales events, but that's it.
  • fluke13fluke13 Member Posts: 399
    To anyone who can't be on the livestreams for any reason, post the questions you'd really like to ask on the livestream forum topic and if a few people agree, then some kind soul may ask the questions on your behalf :)
  • ActarusActarus Member Posts: 78
    I like watching the streams, but for next one make sure you don't have any audio problem like last time!