Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    edited October 2018
    Alesia_BH said:

Ah, but the IA world is capless. True, true! And that of course was instrumental to her success. Fighter HLAs and cleric buffs and mid-level mage spells and Improved Alacrity is a pretty insane combination..

That is changed in the later versions though. Multi and dual classes have limited availability to certain hlas such as Alacrity, making the game less of a push over. And most creatures have been buffed to hell as well. Not to mention slower level progression but I suppose solo does not care about that.
    I cannot imagine a solo noreload fmc making it through the IA saga anymore. I can try though. Maybe I will run one next to my new party.
    Blackravenlolien
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Playing solo in Improved Anvil is supposed to be impossible--and a big no-no under the mod's overbearing philosophy. When Saros Shadowfollower beat IA with a solo fighter/mage, the mod creator, Sikret, banned him from Black Wyrm's Lair and then posted a bunch of statements accusing Saros of cheating. It was a spectacular demonstration of the contempt for people who don't play by Sikret's rules.

I've heard that somebody else is now handling the mod, which is good news. But since the mod is designed to be impossible to beat without using a narrow set of prescribed strategies (to the extent that scripts can induce game-breaking bugs if you don't play the game the right way), it wouldn't surprise me if the updates had truly stamped out the last alternative pathways for beating the game.
    GoturalEnuhalStummvonBordwehrCrevsDaak
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    @semiticgod, agreed the F/M/C is even at lower levels super strong. They can fight well, cast and use most good items in the game, except bladed weapons and bows and crossbows. I never missed the bladed weapons, but not being able to se arrows or bolts is a bit of a downside (especially when solo). You'll find your character even stronger in SoD, when you get level 4 (mage and cleric) and 5 (mage) spells, and the extra 1/2 attack from fighter level 7.
    @Grond0, congrats! I don't know if you've started in SoD already, but what works for me, instead of importing, is using the console commands to make an area transition, e.g. back to the Undercity and then back into Bhaal's Temple if needed. That triggers the transition to SoD for me.
    StummvonBordwehrGoturallroumenlolien
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    Thanks @Blackraven. I've actually just finished at the Coast Way, so don't think I'll go back - none of the stuff I lost was that vital, so I don't really mind rolling with it. However, I did just test your method and it works for me too. I'll try (and probably fail) to remember what to do next time ;).
    BlackravenStummvonBordwehrGoturallolien
    edited October 2018
    Alesia_BH said:

lroumen said:

I cannot imagine a solo noreload fmc making it through the IA saga anymore. I can try though. Maybe I will run one next to my new party.

Playing solo in Improved Anvil is supposed to be impossible--and a big no-no under the mod's overbearing philosophy.

Yuppers. Sikret hated soloing and no reloading (and a lot of other things...). And he sought to make both impossible or very nearly so. At one point he went so far as to insta-kill by script any character that showed up on a scene alone (I believe that would happen in Gromnir's Lair- not sure which version). I found his antics in this respect (and others) misguided, limiting, and unintentionally hilarious. Sikret was a talented modder, but he had an unpleasant and comically misplaced authoritarian streak (Think Stalin MCing a Hungry, Hungry Hippos Tournament...). The dynamics between SIkret and Saros were full on Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd.

I never liked the mod. And even if I did, I never would have played or immersed myself in the community. The IA culture was authoritarian, elitist and conflict oriented- the precise opposite of what a player community should be, in my opinion. Hopefully the community has changed under new leadership. While it was never to my taste, the IA mod did have its merits. It was a shame that that work was buried under a mountain of buffle-headedness.

Anyhoo, my intent wasn't really to talk about IA: It was to talk about F/M/Cs. IA only came up because my limited experience with the class happened to have occurred in IA. Let's talk about F/M/C's, if we're to continue this (And we should do it over in the lounge, I suppose).

Best,

A.

it was V5 where he put all that weird stuff in. And even if he did not kill a solo player, he had countless scripted dispels when a player showed up alone, or some loot like the robe of Vecna would never drop. Yep, I still like the mod for party play. It's just different for a change. And critto removed all of the lame stuff and added more options for fights. He's doing a great job in my opinion.

Anyhow, so we all start the FMC in bg1? I have not enough experience to tackle SoD solo, having played it only once (still noreload though), but okay I'm game.

Edit: oh wait, Semi went with a full party. :)
  • Serg_BlackStriderSerg_BlackStrider Member Posts: 210
    edited October 2018

Honestly, though, Charname's class doesn't seem to matter much in a party run. You've got five other characters to do the real work; Charname's only job is to not die.

Yeah, who cares about those 'expendables'... even if they do all the dirty work for you, if they die for you... All that matters is who enters the Hall of Heroes at the end...

Sorry, but I don't like it... Don't like it at all.
    Blackravenlolien
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Serg_BlackStrider: It's almost as if you see party members like our good friends Minsc and Imoen as human beings with personal worth and meaning instead of robots with no purpose beyond punching monsters until they die pointless deaths. :smile:
    Serg_BlackStriderlolienCrevsDaak
  • Serg_BlackStriderSerg_BlackStrider Member Posts: 210

@Serg_BlackStrider: It's almost as if you see party members like our good friends Minsc and Imoen as human beings with personal worth and meaning instead of robots with no purpose beyond punching monsters until they die pointless deaths. :smile:

Exactly! :)
    semiticgoddessGoturalCrevsDaak
    edited October 2018
    This is why people reload when npcs die.

I think of noreload as needing to be more merciless and resurrect my fallen allies rather than allow reloads to save them from the fourth wall protagonists stupidity (like walking straight across deadly traps or the, hey, let's not spend hours buffing for this fight.... splut....).

Then again, I don't resurrect in noreload runs either. /ponder
    Blackraven