Skip to content

The Weather Thread.

Comments

• Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    SethDavis said:

it has begun

And I thought Minnesota was bad...
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    I had to add this. FEMA has its own new measure of how bad a natural disaster is... The Waffle House Index. And no, I'm not joking!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMPRLxNRS4I
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/ottawa-storm-hydro-war-scene-1.4834710

Just had a tornado here last night. Almost got stuck in an elevator (by like 2 minutes). Won’t have power for a couple of days so my activity might be sparce.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Ugh, it was SO nice here for about a week. 70-72 F, now its back up to hot and humid.
    After a week of overcast and rain (and spitting down stuff, not quite rain, but more than overcast. it's nice here today.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    No idea what's wrong with Texas lately. Over the past several weeks, we've had periodic bouts of extremely intense rain that vanishes as quickly as it appears. It used to be extremely rare to see so much rain so fast.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    I don't know if anybody lives in the Florida panhandle area but they just got hit with the first recorded Cat 4 hurricane ever, with 150+ mph winds. It's supposed to track in over Georgia and the Carolinas here as a tropical storm right after. That's about all the southeastern US needs right now after Florence dumped so much water last month. We even had fish left on alot of the roads along the bigger rivers in the coastal regions.

Not nearly as dramatic here, but it has been raining almost nonstop for 3-4 days. We finally got a break this afternoon. Some basements in the area are getting partially flooded.
    ThacoBell said:

Not nearly as dramatic here, but it has been raining almost nonstop for 3-4 days. We finally got a break this afternoon. Some basements in the area are getting partially flooded.

Ditto here in Michigan. This has been the dampest early Autumn I can remember (and I can remember a LOT of Autumns).
    Speaking about Michael...

‘We Need Answers’: Hurricane Michael Leaves Florida Residents Desperate for Aid
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/12/us/looting-stores-hurricane-michael.html

Tyndall Air Force Base a ‘Complete Loss’ Amid Questions About Stealth Fighters
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/11/us/air-force-hurricane-michael-damage.html?module=inline
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Anybody else in snow land yet? We got a fair dusting of 12 or so inches this weekend after this shot of when it started here in Western NC. Looks like it's hiking down the mountain for a while. Too many clouds to see the other side of the valley yet.
    Looking up towards the top of the ridge from the cottage. It's built into the steep slope up.

After three years of record high temperatures, we got a full on white out snowstorm a couple weeks ago. It was actually kinda cozy (says the person who almost never leaves the house). We've small dustings of snow almost every day since as well. Pretty sure we've gotten more snow this last month, than in the last 3 years combined.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Zaghoul Nope, just rain in the south Finland.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    edited December 2018
    Zaghoul said:

Anybody else in snow land yet?

@Zaghoul Snow? Here? In Minnesota?! You must be joking! ;)
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    No snow in Texas just yet, but I'm hoping we'll get a little around Christmas.

I mean, it's terrible for the local flora, fauna, and drivers on the road (none of which are the least bit adapted to freezing temperatures), but personally, I love snow.
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    It never snows in Kolkata... our December is like the summer in the far North. Yes, there's just a bit of fog and slight chill in the night and early morning, but that's all! You'll still start sweating after 10 in the morning.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Snow? We got it early this year. The last couple of years we were getting it around December 20th, but since late November there has been snow on the ground.
    It’s currently -7• C (19• F) with a nice bitter wind.

For comparisons (From June)
    deltago said:

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Wow that is amazing!
    Yeah. Ice and snow can do amazig things...
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    So amazing it doesn't even look real (not that I think it is fake, mind you)...
    :Nods.: It looks like it belongs in Skyrim...
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    I was going to say "The Day After Tomorrow". Life imitating art.
    LadyRhian said:

How cold is it here? TOO DARN COLD. People have been advised to stay indoors unless they need to be somewhere. Our heater is struggling to heat the whole building.

And this is from a friend in Michigan....
    Top-Before the Major Ice Storm
    Bottom- After

Bottom looks like some sort of fairy castle, doesn't it?

LadyRhian said:

How cold is it here? TOO DARN COLD. People have been advised to stay indoors unless they need to be somewhere. Our heater is struggling to heat the whole building.

And this is from a friend in Michigan....
    Top-Before the Major Ice Storm
    Bottom- After

Bottom looks like some sort of fairy castle, doesn't it?

Winter has come! Where I live in Michigan it was -6 F yesterday morning. I wore a sweatshirt...
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    edited January 2019
    The hottest temperature that i've experimented was 36ºC or 96.8ºF (fainted this day), the coldest was on my vacation on Bariloche(Argentina), not on city(only snowed one day on city) but in mountains i experienced -14ºC or 6.8ºF. I really hate hot weather. I wish that i can live in a cold city so i can work out all of my free time without breaking a sweat.

All photos(june of 2018) https://imgur.com/a/oy0ngie

I visited Las Vegas in the Summer. Stayed at a hotel with an outdoor pool. Water felt like a hot bath. It was 112 degrees (Fahrenheit( during the day and was around 104 at night (one night went down to 102). I was a kid, and I only knew the temperature from the Bank time/temp reading across the street. Suffice to say, a pool just doesn't refresh you very much when it feels like you are taking a hot bath in the winter.
    Colf, wet, rainy and howling winds. Woke up to what I thought was my roommate typing- was rain hitting the windows and windowsills. Sound like spooky old haunted house this morning, what with the moaning/howling winds.

Weather.com says Big cold a-comin'. Feels like this pic is appropriate...
    image by Fairytas

"After a brief moderation in temperatures, more arctic air is now arriving.
    Parts of the Midwest could be colder than what was observed the last few days.
    Another arctic blast next week may be even colder.
    Parts of the Midwest may see their coldest weather in two years next week.
    Two more blasts of bitterly cold air will dive across the central and eastern U.S. through next week bringing widespread subzero temperatures to the Midwest while also keeping the South and Northeast shivering at times.
    The next round of arctic air is beginning to seep into the northern Plains and upper Midwest and will spread to the Great Lakes and Northeast by Friday, remaining entrenched through parts of those regions over the weekend."
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    edited January 2019
    I really love cold, this was on Argentina. In my next vacation, i wish visit Eastern Europe. Anyone here visited or live in Eastern Europe?

source : https://www.cerrobayo.com.ar/montana/galeria/
    LadyRhian said:

Colf, wet, rainy and howling winds. Woke up to what I thought was my roommate typing- was rain hitting the windows and windowsills. Sound like spooky old haunted house this morning, what with the moaning/howling winds.

image by Fairytas

Two more blasts of bitterly cold air will dive across the central and eastern U.S. through next week bringing widespread subzero temperatures to the Midwest while also keeping the South and Northeast shivering at times.
    The next round of arctic air is beginning to seep into the northern Plains and upper Midwest and will spread to the Great Lakes and Northeast by Friday, remaining entrenched through parts of those regions over the weekend."

Sounds like hot cocoa weather coming my way!

• QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    LadyRhian said:

image by Fairytas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YbhB_A_8fM is one of my favorite videos of a WT song. It's not official, but it's a nice collage to look at.