Skip to content

The Great Big Somewhat Large Forum Scrapbook!

Comments

• ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Heh, speaking of no eyebrows, I must say that Alice Krige as the borg queen was rockin that look purdy darn well. :sweat_smile:
    mlnevese
  • voidofopinionvoidofopinion Member, Moderator Posts: 1,248
    There was a period in the mid 00's where people were shaving their eyebrows and then drawing them on.

While it looked neat I always wondered how they kept sweat from getting in their eyes?
    mlnevese
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Magic?
    Sounds about right.

It was the mid 00's.

:D
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    You know what this thread needs? More adorable cats and kittens!
    voidofopinion
    Awwww... Kittens!

In order to not train my kitty to think human hands were something to attack and bite I would play "blankie monster" with her by putting my hand under the quilt, pop up and pounce her. She loved!

She was 3 years old when she figured out it was me and her expression was like a kid discovering there is no santa. She wouldnt talk to me for 2 days.

However, she doesnt bite hands and she got that same needed play for years!
    Bub gives her Hoomin a bath...
    voidofopinion
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I just realized that Voldemort is a lich.
    voidofopinionsemiticgoddess
    edited September 2018
    @ThacoBell
    Seeing as how he has multiple phylacteries would that make him a super lich?

ThacoBell
    Maybe his soul is just really big.
    voidofopinion
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Harry Potter spoilers:

Based on the books, Voldemort's soul is just shattered into 7 or 8 or 9 pieces by the crime of murder (the eighths and ninth pieces would be inside his own body or Harry). The deal is that murder tears your soul, and in the process, you can transfer some or all of it to an object. Voldemort went with 7 Horcruxes and made them into prominent symbols (the snake Nagini, the diadem of Ravenclaw, etc.) because he had a fascination with trophies. One of the reasons he got weaker over the course of Deathly Hallows was because he kept feeling pieces of his soul dying as the Horcuxes were destroyed.

The earliest memory of Dumbledore's contact with Tom Riddle, viewed via Pensieve, was one of the most important clues to the nature of Voldemort's immortality and the secret to ending it: when Dumbledore first met Tom to take him from the orphanage, he noticed both Tom's penchant for using his powers to hurt other orphans, and his collection of trophies stolen from various places.

The other big clue was Slughorn's manipulated memory in the Pensieve. It was only when Harry finally got the unaltered memory that they figured out there were 7 Horcruxes, at which point Dumbledore began to put together Voldemort's obsession with trophies and symbols and realize that Voldemort, intending to live forever, wanted the Horcruxes to come in the form of a set of meaningful artifacts.
    ThacoBellvoidofopinion
    edited September 2018
    That was a lovely synopsis @semiticgod!

My wife, sister, and mother in law are HUGE into Harry Potter so I have seen the films, read a couple of the books and have bore witness to many heated discussions about the lore.

I only wish they could sum up the many things they try to tell me in such a clean, clear, and concise manner.

:)

While we're at it... Are the Federation in Star Trek wild mages?

They have no idea what they are doing or how their technology really works and as they bumble their way through the universe causing untold chaos in their wake. Just at the moment the poop hits the fan they fix everything with spontaneous space magic.
    Post edited by voidofopinion on
    mlneveseThacoBell
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited October 2018

That was a lovely synopsis @semiticgod!

My wife, sister, and mother in law are HUGE into Harry Potter so I have seen the films, read a couple of the books and have bore witness to many heated discussions about the lore.

I only wish they could sum up the many things they try to tell me in such a clean, clear, and concise manner.

:)

While we're at it... Are the Federation in Star Trek wild mages?

They have no idea what they are doing or how their technology really works and as they bumble their way through the universe causing untold chaos in their wake. Just at the moment the poop hits the fan they fix everything with spontaneous space magic.

Hey. Wild mages knew exactly what they were doing... this is a misrepresentation of them in the games... see my post here.

Regarding The Federation, I believe Q was right all the time. I always said that although Q pretended to be a lunatic idiot he actually was teaching The Federation some precious lessons before it idiotically went where nobody had gone before, except for the local races who have been there all along, of course :)
    Post edited by mlnevese on
    ThacoBellvoidofopinion
    I remember when my wife (we were dating at the time) sat me down to watch all of the HP movies. By the second movie I had identified Snape as my favorite character. She was livid.
    semiticgoddessmlnevesevoidofopinionlolien
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @ThacoBell , You sound like a Slytherin at heart. Slytherin gets a bad rap because Draco represents it so poorly, and because Voldemort was from there, so people blame the whole house.

Huge Potter spoiler:
    Snape is the unsung hero of the story, being instrumental to the eventual defeat of Voldemort, at great personal sacrifice and danger. Harry's father was a big bully, tormenting poor young Snape mercilessly. Mr. Potter was worse to Severus than Draco ever was to Harry. So Griffindor people aren't always that heroic, sometimes acting like the worst of paladins in D&D.

Besides all that, I always loved Snape because of Alan Rickman's amazing, funny, and ultimately very sympathetic performance of the character.
    semiticgoddessThacoBellmlnevesevoidofopinion
    @BelgarathMTH

I always thought I'd be a Slytherin as well, but according to Pottermore, I'm a RavenClaw.

I had SNape pegged as either heroic or at least protective of Harry by the halfway point of the second movie. This was before Deathly Hallows was released, so my wife was CERTAIN Snape was evil. I never made it through any of the books, so maybe it wasn't so obvious there.
    mlnevesevoidofopinion
    Such pretty eyes!

mlneveseZaghoul

mlneveseThacoBellStummvonBordwehr
    Whenever I look at my dog:

ThacoBellmlnevesevoidofopinion
    mlnevesevoidofopinion
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    ThacoBellmlnevesevoidofopinion

voidofopinion
    This was a fun watch!

Just when you thought it was safe...

mlneveseZaghoul
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Homer: "I'm doing it for us and our two kids, Marge."

Marge: (outraged) "We have THREE children, Homer!"
    voidofopinion
    You and me both Kermie.

ThacoBellronaldoZaghoulmlnevese
    new metro exodus trailer

ThacoBell
    edited March 2019
    I just had TWO whole sips of wine. I haven't been this tipsy since I had a quarter cup of beer over 6 months ago.
    ZaghoulThacoBellbob_veng
    i had three beers last night and i woke up with anguishing mental noise after ~4 hrs of sleep. happily, a long zen session of document scanning and data entry sorted me out.
    StummvonBordwehrsemiticgoddessZaghoul