Skip to content

[How to] Install mods on Android

Comments

• GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    Good work @Darkaen, hopefully someone (@shrub ?) that has the problem of opening the console can give it a go. I gave it a try on my Note4 and it worked with no problems. Although I didn't have any problems with the previous method, I can now turn off the keyboard notification tray component using this method.

Thanks
    Gus
  • DarkaenDarkaen Member Posts: 12
    Good to hear it worked for you as well :)

My suspicion is that going to the notification bar for some reason (newer android version?) caused the game to be unfocused with regard to the keyboard... Just a guess of course, but sounded plausible... I'd tried about everything else to open the console, including sending keypress events to the phone via ADB, though the lag time probably caused the keystroke events to happen sequentially rather than in combination. Hopefully this'll work on other phones/android versions as well.
    Gusindashrub
  • shrubshrub Member Posts: 8
    @Darkaen @Gusinda Unfortunately, it didn't work for me, but it doesn't really matter. Different Android versions (and possibly different builds of the same version) very well could be the cause of all the conflicting behaviors. I'm running Android 7.1.1 at the moment.
    Gusinda
    edited October 2018
    @shrub Well, damn. Ya my bet is the differing android versions playing hell with the methodologies. That and the 'customized' versions that each of the OEMs install. There is one other thing I tried before guessing at my fix and getting it to work. It may have had an effect, though why I can't imagine... might've switched something on in android to accept keystroke events as if using an external.

Anyways try this- https://www.xda-developers.com/scrcpy-control-android-on-pc/ You'll need your phone's USB drivers on your pc, ADB (AndroidDebugBridge) installed, and your phone setup for USB debugging- In case you or anyone else hasn't run across or heard about any of this, here's a couple easy tutorial links--

1. The tool itself (rather than installing the entire SDK)--- https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2588979

2. Instructions for enabling devmode and usb debugging on your phone, as well as a decent overview for what ADB is --- https://www.xda-developers.com/what-is-adb/

3. This is a bit off topic, but a tutorial for de-bloating. Be VERY careful with this. If you're rooted this isn't necessary, and if not rooted it's unlikely you can permanently brick your phone, but you can necessitate a factory reset if you go uninstalling the wrong thing .... https://www.xda-developers.com/uninstall-carrier-oem-bloatware-without-root-access/

Back to the topic... I used scrcpy to basically turn my pc into a direct keyboard/mouse. It was after trying to force the keystrokes through this that I figured out my workaround. After I got the console up via pc it also worked after I disconnected (and still works.)

***Edited to consolidate all the info to one post for ease of use

*Steps to open console in BGEE 2.5.17 without an external keyboard*

1. Grab the hacker's keyboard app here:
    App: https://f-droid.org/en/packages/org.pocketworkstation.pckeyboard/

English completion dictionary (optional) https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.pocketworkstation.dict.en

My HK settings:
    5-row compact in portrait, 5-row full in landscape.
    Theme is Transparent.
    Double-tap shift mode ENABLED.
    apply shift-mode lock to modifier keys DISABLED.
    Ctrl key code NONE
    Use permanent notification ENABLED.

2. Get a code-friendly text editor that can flag files as read-only: I'm using this-
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rhmsoft.edit&hl=en_US

3. In your file manager (I use Mixplorer- https://labs.xda-developers.com/store/app/com.mixplorer ) navigate to internal storage>
    Android>data>com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition>files and open Baldur.luA
    At the first line insert " SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Debug Mode','1') "
    Save the file and flag it as *READ-ONLY*.
    Close baldur.lua and launch BGEE 2.5.17.

Start a new game (may not be necessary, but may be required to reset variables)
    and hit the journal button. Switch to the journal tab. Tap the search box to bring up hacker's keyboard.
    With the keyboard up, hit the 'x' to close the journal so you are in the main game window.
    Hit then hit (hk treats modifier keys as toggles-you don't need to hold ctrl while hitting enter)

You should now see a large box appear at the top with several cheat shortcuts, and under the transparent keyboard a new one-line box at the bottom 9f the screen.
    Hit the back button on the phone's navigation bar (the triangle) to close the keyboard.
    Now tap the input box at the bottom to focus it and bring the keyboard back up.

Now you're ready to enter whatever console commands you want.

**Edit 2: This method works for me on BGEE, BG2EE, SOD, and IWDEE...though in IWDEE you have to hit journal then select "add entry" to get a place to tap and open the keyboard

Post edited by Darkaen on
    Gusindashrub
  • shrubshrub Member Posts: 8
    @Darkaen I'm happy to say the journal method of bringing the keyboard up does work. I must've done something wrong with my earlier test. It does seem to be an issue related to where the keyboard is focused, so it only works for me when I bring it up through the journal in game.

Thanks for figuring that out. It makes debugging easier when pulling out a physical keyboard is no longer necessary.
    Gusinda
    @shrub Great, glad it works for you! Definitely makes it easier, and far more convenient than having to either buy an adaptor/bluetooth KB or hook it to a pc every time.
    Gusinda
    edited October 2018
    I finally figured out a method to get the console up in PSTEE as well. When modding pstee's baldur.lua you'll need to copy it to a pc, add the debug line, and set it read-only(I use notepad++). Doing the edit on the PC was essential-PSTEE seems to ignore read-only flags from apps on-device. Copy it back to your sd card and from there copy it into your Android/data/com.beamdog.pstee/files after deleting the original. Fire up the game, open the journal and tap the search box to bring up hacker's keyboard.
    Unlike the others, you'll see that once you bring up the KB, it pushes everything up, hiding the x, and leaving a non-functional "done" button so you cannot get to the main window as is needed, at least not with the KB still open . The workaround (yep, really bizzare) is to hit the "Fn" key at the bottom left. You'll see a solid circle icon immediately to the right of the SyRq key; that's the KB settings. Hit it to bring up the KBsettings. From there hit the back key on the navbar to get out of the settings and back to the game screen. The KB will no longer be pushing the journal page off-screen, but overlaying the game as with the others. Now you're able to close the journal and get back to the main game window. As with the others tap Ctrl then enter. You won't see the exact debug console that the other Beamdog games have, but rather a blue button that appeared at top-center. It's a hide/show toggle. Hit it and enter in whatever you're wanting.
    Post edited by Darkaen on
    Gusinda
  • MystreMystre Member Posts: 78
    Hello @Isaya , @Gusinda !
    Hope you are well? :-)

I've just finish BGEE! :-)
    Now i would like to continue with my character (eventually my team.. but seems complicated with NPC added by DarkHorizon...).
    Anyway, since SoD is supposed to be an AddOn of BGEE, I install all the mods I previously installed on the BGEE. It was principaly to be able to get all my equipment.. but almost all the mod where not possible to install..
    At the end, DUKP and Tweaks are the most important to me.
    But, when I start the game, i've got a lot of missing strings, my kit was change to a simple cleric (if I try to create a new character, DUKP kits are "invalid string"), I've lost almost all my equipment (and the bags of holdings with everything inside of course) and my 2 new toons were renamed really badly (one is called "GO!" The other one is called with a veeeeeeery long sentence^^).
    Anyway, any thought on how i should proceed? I'm even ok just to start the game importing only my main characters and not all the party.. But mainly, I need DUKP and Tweak to be working..

Thanks in advance !
    Hi @Mystre, I don't own SOD for the Android platform (yet) but I have modded a friends version (mainly with Tweaks). I am unsure what DUKP is (is it DarkHorizon?).

The problem is that SOD is a stand alone game and doesn't include alot of BGEE files that the mods need. The way I got around it was to find out which files from BGEE were required and add them to the override folder. I am sure I put more than actually what was required but everything went seemed to smoothly and I have had no complaints. It can be a pain in the A, but it worked.

Gus
    edited October 2018
    Hello @Gusinda,
    DUKP is Derat's Unused Kit Pack (it's a mod that add only kits such as fire preacher (dont know if it is called so in english).
    In fact, I'm ok just to install only DUKP and Tweak (i have sold all my items in the game to only one merchant, and I'm quite healthy on this party now^^ so i could easily buy back all the best vanilla item and start a new party with only my main characters imported. I will loose everything in BG2EE anyway^^)
    Those 2 mods were installed "properly" I think so.. i follow the same procedure I did for BGEE.
    Just FYI... i just start to tried to pack up the equipment for my characters. I bought all the magical armor of BGEE that my cleric can wear to see which one would be transfer on SOD. They are all "Invalid Text". The name of the armor appears but not the description.. which is weird because most of them are from the vanilla game.. so it may be hard to import my character with it's own equipment...
    edited October 2018
    @Mystre, DUKP - have installed it (some kits didn't install due to errors though) a while back now...

Could you upload your WeiDU.log just to have a look or a list of what you want installed (and versions of mods used). Would like to try something and see if it works... I take it that you are using v2.5.17.0?

Thanks
    Gus
    Post edited by Gusinda on
    @Gusinda,

indeed I'm using the last version.
    Here is my Weidu
    Gusinda
    @Mystre, would you be able to test this? It is only the Derat's Kits at this moment. Need to know if the kits show up in your character creation dialog and try at least one to see if it builds ok.

To install just unpack modfile into the root of your SOD files folder. Make sure you remove/rename any mod you may have there first of course...

If this doesn't work, would you be able to upload a vanilla version of your dialog.tlk.

BTW, this was installed in English if it makes a difference for you..

Thanks
    Gus
    @Gusinda,
    I've just tried your modfile.. the new kit are still unvalid text...
    I'm out of home, so i'll try to send you my vanilla Dialog when I'll be back. I'll need to reinstall the game for that. To get a proper installation..
    Gusinda
    @Mystre, you should be able to get it out of your patch.obb unless it had to be modded to run mods.

Thanks
    Gus
    Yes, but I'm playing on my phone. So no way do that without my computer^^.
    I should be back tomorrow ;-)
    Gusinda
    i don't know why, can't get my Dialog here ... it doesn't appear ?
    file format is not allowed
    @Mystre, just zip it up and it should upload no probs.

Gus
    here it is
    Gusinda
    @Mystre, give this one a go, I used your dialog.tlk but it looks as if the two are the same anyway. I tested it on BGEE Android and it showed the additional kits in that game but I think it should also work in SOD.

Had some errors installing DRATS (had the same errors previously), so I am unsure which kit you are looking at:

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED Fighter (half-orc) Kit : Hatred Carrier
    SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED Ranger Kit : Hunter of Vermin
    SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED Cleric Kit : Preacher of Flames
    SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED Druid Kit : Master of the Swarm
    SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED Thief Kit : Shadow Surveyor
    NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS UNDEFINED STRING: @40
    NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS UNDEFINED STRING: @90
    INSTALLED WITH WARNINGS Wizard Kit : Sorcerer
    NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS Dual-Class Fighter -> Mage Kit : Warlord
    SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED Multi-Class Fighter/Mage (elf) Kit : Bladesinger
    INSTALLED WITH WARNINGS UNDEFINED STRING: @88
    NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS UNDEFINED STRING: @60

@40 = OMBREMAGE
    @90 = SAVANT ARTILLEUR
    @88 = CHANTELAMEUR
    @60 = EXPLORATEUR THEURGIQUE

My French (have none and I recall that this is why I stopped using this kitpack now) means that I know nothing here...

I think this means:
    Kits Installed:
    0 Fighter (half-orc) Kit : Hatred Carrier
    1 Ranger Kit : Hunter of Vermin
    2 Cleric Kit : Preacher of Flames
    3 Druid Kit : Master of the Swarm
    7 Wizard Kit : Sorcerer
    9 Elf Kit - Bladesinger

Kits Not Installed:
    4 Thief Kit - Shadow Surveyor - ? translation errors
    Mage Kit - Warlord - Installation Error

To Install:
    - Download to device
    - Remove any previous mod/lang.zip/dialog.tlk
    - Unpack to the root of the game folder
    You should end up with the '/override' folder unpacked and lang-en_US.zip sitting in the root of the SOD/Files folder. (I am unsure what the actual path/name for the game is, sorry)

If this doesn't work, would you be able to try on your BGEE game? As I said, it worked on my BGEE Android and it contains all the info required for SOD.

The way I set it up was to use the BGEE/SOD install (PC version) as the base for the mod install. After Modmerge is run, it looks as if the resulting dialog.tlk is the SOD version. My thoughts about the install:
    - any BGEE file that the mod requires is there, so the mod doesn't complain
    - any SOD file required by the mod is there
    - any modified file by the mod not called by SOD ingame wont be used so it shouldn't matter if it is there...
    - the dialog.tlk are the same for the both PC version and Android; same size anyway and the android version, both vanilla and modifiied worked on the PC.

Hope that makes sense
    Gus
    @Gusinda
    Just tried it now.. still not working :-(... new kits still unvalid text (im mostly using 2 kits preacher of flames and master of the swarn.. )...
    @Mystre, OK, damn... I found that I had compresses lang-en_US.zip so it wouldn't work with the it in the root. I used it as an uncompressed file in the test of BGEE. You could try uncompressed (so that the folder structure is 'lang\en_US\dialog.tlk' if you want or I will upload the 'STORE'd version.

I will also upload version 3 of the modfile which is all STOREd. So instead of unpacking it, just place the file into the root and see what happens.

Sorry about that
    Gus
    @Gusinda,

Still not working.. kinda desperate.. :-( thanks for all your helps.. i think i'm gonna skip SOD if I wanna continue with my toon and continue on BG2.. but kinda sad about that.. :'l
    Gusinda
    @Mystre, well, that is just a pain... Did it work in your BGEE environment? The only other thing I can think of is the removal of dialog.tlk from the patch.obb to see if that works.

Oh well, worth the try
    Enjoy BG2
    Gus
    edited October 2018
    @Gusinda,

You wanna hezr a good new? SoD works fine!! (So far.. just started..).
    So in a last desperate move before installing BG2EE, I try the removal of Dialog.tlk from patch.obb.. with no real hopes... BUT it works! I installed just 2 mod (DUKP and Tweaks).
    At first, I thought there were a bug because, the new kits appears well on the creation of the new character but when I imported mine from BGEE, it still still says that he is just Cleric (the kit is not written everywhere). But with access of my new spells. So i create a brand new toon with the kit, and it seems that in SoD they never show the kit, just the main class (cleric here for me). Vanilla kits appears well.. but if it is just this.. i'm ok with that^^
    I tried casting a spell, no crash. So well, i've just create a new game, importing only my main, not the party. I've just adjust the spells of my toons and save the game. I will play it tonight maybe :-) now I got to go. But thanks once again for all you helps!

My guess is that to play the game in English (with mods), you need to remove Dialog.tlk. When you play in other language (french for me), with @Isaya 's method, it doesn't seem useful. I play BGEE in french, and it was working perfectly. The thing is that SoD isn't available in french.. so I have to play it in english..
    Well I will tell you when I will have finish SoD and would like to continue on BG2EE which one is working...
    Because, BG2EE is not available in french, but there is a way to use the original french dialog from standard BG2. So, anyway, keep you in touch, and once again, thanks for all the helps!!!
    Post edited by Mystre on
    Gusinda
    @Mystre, that's great news indeed. When you installed the mods, did you use the Android base or did you use the PC base game? I am guessing that with the 2 mods you installed, it was the Android base...

Enjoy
    Gus
    Yes, i use the android game base. On my computer I don't have SoD. Just on Android. I've got only BGEE et BG2EE on my computer. In Android, I boughr them All (IWDEE, PSTEE..).
    Gusinda
    Hi @Mystre, just for info... and for others looking to mod SOD.

I purchased SOD in from the latest Google Play offer today and modded it. I had no problems with the modding and didn't have to remove dialog.tlk from the patch.obb or add an additonal dialogf.tlk. I used the base BG1EE\SOD install (GOG) on PC to setup the mods I wanted to use and created a modfile from that config. All went smoothly and the mods run fine in the Android environment.

Gus
    Darkaen