Skip to content

Dumb Ideas Thread

Comments

• lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    10. Let's bring back unpaused inventory screen.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    lroumen said:

10. Let's bring back unpaused inventory screen.

That used to make for some pretty exciting fights. You would be desperately trying to hand a Potion of Healing from one character to another and praying that you didn't get killed while you were rummaging through your backpack.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    edited September 2018
    DrakeICN said:

Skatan said:

4. Dual wielding shields for massive AC boosts. APR is set to 0.

Eurgh no! If you have shields, but no weapon, you are not discouraging the opponent from advancing!!! If there is no threat, he will just push through and stab you in the chest! Maybe against ranged but definitely not against melee. To the contrary, being bogged down by two shields means you are pretty much defenseless...
    Skatan said:

5. Add shields that acts as an offhand weapon; shieldbash. 1D4 blunt damage + STR modifier. Or maybe 1D2 for buckler, 1D4 for small shield, 1D6 for medium shields, 1D8 for large and 1D10 for tower shields. Could also add THAC0 penalty for larger shields for being "unwieldy".

Uh no that does not make any sense! The formula for penetrating armor and flesh is absorbance (hardness, tensile strength, thickness etc) - impact (Joule / cm2). Thus, the larger the point of impact is the less damage you deal - and that is not even mentioning the fact that tower shields are rather unwieldy!

Edit: Shield bashing is more about distracting or pinning your opponent down. A stun similar to monk stun would make much more sense. Even spiked shields are not primarily meant to inflict damage but rather catch the opponents weapon or shield.

Edit: Even shuriken and throwing daggers are not designed to deal damage, but to distract. Kind of like this (skip to 1:15, look at the keys).

Are you even aware of in what thread you are posting? Go back and read the topic title and the first post again.
    edited September 2018
    11. It should be impossible to take something from a companion's inventory without replacing it with something of higher value. This would stop players from stripping their companions of their equipment before kicking them out of the party.
    edited September 2018
    12. If you kill a party member all the rest of your party immediately leave and your reputation falls to 1.
    edited September 2018
    13. If you kick a party member out they take a sixth of your gold with them when they leave (or a bigger percentage if you are playing with a small party)
    14. Every time a party member dies your reputation falls 5 points because people think you are a lousy leader.
    edited September 2018
    14. EDIT: Jumpaposted, so my entry should be 15. (and the one below 16.)
    Inspired by @Permidion_Stark above, NPCs can either be group members (they take one part of everything, items/gold) or henchmen (they get a fixed amount of gold per week, a salary). The latter cannot be playercontrolled level-ups.
    Post edited by Skatan on
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    15. Walking with drawn weapons through settlements gets you arrested for seven days. Each day in jail will cost you 10% of your overall EXP.

16. Family members of enemies you killed will show up throughout your adventures and demand you to pay for the funeral service. Killing the family members will also be added for any further family encounters.

17. Boots will now gradually wear the more you walk in it. The item also gets destroyed if you march without rest for more than one week.
    Shandyr said:

Uhm actually, shouldn't that behavior be an option for the player to decide? Isn't it?
    When the party is on empty walks from A to B I like rummaging around the inventory while the party gets to their destination. Not possible if forced pause in inventory :/

Is there an option to change that or not?

I don't think there is an option to change it, though it would be nice if there was. As far as I recall, in the original BG1 you couldn't pause on the inventory screen. Then in BG2 I think you could pause but you couldn't change armour (or maybe you just couldn't change armour during combat?) However, I have a feeling there was still an option to turn the ability to pause off so you could play it like BG1 if you preferred. I think since the Enhanced Editions came along pausing on the inventory screen has been a feature (though I am not sure if you can change armour - I haven't tried it lately).
    You can't change armor during combat, but you can change armor IIRC but the change occurs after you unpause. I might be wrong, but I think that's the way it's setup.
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    18. Unpaused spellbook and character sheet
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Skatan said:

20. Corpses should be able to be stashed in a bag of holding. I would play a necromancer and raid the sewers under Baldur's gate, walking around with 20 corpses in my bag of holding. I would start all battles by throwing corpses at the enemies and resurrect them as zombies mid-air. Or walk around with Gorion's dead body through all of SoA and then toss it at Sarevok at the end so my gentle foster-father got to bitch-slap him in the face from the others side.

Damn, this is so great I should probably have saved this for the "great idea" thread instead.

Now that's just plain bad manners. Proper adult villains don't play with their food.

21: Every time a spellcaster casts the Knock spell, the narrator will tell you one terrible knock-knock joke after another. And they shall be non-skippable.
  • smyth25smyth25 Member Posts: 219
    22. Implement all these error sounds into the game. Be soothed by Kevin Michael Richardson scalding you every time you do something wrong.
    23. There should be an Obituary folder among the game files and each time the Charname dies you should be able to create a brief death notice that includes their name, stats and how and where they died.
    25. After you beat the game and defeat Sarevok, Irenicus (and whoever it is in SoD and ToB) you should still be able to access your Character Record and Inventory so you can see what they look like after the final victory rather than having to go back to a save before the big showdown.
    26. When visiting settlements, druids, rangers and arcane spellcasters are required to clean up all droppings and marking places done by their animals and/or familiars. But first the PC must aquire the illusive Bag of Guano Holding - a random drop which can only be found in outhouses or sewers.

26. When visiting settlements, druids, rangers and arcane spellcasters are required to clean up all droppings and marking places done by their animals and/or familiars. But first the PC must aquire the illusive Bag of Guano Holding - a random drop which can only be found in outhouses or sewers.

Or you could do like Irenicus did and build a Sewage Golem to clean up after you.
  • ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 992
    edited September 2018
    Every single creature should have an original and unique sprite.
    27. Shorties should be able to buy Boots of Stilts. These boots will replace the shortie paperdoll with the longleg equivalent and make them the height of humans. If humans/elves/halforcs wear the boots of stilts they should have to roll every round to avoid falling on their faces as the clumpsy longleggers they are. A critical roll results in a three round penalty before you can stand up again.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    edited September 2018
    Skatan said:

27. Shorties should be able to buy Boots of Stilts. These boots will replace the shortie paperdoll with the longleg equivalent and make them the height of humans.

but if gnome multi mages they will temporarily loose their illusionist kit, being able to learn, memorize and cast spells of the opposition school but loosing the +1 slot/level and other shorty benefits.
    imo the boots must be cursed so you can use them tactically, but at a certain price, as a remove curse will be needed to revert to vanilla state.
    all this in the sake of balance, balance is everything in those games (told by the player that is still using tactics mod, item upgrade and the not EE edition with the wonderful 3x PI in a CC :D)

28. Paladins have to sink their whole income into getting their armor of gewdness polished. Every single day, at that. Since wearing non-sparkling tincans makes them automatically "fallen".*
    *This also applies to any other worn metallic equipment, such as golden pantaloons.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    29. Paladins should get a free attack of opportunity against any character who assumes they are lawful stupid.
    30. Holy swords are battery powered and need to be recharged after each use at a nearby celestian recharge station. It will also sell kid toys, smokes, fast food and polishing wax 24/7 a week.