Skip to content

New versions of NearInfinity available

Comments

• argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431

The area viewer requires a great amount of memory. This error may happen if you installed the 32-bit version of the Java Runtime, which reserves only a fraction of available RAM by default. I would strongly recommend to install the 64-bit version of the JRE if it's possible on your system (download).

Otherwise, there is a small tool linked in the first post of this topic. It's called "Hide NI DOS". The tool attempts to start Near Infinity with extended memory settings.

Rik_KirtaniyaGusinda
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    Wow! Thank you so much @argent77! That worked perfectly. Now I can open the same areas without any errors. :)

(I never realized before that I had a 32 bit Java version installed on my 64 bit machine! :D )
  • SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,234
    Very nice! Never realised the NearInfinity I used wasn't the latest... :#

One question..:

Is it possible with this version to alter restrictions on specific items to let them be useable by the shaman class? I can't seem to find an easy box to tick/un-tick...
    edited September 2018
    The predefined item usability flags cover only classes and kits that are also available in the classic games. Shamans, or any other new kits and classes, are handled by opcode 319 (Restrict item) instead. You can see instances on axes or shortbows, for example, which are available to shamans but not to druids.
    Sjerrie
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    edited September 2018
    Sjerrie said:

Is it possible with this version to alter restrictions on specific items to let them be useable by the shaman class? I can't seem to find an easy box to tick/un-tick...

It's an effect on the item, using opcode 319. It otherwise shares usability with the Druid.
    Sjerrie
    UOLegacy said:

Hey. I need a little help with something of Near Infinity.

I wish to extract all of the "Sea Hag" animations from BG2:EE and use them in IWD:EE. I have no idea how to locate the sound files or creature files to do this.

Do you know how I can do this?

The general procedure is:
    Locate the INI file for the creature animation. It's one of the xxxx.INI files, where xxxx corresponds to the hexadecimal number of the animation ID. This file defines the resources needed for the animation. Most entries are more or less self-explanatory. For example:
    - "resref" defines the base name of the animation. Export all BAM files starting with that name.
    - "new_palette" may exist and refers to a BMP file with an external palette to export.
    - The [sounds] section contains references to various WAV resources for the creature sounds to export.

Copy the INI file and all the files referenced in the INI file to IWDEE. Add the Sea Hag animation entry to the ANIMATE.IDS in IWDEE (just copy the respective line from BG2EE).

UOLegacy
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    A little off-topic.

Is there an ADD_ANIMATION command for Weidu?

I made some imports from IWDEE to BG(2)EE for Deities of Faerun and all I did was copying the .INI, .BAM and .WAV files. Occasionally a .BMP file. Never did anything with ANIMATE.IDS and all animations play nicely.

Am I missing something?

---

Now on-topic.

@argent77 Is there a way to import all the files related to a creature's animation at once? My current process is right-click -> Export all the files one by one, but probably that's not the optimal approach.

Thanks!
    Raduziel said:

Is there an ADD_ANIMATION command for Weidu?

I don't think there is. It wasn't really needed in the past, since creature animations were originally hardcoded in the game engine.

Beamdog streamlined a good portion of the creature animations, adding only INI stubs or IDS entries for animations that are not used by the game. But it seems IWD:EE doesn't contain all the entries available in BG:EE. The Sea Hag is one of them. The ANIMATE.IDS entry is not strictly needed. But it helps for scripting or setting up CRE animations manually in NI.

Raduziel said:

Is there a way to import all the files related to a creature's animation at once? My current process is right-click -> Export all the files one by one, but probably that's not the optimal approach.

No, there is none. However, you can save some time by using the quicksearch option (magnifier button on top of resource tree) to jump directly to the game resources.
    Raduziel
    Thanks!
  • Sam_Sam_ Member Posts: 172
    Raduziel said:

Is there a way to import all the files related to a creature's animation at once? My current process is right-click -> Export all the files one by one, but probably that's not the optimal approach.

No, there is none. However, you can save some time by using the quicksearch option (magnifier button on top of resource tree) to jump directly to the game resources.

Depending on how much of this you are doing, you could use the Mass Exporter (Tools->Mass Export...) to export all the BAM files, copy/paste the ones you want to keep, and delete the remainder. Could be a time saver, could be complete overkill...
    RaduzielGusindaargent77
  • UOLegacyUOLegacy Member Posts: 153
    edited September 2018
    I wish to extract all of the "Sea Hag" animations from BG2:EE and use them in IWD:EE. I have no idea how to locate the sound files or creature files to do this.

Also, I don't know if I can even tag it because there does not appear to be any ID to use the sea hag animations in IWD:EE.
    Post edited by UOLegacy on

ANIMATE.IDS entry of the Sea Hag is "0x7F5E HAG_SEA", animation definition can therefore be found in "7F5E.INI".

However, BG2:EE doesn't appear to provide the required resources, since there are no creatures in the game using this animation. It looks like you can find all the required files in SoD though.

UOLegacy
    I just don't have enough experience to understand how to extract that and place it into the override folder for IWD:EE. At least, I don't know how to manipulate .INI files like that.
    UOLegacy said:

I just don't have enough experience to understand how to extract that and place it into the override folder for IWD:EE. At least, I don't know how to manipulate .INI files like that.

Handling creature animations is one of the more advanced topics, so it'll be somewhat complicated one way or another.

The INI file is merely used as a source of information to find the relevant creature animation files. You don't have to edit it.

As I've outlined in a previous comment, "resref" defines the base name of the animation files (MHAG for sea hag). You will probably find two BAM files starting with that name. Export them.
    Do the same for "new_palette", which points to a BMP file. Export the file as well.
    The [sounds] section contains various reference to WAV files (such as bdhag06a, bdhag06b, ...). Export all of them as well.
    Don't forget to export the INI file too.

The quickest way to extract or export files is by right-clicking on the respective entry in the resource tree and selecting "Export".

In IWD:EE add the line "0x7F5E HAG_SEA" (without the quotes) to ANIMATE.IDS. Copy all exported files into the game's override folder. Afterwards refresh NI (F5) or close and reopen NI to have it detect the new ANIMATE entry. You can now assign the new creature animation to a CRE file.

Tip: It greatly helps to use the "Find resource" feature (magnifier button on top of resource tree) to quickly jump to the desired game resources.

UOLegacy
  • SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,234
    QQ: is what things can go into a container hardcoded, and if not, is it possible to edit the containers in NearInfinity?
    edited September 2018
    Thus far, I have not been successful in bringing over the sea hag resources, so I've been avoiding playing my hag shaman for now.
    edited September 2018
    Sjerrie said:

QQ: is what things can go into a container hardcoded, and if not, is it possible to edit the containers in NearInfinity?

It's not hardcoded. Bags and similar containers are controlled by STO files. For example, the gem bag (bag02.itm) is associated with bag02.sto. This file may contain one or more structures called "Store purchases", which defines the item types allowed in the container. In the case of the gem bag you can store items of the categories amulets and necklaces, gems and rings. You can add, edit or remove item categories with NI.
    SjerrieUOLegacy
    edited September 2018
    Me not being able to correctly implement the sea hag resources has more to do with my complete lack of technical understanding. I'm horrible at technology, and even worse with coding and scripting.

Getting IWD:EE to correctly see that ID tag is also a problem. I may not be able to do this short of someone simply sending me an installation program for it entirely.
    @UOLegacy Unpack the attached archive into the override folder of IWD:EE and add the following line to ANIMATE.IDS:
    0x7F5E HAG_SEA
    Refresh or restart NI. Afterwards you can assign the HAG_SEA creature animation to your character.
    UOLegacy
    Thank you! Since I cannot find the ANIMATE.IDS file anywhere (after searching the hard drive) may I just "create" the file somewhere?
    UOLegacy said:

Thank you! Since I cannot find the ANIMATE.IDS file anywhere (after searching the hard drive) may I just "create" the file somewhere?

Check inside the IDS folder using Near Infinity. Export, edit and send to the game's override folder.
    UOLegacy
    Thanks, it's now working and the character appears ingame. I appreciate everyone taking the time in helping me understand how this works.

Now, if I wanted to do this with all of the versions of the sea hag (the larger one) would I need to add new entries for those as well? Also, would I need to bring over those BAM and WAV files too?
    Yes.
    UOLegacy
  • fluke13fluke13 Member Posts: 399
    I've been using NI quite a bit recently, latest version. I have two requests for the next update.
    1) Exporting dialogue files - all other files seem to remember where you have extracted them to, but for dlg files I have to manually locate the folder to save them to each and every time.
    2) Compiling "Displaystringhead" - I think it's great how I can compile my baf into bcs on the fly in NI, the only thing the compile doesn't like is the displaystringhead function where you write ~hello~ instead of ~23457~ (I think I saw somewhere this can be done if you tell NI to compile using weidu, but wasn't able to find this).

PS. NI is the best thing since sliced bread, big fan :)
    1) I can reproduce it with the "Export as WeiDU dialog file" option. Thanks, will be fixed.

2) That's not something I can add without making fundamental changes to the script compiler. It is also somewhat contrary to the design goal of NI, which aims to prevent changing game files behind the back of the user. WeiDU is probably the better choice for this use case.
    fluke13
  • switswit Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 495
    Find -> References to this script doesn't work with IWD2 ChangeCurrentScript action. No matches found.
    swit said:

Find -> References to this script doesn't work with IWD2 ChangeCurrentScript action. No matches found.

Thanks. I'll look into it.
  • fluke13fluke13 Member Posts: 399
    edited September 2018
    Very minor item I've found and not completely certain about it, but...

Im adding an item effect: Poison resistance bonus (173). Unlike cold or fire resistance bonus, NI doesn't provide a line for "Modifier type" - therefore Im unable to specify whether the poison resistance bonus should be applied as increment, % or set amount.
    Opcode parameter types in NI are mainly based on the information provided by IESDP. The IESDP description of opcode 173 doesn't provide info about the modifier type. It could be an oversight. Can you confirm that this parameter is actually working?

Btw, even without a specialized type for parameter2 you can still set it manually as a plain numeric value.
    fluke13
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    edited September 2018
    v1.4 or earlier:
    Poison Resistance is always a "Set Value" effect, it cannot be incremented or percentage adjustment.
    after v1.4:
    Poison Resistance is always an "Incremtent Value" effect, it cannot be Set or use percentage adjustment.

Also, unlike the other resistances, Poison Resistance is capped to the range [-128,100], not [-128,127].
    Post edited by kjeron on
    fluke13