Skip to content

Assassin's Creed: Odyssey - AC is going RPG

The user and all related content has been deleted.
ThacoBellAedanDev6

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    KamigoroshiDev6
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Wait, wait, wait... it has swimming AND diving mechanics?! I'm sold!

Memo to self: think of pick-up line for Scylla.
    [Deleted User]
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    I haven't played since the first one, and was like, yup, that was enough of that, don't need anymore. But with the massive changes in this one, like being able to affect the world with decisions, and it taking place during the Pelopennesian War, I'm sold.
    [Deleted User]
    Dev6
    Dev6
    Dev6
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    hmm, that's actually unsold me a fair bit
    [Deleted User]
    SethDavisDev6
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    Í've never played a single AC game, but this looks pretty good so far. I might get it. :)
    [Deleted User]
    Dev6
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    The last one (or second to last one, there's so many of them) which was 19:th century setting, was my last one. It's was horrible in every way, shape and form and I have to admit I disliked it fiercely. The last AC I actually plaed and finished was the excellent Brotherhood game, the last of the (three, I think?) games set around the italian/renaissance era. But in that last game when I was running on the roof of a train trying to stomp out a series of small fires, I felt this was it and the franchise had took a turn that didn't include me.

Anways, with this ranting I just wanna say that anything set in the classical era is automatically interresting. I will check your videos after work and pray that they have changed direction somewhat.
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    I played and loved he very first AC. Haven't played it since then though, doubt i will now.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Loved the setting of the first one, even if it was a little repetitive. I could walk through those cities for months (and I did). The THREE games that made up AC2 were better gameplay wise, but the setting was much less interesting for me. I haven't played any others.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2018
    Skatan
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    No worries here, I can't afford "AAA" titles anyway. Most of my gaming is things I've owned from three years ago, or freeware.
    [Deleted User]
    edited September 2018
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Heh, I liked that they never talked about the (supposedly) slaves manning the oars of your ship :)

Thanks for sharing. This looks very arcadey though. I wonder why most companies always move away from historical realism, is it really so scary or boring? Are we so few who actually care? I guess it must be so since no big company ever bothers. It's fascinating, in a way. The Total war franchise did the same thing, for example. Playing a greek soldier in this era and not have a hoplon shield because it's more popular to dual wield.. I mean, that's borderline atrocity. Or the ever atrocious "swimming for three minutes below water wearing 60 pounds of armor and equipment.

I know, I know, I sound like a grumpy old man, but is it too much to ask for at least some historical realism? The game looks stupidly beautiful though.
    edited September 2018
    Aedan
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    Shandyr said:

I have also posted the trailers in Italian here. I think they sound truly badass in Italian, much more than in English in fact.

It sounds so good that the idea of playing in Italian becomes tempting to me.

Makes me wish Koine was an option. That'd be a great way to learn it.
    [Deleted User]
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    So ummm......this game is REALLY good. I bounced off Origins despite being an Ancient Egypt fanatic because I sort of hated the protagonist and there was alot of filler content. Odyssey is better in every way. It's bigger, it's more purposeful, it's even MORE of a proper RPG. It allows you to pick a male or female protagonist for the first time ever, and the female, Kassandra, is great. This game is wearing it's influences on it's sleeve and is not ashamed of it. It still has the stealth gameplay the series is known for, but it has also incorporated wholesale from The Witcher 3 and Shadow of Mordor. And the open world of Ancient Greece they have put together here is just.....stunning. There is so much to do here, so much to see, the combat feels GREAT. I had some problems getting the game to work initially, but turn off your overlays and disable the Windows 10 game options and you should be good to go. It's weird to call an annual cash grab like Assassin's Creed a masterpiece, but this one kind of is. Ignore the microtransactions (they aren't needed and kill the meaningful grind and progression) and just explore and play. Plus, later on, there is going to be a DLC set in ATLANTIS!!!